BalletBoyz - England on Fire

BalletBoyz – England on Fire

Sadlers Wells, 8 November 2023

I approached this production with an open mind as I didn’t know what to expect.  I was hoping for something original and sweeping, perhaps telling a story about England in all its glory and its downsides.  Instead, what I got was a muddled mess of a production. 

Based on a book of the same name, England on Fire purports to be about England past, present and future (mostly from the creative aspect), conveyed through a soundscape of music and choreography.  Despite the presence onstage of a live band (two, actually, one being a ‘post punk’ group called Gag Salon who were very good), and pieces from multiple choreographers (including Russell Maliphant), the production did not bind and hold together, and any suggestion of a narrative was lost on me.  We had snippets of Albion:  an amusing trio of Morris Dance characters (and, literally, the only bright spot in a gloom-laden and dark stage), creatures from English folklore lurking about mysteriously without doing anything much, a TV montage of politicians and personalities, three men in orange tunics dancing in front of a backdrop of standing stones (early Britons, perhaps?).  However, none of this was clear enough to impart a story nor even a representation.  Had it not been for the flag of St. George being present onstage most of the time I would not have realised that this piece is about England. 

Whilst live music is always welcome, the soundtrack didn’t engage me.  It made a good accompaniment to the choreography, and was well played, but writing the next day, I can’t remember much about it…except the fabulous drumming and percussion by Angela Wai-Nok Hui.  Gag Salon sang a couple of songs, including the ironic line ‘I am having the time of my life’ and the simile about England that came from the book:  ‘England is a hothouse flower and all the glass is cracked.’  Food for thought. 

Speaking of thinking about food, I found my mind wandering at a couple of points as to what I wanted to eat for dinner.  Much of the choreography involved writhing around the floor, running about and even twerking and I lost interest and zoned out a couple of times.  There was very little cohesion to it, although there were some good moments, such as a dancer imitating a butterfly, the three men in orange, and the three Morris characters.  Whilst individual lights were used well to enhance certain dancers or choreography, the whole performance was presented from amid the gloom that many contemporary choreographers inexplicably seem to favour these days.  Maybe here it was done on purpose to convey a kind of dystopian vision of where this country is at and where it is going.  Each section was introduced by a recorded reading from the book, but often the words were drowned out by the music.  This needs to be recalibrated as the prose is well worth hearing. 

Costumes are a mish-mash of various styles from punkish to hippie and everything in between.  It would seem that they represent facets of English society (especially youth) today. 

Part of the meaning of England on Fire is that the country is on fire with talent and creativity.  This is very true and is embodied by the efforts and dedication of the dancers in this production (it is no longer just ballet boys; half of this cast are females).  I was especially happy to see Oxana Panchenko still dancing, and with commitment.  Her grace cut through choreography that was often chaotic and quasi violent in some places.  I am supposing that this all represents where we are today, but clearly the meaning of the whole piece went over my head.  I was hoping for something much more original than this; something that told a bit of a clear story and spoke to me about England in one way or another.  Having said this, the bleakness and disappointment of where we are now did come across and sent me home feeling quite despondent. Maybe that was the point.

There were many young people in the audience who cheered loudly at the end, but unusually these days for an opening night of a new production there was no standing ovation.  I am giving three stars to represent the live music and the performances by the dancers, and the good intentions behind the concept.  Their aim is true, but it has misfired.

England on Fire is at Sadler’s Wells in London until 11 November

All production photos copyright Thomas Bradshaw

_DSC1663.JPG

_DSC1835.JPG

_DSC1906.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Jan McNulty said:

What on earth are those costumes in the second photograph???

Thanks for the review Sim.

I have referred to them as characters from the Morris Dances, but I may be totally wrong!!  They were wearing the Morris bells so I made that association....

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have referred to them as characters from the Morris Dances, but I may be totally wrong!!  They were wearing the Morris bells so I made that association....

Oh I didn’t notice the bells!  That does make sense though.  In BRB’s R&J the mandolin dancers wear similar outfits (which I really don’t like).

Thanks Sim.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Oh I didn’t notice the bells!  That does make sense though.  In BRB’s R&J the mandolin dancers wear similar outfits (which I really don’t like).

Thanks Sim.

It would be very hard to notice as they were hidden in the depths of the costume.  I caught a fleeting glimpse on one of the dancers but otherwise it was hearing only!

• Like 1

On 25/07/2023 at 15:18, Sebastian said:

Apologies, I should have checked before. This book, despite being only ten years old, is also available to read online for free via the Internet Archive, truly an extraordinary resource. 

16 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

What on earth are those costumes in the second photograph???

Thanks for the review Sim.

16 hours ago, Sim said:

16 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thanks Sim.

16 hours ago, Sim said:

It would be very hard to notice as they were hidden in the depths of the costume.  I caught a fleeting glimpse on one of the dancers but otherwise it was hearing only!

The three Morris dancers (which I also assumed they were) were the highlight of the whole thing for me.

• Like 1

"England is a hothouse flower but all the glass is cracked".  This refrain sadly came across to me as "England is a sh*thouse now and her arse is smacked".  Sorry if that contravenes Forum rules about language.  If the show was supposed to reflect the current wave of creativity, then I missed the point - it just seemed to be an angry rant about what is wrong with the country and I felt thoroughly depressed at the end.  I also notice the lack of a standing ovation which surprised me not a little because of the average age of the audience.

• Like 5

I'm very glad you said they were Morris Dancers @Sim as I would not have realised this otherwise when I saw it last night. I had assumed they were representing The Muppets or the importance of recycling due to wearing costumes comprised of strips of litter.  

I went with a friend who likes more avant garde things than I do and she absolutely loved it and thought it was a lot about the importance of migration. and the challenges people faced getting to the UK.  I didn't get this at all.  I am not sure the plot worked for me but some of the dancing was very pleasant to watch and some of it was a bit of a mess.  I did zone out at points because it wasn't hugely engaging.  I would agree that it would be better if they lit the stage properly.  

This was the second time I'd seen something by Balletboyz and I much preferred the previous piece I saw them do which was inspired by a zen garden.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 09/11/2023 at 13:46, Sim said:

I notice that Louise Leven in her Financial Times review calls them Old English Mummers.  Even though I thought of them as Morris dancers, Mummers makes far more sense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

I notice that Louise Leven in her Financial Times review calls them Old English Mummers.  Even though I thought of them as Morris dancers, Mummers makes far more sense.

What’s a Mummer?!

7 hours ago, Sim said:

What’s a Mummer?!

Mummery is a kind of mediaeval street performance of plays or ceremonies.  The performers (mummers) wear extravagant costumes which disguise their appearance and the performance is usually of an overwrought, exaggerated and even ridiculous or mocking kind.  So in the context of England on Fire the three performers in the rag-and-bell costumes make more sense as mummers than as Morris dancers.

• Thanks 3