Auditions Upper School 2024

Ballet Saga

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Betty said:

Can anyone tell me, are Upper Schools usually for entry aged 16? Are there any that do entry at 18 to allow for children to do A levels? Do many get accepted at Central at 18 if it is aimed at 16 year olds?

If they are entry at 16 are they essentially like private schools ie full fee payment unless on state benefits or extremely gifted and get some kind of bursary?

Hi Betty funding for UK applicants is available in the form of the Dance and Drama Awards (DaDa) for Trinity diplomas - the school will allocate these but sometimes there isn’t enough money for everyone to benefit, depending on the intake. This reduces the fees from 21,000 to at most £7,000 on a sliding scale to almost nothing according to your income. If your income exceeds 90,000 you have to pay full fees. The maintenance funding is available also but only on those with a smaller income. Scholarships are sometimes offered to particularly talented students or those who have won competitions. 
Some upper schools offer degrees such as Central and with this comes student loans of £9,000 a year. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter has been offered a place at Tring and a Dada audition.  Does anyone know how many dancers there are likely to be at the funding audition and what proportion are likely to receive a significant award?  We’re delighted she’s received this offer and are trying not to get our hopes up because we are dependent on the funding.  Thanks in advance. 

On 29/01/2024 at 14:51, JJBalletMum said:

My daughter has been offered a place at Tring and a Dada audition.  Does anyone know how many dancers there are likely to be at the funding audition and what proportion are likely to receive a significant award?  We’re delighted she’s received this offer and are trying not to get our hopes up because we are dependent on the funding.  Thanks in advance. 

With DADA funding, the schools have a pot of money to allocate and are required to rank the students according to their merrit. They then offer from the top down, so it always depends on the income assessment of those at the top of the list, to work out how far it goes. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/01/2024 at 10:30, Betty said:

Can anyone tell me, are Upper Schools usually for entry aged 16? Are there any that do entry at 18 to allow for children to do A levels? Do many get accepted at Central at 18 if it is aimed at 16 year olds?

If they are entry at 16 are they essentially like private schools ie full fee payment unless on state benefits or extremely gifted and get some kind of bursary?

Look at Hammond. LMA, LSC, Rambert, Central and Bird (ballet string). All of these will take at 18 after A levels. You also now have the Carlos Acosta route which is 14k a year. PM if you need details.

Edited by Jan McNulty
Edited to remove mention of a school not discussed on this forum

On 11/12/2023 at 18:44, Swanwings said:

To my knowledge RCS, ENBS and Central do not ask for solo's. Dd is at vocational lower school and they are preparing the students for auditions; there is no mention of a solo for them, no mention on the website and to my knowledge the previous years did not do them either.

Happy to be corrected if anyone knows more??

For the finals they will require improv. So, if your DD has a solo for ballet or contemporary, its good they tap into that,  even if they are just asked to improv for 16 counts:)

• Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 00:36, theunderdog said:

Look at Hammond. LMA, LSC, Rambert, Central and Bird (ballet string). All of these will take at 18 after A levels. You also now have the Carlos Acosta route which is 14k a year. PM if you need details.

Can you explain which course Bird (ballet string) is please.  I can only see MT courses.    Thank you for your help. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

DD has the ENBS finals on 22nd March we received an email today with a long form we need to get the GP to complete by the end of next week. Not sure how we are going to manage this as it’s about a 2 week wait for a doctors appointment unless it’s an emergency! Did anyone else get this? 

You don't normally need to see a GP to have this form completed. These form are completed for a fee so it's usually a call to reception to organise and pay. Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crazylife said:

You don't normally need to see a GP to have this form completed. These form are completed for a fee so it's usually a call to reception to organise and pay. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately this one has to be completed alongside an examination it says as the questions are things like current condition of throat and gums, are glands enlarged etc 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, La sylphide said:

Unfortunately this one has to be completed alongside an examination it says as the questions are things like current condition of throat and gums, are glands enlarged etc 

It must have changed from last year. All you can do is contact your GP and explain - and good luck. 

• Thanks 2

My DD had this last year, we went privately as the GP was too busy and it’s a longer appointment than a regular one, very detailed. It’s annoying having to pay but one of those expenses that in our case was unavoidable. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2024 at 18:12, Kerfuffle said:

My DD had this last year, we went privately as the GP was too busy and it’s a longer appointment than a regular one, very detailed. It’s annoying having to pay but one of those expenses that in our case was unavoidable. 

I thought the audition medicals was just the standard additional cost to factor in. But wait until the graduate requires medicals for visas. They are on another level (cost) entirely. Blood tests/x-rays/ECG to name just a few. On the plus side, it’s like having an MOT so you can wave them off with some peace of mind 😊

• Like 2

13 hours ago, balletbean said:

I thought the audition medicals was just the standard additional cost to factor in. But wait until the graduate requires medicals for visas. They are on another level (cost) entirely. Blood tests/x-rays/ECG to name just a few. On the plus side, it’s like having an MOT so you can wave them off with some peace of mind 😊

My son has danced in both the US and Europe and has never had to have a medical for a visa 😅

Is this a new thing ? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lifeafterballet said:

My son has danced in both the US and Europe and has never had to have a medical for a visa 😅

Is this a new thing ? 

I’m not sure, my DD required a visa for China. The full work up. Which was repeated again upon arrival in the country. Incl the dreaded blood tests (she doesn’t do needles).😬  😅

• Like 1