Auditions Upper School 2024

Ballet Saga

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some rough dates from previous years; obviously these are subject to change!

RCS - prelims 27th Jan

finals 28/29th March

RBS - prelims last weekend Nov/ Beg Dec

finals Feb/Mar (last year 5th Mar)

ENBS - prelims mid Jan/ mid Feb

finals late March

Elmhurst - prelims mid Jan/Early Feb

finals Mid March

Central - prelims end Jan

finals early April

Rambert - prelims several dates through Jan/early Feb

finals 17th/20th March

Tring - prelims mid Jan

finals mid March

Arts Ed - one audition several dates through Dec/ Feb

LSC - auditions though Dec - Apr

Hope this is useful, I'm sure dates will be released in September for most, my understanding is that RBS is the first one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just a note re Elmhurst - last year the prelim was a video round - with videos  due by the first week in December. Results for the semi- final round were sent before Christmas, I think DDs semi was the 25th Jan.

We didn’t do RBS or ENBS but think those had an extra video round too.

Edited by margarite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NBS - one audition, generally on a Monday starting mid/late Nov, with multiple dates on offer which continue into the new year after a short break over the Christmas holidays. 
Results announced swiftly.  
Unsure if the process has changed now but previously decisions on a DaDa were done in April without the requirement for actual attendance. 

From personal experience it’s best to choose an earlier audition date as they are before UCAS deadlines.  Which can help, if successful when sourcing accommodation as NBS is surrounded by several large universities.  

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swanwings said:

I have some rough dates from previous years; obviously these are subject to change!

RCS - prelims 27th Jan

finals 28/29th March

RBS - prelims last weekend Nov/ Beg Dec

finals Feb/Mar (last year 5th Mar)

ENBS - prelims mid Jan/ mid Feb

finals late March

Elmhurst - prelims mid Jan/Early Feb

finals Mid March

Central - prelims end Jan

finals early April

Rambert - prelims several dates through Jan/early Feb

finals 17th/20th March

Tring - prelims mid Jan

finals mid March

Arts Ed - one audition several dates through Dec/ Feb

LSC - auditions though Dec - Apr

Hope this is useful, I'm sure dates will be released in September for most, my understanding is that RBS is the first one.

Thank you for this 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can give the dates that my daughter had this year, if it helps....

Elmhurst:

Preliminary video, photos, application form.

Results emailed on 23rd Dec.

Semi-final - 18th Jan.

Results emailed on 1st Feb.

Finals - 15/16th March.

Results emailed on 25th March.

Tring:

Application form and photos.

Preliminary audition - 13th November 

Results emailed on 17th November

Funding audition - 19th March

Results emailed on 23rd March

Northern Ballet School

Audition - 14th Jan

Results emailed on 20th Jan

(Only one round in process - which is quite nice if you have to travel!)

Hammond

Audition - 9th Jan

Results emailed on 16th Jan (although also given to my daughter during her interview, on the day)

(Only one round in process - which is quite nice if you have to travel!)

Royal Ballet School

Preliminary audition - 27th Nov.

Results emailed on 30th Nov.

But she totally messed up in her audition so I can't help with further dates 😂

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/10/2023 at 18:31, La sylphide said:

We sent in our tring screening info and have received an audition date for January 14 2024. I was expecting it to be November as this is the audition date currently showing on the website as not full. Has anyone else received a later date? 

Apparently they have opened up the date in January now so other people are also getting January. And the ones who applied earlier got November. 

• Thanks 1

RCS haven’t updated their selection process on their website yet.  Has anyone managed to find out anything about their photographic requirements?  We’ve had the auditions photos taken already because of RBS’s early deadline and hoping we’ve got what we need for RCS!

14 hours ago, JJBalletMum said:

RCS haven’t updated their selection process on their website yet.  Has anyone managed to find out anything about their photographic requirements?  We’ve had the auditions photos taken already because of RBS’s early deadline and hoping we’ve got what we need for RCS!

A lot of the other schools have changed to just wanting a head shot fingers crossed they will be the same. 
I emailed them back at the beginning of September about the educational reference as my daughter is home schooled and still haven’t received any response. 

I think any course where entry is via UCAS or that’s basically university only requires headshot…. I wonder if this is because of standard forms or also to be seen as non discriminatory…. Not sure that’s really the word I mean but I’m sure you understand… 

• 1 month later...

@WhereToNow the deadline for ENBS was actually yesterday, not today. So I really hope you got yours in 🤞🏻

From what I can work out, it’s fairly soon to be contacted, but I am baffled by the website and the table of dates. It reads as if it’s just the video audition and then a final, but I keep reading about prelims, even though they are not listed or mentioned 🤷🏻‍♀️ Am I reading the table wrong? 

@La sylphide that is very helpful, thank you 😁 

I have a question about solos for the final rounds. I’ll pop it here as it makes the most sense to keep all 2024 audition chat in one place, but I can repost in a separate post if nobody sees this.

SOLOS:

What is required for ENBS, Tring, NBS, Central and RCS ? 

DD has great jazzy solo she can do that’s 1.45 minutes in length. She can do that for Rambert (who we know have said they DON’T want a rep ballet piece) and also Tring. We spoke to a teacher from Tring recently and they advised a non ballet solo that moves around the floor would be fine. If NBS also need a solo, that would do too. 

Presumably, Central and ENBS would want a ballet solo though? If so, what? 🤷🏻‍♀️ For someone who has never done a competition or a festival, it’s so hard. Would an old ballet solo from a graded or vocational exam do? Perhaps with adjustments? Or is that definitely a no no?

What are the general (or specific) rules regarding length of solo, dress code (same leotard as the ballet class or can they change?), music, etc.

Any advice from the last few years would be really valuable in getting organised in advance so they don’t all come at once if DD is lucky enough to get through to any of these 🤞🏻

To my knowledge RCS, ENBS and Central do not ask for solo's. Dd is at vocational lower school and they are preparing the students for auditions; there is no mention of a solo for them, no mention on the website and to my knowledge the previous years did not do them either.

Happy to be corrected if anyone knows more??

Edited by Swanwings

16 hours ago, Sunflower said:

@WhereToNow the deadline for ENBS was actually yesterday, not today. So I really hope you got yours in 🤞🏻

From what I can work out, it’s fairly soon to be contacted, but I am baffled by the website and the table of dates. It reads as if it’s just the video audition and then a final, but I keep reading about prelims, even though they are not listed or mentioned 🤷🏻‍♀️ Am I reading the table wrong? 

We got it in a few weeks ago.  I just wanted to know when we would hear back from them, I’m not very patient 😂

They do videos, if successful then prelims in February and then finals are in March.

Tring are definitely not bothered by what genre the solo is.  I think they just want to see them move outside of a class.  It would also stand out against all the ballet solos I imagine they see!

Central - no solo - first date for audition was Friday last week.  No one has mentioned a solo to me.

ENBS - No solo, if they follow same as last year.  Also no mention in audition pack.

DD did solos for Tring, NBS, Hammond and Rambert last year 👍. Her solo was a minute-long, which was the general requirement. Apart from Rambert specifying no classical ballet, the genre was up to the applicant. DD did a contemporary routine. No solo at Central or Elmhurst.

Thank you @Swanwings @WhereToNow and @margarite

I am finding it all somewhat of a minefield 😆 And dates have snuck up on me.

That is such useful information, thank you.

DD can stick with her jazzy solo and not need to panic about a ballet one. 

Good luck to everyone currently applying as we wait to see 🤞🏻 And I hope we both hear back soon from ENBS @WhereToNow

• Like 2

So sorry completely new to all the upper school (16+) application system. Would anyone be able to explain please what course my DD has to apply for on Central? Is it the undergraduate form to complete on their website? So confused 🙈. When is the deadline for CSB, Rambert & NSB?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macmac said:

So sorry completely new to all the upper school (16+) application system. Would anyone be able to explain please what course my DD has to apply for on Central? Is it the undergraduate form to complete on their website? So confused 🙈. When is the deadline for CSB, Rambert & NSB?

Yes, its the undergraduate form. I believe the others are the 1 yr degree top up (which comes after) and the MA (which comes after that). Closing date for CSB is 19th Jan. I dont know the other ones, they will be on the website though.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2023 at 18:46, Swanwings said:

Yes, its the undergraduate form. I believe the others are the 1 yr degree top up (which comes after) and the MA (which comes after that). Closing date for CSB is 19th Jan. I dont know the other ones, they will be on the website though.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 14:58, Macmac said:

Re NBS. They don’t specify a deadline for applications. Used to be first come first served for choice of auditions. Dates have been posted on their Instagram page.  First one after the holidays is on the 20th January. One round.  Results normally posted an about a week afterwards. Dada’s aren’t awarded until sometime after all auditions are held.  Which for 2024 is the 2nd March. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Can anyone tell me, are Upper Schools usually for entry aged 16? Are there any that do entry at 18 to allow for children to do A levels? Do many get accepted at Central at 18 if it is aimed at 16 year olds?

If they are entry at 16 are they essentially like private schools ie full fee payment unless on state benefits or extremely gifted and get some kind of bursary?