ROH escalator maintenance - from mid July to end August

From the latest Friends email

"From 17 July until the end of August, our escalators will be undergoing essential maintenance. There will be alternative routes in place but it may take a little longer to get around our building, so please do allow a little extra time when visiting us and getting to your seats.  

We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause. Our visitor experience team will be on hand to assist you. "

Something to factor in if you are planning a visit - or intending to meet up with friends siting in a different part of the house.  There aren't that many lifts and the existing stairs may get very congested. 

I remember the old stone stairs that you had to use to get up to the amphi pre the redevelopment.  Always needed a rest half way up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I'm a Friend (and have tickets booked in July and August) and haven't received this info. Shouldn't they send it to all Friends (and indeed all ticket-holders)? Or will they do this in batches? (And if so, why?). Why are ROH communications so baffling??

Guest oncnp
9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'm a Friend (and have tickets booked in July and August) and haven't received this info. Shouldn't they send it to all Friends (and indeed all ticket-holders)? Or will they do this in batches? (And if so, why?). Why are ROH communications so baffling??

Did you get the 14th July Friend's newsletter?  Under ACCESS UPDATE 

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, bridiem said:

No - I haven't received a Friends e-newsletter since 5 May.

Mine have been coming about every 2 weeks so an inquiry to the Friend's office might be necessary. 

12 hours ago, bridiem said:

OK, thank you.

And check your spam / junk folder.  Your email service may have ‘decided’ to send it there.  

That’s where my emails from Dutch National Ballet often, but not always, end up.  I’ve no idea how to fix this.  I would be grateful for a tutorial from someone who knows.

8 minutes ago, FionaE said:

That’s where my emails from Dutch National Ballet often, but not always, end up.  I’ve no idea how to fix this.  I would be grateful for a tutorial from someone who knows.

Does your email provider have the option of a list of ‘safe senders’? Most do. If they provide this option, all you need to do is add them to this list.

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

And check your spam / junk folder.  Your email service may have ‘decided’ to send it there.  

Thanks, but I do check my spam folder whenever something appears in it and there's been nothing from the ROH.

15 hours ago, Lynette H said:

I remember the old stone stairs that you had to use to get up to the amphi pre the redevelopment.  Always needed a rest half way up.

Yes, and when that was preceded by the never ending staircase at Covent Garden tube station, coupled with a ‘not a minute to spare’ arrival, it was particularly exhausting, even when I was young and fit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

Does your email provider have the option of a list of ‘safe senders’? Most do. If they provide this option, all you need to do is add them to this list.

I do have that option.  And they still seem to sometimes end up in spam.  Irritatingly

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, LinMM said:

It’s a pity this could not have been delayed by a couple of weeks as then it could all have taken place between seasons thus causing no problems for audiences. 

Perhaps they didn't have a choice? That's when the outside firm who does their maintenance could do it?  Or the phrase "essential maintenance" always conjures up broken or about-to-break for me 

Given the quote in the first post says "17 July until the end of August" presumably about 6 weeks is required to do the maintenence. There's barely a month's gap between the last Australian Ballet performance on 6th August and the Friends' rehearsal of Rheingold on 9th September which starts the next season, so therefore the maintenance would have to coincide with some performances at one end or the other of the summer break.

• Like 2

Thanks Dawnstar….reminding me opera exists as well as Ballet!! I had only been thinking about ballet performances 🙄

That means no dashing around in intervals to meet up with friends in the Amphi then…although yesterday I did find a short cut from the Balcony into the Floral Hall and then up the escalator which meant not so many stairs to climb on the way back as I was going down into the main (old) entrance and back up to Balcony from there 

Goodness knows why it’s taken me SO long to discover this 🙄

Old habits die hard I suppose. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

Work had already started when I was at the ROH for this afternoon's Jette Parker Artists' Summer Performance.  Only one escalator was working.  It could be used to go up to the amphitheatre level but, to go down, it was necessary to use either the lifts or the stairs.  I imagine that this arrangement will remain for the Summer performances, i.e. that they'll only work on one escalator at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2