RBS Graduate destinations 2023

The programme booklet for the RBS performances at Opera Holland Park this week lists the contracts for this years graduates. 

Six join the RB Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme (Bethany Bartlett, Sierra Glasheen, Seung See Han, Caspar Lench, Isabella Shaker, Blake Smith). 

Four join BRB / BRB2 (Ariana Allen, Tom Hazleby, Sasha Manuel, Alfie Shacklock).

Other destinations include Joffrey Studio Company (2), Finnish National Ballet Junior Company, National Ballet of Canada, ABT Studio Company, Norwegian National Ballet 2, Royal Danish Ballet, Dresden, Houston Ballet II, Boston Ballet II, Orlando Ballet II, Europaballet, Hungarian National Ballet, Dutch National Ballet Junior Company.   

I can't find a link on the RBS site for this at the moment, hope I have transcribed correctly. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Did it say where Milde is going. 
I had a feeling she might be too tall for RB and imagine she might choose one of the Dutch Companies. Very pleased to see Caspar Lench is joining the Royal though!! 

1 hour ago, Tiaramum said:

Well done to Caspar - he made it right from Year 7 at WL to Aud Jebsen young dancers.

That is a real achievement in the face of all the 'assessing out' which now goes on along that 8 year RBS journey.

Congratulations Caspar.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, capybara said:

That is a real achievement in the face of all the 'assessing out' which now goes on along that 8 year RBS journey.

Congratulations Caspar.

And he was very watchable in the recent run of Sleeping Beauty. He always looked as though he really enjoyed being on stage and watching the dancers in Act 3.

• Like 3

Whoops! I’ve just caught a video of a dancer at RBS called Katie Robertson and I have a feeling I may have been muddling her with Beth Bartlett!!
They were both dancing in Don Q on the 20th so unless they look very alike I’m sure now it could have been Katie’s performance as she had a solo part too. 
Anyway all the soloists were pretty good that night so very glad lots of these dancers have found such good placements for next years season. 

Still can’t find out what’s happening to Darrion Sellman. 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Whoops! I’ve just caught a video of a dancer at RBS called Katie Robertson and I have a feeling I may have been muddling her with Beth Bartlett!!
They were both dancing in Don Q on the 20th so unless they look very alike I’m sure now it could have been Katie’s performance as she had a solo part too. 

Katie was Amour in the June 20 performance of Don Q.

https://static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/NextGenerationFestival2023/NGF2023RBS20June-v3.pdf

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DD Driver said:

Does anyone know which of the headshots in this article belong to the 6 dancers joining the RB? It would be nice to know what they look like to try to spot them in the ensemble next season. (The headshots are clearly not in the order of the list of names.)

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Anyway all the soloists were pretty good that night so very glad lots of these dancers have found such good placements for next years season. 

Still can’t find out what’s happening to Darrion Sellman. 

Via his Instagram DS is moving to Royal Swedish Ballet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone know which of the headshots in this article belong to the 6 dancers joining the RB? It would be nice to know what they look like to try to spot them in the ensemble next season. (The headshots are clearly not in the order of the list of names.)

I've sent you a PM as I'm not sure it's OK to name students on a public forum.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NikkiB said:

Beth and Blake have also been with The Royal since year 7.

I've just checked an old RBS programme. The class lists, in these programmes, used to have an asterisk by the names of the students who, before joining White Lodge, had been Junior, Mid or Senior Associates of the RBS.  Caspar, Beth and Blake all have asterisks - i.e. they've been associated with the School for more than 8 years.

• Like 3

I don’t know why ROH cannot update the dancers promotions when they are announced … other companies do.  

It’s easy to change their rank and write “xxx will dance as a soloist from 2023/24 season”

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 3

Guest oncnp
17 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I don’t know why ROH cannot update the dancers promotions when they are announced … other companies do.  

It’s easy to change their rank and write “xxx will dance as a soloist from 2023/24 season”

Too busy cleaning up the DonQ mess? (Tongue firmly in cheek)

Edited by oncnp

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

But the website comes under the ROH umbrella, not the RB as such. The other companies are fortunate in being able to do their own thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capybara said:

But the website comes under the ROH umbrella, not the RB as such. The other companies are fortunate in being able to do their own thing.

I was thinking of Amsterdam and Munich, both of which have similar opera and ballet and theatre under one roof 😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/07/2023 at 21:17, NikkiB said:

Beth and Blake have also been with The Royal since year 7.

Blake Smith has a really lovely FB page which has photos of his 'journey' from a tiny up until now! I suspect a proud relative helps out. He was a JA and has done so well to make it all the way through given the competition there is now:

https://www.facebook.com/people/Blake-Smith/100051575174022/

Endearing photo & piece in a local newspaper, from when he was 10:

https://gloucesternewscentre.co.uk/off-to-the-royal-ballet-school-for-local-gloucester-boy/

But for beauty in movement, look no further than the excerpts from Christopher Wheeldon’s Within the Golden Hour, one of his best abstract works that sees the dancers moving to music by Antonio Vivaldi and Ezio Bosso. Guillem Cabrera Espinach and Tom Hazelby were excellent in their visceral duet, while Sierra Glasheen and Blake Smith were all sensuality in their much more subtle, beautifully understated pas de deux.

https://www.seeingdance.com/royal-ballet-school-230622/

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Updating this thread as there is an interesting & thoughtful interview now published with Bethany (Beth) Bartlett, who, along with Blake Smith (see above) is 'home grown talent'. 😊

Rosemary Woodwark School of Dance Devon, JA, White Lodge, Upper School, now Aud Jebson dancer with the RB.

https://www.roh.org.uk/people/bethany-bartlett

From Student To Star | Bethany Bartlett | The Royal Ballet

https://www.balletnews.co.uk/from-student-to-star-bethany-bartlett-the-royal-ballet/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Updating this thread as there is an interesting & thoughtful interview now published with Bethany (Beth) Bartlett, who, along with Blake Smith (see above) is 'home grown talent'. 😊

Rosemary Woodwark School of Dance Devon, JA, White Lodge, Upper School, now Aud Jebson dancer with the RB.

https://www.roh.org.uk/people/bethany-bartlett

From Student To Star | Bethany Bartlett | The Royal Ballet

https://www.balletnews.co.uk/from-student-to-star-bethany-bartlett-the-royal-ballet/

All in her own words 😊

• Like 3