Questions regarding dancing timetable for a 9 year-old!

Garnier

This is my first time posting after having been lurking for a while! It's been so interesting reading all your posts and i'm thrilled to join this community. 

My soon-to-be-9-year-old, who has been doing ballet for a year (twice a week), will be starting a special 'strengthened ballet' programme in our city in September and I need to make some decisions regarding her weekly timetable. She will have three or four classes in total: two 'regular' ballet classes for 9 year-olds, one 'special' ballet class for 9 and 10 year-old children who have passed the audition for the special programme, and one optional contemporary dance class (also just for the 9 and 10 year-old children who have passed the audition). I would love to hear your thoughts on the following:

- What do you think of back-to-back classes for a 9 year-old? Is it better to have the 4 classes spread throughout the week, or would it make no difference and be absolutely fine to have two of the classes (regular + special) back-to-back, thus saving one trip per week? My hunch says 4 classes spread out is better, but maybe that's not the case? The way the timetable works means that many of the other 9 year-old children would be doing these back-to-back classes, so she wouldn't be the only one (but none of the 10 year-olds would, so presumably the class is not designed specifically for children who have just come out of another class).

- For the 'regular' classes, either she can stay at her current school (which she's happy with, it's easier for us access-wise and the teacher is great, but she would most likely be the strongest dancer in the group), or we could move her to the same school as where the 'special' class in, meaning that there would (presumably) be a few children who would also have passed the audition and would follow both their regular classes and the special class there. Does it matter at this age what the level of the other children in the class is? When I say 'level', I don't mean in terms of learning steps etc as the sequencing of learning through the years is harmonized across the country, but more in terms of quality of movement, general artistry etc. 

- The contemporary dance class is optional and I've seen on this forum that many people seem to think that contemporary is best reserved for older students (this was certainly the view when I was learning ballet many yonks ago!). However, presumably as it's a specific class for this age group it must be age-appropriate I assume - does anyone know what it might involve? I have to admit that I don't know much about contemporary dance, although I would have loved the opportunity to do it when I was younger!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

On 05/07/2023 at 20:30, Garnier said:

This is my first time posting after having been lurking for a while! It's been so interesting reading all your posts and i'm thrilled to join this community. 

My soon-to-be-9-year-old, who has been doing ballet for a year (twice a week), will be starting a special 'strengthened ballet' programme in our city in September and I need to make some decisions regarding her weekly timetable. She will have three or four classes in total: two 'regular' ballet classes for 9 year-olds, one 'special' ballet class for 9 and 10 year-old children who have passed the audition for the special programme, and one optional contemporary dance class (also just for the 9 and 10 year-old children who have passed the audition). I would love to hear your thoughts on the following:

- What do you think of back-to-back classes for a 9 year-old? Is it better to have the 4 classes spread throughout the week, or would it make no difference and be absolutely fine to have two of the classes (regular + special) back-to-back, thus saving one trip per week? My hunch says 4 classes spread out is better, but maybe that's not the case? The way the timetable works means that many of the other 9 year-old children would be doing these back-to-back classes, so she wouldn't be the only one (but none of the 10 year-olds would, so presumably the class is not designed specifically for children who have just come out of another class).

- For the 'regular' classes, either she can stay at her current school (which she's happy with, it's easier for us access-wise and the teacher is great, but she would most likely be the strongest dancer in the group), or we could move her to the same school as where the 'special' class in, meaning that there would (presumably) be a few children who would also have passed the audition and would follow both their regular classes and the special class there. Does it matter at this age what the level of the other children in the class is? When I say 'level', I don't mean in terms of learning steps etc as the sequencing of learning through the years is harmonized across the country, but more in terms of quality of movement, general artistry etc. 

- The contemporary dance class is optional and I've seen on this forum that many people seem to think that contemporary is best reserved for older students (this was certainly the view when I was learning ballet many yonks ago!). However, presumably as it's a specific class for this age group it must be age-appropriate I assume - does anyone know what it might involve? I have to admit that I don't know much about contemporary dance, although I would have loved the opportunity to do it when I was younger!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Does it not depend on the length of the class? I should imagine 4hrs for a 9yo twice a week would be more full on than 2hrs four times a week.

I'm no expert and defer to others with more experience but I don't think age is a good indicator of level.

Personally, I'd leave the optional contemporary class. First it sounds like she will be doing quite a bit. Second, contemporary she can always pick up later. Aged 8/9 seems to be quite young from comments I've heard from all England judges... But that's just me. All the best, she sounds like a delight! 

• Like 2

I'm always wary of these 'special programmes' run by ordinary dance schools. Essentially they are a way to 'poach' the best children from other dance schools because what happens is, like you've already considered, 'would it not be better to move her to the school where this strengthened ballet programme is?!'. I think that at age 9, two ballet lessons a week with a good teacher is plenty. I'd only add to this if the teacher or programme was something like Royal Ballet School or Elmhurst, where the curriculum and classes are age appropriate and work with your DD's current teacher. 

My pupils do back to back classes without any problems although this is on Saturdays and the classes are of different dance styles.

• Like 5

Hi Garnier and welcome from me too.  I agree with HopelessMummy and Ddance; it depends on class length etc but overall that does sound like a lot at age 9.  I’d definitely drop the Contemporary class, because back when dd started at Central Preps/Pre-Seniors, the 11 year olds in Prep 1 didn’t do Contemporary, they did “Creative dance” which is a precursor to Contemporary.   That was on a Saturday and if I remember correctly, she wasn’t there longer than about 3 hours at that age.

I did, and still do think that at 9, children should still be doing a range of hobbies (swimming, music, Brownies/Cubs etc.) and also allowing time for homework and just being a child.  😊

• Like 3

Thanks so much, this is so helpful! I really appreciate all these thoughtful answers!

Apologies for not having been clear (I think in my attempt to stay vague to avoid giving information that would allow my child to be identified I missed out on giving some critical information!) - it's actually not an "ordinary" dance school - it's the network of public conservatories where we live (not in the UK) that offers this 'strengthened' programme to children drawn from across all the conservatories in the city who are the same age and 'level' (for the 9 and 10 year-olds, they will be in their second and third year respectively of studying ballet, because classical training here starts the age of 8 - before that it's more "movement-to-music").

The idea is that the kids who are particularly interested in dance can audition for this particular programme (which basically adds on the one extra class of ballet per week, plus optionally the contemporary, plus some one-off workshops on specific ballet-related topics at various moments during the year - all at no extra cost for the families).  So definitely no poaching involved - it was actually my daughter's teacher who suggested she audition for the programme and this teacher is in close contact with the teachers of the 'special' class. So yes, I think it's a bit like your Junior Associates programme in the UK (from what I understand of it!), without the additional costs involved. It really seems like a fantastic programme and my daughter is thrilled to have been accepted.

The classes (both 'regular' and 'special') are 1.5 hours long each. So basically, it would be 4.5 hours of ballet per week (which as several of you have pointed out does seem like a lot!). Based on what you've said, we will spread out the hours across the week rather than going for the back-to-back classes.

Great advice also the contemporary! I will definitely take it on board. I also agree children at this age need to be doing lots of different things and just generally enjoying life!

Edited by Garnier
  • Like 2

I think 90 minute classes at this age are a bit much.  At least in my opinion.  Our students of that age do twice a week ballet of one hour and that's it. The school year, when they are 9 going on 10, add on more hours and longer lessons, but still don't have back to back classes.   I also agree with the others that it's a bit early for contemporary.  Your daughter sounds very talented - you obviously want to encourage her, but perhaps take it a bit slower and less intense at this age.

• Like 2

Thanks Dance is life! While I think my daughter is a lovely dancer (of course I do!), I don’t anticipate a career for her in this field. So the classes are really for fun, général artistic and cultural development, and hopefully the beginning of a lifelong love of dance. I certainly have no intention of putting her through an intensive training programme so it’s good to hear what is considered normal and age-appropriate. 

i do have a question - when you say that your students who are in the school year where they are 9 going on 10 have longer hours and more classes, I believe that is the same age/school year that my daughter will be in when she starts this programme - the equivalent of Year 5 in the UK? Or did I misunderstand? 

Thanks again!

They start proper school here at 6, but before that there are two years of compulsary kindergarten. Our students who turn 10 during the school year are usually in Grade 3 ballet.  They get 75 minute ballet classes 2× a week plus an hour flamenco. They have an intro to modern class added on the following year in Grade 4.  From Grade 5 when they're turning 12, they get 90 minute classes and add on jazz technique classes.   When they are 13/14 they get an extra classical class.  Obviously in every level there are younger and older students.   In regular school in first grade there are kids who start at 5 (intake is up to Mid December turning 6) but also kids who are nearly 7.  My 9 year old grandson whose birthday is in January had to wait to start school. His sister who is 18 months younger is a year behind him rather than 2 years as she would be in the UK.  His cousin whose birthday is in October, so is only 2 months older, is a year above him in school!!   That's why I can't really compare school years! :)

• Like 2

Haha got it - it's definitely a headache comparing the school years, and dance training systems seem even more complicated! Just to add another layer, I'm beginning to think that maybe what is called "contemporary" here is actually what would be called "modern" or even "creative dance" in the UK, because the norm for starting 'contemporary' here is definitely 8 or 9 years old - I'm not even sure whether it's possible to start it at a later age if you are going through the public system. The mysteries of inter-cultural understanding 😀

Your explanation is very clear and helpful though! You have also inspired me to try to find a flamenco class for myself - have always wanted to try it!

I think it really depends on the kid. Some are able to take 90-minute classes at that age, others are not. You know your child daughter best! But if I were you, I would go for the stronger programme. Good ballet classes are rare and being the best in the class might be good for the ego, but not good for learning. Contemporary, however, I wouldn´t take. I think it only disturbs the learning process in ballet until a dancer is pretty advanced! 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2023 at 21:18, Aurora3 said:

I think it really depends on the kid. Some are able to take 90-minute classes at that age, others are not. You know your child daughter best! But if I were you, I would go for the stronger programme. Good ballet classes are rare and being the best in the class might be good for the ego, but not good for learning. Contemporary, however, I wouldn´t take. I think it only disturbs the learning process in ballet until a dancer is pretty advanced! 

Thanks - great points!

Although I am a ballet teacher and devotee to learning ballet technique first, I am also very aware of the fact that most classical ballet companies include more contemporary ballets in their repertoires nowadays and that classical ballet dancers need to be versatile and trained in modern technique to be able to dance everything.  Also, in an after school programme like ours, there are very few who have the physical attributes to become classical ballet dancers, however strong they might be technically in classical ballet.  The classical technique, however, allows them to advance really well in all the other dance genres, so that when we do add them on, the students adapt to them easily and often find that they excel at them. 

• Like 3