Virtual Queues for Booking Ballet Tickets.

I've just had my first ever experience of a virtual ticket queue - booking for  Birmingham Royal Ballet Coppelia at the Birmingham Hippodrome this week, using the Hippodrome website. 

While trying not to sound too precious, or 'first-world-problem-ish' or like an outraged Lady Bracknell, I've never had to do this to buy ballet tickets (or any other tickets) before in my life. I waited 20 minutes- I'm impatient - that's an eternity compared to what I'm used to (zero waiting time). 

Maybe I sound very naive but I don't really see why this virtual queueing is necessary. I have on occasion in the news heard of some huge venues/events having problems with websites crashing when too many people rush to buy. But  - no offence to Birm, Hippodrome and BRB Coppelia - I wouldn't have expected that to be the case for this venue/event. 

Brief search on this forum shows people do experience such virtual queues booking for Royal Opera House but no mentions of Birm. Hippodrome that I can find. 

Am I old, jaded and cynical in thinking that this enforced waiting may be some sort of tactic to generate higher profit (I don't know how). ? A bit like the built-in obsolescence of incandescent light bulbs?

I'm just whinging really but does anyone share my pain? Thanks BalletcoForum for giving the forum to do so.🙂 

Edited by northstar

perhaps your visit to the website coincided with another event going onsale at that venue that people were piling in for. or, there could have been behind the scenes site maintenance slowing it down.  that said, i agree that there are more and more virtual barriers slowing down website/webpage access. the ROH website "loading seat availability" page is a prime example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Northstar,

In this digital age I was checking my BRB tickets on line and I had to queue to log into my account last week!  OK I was only queuing for a minute but it is still frustrating.

I don't print my tickets off so it would be a bit frustrating if I was having to visually queue for 20 minutes to show them 10 minutes before the show begins!

I've just had a look this morning and, of course, no queue!

• Thanks 1

On the day that booking opened for the Lion King, I wanted to check something on the Hippodrome website.  I was around 8,700 in the queue at around 10 am that day and still hadn't reached the front of the queue when I left the office around 6 pm.  Luckily I got through to the box office on the 'phone after about 25 minutes and the friendly, helpful and efficient staff sorted me out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much all, Lion King I guess could indeed be the culprit. 😂. Just surprised this has never happened to me before at any other venue or event. Yes, I did think about ringing the box office. Would have done if I'd had to wait as long as bangorballetboy did !

Thanks Janet, that sounds a bit worrying for necessary access to tickets. I think for digital tickets, the ticket bar code is sent via email (mine was) so I hope I won't need access to the My Account area of the Hippodrome Website. 

Printing out the old fashioned way now seems a good idea, and good for the scrapbook too. (goes to check if my printer ink has run out or not!) 😊

Edited by northstar

I am so worried something will go wrong with my phone re the internet etc that I always print off my tickets at home. I still like having something tangible in my hand too. still it’s not costing ROH anything. 

• Like 5

I always print off tickets too, but in my case it's because I worry in case an usher grabs my phone tp see the ticket, having had that happen a few years ago.

In terms of online queueing, the Proms used to take ages. I seem to remember it taking well over 2 hours on one or two occasions. I know I once had to abandon online queueing in order to get the train to London for a matinee & I ended up then going to the RAH between shows to book in person (this was before I had a smartphone).

• Like 1

The Hippodrome virtual queue is highly irritating. You get put in thr queue just to access your account, even if not booking tickets!

I have tried at different times of day and night, and always ended up in the queue. Really puts you off just having a quick check on what's available.

• Like 1