Ballet Association: News and Upcoming Events

Do the Ballet Association and the London Ballet Circle confer at all about their speakers? As we know, Mayara Magri is also talking to the LBC via Zoom on 31st May. There must be a lot of people who are members of both organisations; I suppose people can therefore choose whether to go to the in-person interview or the Zoom one, but I'm concerned (both for Mayara and for the two organisations) that both events will suffer by being held so close together.

• Like 1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - there is liaison between the two organisations. However, there must have been a miscommunication (or something) on this occasion in order for this issue to have arisen.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Ballet Association's next guest will be WILLIAM BRACEWELL  whose promotion to Principal of The Royal Ballet was announced recently Since William spoke to the BA in 2018, he has been cast in numerous leading roles and, of course, he is currently dancing Dr John Brown in Like Water for Chocolate. So there is a lot to catch up on!

This is an 'in person' event.

Date: Thursday 16th June 2022

Time: 7.30pm

Place: The American International Church , 79a Tottenham Court Road. [Turn left as you come out of Goodge Street Station and the Church is ahead of you on the left. Go past the building itself and walk down its right hand side to find the entrance.]

Admission at the venue costs: £5.00 for ordinary members; £4.00 for concessionary members and £9.00 for non members.

The online charges are: £5.50 for Members; £4.50 for Concessionary Members; £10.00 for Non Members (i.e. slightly higher to cover the processing costs). To book in advance, please go to: https://balletassociation.co.uk/collections/meetings-2022 If you pay via the website, please keep your receipt as proof of payment to show on arrival.

• Like 1

As mentioned by Alison, tonight's guest at The Ballet Association will be LUCA ACRI, First Soloist of The Royal Ballet

Date: Thursday 16th June 2022

Place: The American International Church , 79a Tottenham Court Road. [Turn left as you come out of Goodge Street Station and the Church is ahead of you on the left. Go past the building itself and walk down its right hand side to find the entrance.]

[ Unfortunately, William Bracewell has had to withdraw for personal reasons and we are very grateful to Luca for being willing to step in. ]

Edited by BALLET ASSOCIATION

Congratulations to the following Royal Ballet dancers or associates who were laureates at the 22nd National Dance Awards:

Best Female Dancer: Marianela Nunez

Best Male Dancer: Edward Watson

Outstanding Female Classical Performance: Natalia Osipova

Outstanding Creative Contribution: Thomas Ades

Best Classical Choreography: Valentino Zucchetti *

This award is sponsored by The Ballet Association

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, members of The Ballet Association enjoyed their Annual Dinner at the Chesterfield Hotel alongside some 30 guests from The Royal Ballet Companies, The Royal Ballet School and Elmhurst.

Although she was unable to attend through illness, Tierney Heap's career and retirement was celebrated with a round of applause. Nehemiah Kish's contribution as an RB Principal was acknowledged alongside that of Hikaru Kobayashi, the former RB First Soloist. Mention was also made of Jeanetta Lawrence's appointment as Chair of The Ashton Foundation. Then, those present applauded Federico Bonelli for his stellar career with the RB and on his appointment as Artistic Director of Northern Ballet.

The evening ended with words of thanks to the Association from the Director of The Royal Ballet, Kevin O'Hare and a note that, in September, members would be able to watch a Royal Ballet studio rehearsal at the ROH.

• Like 4

At last night's dinner, it was noted that Covid has hit the Ballet Association membership and attendances at meetings and new members would be very welcome indeed. 

As a member of several years standing now, I would highly recommend to any London based ballet fans.  The membership and meeting fees are very reasonable and are very good value in terms of access to RB dancers. 

Last night, I had Bennett Gartside, Leo Dixon and Dame Monica Mason on my table.  Steven McRae was just behind and Kevin O'Hare on the table on the other side.  Over the years, I've got to know many of the dancers by attending the dinners. It's all very friendly and informal.    

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

The Ballet Association's next guest will be WILLIAM BRACEWELL  whose promotion to Principal of The Royal Ballet was announced recently Since William spoke to the BA in 2018, he has been cast in numerous leading roles. So there is a lot to catch up on!

Date: Thursday 25th August

Admission at the venue costs: £5.00 for ordinary members; £4.00 for concessionary members and £9.00 for non members.

The online charges are: £5.50 for Members; £4.50 for Concessionary Members; £10.00 for Non Members (i.e. slightly higher to cover the processing costs). To book in advance, please go to: https://www.balletassociation.co.uk and click on the photo of William

NEXT UP: EDWARD WATSON MBE ON THE 8TH SEPTEMBER...............

• Like 1

Really very interesting evening, William B (apart from his many talents as a dancer and actor) has a winning combination of humility and great respect for other artists/

teachers/coaches/choreographers, and a very clear ambition and confidence to achieve and be the artist he wants to be. Sorry, very long sentence! He’s also so appreciative and grateful and so enjoying life. I’ve let the association slip out of my life for far too many years but will definitely endeavour to return often. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Drat - missed it…. Can members watch a recording on demand? 

So glad that people enjoyed William - he is certainly a star talker as well as a wonderful dancer.

Unfortunately, there is no recording; but a full written report on the evening will be posted on the BA website as soon as possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's hoped to confirm full details for Edward Watson on 8th September shortly. @Mandy Kent

I'm trying to remember when he last spoke to the Association: my brain is telling me 2011, but I have no idea whether or not that's correct!  Either way, there will be a lot to catch up on.

• Like 1

Such a pity the BA no longer zooms interviews. A hotel stay in London is now so expensive, even for basic accommodation, that a trip just for an interview is difficult to justify in these difficult times, so it's discriminatory against members who live a long way away to stop zooms.

• Like 3

Will Bracewell was so interesting and he talked almost non stop for over an hour with a few prompts from David. We went through last season, the R&J film, next season, his early career, BRB, coaches, working with different ballerinas and choreographers, acting. 

Throughout, he came across as modest and unassuming. We all know what a wonderful artist he is and his humility is a joy. My first BA in person meeting for probably 3 years. It was well worth it but I do empathise with those members who would also like a virtual option too.   

• Like 6

The Ballet Association's next guest will be EDWARD WATSON  who retired as a dancer last autumn after 27 years with The Royal Ballet but has been working as an RB Repetiteur since 2020. It's 11 years since Edward last spoke to the Association so there is a lot of catching up to do!

Date: Thursday 8th September 2022

Place: The Royal Ballet School, Floral Street, Covent Garden. PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE BEFORE 7.00PM.

Admission at the venue is: £5.00 for ordinary members; £4.00 for concessionary members and £9.00 for non members.

The online charges are: £5.50 for Members; £4.50 for Concessionary Members; £10.00 for Non Members (i.e. slightly higher to cover the processing costs). To book in advance, please go to: https://balletassociation.co.uk/collections/meetings-2022

If you pay via the website, please keep your receipt as proof of payment to show on arrival.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Ballet Association's next guests will be two of The Royal Ballet's newly promoted soloists, LETICIA DIAS and MARIKO SASAKI. Interestingly, both Leticia and Mariko graduated firstly into Birmingham Royal Ballet before 'transferring' to the RB. Of course, both featured prominently in Valentino Zucchetti's award-winning ballet Anemoi. So it will be especially interesting to hear about their seemingly parallel careers.

Date: Monday 26th September 2022

Place: Place: The American International Church , 79a Tottenham Court Road. [Turn left as you come out of Goodge Street Station and the Church is ahead of you on the left. Go past the building itself and walk down its right hand side to find the entrance.]

Admission at the venue is: £5.00 for ordinary members; £4.00 for concessionary members and £9.00 for non members.

The online charges are: £5.50 for Members; £4.50 for Concessionary Members; £10.00 for Non Members (i.e. slightly higher to cover the processing costs). To book in advance, please go to: https://balletassociation.co.uk/collections/meetings-2022

If you pay via the website, please keep your receipt as proof of payment to show on arrival  and please check in at the desk on entry.

I would have really liked to go to this but need at least a minimum of a weeks warning as have to do a bit of rearranging if going up to London on a Monday. 
Perhaps this event was only very recently confirmed as taking place but otherwise would appreciate if could advertise events a little sooner! 

14 minutes ago, Balletmediauk said:

This looks amazing. Do they broadcast this on webinar or record it and playback? I have young children and I miss out on all these amazing conversations! 

Hello Balletmediauk and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not based in London so can't get to in person events either.  I don't know about the Ballet Association but the London Ballet Circle still does some zoom talks - it's Federico Bonelli on Wednesday evening this week.  (London Ballet Circle also has its own thread.)

I'm sure BA will be able to clarify as to whether they still run zoom events.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Balletmediauk said:

This looks amazing. Do they broadcast this on webinar or record it and playback? I have young children and I miss out on all these amazing conversations! 

Hello Balletmediauk. This, and most other Ballet Association events are live 'in person'. However, reports are usually published on the BA website shortly afterwards: https://www.balletassociation.co.uk  

56 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I would have really liked to go to this but need at least a minimum of a weeks warning as have to do a bit of rearranging if going up to London on a Monday. 
Perhaps this event was only very recently confirmed as taking place but otherwise would appreciate if could advertise events a little sooner! 

LinMM - if you are a BA Member, you will have received notice of this event in the recent newsletter  which issued on the 1st September.

The notices on BCF seem to work best when they are posted less than a week before a 'talk' as, otherwise, people tend to say that they forgot! Maybe we should post twice................

Edited by BALLET ASSOCIATION
  • Like 2

Thankyou for your prompt reply. 
I understand where you are coming from with that but perhaps post twice or post once but just a bit earlier as people on the Forum and moderators etc can boost the event closer to it happening by rementioning it in comments. 
As I live in Brighton and usually have to be in London on Tuesdays I wouldn’t be able to come to all events anyway but could come to a few during in the year and I particularly like these two young dancers so might have been able to make it on this occasion!! 

Edited by LinMM

The Ballet Association's next guest, STEVEN MCRAE will be joining us only three days after his latest performance as Rudolf in Mayerling.  Steven last spoke to the Association in 2015 so there is much catching up to do, including his recovery from serious injury

Date: Monday 10th October 2022

The online charges are: £5.50 for Members; £4.50 for Concessionary Members; £10.00 for Non Members (i.e. slightly higher to cover the processing costs). To book in advance, please go to:   https://balletassociation.co.uk/collections/meetings-2022

If you pay via the website, please keep your receipt as proof of payment to show on arrival  and please check in at the desk on entry.

• Thanks 1