ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET: PROMOTIONS; JOINERS; LEAVERS

The following news has just been circulated by ENB.

PROMOTIONS:

• Shiori Kase was promoted to Lead Principal on stage in January 2022, following her performance in the title role in Tamara Rojo's Raymonda
  • Aitor Arrieta was promoted to Principal on stage in January 2022, following his performance as John de Bryan in Raymonda
  • Emma Hawes was promoted to Principal on stage in January 2022, following her performance in the title role in Raymonda

• Daniel McCormick has been promoted to First Soloist
  • Precious Adams, Julia Conway,  Fernando Carratalá Coloma and Erik Woolhouse have been promoted to Soloist
  • Emily Suzuki and Francesca Velicu have been promoted to Junior Soloist
  • Matthew Astley, Rebecca Blenkinsop, Ivana Bueno, Noam Durand, Miguel Angel Maidana, Rentaro Nakaaki, Victor Prigent, Angela Wood and Rhys Antoni Yeomans have been promoted to First Artist

JOINERS from the beginning of the 2022/23 Season:
Lorenzo Trossello (from Northern Ballet) as a Junior Soloist
Soloist Haruhi Otani and Ballet Mistress Anu Sistonen in early 2022.Lorenzo Trossello joins as Junior Soloist from Northern Ballet. 

Paige Bestington, Hamish Longley, Jose Menchon, Archie Sullivan, Daisy Wales, Oscar Ward and Lulu Welford, all of whom danced with English National Ballet during the 2021/2022 Season, as Artists of the Company in the new season. Also Thiago Pereira as an Artist.

In addition, Haruhi Otani joined as a Soloist mid-season, as did Ana Sistonen as Ballet Mistress.

LEAVERS:

Joseph Caley, who joined English National Ballet in August 2017 and was promoted to Lead Principal that December, leaves to join The Australian Ballet.

Jeffrey Cirio, who joined English National Ballet in 2018 having performed as a Guest Artist with the Company in 2017, returns to Boston Ballet. 

Having previously appeared with the Company as a Guest Artist in Swan Lake, Isaac Hernández joined English National Ballet as Lead Principal in 2015 and now leaves to join San Francisco Ballet. 

Junior Soloist Anjuli Hudson retired from the stage mid-season, having danced with English National Ballet for nearly 15 years. 

ENB Artist Pedro Lapetra retires at the end of the 2021/22 season, having danced with English National Ballet for 19 years. 

Many congratulations to the promotees and a big 'thank you' to the leavers for the years of pleasure they have provided.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And the official press release:

ENB_Large_Symbol_Logotype_Locked_Colour.jpg

For immediate release: Tuesday 31 May 2022

English National Ballet today announces promotions and new joiners for the 2022/2023 Season

Tamara Rojo CBE, Artistic Director of English National Ballet, has today announced promotions within the Company and new joiners for the 2022/2023 Season. 

Promotions

The following promotions have been made within the Company:

As announced earlier this year, Shiori Kase has been promoted to Lead Principal and Aitor Arrieta and Emma Hawes have been promoted to Principal.

Daniel McCormick has been promoted to First Soloist. 

Precious Adams, Julia Conway, Fernando Carratalá Coloma and Erik Woolhouse have been promoted to Soloist. 

Emily Suzuki and Francesca Velicu have been promoted to Junior Soloist.

Matthew Astley, Rebecca Blenkinsop, Ivana Bueno, Noam Durand, Miguel Angel Maidana, Rentaro Nakaaki, Victor Prigent, Angela Wood and Rhys Antoni Yeomans have been promoted to First Artist. 

Eireen Evrard has been promoted to 8th Year Artist. 

Eric Snyder has been promoted to 5th Year Artist. 

Joiners

Haruhi Otani joined as Soloist mid-Season.

Lorenzo Trossello joins as Junior Soloist from Northern Ballet. 

Thiago Pereira joins as Artist of the Company, alongside Paige Bestington, Hamish Longley, Jose Menchon, Archie Sullivan, Daisy Wales, Oscar Ward and Lulu Welford, who join having danced with English National Ballet during the 2021/2022 Season.  

Anu Sistonen joined English National Ballet's Artistic Team as Ballet Mistress mid-Season.

Leavers

As previously announced, Lead Principals Joseph Caley, Jeffrey Cirio and Isaac Hernández leave English National Ballet at the end of the 2021/2022 Season. 

Caley joined English National Ballet in August 2017 and was promoted to Lead Principal that December. He has danced roles including the Man in Kenneth MacMillan’s Song of the Earth, Prince Désiré in MacMillan’s The Sleeping Beauty and Conrad inLe Corsaire. Caley will join The Australian Ballet. 

Having previously appeared with the Company as a Guest Artist in Swan Lake, Hernández joined English National Ballet as Lead Principal in 2015. He has performed roles including Des Grieux in Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon, Prince Guillaume in Christopher Wheeldon’s Cinderella, and John de Bryan in Tamara Rojo’s Raymonda. Hernández leaves to join San Francisco Ballet.

Cirio joined English National Ballet in 2018 having performed as a Guest Artist with the Company in 2017. He has performed roles including Hilarion in Akram Khan’s Giselle, Ali and Conrad in Le Corsaire and recentlyhad the lead role in new ballet, Creature, created on him by Akram Khan. Cirio leaves to return to Boston Ballet. 

Junior Soloist, Anjuli Hudson, retired from the stage mid-season having danced with English National Ballet for nearly 15 years. 

ENB Artist Pedro Lapetra retires at the end of the 2021/22 season, having danced with English National Ballet for 19 years.

English National Ballet’s 2022/2023 Season begins in September with performances of Swan Lake in Liverpool and Manchester. Tickets are on sale now. For more information, please see www.ballet.org.uk

English National Ballet is grateful for the generous grant it has been awarded through the Government's Culture Recovery Fund, which allows it to continue to create, perform and serve its audiences.

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet's growth and evolution ever since.

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet's Dance for Parkinson's.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company's repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. www.ballet.org.uk 

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let's Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. 
www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government's Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. Find out more at www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19           

• Like 1

I’m also hoping the new Director will notice the talents of Rebecca Blenkinsop more. She has now made a small move but I saw her some years back now in RBS end of year performance and she was amazing in a pas de deux she performed with Harris Bell I think. 
I did notice her in Raymonda but was actually wondering before that whether she was actually injured but gladly not the case it seems. 
I think she is really talented …an artist dancer….and always worry that if not given opportunities such artists will lose heart eventually and give up. 
Just my view. 
Also wish the new Director would be appointed soon!! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m also hoping the new Director will notice the talents of Rebecca Blenkinsop more. She has now made a small move but I saw her some years back now in RBS end of year performance and she was amazing in a pas de deux she performed with Harris Bell I think. 
I did notice her in Raymonda but was actually wondering before that whether she was actually injured but gladly not the case it seems. 
I think she is really talented …an artist dancer….and always worry that if not given opportunities such artists will lose heart eventually and give up. 

Rebecca Blenkinsop joined ENB in 2018.  She's done relatively well to be promoted to First Artist after only 4 years (two of which were affected by the lockdowns).  Promotions at ENB are sometimes hard to come by.  Angela Wood joined in 2010 and has only just been promoted to First Artist.

• Like 2

Yes I keep forgetting about the lost Covid year(s)  ( already!) So it’s true it’s probably not that long ago really. 
Anyway good to see she is on the move! 
It is also a shame about Alison McWhinney she does deserve to be a Principal now. 

• Like 1

Very happy for everyone promoted but especially for Erik Woolhouse, Francesca Velicu and Emily Suzuki.  I also agree with comments above regarding Alison McWhinney’s continuing lack of promotion to Principal. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

Very happy for everyone promoted but especially for Erik Woolhouse, Francesca Velicu and Emily Suzuki. 

I agree. Three unique talents. Fingers crossed that the new Director will be able to keep them at ENB.

I am more puzzled by the lack of promotion for Katja Khaniukova as, unlike Alison McWhinney, she has danced various tutu lead ballerina roles.

• Like 6

I was rather expecting there to be some new male Lead Principals announced to replace the 3 leavers. Is it likely that there will be replacements but that they'll be announced separately or is ENB really likely to go into the next season with only 1 male Lead Principal & 1 male Principal?

• Like 2

I agree with all above who say that Khaniukova's promotion is as overdue as McWhinney's - don't know how I overlooked her. I usually book long before casting is available and am happier to "draw" them than some principals.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I agree with all above who say that Khaniukova's promotion is as overdue as McWhinney's - don't know how I overlooked her. I usually book long before casting is available and am happier to "draw" them than some principals.

Agree with you and Capybara about Katja. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Perhaps they are leaving some scope for the new Director (whoever that may be).

I can see that's a good idea for long-term compatability but it could be a bit of an issue in the short-term. Though I see Siegfried is in Saruhashi's & Souza's reps so at least that gives them 4 male leads for the start of the next season. Perhaps an opportunity for a role debut for McCormick too?

• Like 1

Congratulations to all the dancers who have been promoted! Especially delighted for Angela Wood, who has been such a long serving Artist. And a belated welcome to Haruhi Otani and the dancers who joined for the 2021-22 season. 

I see that Coloma and Suzuki have “leapfrogged” to Soloist and Junior Soloist level respectively, skipping the rank of First Artist- thoroughly deserved, given the quality, maturity and consistency of their performances last year and this year so far. I thought McCormick might also be leapfrogged to Principal, considering the number of times he has actually outdanced principals in the same show...or the same stage! He does have the charisma and virtuosity of a principal now. Likewise,  McWhinney and Khaniukova have the authority and assurance of principals and I thought both would be promoted.

Well, there’s still their last summer performances to go, I suppose - the Brooklyn Academy of Music residency from 8-11 June. I notice that the website staff have been quick to remove Joseph Caley’s profile already, even though the promoted dancers haven’t been moved up! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I notice that the website staff have been quick to remove Joseph Caley’s profile already, even though the promoted dancers haven’t been moved up! 

I think that’s because Caley left after his performance in Khan’s Giselle in Barcelona.

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Alison McWhinney to be promoted. She is such a beautiful dancer.

Delighted to see Rhys Antoni Yeomans promoted but can’t believe it’s only to First Artist-  at least, I suppose, he is getting plenty of opportunity in soloist roles.

• Like 1