Shellym

Hi,

im taking my daughter to her first pointe shoe fitting tomorrow.  I know it’s going to be super expensive but I just wanted to know any hints or tips. She’s been on Demi for a few months and her teacher said it’s time to get the full pointes.  I just don’t want to get ripped off with unnecessary stuff but want to protect her feet from any damage.  Can you let me know must have accessories ( I know about pouches) we’ve been going to this shop for the last 9 years and they have a fabulous range.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shellym said:

Hi,

im taking my daughter to her first pointe shoe fitting tomorrow.  I know it’s going to be super expensive but I just wanted to know any hints or tips. She’s been on Demi for a few months and her teacher said it’s time to get the full pointes.  I just don’t want to get ripped off with unnecessary stuff but want to protect her feet from any damage.  Can you let me know must have accessories ( I know about pouches) we’ve been going to this shop for the last 9 years and they have a fabulous range.

How exciting for you both. It’s a big milestone to reach. 
Simple things to remember before you head off. Ensure toe nails are not too long. The shop would normally provide tights or socks but in this current climate I’m not so sure so take a pair of your own. 
Your DD must speak out. Whilst the fitters are qualified and experienced there’s still no guarantee so it’s important your DD speaks out during the trial in movement etc. They will feel weird but it’s a fine line between a snug fit and a pinch that can make all the difference. Only a dancer can really tell the difference. It’s so easy to be caught up in the excitement of the experience and not want to speak up if the box is catching the little toe for example.

You will obviously need ribbons and elastic and of course the pouches. Along with needle and thread/wool for darning. 

Be prepared that her first shoes may only last a matter of weeks. Not because they are worn out but that her feet can change shape as more pointe work is done. So what was a good fit at the time might not be so in a few weeks. Be also prepared to try out different makers during this period. Feet change shape and the strength of foot develops. 

Initial outlay may appear higher, just like the dreaded September new school uniform moment but as the pouch and darning threads etc aren’t just per shoe your next shopping trip won’t cost as much. You can also reuse the ribbon if you are careful.

However, we kept DD’s first ever pair of pointe shoes as a momento. So didn’t reuse the ribbon on that occasion. 

Care of shoes is also important and can be overlooked ie buried in the bottom of a dance bag between lessons as life can be hectic. Try to teach your DD to leave them out to air dry at home after each lesson. Will also reduce the risk of the tell tale odour that pointe shoes seem to develop over time. 
Good Luck. 🩰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, balletbean said:

How exciting for you both. It’s a big milestone to reach. 
Simple things to remember before you head off. Ensure toe nails are not too long. The shop would normally provide tights or socks but in this current climate I’m not so sure so take a pair of your own. 
Your DD must speak out. Whilst the fitters are qualified and experienced there’s still no guarantee so it’s important your DD speaks out during the trial in movement etc. They will feel weird but it’s a fine line between a snug fit and a pinch that can make all the difference. Only a dancer can really tell the difference. It’s so easy to be caught up in the excitement of the experience and not want to speak up if the box is catching the little toe for example.

You will obviously need ribbons and elastic and of course the pouches. Along with needle and thread/wool for darning. 

Be prepared that her first shoes may only last a matter of weeks. Not because they are worn out but that her feet can change shape as more pointe work is done. So what was a good fit at the time might not be so in a few weeks. Be also prepared to try out different makers during this period. Feet change shape and the strength of foot develops. 

Initial outlay may appear higher, just like the dreaded September new school uniform moment but as the pouch and darning threads etc aren’t just per shoe your next shopping trip won’t cost as much. You can also reuse the ribbon if you are careful.

However, we kept DD’s first ever pair of pointe shoes as a momento. So didn’t reuse the ribbon on that occasion. 

Care of shoes is also important and can be overlooked ie buried in the bottom of a dance bag between lessons as life can be hectic. Try to teach your DD to leave them out to air dry at home after each lesson. Will also reduce the risk of the tell tale odour that pointe shoes seem to develop over time. 
Good Luck. 🩰

Thank you so much - that’s some really good advice!  It made me smile about keeping first pointe shoes, I’ve taken up decorating the first pointe shoes of pupils leaving for the dance school.  

• Like 1

You don't need to buy ribbon from the shop as there is plenty available online for cheaper. Also thread, you can get gutermann thread for a fraction of the price and the right colour too. It's tempting to get everything in one place but do check online. Porselli are very competitive price wise and their service is tip top. Toe pads are a must but again, don't be afraid to buy online

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HopelessMummy said:

You don't need to buy ribbon from the shop as there is plenty available online for cheaper. Also thread, you can get gutermann thread for a fraction of the price and the right colour too. It's tempting to get everything in one place but do check online. Porselli are very competitive price wise and their service is tip top. Toe pads are a must but again, don't be afraid to buy online

I’ve got some ribbon and the thread already, I also found some bun heads ouch pouch not used for £5.  Might not be suitable but thought just in case x

As the fitting is tomorrow, ideally you'd want to fit the shoe with the padding that she is going to wear. I'd say on this occasion, buying the pads in store might be more expensive, but as they last forever (my Ouch Pouches are 2 years and still almost as new after a wash) the extra cost will even out, and better than going away with the wrong shoe. 

If she has particularly tapered feet, lambswool is brilliant to fill up negative space, so definitely not an upsell if she needs it. 

Also highly recommend a mesh pointe shoe bag and charcoal drying inserts which you can get online for under £5 and under £10 respectively. The latter help avoid smells and also gives shoes a bit of structure to help them getting squashed at the bottom of a bag!

All these additional things last ages after the initial outlay. When I need a new shoe, I normally just get the shoe and extra elastic (I find it doesn't recycle as easily) and if I'm feeling lazy, extra stretch ribbons. Everything else is still the same as the first purchase. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Meetmeatthebarre said:

As the fitting is tomorrow, ideally you'd want to fit the shoe with the padding that she is going to wear. I'd say on this occasion, buying the pads in store might be more expensive, but as they last forever (my Ouch Pouches are 2 years and still almost as new after a wash) the extra cost will even out, and better than going away with the wrong shoe. 

If she has particularly tapered feet, lambswool is brilliant to fill up negative space, so definitely not an upsell if she needs it. 

Also highly recommend a mesh pointe shoe bag and charcoal drying inserts which you can get online for under £5 and under £10 respectively. The latter help avoid smells and also gives shoes a bit of structure to help them getting squashed at the bottom of a bag!

All these additional things last ages after the initial outlay. When I need a new shoe, I normally just get the shoe and extra elastic (I find it doesn't recycle as easily) and if I'm feeling lazy, extra stretch ribbons. Everything else is still the same as the first purchase. 

Thank you, I’m sure I’ll learn loads tomorrow.  Credit card will get a hammering, just paid the dance school bill for 6 weeks, first instalment of English youth ballet, and the big bill tomorrow 😂 🤑

Thank all, job done, fitter was really

nice and informative, checked and double checked, she tried on lots of pairs, ended up with Bloch ones ( the second pair she tried) and silicone pouches, she said they felt just right, comfy and no pain, one very happy girl! 6A28BB37-9B90-4CF6-835A-5802B8769025.thumb.jpeg.efaedd183db6c0e0511f02448983b349.jpegFC4A806F-9F55-4DBB-BBA1-F376533CEE50.thumb.jpeg.7a7bb07592ee49b67460d3193cf26825.jpeg

• Like 5