Sorrell72

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Skibidi said:

About a million by my calculations! 

Looking at the blurb they've sent, if they have 10 kids in each group (conservative estimate) there'll be at least 120 kids. How many of them will be girls, no idea! 

That's what we thought too 😂

• 3 weeks later...

A little off topic & I don’t wish to be a nay sayer but.... I do worry that we are offering far too many high level training opportunities & prolonging the agony before an inevitable dash of dreams as the reality of just how limited the opportunities for a career as a classical dancer are. Yes, I guess there are masses of transferable skills learned along the way that make dancers resilient & good employees in very many fields & of course diligent workers who complete many of these courses will leave with degrees or diplomas giving evidrncevif studyinv at higher education level but gain contracts as dancers? Very very few sadly....

But, I can also say to any aspiring dancer that ‘that one of few could be you’ so good luck to them one & all!

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

A little off topic & I don’t wish to be a nay sayer but.... I do worry that we are offering far too many high level training opportunities & prolonging the agony before an inevitable dash of dreams as the reality of just how limited the opportunities for a career as a classical dancer are. Yes, I guess there are masses of transferable skills learned along the way that make dancers resilient & good employees in very many fields & of course diligent workers who complete many of these courses will leave with degrees or diplomas giving evidrncevif studyinv at higher education level but gain contracts as dancers? Very very few sadly....

But, I can also say to any aspiring dancer that ‘that one of few could be you’ so good luck to them one & all!

This is very true Peanut. I guess that those 3 years at upper school might be worth it as an experience even if they don’t lead to a ballet career. At least they emerge from it very young with the potential for further studies - 19 is the age a lot of first year uni students are! Just a bit bankrupting for us parents. It has to feel even worse if your child has attended vocational school before and the whole family has sacrificed a lot to be there. 

• Like 2

Don’t forget that getting a paid contract as a ballet dancer is not the only option/measure of success for those students graduating from upper school level courses, especially at schools like Central where the training in other dance styles is of a high standard.  Contemporary companies, musical theatre, cruise ship work, teaching and choreography are all good options for a versatile dancer.  

Ever since I joined the original Balletco Forum, there have been more places than there are jobs - yes, there are new schools now and even fewer permanent jobs as paid ballet dancers, but to be honest, we’ve known for many years now that the only graduates who are guaranteed a paid job in a ballet company are those who graduate from Royal Ballet Upper School.  I can’t see that changing any time soon.

• Like 4

I wonder if some of the success is the teacher too? If you look at Melissa Hamilton’s route who was trained privately and given very bespoke approach which took into consideration her physique - beautiful very arched feet  (I read this in an interview with her) and subsequently she was taken on by the Royal Ballet company, having struggled at Elmhurst. Perhaps being in a high profile school can lead you to be ignored? Just musings ….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

This is very true Peanut. I guess that those 3 years at upper school might be worth it as an experience even if they don’t lead to a ballet career. At least they emerge from it very young with the potential for further studies - 19 is the age a lot of first year uni students are! Just a bit bankrupting for us parents. It has to feel even worse if your child has attended vocational school before and the whole family has sacrificed a lot to be there. 

Yup….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, junedancer said:

Getting back to the results from Central.  They are still taking applications so I would expect a large number of wait list places while they continue to review applications.

Sorry, I took thread on a musing tangent….back to Central & 🤞🏻 for those awaiting news 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Sorry, I took thread on a musing tangent….back to Central & 🤞🏻 for those awaiting news 

Our DD was at the audition on Sunday: I understand that we've had an e-mail to say we'll hear by Tuesday next week (22/3/22). With other auditions in between (a busy month!) that will fly by...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SpideyDad said:

Our DD was at the audition on Sunday: I understand that we've had an e-mail to say we'll hear by Tuesday next week (22/3/22). With other auditions in between (a busy month!) that will fly by...

Hello SpideyDad and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

On 16/03/2022 at 09:31, Kerfuffle said:

It all depends on how those years were funded though. If they had a student loan, then that's that - they can't get another one.

10 minutes ago, tired dance mummy said:

Just because I know our nerves are a bit jangly waiting for results, and it’s helpful to know if others have heard (or maybe not!)

DD has heard from Central this morning.

Good Luck everyone xx

Was is by phone? I’ve just had a missed call and no answer when trying to call them back!! Hope it was good news for your DD xx 

5 hours ago, ballet_mum_on_the_run said:

It’s a yes for my DD too who received a very unexpected phone call this morning! She is over the moon as she really liked the atmosphere at Central! 

Congratulations to all of the other yes’s 

Congratulations to those who've been successful!

Nothing yet here. Let's see what the next few days brings...