What to Wear to Adult Beginners Class

Angela Essex

Hello everyone, I’m just wondering what everyone would recommend wearing to adult beginners ballet class? I’ve only started ballet in September and have been going in my gym kit thus far (black leggings, sports bra and sleeveless tank top). This is what everyone at my local class here is Essex is wearing, but I joined an online beginners class at Pineapple and noticed some people are wearing proper ballet clothes. Going forward I don’t want to turn up looking like I’m not taking it seriously enough to kit myself out properly, but at the same time don’t want to be ‘all the gear and no idea’ 😂 Is there a reason why ballet clothes (tights, skirt and leotard) are better than just gym clothes? Is it easier for the teacher to see what we are doing in proper ballet clothes? Or am I good just to stay in my gym kit? Also where is everyone getting their dancewear from? And do ladies wear a bra under the leotards? (tbh I’ve not got much there in chest dept anyway 😭) sorry for so many questions, but if anyone could give me a heads up on all this I’d be extremely grateful 😊 

WEAR WHAT MAKES YOU  FEEL COMFORTABLE !  a lot of people  start out in gym kit ,  the  addiction to buying  dancewear comes later  ( as can be seen by many  adult dancers  instagram pages  regardless of  their size or level they dance at - remember that some of the  adult dancers you  see  who are mixing it in Adv and Pro classes re  peopel who started taking class as adults in their 30s or 40s  - although often with good underlying fitness levles )

want a ballet body ?   have a body , preferably your own , do ballet with it... !

light coloured  legs  help the teacher  see how you use  your muscles  and engage your turn out ...  

there are some teachers who will tell you leggings better than  skirt , but  just leotard and tights is best of all  - but that is purely from the point of view of looking at how you engage  your  muscles etc. which an open  beginners class   might not  be a top priority (  depends on the teacher  - those who have taken class with Hannah Frost or  David Kierce will know  how  keen eyed  they can be 

whether you  wear a bra under yout leotard  is combination of the cut and  construction of the leotard and  the  volume of bosom you  possess !

Edited by NJH
  • Like 1

When I did an adult class, I wore leggings and a vest/tank top. When I joined a class with teens, my teacher said I could still wear that but as the younger girls were expected to wear leotard and tights, it didn't seem right for me to have a different rule. Being 47 and not as skinny as them, I am not brave enough for just a leotard and tights so I also wear a short, chiffon wrap skirt over my leotard. I am also fairly busty so I wear a sports bra under my tank type leotard and finally found a combination that worked without it showing! Comfort is the most important thing as if you are not comfortable, you will be self conscious and it will affect how you move and how you enjoy the class.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Going forward I don’t want to turn up looking like I’m not taking it seriously enough to kit myself out properly

What you describe is fine! I wear a leotard & tights because that's what I've always worn. I do tend to layer warm-ups because I like to dance very warm (feels like it oils the joints), and I shed layers as I go. If I'm not in bare leo & tights by the centre, I know I'm not working hard enough. I also prefer tights & leotard because my gym kit is made of much thicker poly/lycra, whereas my ballet tights are thinner & move more easily - the heavy workouts I do at the gym don't need the same precision of tiny muscles that ballet does.

I don't wear a skirt because I'm not that much of a bunhead, and it's a fashion thing, as well as a cover-up of hips & upper thighs (also I have a pro dancer sister who would be extremely rude & mocking if ever I wore a skirt 😉 - she's from a generation of dancers who wore nothing but tights & high cut leotards). I think the skirt thing is part of the stereotype of a "ballerina" but I know women like to wear them to cover what they think of as their large bottoms.

7 hours ago, NJH said:

WEAR WHAT MAKES YOU  FEEL COMFORTABLE !  a lot of people  start out in gym kit ,  the  addiction to buying  dancewear comes later  ( as can be seen by many  adult dancers  instagram pages  regardless of  their size or level they dance at - remember that some of the  adult dancers you  see  who are mixing it in Adv and Pro classes re  peopel who started taking class as adults in their 30s or 40s  - although often with good underlying fitness levles )

want a ballet body ?   have a body , preferably your own , do ballet with it... !

light coloured  legs  help the teacher  see how you use  your muscles  and engage your turn out ...  

there are some teachers who will tell you leggings better than  skirt , but  just leotard and tights is best of all  - but that is purely from the point of view of looking at how you engage  your  muscles etc. which an open  beginners class   might not  be a top priority (  depends on the teacher  - those who have taken class with Hannah Frost or  David Kierce will know  how  keen eyed  they can be 

whether you  wear a bra under yout leotard  is combination of the cut and  construction of the leotard and  the  volume of bosom you  possess !

Hello NJH thank you for replying. Yes I’ve been going to Hannah Frost’s zoom classes for last few weeks and she definitely keeps an eye on everyone. While I want to make it as easy for her as possible to see what I’m doing the sight of a 45 year old woman in tights and a leotard is possibly more than other members of the class could bear 😂 that is I’d wear it if it was necessary but it’d take some time for me to not feel self conscious. Im in reasonable shape but still….. Not in my 20s anymore 😭 As for bosom next to non existent sadly 😭 A/B if that and half of one got removed last year for cancer. 

• Like 1

Oh very sorry to hear about your Cancer Angela it’s great you are doing ballet again already as seems fairly recent for you so an achievement in itself 🙂

Your above comment does make me laugh though .....size 10!!! Well at least you will be able to buy off the shelf leotards! I can’t believe you have too much to cover up with a skirt lol! 
Im a size 16 ..am tallish but definitely not lanky with it these days so always have trouble buying leotards that fit. 
So to be honest gave up on those a long time ago now ... I returned to ballet 12 years ago now ....in coming January after a 21 year gap ...but at age of 62!! ( Apologies to those who already know this 🙄

In my earlier life in ballet I did the traditional thing and so the leotards and tights thing...even pink tights 😳....no skirts back then though. 
But now I tend to do the leggings or yoga type bottoms ( Sweaty Betty has a lot to answer for in nearly keeping my savings at zero but unfortunately theres a shop right outside the bus stop I use when in London 😱). and tops which sort of cover up the nether regions! Also much easier to go to the loo! Uniqlo have some lovely soft tights that feel really good on and you don’t have to nearly break an ankle struggling to put them on as a la Bloch 😩 
About five years ago I got into the ballet skirt thingy for a while so do have some lovely skirts especially made for me including some gorgeous double layered ones but now tend to only wear these  if on a workshop etc not for general every day class wear because in the end I feel most comfortable in the yoga type gear. 
I’ve now got too old to worry about the teacher seeing which muscles I’m using as I can only use whatever are available on the day these days lol! 
However it is more important for younger students especially those still vocationally training etc for the teacher to see more what’s going on and then they prefer to be able to see the whole leg etc. so leotards and tights are best then. 
As you’ve just returned to ballet I’d wear what makes you feel most okay at the moment as long as teacher is happy etc. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Oh very sorry to hear about your Cancer Angela it’s great you are doing ballet again already as seems fairly recent for you so an achievement in itself 🙂

Your above comment does make me laugh though .....size 10!!! Well at least you will be able to buy off the shelf leotards! I can’t believe you have too much to cover up with a skirt lol! 
Im a size 16 ..am tallish but definitely not lanky with it these days so always have trouble buying leotards that fit. 
So to be honest gave up on those a long time ago now ... I returned to ballet 12 years ago now ....in coming January after a 21 year gap ...but at age of 62!! ( Apologies to those who already know this 🙄

In my earlier life in ballet I did the traditional thing and so the leotards and tights thing...even pink tights 😳....no skirts back then though. 
But now I tend to do the leggings or yoga type bottoms ( Sweaty Betty has a lot to answer for in nearly keeping my savings at zero but unfortunately theres a shop right outside the bus stop I use when in London 😱). and tops which sort of cover up the nether regions! Also much easier to go to the loo! Uniqlo have some lovely soft tights that feel really good on and you don’t have to nearly break an ankle struggling to put them on as a la Bloch 😩 
About five years ago I got into the ballet skirt thingy for a while so do have some lovely skirts especially made for me including some gorgeous double layered ones but now tend to only wear these  if on a workshop etc not for general every day class wear because in the end I feel most comfortable in the yoga type gear. 
I’ve now got too old to worry about the teacher seeing which muscles I’m using as I can only use whatever are available on the day these days lol! 
However it is more important for younger students especially those still vocationally training etc for the teacher to see more what’s going on and then they prefer to be able to see the whole leg etc. so leotards and tights are best then. 
As you’ve just returned to ballet I’d wear what makes you feel most okay at the moment as long as teacher is happy etc. 

Aww Thanks Linn - cancer is all gone now thank heavens. It’s fabulous you’ve returned to ballet that must feel amazing. I’d not danced a step in my life before earlier this year so it’s all new to me. Can you recommend any places to get adult dancewear please?  
I’m getting a little discomfort in the Achilles when I point my toes and lower back and knee have been sore too so on one hand I was thinking I might not be doing things properly so if the teacher could better see what muscles I’m using by me wearing ballet clothes it might help me out. On the other hand I’m thinking bloody hell Angela you cannot be seriously contemplating leotard and tights at the age of 45 nobody wants to see that 😂😂😂🤢

Angela, our own Sheila Beelam runs Just Ballet and a fabulous service. I can’t recommend her enough. There’s some lovely adult ballet wear out there. Try looking at Dancing in the Street’s website. 

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angela Essex said:

On the other hand I’m thinking bloody hell Angela you cannot be seriously contemplating leotard and tights at the age of 45 nobody wants to see that

Nobody is looking. We're all *far* too busy (and if anyone is looking, they're not working hard enough!).

23 minutes ago, Fiz said:

Angela, our own Sheila Beelam runs Just Ballet and a fabulous service. I can’t recommend her enough. There’s some lovely adult ballet wear out there. Try looking at Dancing in the Street’s website. 

Fab thank you I’ll check those out 🙏

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Colman said:

Nobody is looking. We're all *far* too busy (and if anyone is looking, they're not working hard enough!).

Definitely.  Wear what you like and anyone who doesn't like it can sod off.  I am in my 40s, plumper than I should be and I rock my pink ballet tights and sparkly leotard.    

When I started ballet I wore leggings and a t-shirt and felt self conscious.  I got more into it and towards the end of my first year of dancing I got a leotard and a wrap skirt and tights.  I had a bit of a job finding one because they don't make a lot for size 16-18 D cup women but there are a few out there if you persevere.  I like a skirt because I'm self conscious about my bum but that's a personal thing.  I do it because I feel I'm more in "ballet mode" if I change into ballet clothes even when the class is online.  In winter I wear leg warmers and a ballet wrap cardigan to start class and de-layer if needed.    

Basically wear what feels good to you.  If you prefer leggings and a t-shirt that's fine and if you want to do the leotard and tights that's also fine.  The joy of doing ballet as an adult is you can do you to whatever extent you feel comfortable.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In London I’ve always found Capezio much better than the others for the larger dancer so nearly always go there except for shoes. They have some nice different length skirts. 

Capezio is in Endell St not far from the Opera House. 
There is Dansez in Drury Lane which are also not bad and as a size 10 you should be fine there. 
Where shoes are concerned I always wear Bloch these days ....nice wide fittings ...in Monmouth St ...none of these shops is that far from each other. Easy to do in one afternoon etc. 

A lot of people order online but I need to try on first because so much dance stuff is actually on the small side. 
Would just add there’s nothing wrong with Bloch tights and they do a nice large size too so pull right up which is good ....in fact are very supportive ..it’s just that are so supportive can drive you mad trying to put them on! 
As I’m nearly always in a hurry I can put the Uniqlo ones on about four times faster!! 
Unfortunately don’t know shops in your area though would have though Harlow or Chelmsford would have a good ballet shop. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

Capezio is definitely good and I've a couple of their leotards.  I usually use their shoes but am wearing Bloch at the moment because the shop I went to had a really comfortable pair.  I tend to go to a ballet shop in Richmond when I need things because the staff are really nice or one up near my parents in Yorkshire because I like supporting independent retail.  

The only place I don't go is Freed because I went there twice for Latin shoes and got really bad service (of the completely ignoring me variety).  

• Like 4

In answer to your question about the bras, I mostly do because I need a d-cup and I prefer my chest to stay in one place.  I have one which allegedly has a fitted bra type thing at the front but other than that I wear a full bra.  Looking at people getting changed in class it seems to depend on size.  Those of us with more assets wear more corsetry than those with smaller assets but that's an approximate rather than a scientific assessment.  

• Like 3

Yes I always wear a bra for class so this limits type of leotard I would wear as don't like the bra showing ....more an age thing I think as it’s quite trendy now not to worry so much about this. 
If performing so costume not meant to show bra we used to wear those flesh coloured rather thin leotards with transparent straps etc. I think you can also just buy the flesh coloured bra and “no see” straps in Capezio ....if you wanted to wear a more decorative leotard with a more exposed back but still wanted to wear a bra. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

In London I’ve always found Capezio much better than the others for the larger dancer so nearly always go there except for shoes. They have some nice different length skirts. 

Capezio is in Endell St not far from the Opera House. 
There is Dansez in Drury Lane which are also not bad and as a size 10 you should be fine there. 
Where shoes are concerned I always wear Bloch these days ....nice wide fittings ...in Monmouth St ...none of these shops is that far from each other. Easy to do in one afternoon etc. 

A lot of people order online but I need to try on first because so much dance stuff is actually on the small side. 
Would just add there’s nothing wrong with Bloch tights and they do a nice large size too so pull right up which is good ....in fact are very supportive ..it’s just that are so supportive can drive you mad trying to put them on! 
As I’m nearly always in a hurry I can put the Uniqlo ones on about four times faster!! 
Unfortunately don’t know shops in your area though would have though Harlow or Chelmsford would have a good ballet shop. 

Thank you Lin. There is World of Dance in Chelmsford where I got my shoes (So Danca) so I could try there. I’m in Covent Garden on 13th Jan seeing R&J (yay!) so I’ll try the shops you very kindly suggested then. I’ll have a try on and see - if I look utterly ridiculous in a leotard I’ll be sticking to my gym kit 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colman said:

absolutely  

and oddly  enough  plenty of 40+ year old adult dancers  do wear leotard , tights and  wrap or even SAB type skirts ... 

a brief look around the adult ballet world on  instagram will show you  that  

leotards ? at  risk of being accused of spamming   ( and i have NO  financial link with them )  https://imperfectpointes.com/  are fab  and  will do  bespoke  - as due to my  height / leotard girth measurement  i need a long body and i'm  an XL or  slightly larger in their sizing anyway  ( as it;s typical dancer sizes)

if you do go for  'proper' ballet tights  the capezio 1816/ 1916  come recommended by a number of larger / taller dancers including my self and @sophie_rebecca  and it appears that Snag are now doing ' convertible ' ballet tights  

Edited by NJH
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

I’m getting a little discomfort in the Achilles when I point my toes and lower back and knee have been sore too

The back & knees might be DOMS - a fancy term for the "delayed onset muscle soreness" you can have about 2 days after unaccustomed or new exercise. It's why cross-training is so important for general fitness. Our bodies become accustomed to movements we do regularly.

But the Achilles stiffness needs some care: try doing what are called "eccentric" movements to really stretch the Achilles under load - hang off the end of a step or stair tread - stand in a careful well-aligned parallel position (no turn out!) have just your toes spread nice and flat (not gripping) on the stair, hold onto the bannister or wall, and as you breathe out, on a count of four, drop your heels below the stair tread as far as they can go. Then on another count of 4 rise up, and up to your demi pointe. Do this about 9 or 10 times. The last few will be tough! 

Also at the barre, before you go into the centre, do heel raises in strict parallel, moving slowly from flat to demi pointe. Do maybe 8 on both legs, then try 4 on one leg, swap legs. You're aiming to build up to 16 on each leg. It's a very simple, slow exercise, and very tough! It's important to have your alignment really strong for this. But it will help with Achilles soreness.

Caveat: I'm not a medical doctor (just a PhD!) but I had a bout of Achilles tendonitis, and saw a physiotherapist a couple of times. The exercise of hanging off a step/stair was prescribed and supervised by the physio (see vids on "hell drops"). The simple heel raises are done by the Australian Ballet and the Royal Ballet in classes. There's a World Ballet Day interview with former Australian Ballet Artistic director David McAllister where he explains the physiological science of the heel rises, and their role in decreasing ankle injuries in the company. I find if I don't do a set of heel drops after most gym sessions, I get that stiffness - the heel drops stop it becoming actual pain.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LinMM said:

Yes I always wear a bra for class so this limits type of leotard I would wear as don't like the bra showing ....more an age thing I think as it’s quite trendy now not to worry so much about this. 
If performing so costume not meant to show bra we used to wear those flesh coloured rather thin leotards with transparent straps etc. I think you can also just buy the flesh coloured bra and “no see” straps in Capezio ....if you wanted to wear a more decorative leotard with a more exposed back but still wanted to wear a bra. 

As I have an F cup, I need a sports bra and really struggled to find a high impact one that didn't have a racer back but eventually found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XSTF7KQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1. It is really comfy, stops any bounce and doesn't show under a tank type leotard as long as it isn't too low cut at the front. Just wanted to drop this in here in case anyone else has the same struggle!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

Also at the barre, before you go into the centre, do heel raises in strict parallel, moving slowly from flat to demi pointe. Do maybe 8 on both legs, then try 4 on one leg, swap legs. You're aiming to build up to 16 on each leg. It's a very simple, slow exercise, and very tough! It's important to have your alignment really strong for this. But it will help with Achilles soreness.

I have to do the heel raises in class most of the time and can confirm that numbers 12-16 are an absolute killer! 

• Like 2

Sports bras are my nemesis it seems!
I bought a sports bra for the first time from M&S last summer as wanted something “easy” to put on when down at the local Lido after swimming. 
Heck easy was it not 😳 
I just couldn’t do it up even though had a zip at the front 😩

This was just trying out in the bedroom first! And under one of those changing “ponchos” thingies. 
I just couldn’t do it up even when not under the dark recesses of the poncho ☹️

The material was so strong so am sure would have given superb support if managed to do the actual zip up. 
I don’t know whether my hands have just got that much weaker now in the 7th decade or whether there was a knack I just didn’t get 🤔 
Anyway I returned it in the end after a vision of enraged battles instead of the athletic cool I wanted at the lido and changed it for a sort of supportive crop top type bra which a friend told me about.  I step into this one and then pull up and this is much easier and is about right for me but then I don’t really need a huge amount of support. This bra is just SO comfortable though but expensive at £20. I’ve now got three of them. They would work with a leotard not too low cut at the back. 

At my local indoor swimming pool there is a handy ledge running most of the way around the pool ideal to do heel drops in the water down at the deep end. Obviously a little easier in the water. You can also do rises on it but can’t do more than about 8 at the moment if on one leg only. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I don’t know whether my hands have just got that much weaker now in the 7th decade or whether there was a knack I just didn’t get 🤔 

I have seen at least one cartoon panel or meme based around that particular struggle, so it's obviously not just you.

2 hours ago, Kate_N said:

The back & knees might be DOMS - a fancy term for the "delayed onset muscle soreness" you can have about 2 days after unaccustomed or new exercise. It's why cross-training is so important for general fitness. Our bodies become accustomed to movements we do regularly.

But the Achilles stiffness needs some care: try doing what are called "eccentric" movements to really stretch the Achilles under load - hang off the end of a step or stair tread - stand in a careful well-aligned parallel position (no turn out!) have just your toes spread nice and flat (not gripping) on the stair, hold onto the bannister or wall, and as you breathe out, on a count of four, drop your heels below the stair tread as far as they can go. Then on another count of 4 rise up, and up to your demi pointe. Do this about 9 or 10 times. The last few will be tough! 

Caveat: I'm not a medical doctor (just a PhD!) but I had a bout of Achilles tendonitis, and saw a physiotherapist a couple of times. The exercise of hanging off a step/stair was prescribed and supervised by the physio (see vids on "hell drops"). The simple heel raises are done by the Australian Ballet and the Royal Ballet in classes. There's a World Ballet Day interview with former Australian Ballet Artistic director David McAllister where he explains the physiological science of the heel rises, and their role in decreasing ankle injuries in the company. I find if I don't do a set of heel drops after most gym sessions, I get that stiffness - the heel drops stop it becoming actual pain.

Thanks heaps Kate that is super helpful I’ll start those exercises.

Bizarrely enough it’s only my left Achilles that’s sore. The right is okay 🤷‍♀️ 

So I’ve decided to take the plunge and order a leotard in the sales. Are there any styles or colours that are better or any I should stay away from? Do I go for camisole, tank or cap sleeves? Or does it not matter? Thanks in advance and wishing you all a Merry Christmas x

27 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

So I’ve decided to take the plunge and order a leotard in the sales. Are there any styles or colours that are better or any I should stay away from? Do I go for camisole, tank or cap sleeves? Or does it not matter? Thanks in advance and wishing you all a Merry Christmas x

Doesn't matter: whatever makes you most comfortable and happiest: you know which style top you'll feel most confident in - I wouldn't dare buy my wife a cap sleeved one. Most seem to start with basic black (which seems to be almost universal adult uniform so it's probably worth owning one) but there's no real reason you should so if fluorescent pink makes you happy, go for it.

I don't quite know how to put this diplomatically, but it might be worth ordering a matching ballet skirt too if you're planning to do in person London classes, as I've noticed that what some ladies are comfortable wearing in all-girl classes may not be the same as in mixed classes or classes that can be seen by outsiders. 

Just be aware that camisole leos, whilst (I think are) a more flattering cut, are also slightly more hit-and-miss than tank and sleeved in terms of fit, if you're not trying on in person. (Hemmed edges and straps are always going to be less stretchy than just the fabric, or a seam.) If ordering camis online, I always look for lower cut underarms and/or alternative strap materials - such as the stretch lace trims that Wear Moi frequently use.  

Also, unless it's a brand known for its stretchy fabric, girth really matters!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colman said:

Doesn't matter: whatever makes you most comfortable and happiest: you know which style top you'll feel most confident in - I wouldn't dare buy my wife a cap sleeved one. Most seem to start with basic black (which seems to be almost universal adult uniform so it's probably worth owning one) but there's no real reason you should so if fluorescent pink makes you happy, go for it.

I don't quite know how to put this diplomatically, but it might be worth ordering a matching ballet skirt too if you're planning to do in person London classes, as I've noticed that what some ladies are comfortable wearing in all-girl classes may not be the same as in mixed classes or classes that can be seen by outsiders. 

Can I ask why your wife doesn’t like the cap sleeves Colman? 

Update: I went to Capezio and Bloch in Covent Garden today and the staff were so lovely in both stores and even gave me 10% discount for NHS staff. I have to say the service in Capezio was amazing though. Also they have a bargain/sale section in the basement with Leos starting from £5. I now have 4 leotards as am planning to try them on at home and return 2 or 3. I think my favourite is a Bloch Mirella black camisole one with peacock lace trim at the front, sadly it was also the most expensive 😭. Also have a black sheer wrap skirt and some Capezio super soft tights. Job done. I won’t lie I was pretty shocked to find I was a size Large to Extra Large though 😂 Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by Angela Essex
  • Like 4

Update: I went to Capezio and Bloch in Covent Garden today and the staff were so lovely in both stores and even gave me 10% discount for NHS staff. I have to say the service in Capezio was amazing though. Also they have a bargain/sale section in the basement with Leos starting from £5. I now have 4 leotards as am planning to try them on at home and return 2 or 3. I think my favourite is a Bloch Mirella black camisole one with peacock lace trim at the front, sadly it was also the most expensive 😭. Also have a black sheer wrap skirt and some Capezio super soft tights. Job done. I won’t lie I was pretty shocked to find I was a size Large to Extra Large though 😂 Thanks everyone for your help.

dancewear  sizes are their own  unique world of evil !   

to the point where  my  Imperfect Pointes Leo is a bespoke  , because of the combination of the  girth and bust measurements means the standard XL is  too small  so it's a "1.5 XL  long" ...  the IP  strategy on larger  sizes than their 'dancer normal'  standard size range has been a while in the making  and onvce again it  appears @sophie_rebecca and i have ended up as the   larger  sizes  dancewear SMEs ...