Yr12 entry auditions to NBS

Silversparkle

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what my daughter has said 

"i’d say it doesn’t really matter what style of dance you do when auditioning but it should be what you think best shows you off whether that be ballet or jazz or contemporary and so on. do try to make it an interesting routine though e.g. express highlights and react to the music rather than just dancing through it (be dynamic) and the best tip of all is to perform it!"

My input would be...do what you enjoy & feel comfortable doing adding more stress is not a good idea 

Hope this helps.

Mj

• Like 2

On 13/01/2022 at 00:58, Ballet-taxi said:

@Hairpinseverywhere my DD has also been offered a place and would be keen to be in accommodation with others. 

It would be good to get feedback from other dance  parents who have had their children at NBS and in the accommodation. 

Well done to your DD. 👏

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

@Jo Jo, my DD will also start in Sept and would be keen to be in accommodation with other dancers starting, especially as only 16. 
It might be a good idea to coordinate together or even get the ‘new starts’ a group chat together. 
I haven’t properly checked out the accommodation yet. I think there are at least 3 of them on here now. Well done to your DD.👏

• Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 20:14, Mjdb said:

This is what my daughter has said 

"i’d say it doesn’t really matter what style of dance you do when auditioning but it should be what you think best shows you off whether that be ballet or jazz or contemporary and so on. do try to make it an interesting routine though e.g. express highlights and react to the music rather than just dancing through it (be dynamic) and the best tip of all is to perform it!"

My input would be...do what you enjoy & feel comfortable doing adding more stress is not a good idea 

Hope this helps.

Mj

Awesome, thank you! 

On 28/01/2022 at 15:32, DancingShoes said:

My dd did a contemporary solo for her audition

On 29/01/2022 at 14:27, Silversparkle said:

Contemporary solo for my DD - they asked her why she chose that solo so go prepped with an answer ;)

On 29/01/2022 at 00:23, Ballet-taxi said:

@mum5678, My DD did lyrical at her audition but there were people who did ballet too. I wouldn’t worry too much about which style but do the one he feels most confident with. Good luck with the audition. 

Thank you so much everyone - this is super-helpful!  Xx

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 08:37, Jo Jo said:

That’s a good idea . my daughter is 15 so it’s all a bit daunting. It will be great to chat to other new starters 

Hi.  I’m mum to a NBS 2021 Graduate . My also DD auditioned when she was 15 so I can understand what you are going through. Happy to try and answer any questions you maybe beyond what you’ve seen it read in the prospectus. ☺️

There are quite a few 16 year olds just turned 17 year olds in the now 1st year. They seem to be doing well.  

Before actually starting at NBS they quickly found one another on social media & started chatting getting to know about each other before they actually met. My daughter found this a help & they socialize outside of classes & even the students that commute are involved & have stayed over many nights ! 

Mj

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 08:20, Ballet-taxi said:

@Jo Jo, my DD will also start in Sept and would be keen to be in accommodation with other dancers starting, especially as only 16. 
It might be a good idea to coordinate together or even get the ‘new starts’ a group chat together. 
I haven’t properly checked out the accommodation yet. I think there are at least 3 of them on here now. Well done to your DD.👏

To those with daughters starting this autumn and thinking about accommodation, just to let you know that my daughter and two NBS friends in the current year one have taken a 7-berth flat in New Medlock for next year and would be happy to have first years along to join them if they would like to. The three of them (all just turned 17) are lovely and pretty quiet - my daughter still goes to bed earlier than anyone we know! - and would be welcoming and helpful to any first years. I'm happy to have a chat with anyone who's interested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woo hoo..... We just had good news from NBS! DS is completely over the moon - he absolutely loved it. (He's also probably about to get kicked out of school because he keeps texting me with how excited he is so a good job he got an offer! 😂

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mum5678 said:

Woo hoo..... We just had good news from NBS! DS is completely over the moon - he absolutely loved it. (He's also probably about to get kicked out of school because he keeps texting me with how excited he is so a good job he got an offer! 😂

Congratulations and well done to your son. Lovely news for you all to start the weekend with.

5 hours ago, mum5678 said:

Well done !!

Congratulations to ds .

My dd loves NBS I'm sure he will too! 

Mj

Hi just to let you know we visited the NBS and accommodation in Manchester yesterday. We have booked a room in the Artisan Heights. We chose this accommodation as it is literally around the corner it’s very clean as it’s new and super secure. They have blocked off a flat of 5 for NBS 1st year students. If you are interested give them a call. Also they told me they are putting up the prices for the accommodation on the 28 th February. 

42 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Hi just to let you know we visited the NBS and accommodation in Manchester yesterday. We have booked a room in the Artisan Heights. We chose this accommodation as it is literally around the corner it’s very clean as it’s new and super secure. They have blocked off a flat of 5 for NBS 1st year students. If you are interested give them a call. Also they told me they are putting up the prices for the accommodation on the 28 th February. 

Thank you this is very handy info!

Great news that future year 1's plans are moving . I can't believe that we are now half way through our dd first year at NBS.  Some of the rents are eye watering & I personally know that lots of things have to be taken into consideration. Also students needs & wants also have to be considered. When we were first looking in the early days my dd was insistant that an en-suite was a must, which is what we booked but as time went on & a funded place wasn't offered this was cancelled. Then at the last moment a funded place was offered well at this point we didn't have the luxury of being picky! . . Accomodation we were able to book was a non en-suite which she was happy to take just to be at NBS.  Each student will be different. The sharing has been fine as there are only 2 of them in a 4 bedroomed flat...but do know of some where there are 4 & they manage quite well. Next year as she gets the chance to choose there are 4 of them sharing a 4 bedroomed flat ( still in MSV Dwell ) but these are all en-suites more expensive but manageable! Just! You have to have a mixture of wants & needs but also finances don't take on too much the dds & dds will manage.

Mj 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Has everyone with first year offers managed to log in to the new Bimm site ok? We are already on there as DD has an offer at performers too but I can’t see anything in there for NBS as yet.

Sorry, I don’t know what the Bimm site is. Could you explain please! X

2 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

DD had an email earlier asking for her to sign up to the BIMM site (link in email) to receive the formal offer, potentially in peoples spam or they could be sending them in batches 🙂

Oh, I am only aware of the first email with offer. We have not fully accepted space yet as my DD’s final auditions are this week. She has 6 offers but she has been very keen on NBS from the start. However I haven’t confirmed anything until she has been to all and is 100% sure. Though I think she is. 
I will check over initial letter and see if I can see link. I may have missed it! 

1 minute ago, Ballet-taxi said:

Oh, I am only aware of the first email with offer. We have not fully accepted space yet as my DD’s final auditions are this week. She has 6 offers but she has been very keen on NBS from the start. However I haven’t confirmed anything until she has been to all and is 100% sure. Though I think she is. 
I will check over initial letter and see if I can see link. I may have missed it! 

We got our original offer in December then this follow up today, DD accepted in December as it’s her first choice, exciting to see some movement!