Yr12 entry auditions to NBS

Silversparkle

Just now, Hairpinseverywhere said:

We got our original offer in December then this follow up today, DD accepted in December as it’s her first choice, exciting to see some movement!

Ahh, thank you! That explains it! We did sent the acceptance back after November’s audition result but with an email saying that we wouldn’t fully decide till all auditions were complete at the end of this week so perhaps that is why, we haven’t had a further email with the link.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/02/2022 at 17:51, Hairpinseverywhere said:

DD had an email earlier asking for her to sign up to the BIMM site (link in email) to receive the formal offer, potentially in peoples spam or they could be sending them in batches 🙂

We had a similar email - asked us to register on Bimm so that they could issue the formal offer from there (already had the initial letter through from NBS) but not had anything further through from the Bimm site yet. Guess they’re all getting used to the change in systems!

On 17/02/2022 at 14:31, Ballet-taxi said:

@Jo Jo, that’s good to hear! I have been in discussion with New Medlock who also have a flat blocked off for NBS students. Did you visit New Medlock too? My husband noticed there was quite a price difference between the two!🤣

Apparently the first flat is now full at New Medlock and they’ve just started another one for my DS!

• Like 1

On 17/02/2022 at 14:36, Jo Jo said:

No we didn’t as we very very impressed with artisan as it’s new and metlock house 15 years old 

Apparently New Medlock is being renovated over the summer…. If that helps at all! Does look like it needs it 🥴

1 hour ago, mum5678 said:

Apparently the first flat is now full at New Medlock and they’ve just started another one for my DS!

Not sure if you saw earlier in the thread but my daughter will be in a flat of 7 next year for her second year, with two other second years. They're pretty quiet and lovely and on the lookout for any first years to join them who might appreciate being shown the ropes.

11 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

Not sure if you saw earlier in the thread but my daughter will be in a flat of 7 next year for her second year, with two other second years. They're pretty quiet and lovely and on the lookout for any first years to join them who might appreciate being shown the ropes.

We are just waiting for funding info and will be calling to book as soon as / if DD gets a provisional offer.

Out of curiosity what are experiences with funding? I know one forum members DD received theirs at the eleventh hour last year!

Also what are people thoughts on average weekly costs for food etc? Do most get the same from their parents or have you noticed a large variation?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

We are just waiting for funding info and will be calling to book as soon as / if DD gets a provisional offer.

Out of curiosity what are experiences with funding? I know one forum members DD received theirs at the eleventh hour last year!

Also what are people thoughts on average weekly costs for food etc? Do most get the same from their parents or have you noticed a large variation?

IIR, funding took a painfully long time but there were stages - ie you were told what the calculation was likely to be but then it had to be verified. I can try and find the paperwork later...  Not quite eleventh hour though.

Definitely a large variation! Some seem to dine on several takeaways a week and shop just at the convenience stores, while my poor old daughter does her weekly trip to Aldi! We give her £200/month for food, washing and everything else (not ballet kit) - living, basically. She's done very well with her budgeting and is always chuffed if she saves a bit for a pizza every now and again.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Yes eleventh hr would be us !!! Lol once we had the offer everything was sorted very quickly & in time for the 1st rent installment. 

We give dd £40 per week ...more than covers her weekly shop & washing/ drying, she also shops at Aldi near to the arndale centre. Every now & again she will pop to the Tesco express if she needs a top up on bread fruit etc. Train tickets have also come out if this money as any left over stays in the account each month so accumulates over time.

What we also do is when taking her back after half terms/ holidays we stock up on toiletries, cleaning products etc so a little more is spent by us also saves her having to carry extra shopping . 

We actually had the conversation about budgets etc some of the other students get anything from £25 - £50 per week it just depends on foods bought & if they do their own washing ...or take home at the weekends .

Mj

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Yes eleventh hr would be us !!! Lol once we had the offer everything was sorted very quickly & in time for the 1st rent installment. 

We give dd £40 per week ...more than covers her weekly shop & washing/ drying, she also shops at Aldi near to the arndale centre. Every now & again she will pop to the Tesco express if she needs a top up on bread fruit etc. Train tickets have also come out if this money as any left over stays in the account each month so accumulates over time.

What we also do is when taking her back after half terms/ holidays we stock up on toiletries, cleaning products etc so a little more is spent by us also saves her having to carry extra shopping . 

We actually had the conversation about budgets etc some of the other students get anything from £25 - £50 per week it just depends on foods bought & if they do their own washing ...or take home at the weekends .

Mj

Glad to read this. Was worried we were being a bit tight!

She actually enjoys the responsibility of budgeting, shopping well and seeing if there's a bit left over at the end of the month which is hers to spend.

It's a long time since my dd was at NBS, but I remember there being a vast difference in the budgets that students had.  We paid DD's rent each term and gave DD a monthly allowance for food, essentials - with the agreement that if she wanted lots of extras she would have to get a part time job to cover them.  She worked in The Dancehouse Theatre, and in the end was able to earn enough for the extras and to save some money for final year auditions (a whole other subject which you should encourage your DCs to consider and budget for).

There were some who had bigger budgets from their parents - others who had no support from their parents at all for living expenses - they had to fully support themselves through part time jobs.

As to when funding offers came out - I think back then the first offers landed around Easter, about the same time that other schools were sending out their results from final auditions.  Others received offers later, presumably when the first tranche had had a chance to accept or decline their offers of funding.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancers Dad said:

If they don’t mind having a boy with them he’d be delighted…. He’s pretty well house trained and doesn’t smell! (I have 3 boys…. It’s a thing!😂) He tends to get on really well with girls in general - I guess you kind of have to when you’re a male ballet dancer! 

1 hour ago, Mjdb said:

Mj

Thank you…. This is SO helpful! Just having this conversation this evening with our 2 boys (one 18 and off to uni, other 16 and heading to NBS) Really hard to know where to start so this is great insight. 

54 minutes ago, mum5678 said:

If they don’t mind having a boy with them he’d be delighted…. He’s pretty well house trained and doesn’t smell! (I have 3 boys…. It’s a thing!😂) He tends to get on really well with girls in general - I guess you kind of have to when you’re a male ballet dancer! 

Ah 😬😁. I don't think that would work (or even be allowed by Medlock I don't think, especially with them being under 18). Sorry, I hadn't realised.

8 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

Ah 😬😁. I don't think that would work (or even be allowed by Medlock I don't think, especially with them being under 18). Sorry, I hadn't realised.

I don't think Medlock have rules which prohibit mixed flats for Under 18s, or they didn't when my dd was there at least.  My dd lived in a mixed flat with other NBS students when she started when she was 16 and it worked really well.   However I accept this is very much a personal choice and if your dd would prefer to live an all girl flat that's completely understandable.  For my dd, the bigger problems arose when one of the NBS students left and was replaced by a university student.  Not that we were ever concerned for DD's safety but the uni student's schedule was SO different from the NBS students that it caused quite a lot of conflict.  

DS is only 16, so falls into the same age category, but I appreciate some girls might prefer to be in an all girls flat.

I share all the concerns about mixing them with uni students, can’t imagine the difference in timing of their timetables works awfully well! That’s actually my biggest worry about him going… ballet school looks great but I’m really not completely comfortable with them being in halls.

@Ballet-taxithe lady at NM mentioned one flat was flat was now full when I spoke to her so guess that’s your DDs, hence starting him off in a new one, but she did say it would be kept for NBS because of his age. 

Edited by mum5678
Wrong name!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ballet-taxi said:

My DD has booked into New Medlock last week. She is booked into the New Medlock flat that they have kept for new NBS under age students. It was a flat of 5 but I think she was the only one in when I booked it. 

Just wondering…. Did they say where it was? We only booked towards the end last week too and wondering if they might be in the same one based on timings… I thought she said it was a flat of 4 or 5, but definitely said it was on the 7th floor. But did specifically say the other one was full and she’d started a new NBS flat. 🤔

When we originally booked NM I found that the staff ( was Easter then I think Zobia not sure if it has changed again )  were very mindful of ages of NBS students & not mixing uni & NBS students as their days are so different. I would just suggest talking to who is now over sales & voice your concerns & get as much info / reassurance as possible. As a mom I know how difficult it is for us to place our dds or dds in the hands of someone else & we have to get it right! 

Mj

4 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

When we originally booked NM I found that the staff ( was Easter then I think Zobia not sure if it has changed again )  were very mindful of ages of NBS students & not mixing uni & NBS students as their days are so different. I would just suggest talking to who is now over sales & voice your concerns & get as much info / reassurance as possible. As a mom I know how difficult it is for us to place our dds or dds in the hands of someone else & we have to get it right! 

Mj

Zobia is still there and helpful (it was Eszter before that). They definitely do all they can but it's still worth keeping on top of it. A 20 y.o. uni student appeared in my daughter's planned flat of 4 - until I explained that this wasn't ok and wasn't what they'd said. They did change it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jo Jo said:

I have booked my daughter 16 years old in the flat reserved for 5 for first year students in artisan heights. So there are 4 rooms left. She would like to share with other first year students 

Thanks Jo Jo….. it looks amazing there and he’d absolutely love it, but it comes down to a bit of a cost issue for us unfortunately! But happy to share contact details if the DCs want to get in touch ahead of September so they can set up a little chat group for any newbies. DM me if she likes the idea of that. DS is a friendly little soul and won’t mind setting it up (even though I know I will get a “MUUUUUUMMMMM!” when he finds out I’ve said that!!😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dancers Dad said:

Zobia is still there and helpful (it was Eszter before that). They definitely do all they can but it's still worth keeping on top of it. A 20 y.o. uni student appeared in my daughter's planned flat of 4 - until I explained that this wasn't ok and wasn't what they'd said. They did change it.

Yes, we’ve been chatting with Zobia… she’s fab! 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

I have booked my daughter 16 years old in the flat reserved for 5 for first year students in artisan heights. So there are 4 rooms left. She would like to share with other first year students 

Artisan Heights looked fab but was just too big a difference in price for us. So for 1st year, we’re going with New Medlock. I’m sure there will be students booking into both though. It would be good to put them all in contact with each other whichever accommodation they are in. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Mj

Yes, it is Zobia and she was extremely helpful. I just emailed. It took a while for her to get back in touch(may be part time) but when she did, she was super helpful.

Panicking a bit here... I've booked my daughter into new medlock but she still has 2 recall auditions to attend who probably won't announce places until end of March or maybe even April. 

NM have only a 7 day cooling off period before you're basically liable for the whole year unless they fill your place. 

Dd is DESPERATE to attend and says Manchester is where she should be but we won't even be able to send her unless she gets DaDA funding. Aaarghhh!

3 minutes ago, Skibidi said:

Panicking a bit here... I've booked my daughter into new medlock but she still has 2 recall auditions to attend who probably won't announce places until end of March or maybe even April. 

NM have only a 7 day cooling off period before you're basically liable for the whole year unless they fill your place. 

Dd is DESPERATE to attend and says Manchester is where she should be but we won't even be able to send her unless she gets DaDA funding. Aaarghhh!

Hi we can’t send DD without a DaDa either I’ve resigned myself to not signing up for accommodation until we know for sure, which is a gamble on what accommodation she gets in the end but it’s only for a year and can move her accommodation in year 2 if she’s not happy where she ends up. Worst case it’s 2 hours on a direct train if all accommodations are booked up and she will just have to wait until someone drops out of uni or something to take their contract over! I’m not a fan of the ambiguity of waiting on the DaDa.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skibidi said:

@SkibidiWe have booked but haven't committed anything other than a booking form.  I was told that I could hang off with deposit at this stage.  I wasn't told about a cooling off period but actually haven't signed anything other than a booking form giving student's details. I haven't signed to any terms and conditions as such.

We also are waiting to hear from one and have a recall but just like you, my DD seems to be set on NBS. I think they will be able to fill space as if your DD doesn't take her space, someone else will and will want a room. Fingers crossed it all works and well done to your daughter!

Edited by Ballet-taxi
typo!

Believe me I know this feeling. We were in exactly the same boat last year !!. Please contact Zobia & ask about NBS students having same cancellation policy as uni students, as last year we too had to make a decision before a cut off date ...think it was end if May. At that time it was Easter I spoke with & she got this changed so we could cancel once we knew if we had a Dada offer or not. Let me check through my emails & see if I can see exactly what was said.

Mj 

Ok this is what was agreed last year. I would hope they would have the same policy this year. Please contact Zobia at NM & ask if this is a possibility.

I know it's a new year but to put your mind at rest contact & ask them !  

Good morning M****e

I am really good thank you, hopefully your lovely family as well. 

Yes, I have very good news, I just received the email yesterday afternoon, If **** won't be eligible for the Dada funding and you will show us an evidence in this case the NO PLACE NO PAY policy will be applicable, my operation manager just confirmed this for me 🙂 So in this case you can cancel the booking for free of charge, and you will get back the £250 advanced rent as a refund. 

I hope this helps 🙂 

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me. 

Kind regards, 
Eszter

Mj 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2022 at 20:35, mum5678 said:

Just to add - I've now spoken to my daughter and it turns out I'd made far too many assumptions 🤦‍♂️. She'd be fine with a house-trained, unsmelly boy! The other two girls she's moving in with actually live with a boy currently apparently - don't know how this hasn't come up in conversation in the last 5 months!

• Like 2