Yr12 entry auditions to NBS

Silversparkle

19 minutes ago, mum5678 said:

We also have been told there's an 18 yr old moving in to the flat (with 3, 16 yr olds) which we're not very happy with. 

Oh and you can only be insured once your 17, so none of them can access the insurance either... it's going really well! 🙄😂 On the plus side, they're a lovely little bunch and getting on like a house on fire. 

No - I understand your worries there...

I didn't realise that about insurance. Is that universal? Our home insurance seems to cover going away to school/college/Uni but I'd better check for an under 18 exemption...

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ballet-taxi said:

Yes, we were the same.

We walked into paint splats,

plaster dust and large bits of plaster board everywhere.

There was a bucket of dirty water and pieces of wood on the floor. The whole flat was dirty with plaster dust and strong smell of paint. The showers were dirty from workmen having been working in there. 
However we complained and they explained they had finished decorating that morning and just hadn’t done the clean/tidy before we got there at 10am.

In fairness, they sent a team straight up and we continued to tell them about each snag/area to clean/fix and every time,

someone came extremely quick and got things fixed. Not ideal but they were quick to sort! So, I think it’s all flats. I’m thinking at least they got in and it’s all newly refurbished with everything new. It would have been a disaster if they had to wait to move in, or have a temporary move.

I hope your DD’s flat is sorted quick.

I’m so sorry to hear that uS are still up to their old tricks, having not learnt anything over the years. When my DD and friends moved in for their 2nd yr there was a supermarket trolley full of painters equipment. Overwhelming stink of white spirit and paint splatters all over the furniture. Not forgetting the hazard of storing flammable substances in a flat which I kindly brought to their attention.  The staff were great and removed the items and replaced furniture but that shouldn’t have to happen on checkin day. Despite their reassurances that all flats receive a full inspection before students move in this was and by the looks of things very obviously still not happening. 

I’ve just taken my son to Uni for the first time, for about the same costs as uS accommodation, his flat was immaculate, the en-suite was of hotel standard. We were both pleasantly surprised having only had uS accommodation to base our expectations on.
They even incl brand new bedding & linen!! 

I do hope everything is sorted out soon and everyone settles in to their new year. 

• Like 1

It's appalling how little things change, despite warm words and all that corporate guff on their website. On the ground, they couldn't project-manage their way out of a paper bag. Poor old front desk team get landed with everything, time after time. 

I hope their complacency is punctured soon as students start voting with their feet. Let's hope it's not a genuine disaster that wakes them up.

I like the sound of the non-uS accommodation you found!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

It's appalling how little things change, despite warm words and all that corporate guff on their website. On the ground, they couldn't project-manage their way out of a paper bag. Poor old front desk team get landed with everything, time after time. 

I hope their complacency is punctured soon as students start voting with their feet. Let's hope it's not a genuine disaster that wakes them up.

I like the sound of the non-uS accommodation you found!

I think uS have a monopoly of Halls so they have become complacent over the years knowing that students have little other choice. Which is such a shame. 
My sons accommodation is on campus so the Uni has complete control over the accommodation. Somethings don’t change though. Missing shelves in fridge & freezers! Lol 🙄😅

• Like 2

20 hours ago, balletbean said:

I think uS have a monopoly of Halls so they have become complacent over the years knowing that students have little other choice. Which is such a shame. 
My sons accommodation is on campus so the Uni has complete control over the accommodation. Somethings don’t change though. Missing shelves in fridge & freezers! Lol 🙄😅

Ha ha.. you read my mind.  Dropping my eldest off into his Uni owned halls on Saturday... we were just saying that it will be very interesting to compare and contrast! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mum5678 said:

Ha ha.. you read my mind.  Dropping my eldest off into his Uni owned halls on Saturday... we were just saying that it will be very interesting to compare and contrast! 

Same here we are off to uni halls tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2022 at 09:54, mum5678 said:

Good luck & best wishes, hope all goes well. 🍀

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Streetdancer said:

We finally worked out how to apply to NBS and submitted the form. Surprised to see no questions about dance training or grades. Is there another stage to the application, does anybody know? 

My DD started there this year and I’ve just checked and the same form is still there. There is a section for Grades etc.  https://www.northernballetschool.co.uk/docs/Application_Form_NBS1.pdf