Yr12 entry auditions to NBS

Silversparkle

Hi all, 

can’t find any thread related to 6th form auditions so thought I post a quick question instead of just reading

DD did her Northern Ballet school audition today but forgot to ask how long until results are out.

Before I contact them, does anyone know what to expect? Also as they did interviews and solos, I’m guessing they don’t do finals but she didn’t ask and they didn’t say.

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Silversparkle said:

Hi all, 

can’t find any thread related to 6th form auditions so thought I post a quick question instead of just reading

DD did her Northern Ballet school audition today but forgot to ask how long until results are out.

Before I contact them, does anyone know what to expect? Also as they did interviews and solos, I’m guessing they don’t do finals but she didn’t ask and they didn’t say.

Thanks in advance 

Good Luck to your DD, my DD auditioned yesterday too ☺️

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2021 at 19:56, balletbean said:

@Silversparkle& @Hairpinseverywhere  good luck to both your Dd’s. Offer letters were received a week after the audition. Still love that NBS send out letters rather than an email.   
My DD loved her time at NBS. Now living the dream ☺️

Hi @balletbean & @DancingShoesDD received the good news today just wanted to update for future applicants looking, received via email on this occasion 🙂

Edited by Hairpinseverywhere
  • Like 6

On 15/12/2021 at 14:14, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Hi @balletbean & @DancingShoesDD received the good news today just wanted to update for future applicants looking, received via email on this occasion 🙂

Oh. 21st century has arrived at NBS 😄💻

Congratulations to your Dd. A fantastic early Christmas present 🤩

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask if anyone knows, if there is still a lean towards newmedlock for first years accommodation? Past posts I’ve seen seem to show a trend for newmedlock and I also spotted last year they seem to book up pretty quickly and with the opening/reopening of the additional accommodations in the area I wondered if there had been any shift as I’d ideally like DD to be with others from NBS.

Thank you🙂

• Like 1

On 30/12/2021 at 18:01, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Can I ask if anyone knows, if there is still a lean towards newmedlock for first years accommodation? Past posts I’ve seen seem to show a trend for newmedlock and I also spotted last year they seem to book up pretty quickly and with the opening/reopening of the additional accommodations in the area I wondered if there had been any shift as I’d ideally like DD to be with others from NBS.

Thank you🙂

Hi. New Medlock does seem to be the preferred option. Parkway Gate (right next door) is closed at present for refurbishment. No idea when Unite Students (uS) will reopen that one as work was delayed due to lockdown .
Artisan House also run by uS is even closer to the Dance House however as a brand new property the fees are reflected in this. I believe there are a number of 3rd yrs in Artisan this yr. 
uS staff have always been very good in ensuring NBS pupils are accommodated together, especially the 1st yrs. Majority of Medlock is ‘Halls’ to uni students. Unless specifically requested uS do not mix NBS pupils with Uni students.  

There’s usually an ‘early bird’ rate if booked before April. as soon as they have one NBS pupil they block off a specific flat then add another pupil as and when they receive their application. Majority I would say choose the en-suite option with an average of 5/6 per flat. 

There’s also properties operated by Dwell nearby. Less popular with NBS pupils but still used. They charge less than Medlock but the price reflects the size of the flats and services provided. 

Happy to answer any other questions you may have 🙂

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

I agree with @balletbean although I believe Parkway is supposed to reopen in September - unlikely looking at the state of the building! Artisan Heights is eye wateringly expensive, Dwell is much cheaper but it wouldn't be my first choice. Some live further afield but there are some not so nice parts of Manchester nearby which needs to be considered. Also happy to help if you need any info. 

I know some have booked for next year already and have spare rooms in their flats too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DancingShoes said:

I agree with @balletbean although I believe Parkway is supposed to reopen in September - unlikely looking at the state of the building! Artisan Heights is eye wateringly expensive, Dwell is much cheaper but it wouldn't be my first choice. Some live further afield but there are some not so nice parts of Manchester nearby which needs to be considered. Also happy to help if you need any info. 

I know some have booked for next year already and have spare rooms in their flats too.

We used 1st yr Medlock, 2nd/3rd yr Parkway then bounced back into Medlock when they closed Parkway for all of a few weeks.  I took comfort that even though at the time my DD had only just turned 16 the accommodation was so close & there was no need for public transport. I also took it upon myself to engage with the uS staff. Which I would suggest and recommend to any parent especially with their DC in their 1st yr. uS staff are very understanding and supportive. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

Thank you🙂

Hi,

My daughter is in dwell. Originally was booked for Medlock en-suite room but due to late offer of a place we had to cancel & then with 12 days ....yes 12 days! we had to quickly find somewhere for her to live we tried Medlock with no luck so tried dwell MSV we managed to get her into a 4 bedroomed flat with no ensuite but we just needed accomodation.  Her flat has a shared toilet, shower room which are large & a shared kitchen ( small ) & no living/ dining room. As luck would have it it's worked out perfect for her only 2 of them sharing. There was excitement for Parkway re opening all being new etc but she has decided for next year she is staying in dwell & we have booked for an en-suite again 4 bedroomed flat, shared kitchen plus dining/ living space.,which I think is better when there will be 4 of them sharing.

I do know there are a few students who do live in various accomodations dotted around the area. Re offers & funding time scales I will say ........my dd was offered a place very soon after her audition .....funding was a different story don't give up hope waiting for funding....we were working on plan 'B' & almost was on its path but as I said with 12days to the start of NBS term my dd had the best news & one term in she's loving NBS & all it has to offer, also loves being in the heart of Manchester.

Mj x

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi,

My daughter is in dwell. Originally was booked for Medlock en-suite room but due to late offer of a place we had to cancel & then with 12 days ....yes 12 days! we had to quickly find somewhere for her to live we tried Medlock with no luck so tried dwell MSV we managed to get her into a 4 bedroomed flat with no ensuite but we just needed accomodation.  Her flat has a shared toilet, shower room which are large & a shared kitchen ( small ) & no living/ dining room. As luck would have it it's worked out perfect for her only 2 of them sharing. There was excitement for Parkway re opening all being new etc but she has decided for next year she is staying in dwell & we have booked for an en-suite again 4 bedroomed flat, shared kitchen plus dining/ living space.,which I think is better when there will be 4 of them sharing.

I do know there are a few students who do live in various accomodations dotted around the area. Re offers & funding time scales I will say ........my dd was offered a place very soon after her audition .....funding was a different story don't give up hope waiting for funding....we were working on plan 'B' & almost was on its path but as I said with 12days to the start of NBS term my dd had the best news & one term in she's loving NBS & all it has to offer, also loves being in the heart of Manchester.

Mj x

Oh wow that’s fantastic for your DD at the eleventh hour, how stressful it must have been! Thank you for sharing this I am trying to not think about the waiting for funding, I do really like to be organised so I imagine it’s going to get a bit nerve wracking as time goes on! I have resolved it’s better to have as much information as I can gather now so we can act swiftly if/when the time comes!! 🙂

I'd echo much of the above, particularly:

• Medlock is still pretty popular with the students, especially first years. Quite a few first years are moving out at the end of this year. It is definitely one of the cheaper options. It's not perfect but it's fine. The staff seem to be very busy but they do try their best for the NBS students.
  • Only when you see all the accommodation do you realise just how close to NBS they all are! This is quite important, I think - they have a long day and walk back in the dark for quite a few months.
  • I know a number of NBS students have booked Parkway for next year but having seen it again yesterday (when taking my daughter back to Medlock), I wouldn't be booking it. I know there are eight months to go but there is A LOT still to do and there is a serious materials (and to some extent labour) shortage in construction atm. It could well be brilliant but if you want certainty, think very carefully!
  • I learnt nearly all of what I needed to know about NBS/accommodation etc from very helpful people on here - including people in this thread - so do make good use of people's experience. I'm happy to add my 4 months' experience as an NBS parent too!  And definitely go up and have a look round the accommodation too, get a feel for the location etc.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Hi,

Mj x

Hi. Just thought I would add not just for you but for all others currently in accommodation for NBS and the end of the summer term. And the dreaded ‘get out’. Whilst we all like to believe that they just have what they arrived with (full car for some) don’t be lulled into the idea that their possessions will now fit in the same car and you will be able to find a space at home for the summer. Lol. 

There are multiple self storage units in and around the city offering special rates for students over the summer break. One company we used provided a van to pick up all the boxes etc and the best part was they delivered it back to the new flat in-time for our return in the Sept. No need to be in attendance either as we had informed uS staff before delivery. I’m sure there would be no difference for Dwell. All companies are fully insured, with very little hassle. Best decision we made. Happy to share info as best as I can if required. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Hi. Just thought I would add not just for you but for all others currently in accommodation for NBS and the end of the summer term. And the dreaded ‘get out’. Whilst we all like to believe that they just have what they arrived with (full car for some) don’t be lulled into the idea that their possessions will now fit in the same car and you will be able to find a space at home for the summer. Lol. 

There are multiple self storage units in and around the city offering special rates for students over the summer break. One company we used provided a van to pick up all the boxes etc and the best part was they delivered it back to the new flat in-time for our return in the Sept. No need to be in attendance either as we had informed uS staff before delivery. I’m sure there would be no difference for Dwell. All companies are fully insured, with very little hassle. Best decision we made. Happy to share info as best as I can if required. 

See? This is the sort of thing you'd never think of (well, I wouldn't)! We'd already started talking about doing two trips in the summer!

• Like 1

Just now, Dancers Dad said:

See? This is the sort of thing you'd never think of (well, I wouldn't)! We'd already started talking about doing two trips in the summer!

Further to this, do people generally book the ‘full year’ 51 weeks or the academic year options? I can see they are priced differently on Dwell but US don’t seem to be offering that at this point for NewMedlock.

6 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Further to this, do people generally book the ‘full year’ 51 weeks or the academic year options? I can see they are priced differently on Dwell but US don’t seem to be offering that at this point for NewMedlock.

When I was booking with Unite, the 51 week option was, bizarrely, cheaper than the academic year option, so we booked that. Probably would have done academic year otherwise (after very carefully checking dates covered full NBS term times).

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Originally we were booked for the 51wks( when had Medlock room )  ...yes agree with Dancers Dad as was the cheaper option. We are with dwell now for 48 wks but have booked for next year 44 wks. Big difference also between en-suite & non but suppose the kids know what they want & what the purse will stretch to ! Think quite a few are doing a shuffle & moving around ...maybe due to friendship groups as they have got to know one another ? Saying that from what I hear all of them get on & mix with each other.

Fully agree if you can go have a look around do.

Just to add the 44 wks at dwell does cover the NBS academic year I did DBL check ! 

Mj

Edited by Mjdb
To add info.

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

Hi balletbean,

I had heard of storage but have no idea how they charge ...is it per week / month? Are the rates reasonable . Well if taking her back after Christmas is anything to go by we will need a removal team & large ...very large van !! Lol

She a ' well I might need it' kind of girl ! 

Mj

• Like 1

Just now, DancingShoes said:

We used a storage unit last summer, it worked out quite cheap and much less stressful. I'll find the details when I get home but I remember there being a half price deal for students who booked early. 

Hi Dancing shoes,

That would be great thx.

Mj

38 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi balletbean,

I had heard of storage but have no idea how they charge ...is it per week / month? Are the rates reasonable . Well if taking her back after Christmas is anything to go by we will need a removal team & large ...very large van !! Lol

She a ' well I might need it' kind of girl ! 

Mj

The rate was based on a set 8 week rental. The companies sub divide one bigger unit by marking off areas with tape. The students belongings are placed within the unit in the designated area. The unit is locked and secure for those 8 weeks. No one has access for that time. Just looking at my old invoice it worked out at about £10pw. Which I thought was very reasonable. As mentioned there are numerous companies offering storage to students. Many dropping flyers off at ‘Halls’. My decision was a very last minute thing so there was no ‘early bird discount’ but still worth it. 

1 hour ago, Mjdb said:

Hi Dancing shoes,

That would be great thx.

Mj

We paid £30 per month for 2 months, it went up after that but we only had one extra week. You could probably get away with a smaller unit but my dd had a couple of ikea kallax units for extra storage in her room.

We used LoknStore Salford. It's just at the end of the M602. We had our own unit so could access it whenever we wanted. We just had to provide a padlock. It was brand new last year so really clean and the staff were brilliant. 

It saved a lot of arguing over where to put everything at home!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DancingShoes said:

We paid £30 per month for 2 months, it went up after that but we only had one extra week. You could probably get away with a smaller unit but my dd had a couple of ikea kallax units for extra storage in her room.

We used LoknStore Salford. It's just at the end of the M602. We had our own unit so could access it whenever we wanted. We just had to provide a padlock. It was brand new last year so really clean and the staff were brilliant. 

It saved a lot of arguing over where to put everything at home!

That price is very good. We used Safe Storage which is just off the A56. Beyond Victoria train station but not as far as the Arena. As they provided the van at an additional cost the location wasn’t really a factor.   Just shows there’s deals out there if you do your homework early enough. 

• Like 1

Thank you🙂

6 hours ago, Ballet-taxi said:

@Hairpinseverywhere my DD has also been offered a place and would be keen to be in accommodation with others. 

It would be good to get feedback from other dance  parents who have had their children at NBS and in the accommodation. 

Well done to your DD. 👏

Oh Congrats to your DD!!  👏🏼 I contacted US and they said accommodation can be booked and if DD is unsuccessful in gaining funding, then cancelled FOC. I think you just need to let them know it’s for NBS. We are making plans to go and view some of the accommodations so DD can see her options.