Yr12 entry auditions to NBS

Silversparkle

2 hours ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Oh Congrats to your DD!!  👏🏼 I contacted US and they said accommodation can be booked and if DD is unsuccessful in gaining funding, then cancelled FOC. I think you just need to let them know it’s for NBS. We are making plans to go and view some of the accommodations so DD can see her options.

Congratulations to both your dds.

I'm happy to see that US are now offering free cancellations as this wasn't the case last year & I had several conversations with staff about this & was first rejected but later on accepted that ...as we know funding can be a very last minute thing ! Also make sure you do say for NBS students as they will try & place the students together they  also were mindful that NBS students can be age 16+ unlike most of the other students who will be 18+. Again we have had no problems with dwell MSV accomodation & my daughter plans on staying there next year. I believe that there is refurb being done & rooms are being rebranded.

Mj

• Like 1

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Ballet-taxi said:

@Hairpinseverywhere my DD has also been offered a place and would be keen to be in accommodation with others. 

It would be good to get feedback from other dance  parents who have had their children at NBS and in the accommodation. 

Well done to your DD. 👏

I have a daughter at NBS, staying in New Medlock. Happy to answer any questions. Had a rough start at NM with a spate of nightly fire alarms but that problem seems to have been solved. The Unite people are nice and helpful but stretched. The building's a bit tired but there's talk of a bit of room refurb this summer.

In terms of booking, they do try and get NBS students all together, especially the youngsters. My daughter's flat is four 16-17 year olds, all first year.  It's worth keeping an eye on the process though, as they did try and put a 20 year old university student in their flat at one point and it took quite a lot of calls and emails to persuade them to stick to their word. (We later discovered that the 20 year old had been moved in with three other NBS students next door! They obviously didn't object as loudly...)

13 hours ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Oh Congrats to your DD!!  👏🏼 I contacted US and they said accommodation can be booked and if DD is unsuccessful in gaining funding, then cancelled FOC. I think you just need to let them know it’s for NBS. We are making plans to go and view some of the accommodations so DD can see her options.

Oh well done! I will try to call next week then and start finding out. Unfortunately we’re too far to do an accommodation visit and don’t have a free weekend at the moment. Please let us know how you get on. 
The most important thing would to make sure she is in same accommodation as other 16 year old NBS students. She’s very excited! A few more auditions to go but think she’s set on NBS. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Congratulations to both your dds.

I'm happy to see that US are now offering free cancellations as this wasn't the case last year & I had several conversations with staff about this & was first rejected but later on accepted that ...as we know funding can be a very last minute thing ! Also make sure you do say for NBS students as they will try & place the students together they  also were mindful that NBS students can be age 16+ unlike most of the other students who will be 18+. Again we have had no problems with dwell MSV accomodation & my daughter plans on staying there next year. I believe that there is refurb being done & rooms are being rebranded.

Mj

Good to know all this in advance and to be aware! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ballet-taxi said:

Oh well done! I will try to call next week then and start finding out. Unfortunately we’re too far to do an accommodation visit and don’t have a free weekend at the moment. Please let us know how you get on. 
The most important thing would to make sure she is in same accommodation as other 16 year old NBS students. She’s very excited! A few more auditions to go but think she’s set on NBS. 

I think you should also take into account that all 1st years won't be 16/17 year olds & being with the same school year group is also something to think about. I think this year the age range is 16 - 20 year olds in the 1st year. So maybe think more in terms of 1st years rather than just age.

Mj

1 hour ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Does anyone have any tips on what to take and what not to take when moving into the halls?

I know there are plenty of generic lists online but wondered if anyone had any experiences to share 🙂

Hi,

Please don't let my daughter advice you ! I think she has everything but the kitchen sink !!! 🤣

I would say this can also depend on which accomodation you go into.

We found that extension leads were a must ....daughter can't live without her phone by the side of her bed & no plug there in her room also where her radio alarm clock is. So we also supplied a small drawer set as her bedside table the drawers contain unknown treasures , that she obviously needs but don't think ever used ......get my drift as to why it going to be either storage company at the end of year 1 or a van to bring it all home ....to then do the reverse 8 or so weeks later !! Sorry not much help ! 

All that aside we just bought what you would need for food prep & cooking. We did take a sweeping brush & dustpan & brush. Already in the shared kitchen was a mop & bucket, bowl & drainer rubbish bin, electric kettle, toaster. She had a washing basket which we have now changed to a large  primark bag as she says this will be easier to carry, get through doors etc. She has a tripod clothes airer ...doesn't use a drier for  her uniform & a few other things so this comes in handy, for her move next year we don't think it will fit in the new accomodation so have bought an over the door airer for then ( similar kind of thing to when you go caravan holiday & airers hang over the window ledge. Mirror for make up, a peg board for photos ...was 1 there but she's filled both ! Took all bedding...there was a new mattress protector supplied when we arrived. 

In dwell MSV you can borrow a hoover from reception ...don't think she does this very often ! 

Then all their personal stuff.

There will be loads of advice here & each will have their own add one & must haves. My dd has only been there for a term so still early & we are still learning too.

Mj 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi,

Please don't let my daughter advice you ! I think she has everything but the kitchen sink !!! 🤣

Oh, this made me laugh out loud.  Many years ago I was working on a project that required me to have accommodation in Bath and I had a room in a house (it was furnished).  When I was moving back to Liverpool full time - it took me SIX trips in my car to empty my room and office!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mjdb said:

I think you should also take into account that all 1st years won't be 16/17 year olds & being with the same school year group is also something to think about. I think this year the age range is 16 - 20 year olds in the 1st year. So maybe think more in terms of 1st years rather than just age.

Mj

This is a good point - but don't be put off if your 16 year old is sharing with older NBS students.  When my dd started she was 16.  Her flat mates were two 18 year olds, one 19 year old and one twenty something.  They were all first years and it seemed to work really well for my dd as her flatmates had a little more experience of life.  She still refers to one of her older flatmates as her big sis.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Hi,

I would say this can also depend on which accomodation you go into.

We found that extension leads were a must ....daughter can't live without her phone by the side of her bed & no plug there in her room also where her radio alarm clock is. So we also supplied a small drawer set as her bedside table the drawers contain unknown treasures , that she obviously needs but don't think ever used ......get my drift as to why it going to be either storage company at the end of year 1 or a van to bring it all home ....to then do the reverse 8 or so weeks later !! Sorry not much help ! 

All that aside we just bought what you would need for food prep & cooking. We did take a sweeping brush & dustpan & brush. Already in the shared kitchen was a mop & bucket, bowl & drainer rubbish bin, electric kettle, toaster. She had a washing basket which we have now changed to a large  primark bag as she says this will be easier to carry, get through doors etc. She has a tripod clothes airer ...doesn't use a drier for  her uniform & a few other things so this comes in handy, for her move next year we don't think it will fit in the new accomodation so have bought an over the door airer for then ( similar kind of thing to when you go caravan holiday & airers hang over the window ledge. Mirror for make up, a peg board for photos ...was 1 there but she's filled both ! Took all bedding...there was a new mattress protector supplied when we arrived. 

In dwell MSV you can borrow a hoover from reception ...don't think she does this very often ! 

Then all their personal stuff.

There will be loads of advice here & each will have their own add one & must haves. My dd has only been there for a term so still early & we are still learning too.

Mj 

@Hairpinseverywhere
I concur with the very detailed list provided by @Mjdb. I went into it blind when my DD started. Resulting in some unnecessary expenses on one hand and missed other more obvious items on the other hand 🤦‍♀️
Besides the personal crockery etc don’t go too overboard on kitchen equipment to start with, they tend to share generic items.  After-all who needs 6 tin openers and 6 colanders in one kitchen! 
Basket in bedroom to throw the hairdryer and straighteners + brushes to keep them all in the same place A desktop make up organiser is very useful. Makeup bags whilst needed on show days are fiddly on a daily basis. Some photos from home just to get them started. Blue/white tac. 
A fleecy throw or similar for those cold northern winter nights. Sliders were the go to wardrobe item instead of slippers as they can be worn outside to cross over to the laundry (incl fire drills etc) as well as worn indoors. One trivial item they all seem to love are LED lights that come in a strip and stick to the walls or similar to decorate their room. 

3 hours ago, glowlight said:

This is a good point - but don't be put off if your 16 year old is sharing with older NBS students.  When my dd started she was 16.  Her flat mates were two 18 year olds, one 19 year old and one twenty something.  They were all first years and it seemed to work really well for my dd as her flatmates had a little more experience of life.  She still refers to one of her older flatmates as her big sis.

Absolutely, however from my DD’s experience the older 1st yrs in her flat were not necessarily the more mature and/or experienced ones out of the group 😉. Bless ‘em all 😄

• Like 2

@Hairpinseverywhere the other thing to consider (in case you haven’t) is a mini medicine box in addition to the usual dancers first aid kit. It might never be needed but if they are going to become unwell it will no doubt always be in the middle of the night so it’s helpful to have a small supply of essentials readily at hand.  Just the sort of things you may pack for a family holiday ie upset stomachs, rehydration powder, cold/flu remedies etc. A small hot water bottle or wheatgerm bag can also be helpful for those girlie moments.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, balletbean said:

@Hairpinseverywhere the other thing to consider (in case you haven’t) is a mini medicine box in addition to the usual dancers first aid kit. It might never be needed but if they are going to become unwell it will no doubt always be in the middle of the night so it’s helpful to have a small supply of essentials readily at hand.  Just the sort of things you may pack for a family holiday ie upset stomachs, rehydration powder, cold/flu remedies etc. A small hot water bottle or wheatgerm bag can also be helpful for those girlie moments.  

Yes I second the medicine box .....nothing mini about dds though ! Lol. I think all of them at some point last term had coughs colds sore throats etc. Also a basic sewing kit including safety pins.

Mj

• Like 2

On 14/01/2022 at 11:52, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Does anyone have any tips on what to take and what not to take when moving into the halls?

I know there are plenty of generic lists online but wondered if anyone had any experiences to share 🙂

In addition to an emergency medical kit and sewing kit, I made up a box of essentials such as a toilet roll, shower gel, small shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, just in case my daughter didn't have time to shop and ran out of them. I also put in a supermarket 'gift' card to be used if (when!) she ran out of money towards the end of term. She only took 2 mugs, 2 plates, 2 cereal and pasta bowls and 2 each of knives, forks and spoons, a couple of paring knives, a colander, 1 small and 1 medium saucepan. My logic was that in having so little, it meant she had to wash up regularly.  She also took a very cheap toilet brush (supermarket white plastic type) that could be ditched at the end of each year and replaced cheaply for the next. I made 2 fabric laundry bags and these were able to be put in the wash each time so there was always a clean bag to put the clean laundry back in. They didn't take up much space in her room either. Another handy item in addition to a clothes airer, was a multi peg 'sock' type drying hanger for leotards, tights etc that may not be able to be put in the dryer.  An overdoor multi pocket 'shoe' organiser (Amazon) was great for storing the multitude of bits and pieces that they seem to accumulate. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

DD asked, around how much do the laundry facilities cost per wash as she’s working out her budget, if anyone could advise that would be perfect either NM or MSV 🙂 

Thank you

Hi

At dwell per wash is £2-90 & dry is £1-50.

Mj 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mumofballetmaddaughter said:

In addition to an emergency medical kit and sewing kit, I made up a box of essentials such as a toilet roll, shower gel, small shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, just in case my daughter didn't have time to shop and ran out of them. I also put in a supermarket 'gift' card to be used if (when!) she ran out of money towards the end of term. She only took 2 mugs, 2 plates, 2 cereal and pasta bowls and 2 each of knives, forks and spoons, a couple of paring knives, a colander, 1 small and 1 medium saucepan. My logic was that in having so little, it meant she had to wash up regularly.  She also took a very cheap toilet brush (supermarket white plastic type) that could be ditched at the end of each year and replaced cheaply for the next. I made 2 fabric laundry bags and these were able to be put in the wash each time so there was always a clean bag to put the clean laundry back in. They didn't take up much space in her room either. Another handy item in addition to a clothes airer, was a multi peg 'sock' type drying hanger for leotards, tights etc that may not be able to be put in the dryer.  An overdoor multi pocket 'shoe' organiser (Amazon) was great for storing the multitude of bits and pieces that they seem to accumulate. 

We bought cheap ...Asda I think 4place dinner / cutlery sets & she's uses 2 of each item ....we too had the less she has the more she needs to wash up . We did leave the other 2 of each in the box ....on top of her wardrobe incase of breakages. To add the large Primark bag she took back with her to replace the washing basket has been a huge success! She says it's much easier to carry n to get through the doors etc

Mj

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

We bought cheap ...Asda I think 4place dinner / cutlery sets & she's uses 2 of each item ....we too had the less she has the more she needs to wash up . We did leave the other 2 of each in the box ....on top of her wardrobe incase of breakages. To add the large Primark bag she took back with her to replace the washing basket has been a huge success! She says it's much easier to carry n to get through the doors etc

Mj

I think I learnt from our mistake when we dropped elder daughter off at her uni flat (8 bed) in halls, her and her flatmates had enough crockery, cutlery, pots, pans and kitchen equipment to start a small restaurant. After seeing the very limited kitchen cupboard space, the saying 'a quart into a pint pot' sprung to mind and a lot of it came home with us again!

• Like 1

On 13/01/2022 at 00:58, Ballet-taxi said:

@Hairpinseverywhere my DD has also been offered a place and would be keen to be in accommodation with others. 

It would be good to get feedback from other dance  parents who have had their children at NBS and in the accommodation. 

Well done to your DD. 👏

@Ballet-taxi and @HairpinseverywhereCongratulations to your DDs - that's fantastic! Please could you advise us on what they needed to do in the audition? Or more specifically do they have to sing? DS would really like to audition there but rather intimidated by the mention of singing on the course as he is probably a candidate for the worst singer out there! 😂 Have told him I'll try to find out through the magic mum network as he's determined I shouldn't call the school and ask them in case that shatters his chances... and of course he's 16 so he knows best!

2 minutes ago, mum5678 said:

@Ballet-taxi and @HairpinseverywhereCongratulations to your DDs - that's fantastic! Please could you advise us on what they needed to do in the audition? Or more specifically do they have to sing? DS would really like to audition there but rather intimidated by the mention of singing on the course as he is probably a candidate for the worst singer out there! 😂 Have told him I'll try to find out through the magic mum network as he's determined I shouldn't call the school and ask them in case that shatters his chances... and of course he's 16 so he knows best!

Oh Good Luck to your DS! DD didn’t sing at the audition, Dance solo only no song or monologue. There was a mix of contemporary, jazz and ballet solos on her audition day.

Hope this helps.

53 minutes ago, mum5678 said:

Hello Mum5678 and welcome to the Forum!

On 13/01/2022 at 00:58, Ballet-taxi said:

Well done to your DD. 👏

We have booked to view early Feb, 44weeks at Dwell MSV with en-suite is very similar price to the 51week option at New Medlock with non en-suite so wanting to weigh up if the smaller space is worth it for the en-suite perk! Will let you know what we find!

4 hours ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

Oh Good Luck to your DS! DD didn’t sing at the audition, Dance solo only no song or monologue. There was a mix of contemporary, jazz and ballet solos on her audition day.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! That's really helpful (and good news!) 🙂

Hi mum5678,

Funny you should ask about singing....my daughter is a first year & just this week they had to sing solo ( approx a minute verse & chorus ) for the first time in front of fellow students & they are just into the 2nd term. I think they were all dreading it ( I know my daughter was it's probably her least favourite thing to do !! ), but I suppose it had to be done . So please don't let him worry it's not like it's a lesson everyday. I wish him luck in his audition !

Mj

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hairpinseverywhere said:

We have booked to view early Feb, 44weeks at Dwell MSV with en-suite is very similar price to the 51week option at New Medlock with non en-suite so wanting to weigh up if the smaller space is worth it for the en-suite perk! Will let you know what we find!

The 44 weeks is what my daughter will be doing next year ( all booked already in a 4 bedroomed flat ). 

We have a 48 wk contract in a non ensuite this year ....but this was due to having 12 days to sort accomodation so we really had to take what was available! It's worked out really well as there are only 2 of them in the 4 bedroom flat so no struggles for shower times or kitchen space. I think it would have been if there were 4 of them sharing. She likes being in dwell & has had no problems ...obviously or she wouldn't want to stay. The students are dotted around a very small area around NBS & often are in & out of others flats / studios so being in different buildings has not stopped then from forming friendships. Even those who commute sometimes stay over. I'm sure you will soon find out which is right for your dd.

Mj

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Hi mum5678,

Funny you should ask about singing....my daughter is a first year & just this week they had to sing solo ( approx a minute verse & chorus ) for the first time in front of fellow students & they are just into the 2nd term. I think they were all dreading it ( I know my daughter was it's probably her least favourite thing to do !! ), but I suppose it had to be done . So please don't let him worry it's not like it's a lesson everyday. I wish him luck in his audition !

Mj

Ditto to all this. My daughter, also (so far) a non-singer, said the teacher and the other students were kind and supportive.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mjdb said:

The 44 weeks is what my daughter will be doing next year ( all booked already in a 4 bedroomed flat ). 

We have a 48 wk contract in a non ensuite this year ....but this was due to having 12 days to sort accomodation so we really had to take what was available! It's worked out really well as there are only 2 of them in the 4 bedroom flat so no struggles for shower times or kitchen space. I think it would have been if there were 4 of them sharing. She likes being in dwell & has had no problems ...obviously or she wouldn't want to stay. The students are dotted around a very small area around NBS & often are in & out of others flats / studios so being in different buildings has not stopped then from forming friendships. Even those who commute sometimes stay over. I'm sure you will soon find out which is right for your dd.

Mj

Oh yes. I remember those days, never too old for a sleepover. Got to a point where some (commuter) students would leave a spare toothbrush and even clothes in the flat where they stayed over most frequently ☺️ 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2022 at 11:49, Hairpinseverywhere said:

DD asked, around how much do the laundry facilities cost per wash as she’s working out her budget, if anyone could advise that would be perfect either NM or MSV 🙂 

Thank you

Remembered to check with my daughter - at NM, wash is £3.10, dry £1.70. Big machines though, so they save a lot up for a wash. Also tend to dry most clothes around the flat to save money.

Hello all,

Can anyone give advice on what sort of thing auditionees tend to do for their solo for NBS? (Sorry I know NOTHING about all this!) We have an audition coming up soon and a few options but not sure what to choose.

DS had a ballet variation from his last exam that he LOVED and he'd quite like to do that, but not sure if that's a bit too safe or if they've seen them all before. He also has a contemporary ballet piece that he's considering, but given that the course splits into Jazz and ballet we weren't sure if this was appropriate... would anybody be happy to share what kind of thing their DC did? Or have any thoughts on what sort off thing he should shouldn't go for? I know lots of people use festival pieces but we've never really gone down that route so feeling a bit lost for options! 

Thank you! 

1 minute ago, mum5678 said:

Hello all,

Can anyone give advice on what sort of thing auditionees tend to do for their solo for NBS? (Sorry I know NOTHING about all this!) We have an audition coming up soon and a few options but not sure what to choose.

DS had a ballet variation from his last exam that he LOVED and he'd quite like to do that, but not sure if that's a bit too safe or if they've seen them all before. He also has a contemporary ballet piece that he's considering, but given that the course splits into Jazz and ballet we weren't sure if this was appropriate... would anybody be happy to share what kind of thing their DC did? Or have any thoughts on what sort off thing he should shouldn't go for? I know lots of people use festival pieces but we've never really gone down that route so feeling a bit lost for options! 

Thank you! 

Hi ,

My dd had to do her audition all by video....mad world at the time!

I will send your questions to her, she shares with a 1st year male so maybe get his input too.

Mj

4 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi ,

My dd had to do her audition all by video....mad world at the time!

I will send your questions to her, she shares with a 1st year male so maybe get his input too.

Mj

Thank you so much, that's really helpful! :)