Hammond school audition solo

Ballet Power

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the solo for the Hammond audition? As they do a ballet and modern class as part of the audition,  would it be better to do a solo in a different style? My dd doesn’t have have a solo as doesn’t do festivals so not sure what to do! I’ve spoken to her teacher. 

My dd used 1 min of her ballet solo. However, they just want to see your child dance so anything is fine.....a syllabus dance or her own choreography would be fine. Good luck! My dd loves it there and they made her audition experience so lovely.

• Like 1

Just a word of warning, my DS had choreographed his own solo, he was 10, and although he felt comfortable in it he said some of the others had been choreographed and rehearsed by their teachers for weeks leading up to it. Worth bearing in mind. DS said if he were doing it again he’d get someone else to choreograph it for him, and practise, practise, practise!!!! 👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Just a word of warning, my DS had choreographed his own solo, he was 10, and although he felt comfortable in it he said some of the others had been choreographed and rehearsed by their teachers for weeks leading up to it. Worth bearing in mind. DS said if he were doing it again he’d get someone else to choreograph it for him, and practise, practise, practise!!!! 👍👍

In all honesty we did the same, my DD’s dance teacher choreographed it and they worked on it together for quite some time.. I think this is often the norm, as is having a singing teacher for that aspect too.. However my DD did not have singing lessons so  pulled together a musical theatre act from Matilda.. The best advice she said she received though was from another student on audition day, who just said be bubbly & show you love performing, that’s what they like… She is now in yr8… good luck 🤞 

• Like 1

My DD (now in year 10 and still loving it) did a festival ballet solo which tbh she'd almost grown out of technique-wise, but I was advised for her to use it as she could really 'perform' on the day as she knew it so well. As Betty's mum said, Hammond really look at the performance side of things.

Re the singing, DD practised this by herself at home a few times, but they are really not expecting a polished vocal performance, i think they can tell potential from quite brief vocals. Lots of DD's friends got MDS who can't sing!

Edited by margarite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsMoo2 said:

My dd choreographed her own as well...we don't do festivals and she had never been taught a solo! It was a lyrical style dance....she ended up getting in. I don't think it was perfect by any means...but it meant something to her and she could perform it with feeling so it was obviously enough. X 

• Like 1

Dd choreographed her own based on stuff she’d done in her contemporary CAT classes, to be honest she just winged it. Same with the song, she just practised it a couple of times at home. They just want to see the children perform, so as long as they seem to be loving what they’re doing it’ll be fine. 

• Like 1