Classical ballet training Tring

Motomum

Schools tend to use their “affiliation” with certain companies as a way of attracting students. But if you actually research how many students are offered contracts you can count them on one hand 😞 Don’t be taken in by the glossy magazine. 

I follow Tring on social media, don’t know why really 🤣 but a couple of weeks ago they posted a congratulations to a graduate student who had completed their performing arts course and A levels and had secured a place at University to study I think it was Geography. I was very impressed by this. It’s the first time I’ve seen a school say well done to a student who seeks another path. They appear, correct me if I’m wrong, to celebrate all their graduates, even if they choose another career, not miss them off the list as I’ve seen others sadly do 😢 I’m my opinion, that means a lot x

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Clara67 said:

On the BRB website it says that Tyrone Singleton trained at Tring and The Royal Ballet School - so presumably not Tring upper school?

I'M SHOUTING - HE GRADUATED FROM TRING UPPER SCHOOL.  He told us that when he joined the company.  I wouldn't have bothered saying it otherwise.  I am well aware the students can go to several schools but he came to the company from Tring.

• Like 4

Tyrone Singleton was definitely at Tring until graduation, at the same time as a girl who was at DD’s dance school. I don’t know whether he previously attended RBS itself or whether he was an associate there - I have seen many references to attendance at RBS when in fact it is an RBS associate scheme rather than the actual school. But he certainly graduated from Tring. 

• Like 4

I think if your child is academic, Tring 6th form is an excellent option these days, especially if you’re not reliant on MDS/DaDa funding (because Tring has fewer funded places than RBS and Elmhurst and does not attract student finance like Central etc). 

I do know of people who have gone straight from Tring into classical companies and also those who have gone from Tring into RBS Upper School (incidentally the only school which pretty much guarantees a job in a ballet company for those graduating 3rd year, which is *not* necessarily those who started in 6.1).  As with all the other upper schools, more dancers will graduate from Tring than there are jobs for, but the versatility of the dancers and the excellent academic department mean there are more options for employment or even university than at some other schools.  

Since the former Director of Dance left, I’m not sure whether it’s still the Director’s decision whether a student goes onto the Classical stream or stays on the general Dance stream but that would be a good question to ask the school.

Bear in mind that graduate employment from all the upper schools except RB will undoubtedly be much lower for 2020 as Covid forced companies to put a freeze on recruitment.   Don’t forget though, graduate employment is only a piece of the puzzle; how happy are the students, what’s the quality of the training, are the dance teachers qualified, what are the chances of making t from 6.1 to graduation without being assessed out, is there a high injury rate, is academic backup available, how is the pastoral care, and so on.  

Employment is the destination but the journey is equally as important.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'M SHOUTING - HE GRADUATED FROM TRING UPPER SCHOOL.  He told us that when he joined the company.  I wouldn't have bothered saying it otherwise.  I am well aware the students can go to several schools but he came to the company from Tring.

I think shouting is a bit unnecessary! - the fact that the BRB website refers to Tring and RBS, in that order, led me to assume that one came before the other, when perhaps it was the other way round. I have nothing against Tring - it seems a lovely school and we considered it very seriously for our DC. I am just trying to gain actual statistics about the upper school  - rather than the suggestion that lots of graduates end up in classical companies, which I think is possibly not accurate.

In our experience I think that all the upper schools can turn out students that are very talented classical ballet dancers but unlike RBS they don’t have the name behind them to get them into the audition room or the connections that RBS’s AD/ballet staff have with companies. A lot of students are out there job hunting on their own 😢 They can be just as good but won’t get considered or get that break because of the school on their cv. There is a huge world or difference between men and women too. Some may disagree but this is our experience. 

• Like 6

Just to add that my husband went to a secondary modern school and played rugby at colts level for a premiership rugby club and he was the exception in among the grammar school boys. Both our sons went for rugby trials for Cornwall after training at the academy but the selected boys for the team were mostly from the private school in Truro. There was the odd exceptionally talented child from the comprehensive that slipped in but this was a rarity. 
I feel that Tyrone Singleton is one of them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Legseleven said:

I don’t know whether he previously attended RBS itself or whether he was an associate there - I have seen many references to attendance at RBS when in fact it is an RBS associate scheme rather than the actual school.

This is actually quite common, because after observing what happens at a number of auditions, dancers from other schools often form an impression (correctly or incorrectly) that the RBS name gets you into the room, or gets you offered a job.

Not endorsing this approach, just commenting on what I have seen. 

Edited by Pirouette
To add last sentence.

31 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

In our experience I think that all the upper schools can turn out students that are very talented classical ballet dancers but unlike RBS they don’t have the name behind them to get them into the audition room or the connections that RBS’s AD/ballet staff have with companies. A lot of students are out there job hunting on their own 😢 They can be just as good but won’t get considered or get that break because of the school on their cv. There is a huge world or difference between men and women too. Some may disagree but this is our experience. 

Agree with all of this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clara67 said:

I think shouting is a bit unnecessary! - the fact that the BRB website refers to Tring and RBS, in that order, led me to assume that one came before the other, when perhaps it was the other way round. I have nothing against Tring - it seems a lovely school and we considered it very seriously for our DC. I am just trying to gain actual statistics about the upper school  - rather than the suggestion that lots of graduates end up in classical companies, which I think is possibly not accurate.

Well, Tyrone Singleton told the Friends' reception when he first joined BRB that he had come from Tring. (He actually joined BRB a year early because David Bintley invited him.)  Carrie Johnson, who was also in his cohort, joined a year later from Tring.

I had said several times that this was the case.

• Like 2

From conversations we have had with recent pupils there is not currently a Classical versus Dance stream in any years including 6th Form.  However our understanding from speaking to the school last year is that they are looking to have more of a focus on classical ballet although it was not clear how they planned to achieve this.  I have recently been told that one of the Directors of Dance has a good number of contacts and has been getting pupils auditions with companies throughout Europe.

Tring is very much on our list of upper schools with ballet focus on both the dance and academic fronts.

Edited by Dance.Mum
Added to content
  • Like 2

I think I’m repeating myself but my DS graduated from Tring ( he had been there since year 9 ) straight into a guest contract , which became permanent after 3 months .

The company is a classical company in Europe .

I am certain that the excellent contemporary training at Tring played a huge part in his gaining a place .

2 of his fellow Tring friends were also given places in the same company , although one has since left .

They were also  gifted at contemporary as well as classical .
One of the directors of dance at Tring has very good contacts , as well as being a superb teacher .

A wide selection of A levels is available , my DS gained Maths and Physics . A friend of his gained excellent A level results and went on to study medicine .

I am more than happy for anyone to pm me for information.

I have a former student ( girl ) who recently graduated , and another in year 8.

Edited by tutugirl
  • Like 6

I just want to say Thank-you to everyone who has replied. Your comments have been really illuminating and extremely helpful.

My child is starting in a Y8 place they have had offers from other vocational schools previously but weren’t ready for boarding. Still might not be.

The Tring application came as a bit of a curveball through the wonderful CBA and Desi Samaii, where my child had just started this January. A sort of surprise application.

We hadn’t applied anywhere else, and then when the offer came we knew nothing really about the school, but accepted anyway.

My child gave up many of their other dance classes to pursue ballet as finances just didn’t allow for a wider dance base. They are excited that Tring offers, tap, contemporary and modern alongside classical ballet, plus acting and singing.

Very nervous still about boarding though. 
We shall see how it goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thank-you again everybody.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Desi is one of my all time favourite lady dancers from her years with Northern Ballet.  She lit up the stage every time she walked on and breathed.  She's a very lovely lady too.

She’s an absolutely wonderful teacher; my dd adored her classes.  @Motomum many congratulations to your dc; I hope they thrive at Tring. 

• Like 4

The impression that I gained over the years is ...if the student has the ability and they are in the right school for them then they will excel.

I know of students who gained places in 'top schools' but the environment wasn't right for them for one reason or another.  When they moved to a different school, maybe not one of the top 3 or 4 in the ratings, they were happy, they excelled,  and went on to successful careers in classical ballet.

It really is more about the right school for the student. 

• Like 4

On 31/05/2021 at 13:27, Clara67 said:

Thank you. My DC is already at a vocational lower school - I’m just thinking ahead! Tring would be one to consider for upper school because of the A’ levels offered, as my child is very academic - it just seems that those who have had a classical career having been at Tring have only been there for some or all of their lower school training. Does anyone know of anybody gaining a classical contract after training at Tring upper school?

Hello - my dd went to Tring upper school after non vocational training up to that point and gained a  classical contract when she graduated in Europe and has been there 5 years now .

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lildancer96 said:

Hello - my dd went to Tring upper school after non vocational training up to that point and gained a  classical contract when she graduated in Europe and has been there 5 years now .

That’s lovely to hear. Thank you.

On 02/06/2021 at 07:48, Anna C said:

She’s an absolutely wonderful teacher; my dd adored her classes.  @Motomum many congratulations to your dc; I hope they thrive at Tring. 

Desi Samii is both an inspirational teacher and person. Just a treat to find teachers like her who truly care. 

From personal experience, both as a parent and teacher who has experience of several vocational schools, Tring has a special vibe. 

It’s the balance between the TA’s ( theatre arts students) and the Dance course students. The TA’s bring an energy and vitality which feeds the dance students and  vice versa. It brings a balance of fun and friendly but serious competitive spirit.

This energy is sadly missing in some vocational schools, where the discipline and narrow focus has suppressed the joy and natural bubbliness of dancing.

This energy is truly magnificent and builds confidence in whatever genre you are suited for, INCLUDING CLASSICAL!  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, valentina said:

Desi Samii is both an inspirational teacher and person. Just a treat to find teachers like her who truly care. 

From personal experience, both as a parent and teacher who has experience of several vocational schools, Tring has a special vibe. 

It’s the balance between the TA’s ( theatre arts students) and the Dance course students. The TA’s bring an energy and vitality which feeds the dance students and  vice versa. It brings a balance of fun and friendly but serious competitive spirit.

This energy is sadly missing in some vocational schools, where the discipline and narrow focus has suppressed the joy and natural bubbliness of dancing.

This energy is truly magnificent and builds confidence in whatever genre you are suited for, INCLUDING CLASSICAL!  

This is what Ds and I felt on our visits too ☺️