Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2021

Dancers Dad

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/04/2021 at 21:31, Dancers Dad said:

I don't mind at all! We're doing Weds 5 May and having a quick look at New Medlock that day too. Probably have a bit of  a potter round the area and get a feel for it as well. Another of those 'blimey, this is really happening' days I think.

Hi. Hope today has turned out to be both productive & enjoyable. ☺️🙆‍♀️🐝

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi. Hope today has turned out to be both productive & enjoyable. ☺️🙆‍♀️🐝

Thank you very much, it was. We're not long back. Really glad we did it and were able to see everything in the flesh for the first time. My daughter is even more excited to go now!

I know others on the forum have their own visits planned so I don't want to just post a list of what I learnt in case you want to ask for yourselves - but I'm happy to do so if it would be useful? I did ask a few questions.

On 04/05/2021 at 10:39, DancingShoes said:

I believe there's talk of the uniform changing for next year so I wouldn't do anything on that front yet! X

Morning. Just received a message from my DD. There’s definitely going to be new leotards for this September. The rest of the uniform is by all accounts staying the same, the tracksuits were a brand new design last September ☺️

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

Morning. Just received a message from my DD. There’s definitely going to be new leotards for this September. The rest of the uniform is by all accounts staying the same, the tracksuits were a brand new design last September ☺️

Thank God they're not changing the tracksuits - I'd have had to sell a kidney 😂😂

3 hours ago, DancingShoes said:

Thank God they're not changing the tracksuits - I'd have had to sell a kidney 😂😂

Ha ha. Love it.

The uniform was the easy part (leotards are still going strong 3yrs on) however it’s the shoe budget that’s gone out the window. Pointe shoes were my main concern. Eerrr nope. Turns out that was the least of my worries,  3 pairs of La Duca shoes (black heels/nude heels and heeled taps) & then replacement Bloch black taps. Since Sept🤑🤑🤑. Girls do love their shoes 🤣

Easyjet just love my DD, she was 3kg over in just one suitcase, at her last checkin. 🤯

38 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Ha ha. Love it.

The uniform was the easy part (leotards are still going strong 3yrs on) however it’s the shoe budget that’s gone out the window. Pointe shoes were my main concern. Eerrr nope. Turns out that was the least of my worries,  3 pairs of La Duca shoes (black heels/nude heels and heeled taps) & then replacement Bloch black taps. Since Sept🤑🤑🤑. Girls do love their shoes 🤣

Easyjet just love my DD, she was 3kg over in just one suitcase, at her last checkin. 🤯

Oh my goodness! Just looked at the price of La Duca shoes & nearly fell off my chair!
Are these compulsory or are other makes permitted? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

Oh my goodness! Just looked at the price of La Duca shoes & nearly fell off my chair!
Are these compulsory or are other makes permitted? 

Ha ha, Don’t worry. The make aren’t compulsory but definitely the shoes of choice for quite a few of the 3rd yrs. 😉

My DD’s addiction started as a result of my moment of madness for her 18th Birthday present 🤣

Correct colour and heel height (where appropriate) is what matters for all footwear. The Make is up to the individual pupil, so please don’t worry. 

8 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Ha ha, Don’t worry. The make aren’t compulsory but definitely the shoes of choice for quite a few of the 3rd yrs. 😉

My DD’s addiction started as a result of my moment of madness for her 18th Birthday present 🤣

Correct colour and heel height (where appropriate) is what matters for all footwear. The Make is up to the individual pupil, so please don’t worry. 

That’s a relief! They do look lovely though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Beautifully soft, incredibly comfortable and delight to dance in by all accounts.☺️ 

So important to have comfortable shoes for dancing so probably worth paying extra. Just waiting for our kit list for September then we will see what we need to buy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

So important to have comfortable shoes for dancing so probably worth paying extra. Just waiting for our kit list for September then we will see what we need to buy. 

Exciting times ahead. Receiving the uniform list is when everything begins to feel so real. ☺️

On 03/05/2021 at 12:17, Twinkle said:

We've booked in for a tour of NBS and Medlock on 19th May - all very exciting! However, no DaDA news as yet. If not offered a DaDA does anyone know when further details of enrolment will be sent out e.g uniform etc? Feeling a little in limbo at the moment!

Hope all goes well for you. tomorrow. 
Uniform lists tended to be sent out near to the end of the summer term. But as the school changed ownership last summer you could find that the new administration conduct things a little differently to those in the past. Definitely worth asking the question during your visit. You certainly won’t be the only one wanting to know. 😉

14 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hope all goes well for you. tomorrow. 
Uniform lists tended to be sent out near to the end of the summer term. But as the school changed ownership last summer you could find that the new administration conduct things a little differently to those in the past. Definitely worth asking the question during your visit. You certainly won’t be the only one wanting to know. 😉

They said 'in a few weeks' when we visited, which doesn't narrow it down much obviously! Grey leotards instead of burgundy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

They said 'in a few weeks' when we visited, which doesn't narrow it down much obviously! Grey leotards instead of burgundy.

Oh. That is a complete change. The colour has been the same for years just a tweak on style. I remember they were from one particular supplier online so possibly waiting confirmation that the new leotards are in stock. Just hazarding a guess. 🤞🏼
If memory serves me correctly (it’s been a while😉) they were £25 each. Still looking good even after students washing and tumble drying them over the years. 😂

• Like 1

I think uniform lists may be sent out in June sometime, I think they are just finalising everything. The new grey leotards look amazing, they are from a British company with a great eco friendly ethos. They are already listed as NBS uniform on their website and are around £35. When uniform list arrives  there should  be a link that takes you straight to the company to place an order

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone all your help and advice. I cant believe how lucky we feel NBS has been a dream for us all as we didnt want our daughter to leave at 16  so to get such an amazing offer that allows her to live at home for a couple more years is a relief. 

We are visiting next week for a tour although we are familiar with the building from previous dance. For those who have visited did you children dress smartly? I'm still on make a good impression but shes saying Jean's are fine and I'm old fashioned.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Balletmum74 said:

Thank you to everyone all your help and advice. I cant believe how lucky we feel NBS has been a dream for us all as we didnt want our daughter to leave at 16  so to get such an amazing offer that allows her to live at home for a couple more years is a relief. 

We are visiting next week for a tour although we are familiar with the building from previous dance. For those who have visited did you children dress smartly? I'm still on make a good impression but shes saying Jean's are fine and I'm old fashioned.

Mine was in the uniform she wears 99% of the time (if not wearing a leotard) - sports leggings, trainers, hoodie!

18 hours ago, Balletmum74 said:

Hi, 

My daughter wore jeans. Think they just need to be comfortable. Miss Gray was very nice, the tour was informal & laid back. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi, 

My daughter wore jeans. Think they just need to be comfortable. Miss Gray was very nice, the tour was informal & laid back. 

Miss Gray is loved & well respected by all the pupils. Easily to contact and very approachable should any pupil or parent have any questions or concerns. She carries the title of Deputy but to the pupils she is their unofficial Principal. Remaining in situ since the the school became part of the BIMMGroup last summer when a new Principal was brought in to oversee NBS & ICTheatre at The Dance House. You are definitely in safe hands with Miss Gray.  ☺️

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Balletmum74 said:

My daughter doing both events and joined the group. We had a lovely tour last week and shes just so excited to start. Shes 16 but will be commuting from home. Great practice run for her.

Great. My daughter also doing both events. Also 16! (But living in student accommodation.) Just chewing over joining FB...

Yes I understand this it's a strange world we live in you have to be so careful.  I feel like it will be well monitored. If you want my daughters number for your daughter to WhatsApp message  please just message shes a lovely friendly girl.

27 minutes ago, Balletmum74 said:

Yes I understand this it's a strange world we live in you have to be so careful.  I feel like it will be well monitored. If you want my daughters number for your daughter to WhatsApp message  please just message shes a lovely friendly girl.

That's kind, thank you. I'll have a word with her. Her younger sister persuaded her to join WhatsApp recently so they can be in close contact when she goes away, so she's ok with WhatsApp.

It's just that we both agree that her avoiding all SM until now has undoubtedly been great for her work, dancing, outlook and MH, so it's a big step to join it now.

6 minutes ago, DancingShoes said:

Just for info, they get a lot of info  from the Facebook group. It's used like a noticeboard, timetables, rehearsal schedules etc.

My dd doesn't do Facebook but uses it for the NBS group 

Thanks - useful to know. Will probably do that then.

Congratulations @Dancers Dad on getting this far without social media!

I think it is very likely that once your dd moves to Manchester she will start to use social media of her own accord...so perhaps better to get her used to using it now while you still have her at home and can keep an eye.

I would encourage her to become friends with you, as many relatives as possible, and any grown up friends you/she may have who use facebook.  That way there is a whole network of people keeping an eye on her.

In the past I have picked up 'crisis' moments with some of my friends' children.  Sometimes you can help with just a simple personal message (the young friend who had got of the plane on her first business trip to US to a message that her best friend had died ...she just needed someone to chat to until she could get hold of her Mum).  Sometimes advise (block that looser who was being mean to her on facebook and report the posts).  And on one occasion, contacted Mum because I was really worried. 

• Like 4

On 04/06/2021 at 18:44, glowlight said:

Congratulations @Dancers Dad on getting this far without social media!

I think it is very likely that once your dd moves to Manchester she will start to use social media of her own accord...so perhaps better to get her used to using it now while you still have her at home and can keep an eye.

I would encourage her to become friends with you, as many relatives as possible, and any grown up friends you/she may have who use facebook.  That way there is a whole network of people keeping an eye on her.

In the past I have picked up 'crisis' moments with some of my friends' children.  Sometimes you can help with just a simple personal message (the young friend who had got of the plane on her first business trip to US to a message that her best friend had died ...she just needed someone to chat to until she could get hold of her Mum).  Sometimes advise (block that looser who was being mean to her on facebook and report the posts).  And on one occasion, contacted Mum because I was really worried. 

Thank you!

Yes, we're going to have a chat about it today. It feels important to be part of the FB group, so I think she'll do that. Thanks for the tips. 

• Like 1