Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2021

Dancers Dad

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

A message from my DD for all of those looking at Medlock. 

There are two more ‘Halls’ that have just been acquired by Unite even closer to NBS. If that was at all possible.   

Bridgewater Heights. Formerly Liberty Heights. And the brand new build ‘Artisan Heights’. 
There are some NBS pupils already booked in. They are apparently marginally more expensive than Medlock but they are newer so it’s swings and roundabouts 

My DD is first year staying at New Medlock. From next Sept her group of 5 are moving to Unite Mill Point for approximately the same cost.  Its more modern, near Piccadilly station and a 10 min walk to NBS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mjdb said:

Hmm yep your correct I hadn't done the maths. OK so in that case doing the 51 weeks seems s better deal?....

Holiday home for 7 weeks! Lol 

When my dd lived in Medlock many years ago we were glad that we chose the 51 week option - it meant she had option to stay in Manchester for work during the holidays if she wanted to, and didn't have to move everything out at the end of the year.  In the end she stayed in the same room in the same flat for 3 years

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulc said:

My DD is first year staying at New Medlock. From next Sept her group of 5 are moving to Unite Mill Point for approximately the same cost.  Its more modern, near Piccadilly station and a 10 min walk to NBS.

I had looked at this but was unsure of the distance & not knowing if others from NBS would be there. 

3 hours ago, glowlight said:

When my dd lived in Medlock many years ago we were glad that we chose the 51 week option - it meant she had option to stay in Manchester for work during the holidays if she wanted to, and didn't have to move everything out at the end of the year.  In the end she stayed in the same room in the same flat for 3 years

We did the same glowlight and were so glad that we did. Daughter kept the same room at Medlock for the duration of the 3 years and it made life much easier not having to move all of her stuff out each year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Gulp!! 

The rents at those..... Anyone want to buy a kidney! Lol 

Oh bless you. 
Just keep reminding yourself (as many times as required) of all the money you’ve saved in time/fuel and studio fees when they were at home. 🤣 Just don’t think too much about what you were going to do with those savings🤣
Coming from an area with eye watering property prices I am probably one of the minority that actually thinks Halls are reasonably priced. (Can’t believe I said that!! Lol). 

Too offset the rent they can do their weekly shop at Aldi or Lidl. There’s also a large Asda but thats further away requiring return transport when laden down with shopping. They soon develop quite thrifty shopping skills incl taking a packed lunch. Then except for laundry their cost of living is relatively low (especially when it’s coming out of their pocket) they ain’t daft😉 😂

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Oh bless you. 
Just keep reminding yourself (as many times as required) of all the money you’ve saved in time/fuel and studio fees when they were at home. 🤣 Just don’t think too much about what you were going to do with those savings🤣
Coming from an area with eye watering property prices I am probably one of the minority that actually thinks Halls are reasonably priced. (Can’t believe I said that!! Lol). 

Too offset the rent they can do their weekly shop at Aldi or Lidl. There’s also a large Asda but thats further away requiring return transport when laden down with shopping. They soon develop quite thrifty shopping skills incl taking a packed lunch. Then except for laundry their cost of living is relatively low (especially when it’s coming out of their pocket) they ain’t daft😉 😂

I think my plan is to phone tomorrow, see what's available, see what T&Cs are...... Then rob a bank!!! 🤣🤣.

All this research / calculations / stress & don't know what will happen about Dada offers yet  🤑

Ohh the joys. I'm glad she's my youngest & won't have to be doing this again!! 

9 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

I think my plan is to phone tomorrow, see what's available, see what T&Cs are...... Then rob a bank!!! 🤣🤣.

All this research / calculations / stress & don't know what will happen about Dada offers yet  🤑

Ohh the joys. I'm glad she's my youngest & won't have to be doing this again!! 

Oh good luck on that one😉
I have one more at home who is currently in yr12 so researching unis!! 🤑🤑 

Just a quick update. I phoned New Medlock House today this is what I found out ; up to 8 non en-suite flats = 2 shared bathrooms, up to 4 non en-suite flats = 1 shared bathroom. There is a deposit of £250 but this is returned free if you cancel before May 31st. Flats are going fast but updates are made regularly. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Just a quick update. I phoned New Medlock House today this is what I found out ; up to 8 non en-suite flats = 2 shared bathrooms, up to 4 non en-suite flats = 1 shared bathroom. There is a deposit of £250 but this is returned free if you cancel before May 31st. Flats are going fast but updates are made regularly. 

Oh,  not that it affects us this year but I honestly thought for an 8 bed flat there would be more than just 2 bathrooms. Good news about the returnable deposit though. 
Just to add:- For those considering the larger flats.  I know they provide 2 x Fridge/Freezers for those of 6beds & over but worth checking on the ovens.  Parkway kitchens only have one! 

Edited by balletbean

First time posting. My dd has been offered a place for NBS too & we are awaiting information regarding dada funding. Those of you whose dds are already at NBS do you recall when the application forms were sent out? 
Dd has been allocated a room at Medlock House but we’ve been told she will be sharing with three girls older than her. She is already 18 so presume these other girls are 2nd or 3rd years. The fifth room hasn’t been allocated yet but hopefully will be allocated to a first year as she’s not really keen on sharing with girls that already know each other as she feels it will be difficult to join in an established group. She really wants to share with other first years. The dilemma is whether to stick with Medlock & hope a first year takes the fifth room or move to Mill Point & hopefully be with other first years. Hope that makes sense!

13 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

First time posting. My dd has been offered a place for NBS too & we are awaiting information regarding dada funding. Those of you whose dds are already at NBS do you recall when the application forms were sent out? 
Dd has been allocated a room at Medlock House but we’ve been told she will be sharing with three girls older than her. She is already 18 so presume these other girls are 2nd or 3rd years. The fifth room hasn’t been allocated yet but hopefully will be allocated to a first year as she’s not really keen on sharing with girls that already know each other as she feels it will be difficult to join in an established group. She really wants to share with other first years. The dilemma is whether to stick with Medlock & hope a first year takes the fifth room or move to Mill Point & hopefully be with other first years. Hope that makes sense!

Hi & welcome SusieQ, 

As maybe you have seen my dd has been offered a place too. Today we have started the booking process at Medlock House, with Eszter for an en-suite flat I was told she would be with other NBS students but don't know what ages or what school year. I do plan to speak to her again tomorrow, maybe she will be able to give me this info. We too are waiting to hear about dada funding. 

Thank you Mjdb. I spoke to Eszter last week & she wasn’t able to tell me what year  my dd would be sharing with but today when she sent confirmation said the girls were older. It’s a shame that there isn’t someone who can coordinate bookings for first years so they can all be together. If they are all in different accommodation it will be much harder for them to get to know each other as there won’t be much opportunity during the day. 

This was part of the email I got sent earlier..... 'We don't have any designated rooms for Northern Ballet School, as they don't have an agreement with us, however I have blocked two flats for NBS students, and we try to fill these flats with these students, because we all know how important is to be with people from the same course and same age.'........ maybe they are close together in blocks? & are able to social with other groups of flats. I will see what Eszter says tomorrow hopefully get to speak to her as I couldn't get an answer today. 

21 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

This was part of the email I got sent earlier..... 'We don't have any designated rooms for Northern Ballet School, as they don't have an agreement with us, however I have blocked two flats for NBS students, and we try to fill these flats with these students, because we all know how important is to be with people from the same course and same age.'........ maybe they are close together in blocks? & are able to social with other groups of flats. I will see what Eszter says tomorrow hopefully get to speak to her as I couldn't get an answer today. 

Will be interesting to hear what she says. I must admit Eszter has been very helpful.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

That does sound very promising. Maybe worth asking (if you haven’t already) what size the flats are that are being blocked off?  
I don’t know if it helps much but the mornings tend to be the best time to make contact with someone in the office or reception due to parcel/post deliveries. Well that’s from personal experience. Good luck for tomorrow. 🤞🏼

Edited by balletbean

2 hours ago, SusieQ said:

We received confirmation first week of May.

I wouldn't worry too much about your dd being in a flat with older NBS students.  As a small school they tend to mix a lot with those from other year groups in any case.  The older ones will help to show the younger ones the ropes.

Also with NBS you can't assume that older necessarily means they are 2nd and 3rd years.  When DD started they were all 1st years in her flat - she was 16, 2 18 year olds, 1 19 year old and one who was 25.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, glowlight said:

I wouldn't worry too much about your dd being in a flat with older NBS students.  As a small school they tend to mix a lot with those from other year groups in any case.  The older ones will help to show the younger ones the ropes.

Also with NBS you can't assume that older necessarily means they are 2nd and 3rd years.  When DD started they were all 1st years in her flat - she was 16, 2 18 year olds, 1 19 year old and one who was 25.

I agree with the mix of ages, there is quite a wide range in my dd's year too.

Due to the covid situation they haven't had the chance to mix with the older years this year as they've been kept in their bubbles. Hopefully that will improve from September.

We had our dada offer on 1st April so it shouldn't be too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glowlight said:

Thanks glowlight. The ages don’t bother my dd as she will be 19 when she starts but good to know there is a mix of ages. 

1 hour ago, DancingShoes said:

I agree with the mix of ages, there is quite a wide range in my dd's year too.

Due to the covid situation they haven't had the chance to mix with the older years this year as they've been kept in their bubbles. Hopefully that will improve from September.

We had our dada offer on 1st April so it shouldn't be too long.

Thanks DancingShoes. Good to know you heard by 1st April. We havn’t had any paperwork to complete yet from NBS yet so guess it will take longer for us. 

27 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

Thanks DancingShoes. Good to know you heard by 1st April. We havn’t had any paperwork to complete yet from NBS yet so guess it will take longer for us. 

We haven't had any paper work yet either. In 1 of the emails it said approx the end of March all auditions should have been seen & sorted, then offers would be sent & then once accepted paper work would need to be done. It's the waiting!! Drives you mad 😵 lol.

Just about to phone Eszter. 

11 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

We haven't had any paper work yet either. In 1 of the emails it said approx the end of March all auditions should have been seen & sorted, then offers would be sent & then once accepted paper work would need to be done. It's the waiting!! Drives you mad 😵 lol.

Just about to phone Eszter. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

I've just spoken to Eszter, she said my dd is in a 4 bed flat block & doesn't know as yet who will be in the other 3 she would like to have at least another 1st year but will definitely only be NBS girls. I asked about the grouping of flats she said they are not next to one another but in the same block but a different floor. Not sure if all this is set in stone as she did say..... If she gets more requests ie; girls wanting to be with same age or the same school year she would try to jiggle them around. Hope this helps &  maybe just let it known what's preferred as she may then try to sort those requests. She seems very nice & approachable. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

I've just spoken to Eszter, she said my dd is in a 4 bed flat block & doesn't know as yet who will be in the other 3 she would like to have at least another 1st year but will definitely only be NBS girls. I asked about the grouping of flats she said they are not next to one another but in the same block but a different floor. Not sure if all this is set in stone as she did say..... If she gets more requests ie; girls wanting to be with same age or the same school year she would try to jiggle them around. Hope this helps &  maybe just let it known what's preferred as she may then try to sort those requests. She seems very nice & approachable. 

That all sounds reassuring. I was just a bit concerned that not many NBS students were going to be in Medlock this September but think they will be fine. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

That’s excellent news. Just for example Block A was about 5 floors (if my memory serves me correctly as my DD was only on the 2nd floor) with 3 flats per floor. Other blocks have slightly more floors but nothing compared to Parkway. 🏢😳
Each block has a central staircase and a generous size lift, with a sign inside that specifically requests no dancing! 😉 Wonder who that’s directed at. Lol. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, balletbean said:

That’s excellent news. Just for example Block A was about 5 floors (if my memory serves me correctly as my DD was only on the 2nd floor) with 3 flats per floor. Other blocks have slightly more floors but nothing compared to Parkway. 🏢😳
Each block has a central staircase and a generous size lift, with a sign inside that specifically requests no dancing! 😉 Wonder who that’s directed at. Lol. 

😂Love the sign saying no dancing! 
My dd has been offered a room on the fifth floor in Block B. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

😂Love the sign saying no dancing! 
My dd has been offered a room on the fifth floor in Block B. 

Makes me laugh every time I see that sign. 
That’s great news about 5th floor in Block B. Whilst 2nd floor in A was convenient we did find the traffic noise level from the main road just below her window unrelenting. 🙉

My dd is in A on the 5th floor and its not too bad. It can't be as she's staying in A next year too! Once the booking is made they can download the Unite app and connect with the others in their flat - this helped them with planning what to bring

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DancingShoes said:

My dd is in A on the 5th floor and its not too bad. It can't be as she's staying in A next year too! Once the booking is made they can download the Unite app and connect with the others in their flat - this helped them with planning what to bring

That’s good to know as dd is desperate to find out who she’s going to be sharing with.