Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2021

Dancers Dad

On 24/09/2021 at 22:32, Mjdb said:

I had heard that a few students were I'll & some not attending classes but hadn't realized they were confirmed covid cases. Lets hope it's contained quickly & doesn't disrupt the school too much !

Mj  Screenshot_2021-09-24-22-16-29-964.jpg.6db9f31e2a3f1e2959faea77ba80b582.jpg

Sorry, I was careless saying that - this is supposition, not proven Covid cases. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm getting a bit boring on this - apologies - but there have been more fire alarm evacuations, including one around midnight last night. I've been on the phone to New Medlock this morning. One thing they did say was that students/parents emailing them to complain does make a difference because it's something they can show to their managers to demonstrate the urgency of the problem. So if your child is struggling because of the constant alarms, please do take a moment to email New Medlock about it. 

1 hour ago, Dancers Dad said:

I know I'm getting a bit boring on this - apologies - but there have been more fire alarm evacuations, including one around midnight last night. I've been on the phone to New Medlock this morning. One thing they did say was that students/parents emailing them to complain does make a difference because it's something they can show to their managers to demonstrate the urgency of the problem. So if your child is struggling because of the constant alarms, please do take a moment to email New Medlock about it. 

So sorry to hear that the alarms were activated yet again. May I suggest dropping an email the Secretary at NBS so she too can spread the word to other parents that may not be on this forum. 
I do hope uS management take control of this totally intolerable situation. One day the alarms may well be needed but could be treated aa another false alarm 😔

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, balletbean said:

So sorry to hear that the alarms were activated yet again. May I suggest dropping an email the Secretary at NBS so she too can spread the word to other parents that may not be on this forum. 
I do hope uS management take control of this totally intolerable situation. One day the alarms may well be needed but could be treated aa another false alarm 😔

Thank you. Yes, I did email NBS over the weekend and have heard back that it's been shared with Miss Gray and the Head of Student Services.

Agreed, it is intolerable - not least because a number of the alarms have apparently been set off deliberately...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glowlight said:

@Dancers Dad - as another string to your bow - have you or your dd approached Unite through social media? They appear to be quite responsive on Twitter.  No guarantees that it will make a difference, but sometimes a multi pronged approach can help.

I did start to post on their FB page as I had noticed they had been quite responsive to other complainants. I think I'll just see how my latest email settles, then pick up social media if no response. 

There was another alarm earlier tonight...but interestingly it got stopped sharpish - maybe because reception staff were still actually there. Maybe they need to be 24 hour for a while...

• 5 months later...

Can't believe it's been almost a year since this thread was started! More so that our dds & dss are not so far off the end if their 1st year at NBS! 

I'm sure somewhere in the thread that storage was mentioned but had a quick read but can't find it. Maybe I'm going mad !! Do any of you have info on storage companies used in the past? 

Even though we are only 1hr 40 mins away by road --- dependent on wether the M6 is having a good day ..or not! my dd has enough stuff to fill a 4 bedroomed house! she just might need these things, I'm wondering if storage is the way to go for us? 

Any info would be greatfully received.

Thx Mj

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Can't believe it's been almost a year since this thread was started! More so that our dds & dss are not so far off the end if their 1st year at NBS! 

I'm sure somewhere in the thread that storage was mentioned but had a quick read but can't find it. Maybe I'm going mad !! Do any of you have info on storage companies used in the past? 

Even though we are only 1hr 40 mins away by road --- dependent on wether the M6 is having a good day ..or not! my dd has enough stuff to fill a 4 bedroomed house! she just might need these things, I'm wondering if storage is the way to go for us? 

Thx Mj

Hi, yes storage was mentioned. We used LoknStore on Regent Road (on the way to the M602). Very reasonable and brand new last year. Did some good deals for students and was really convenient. Pm me if you need any more info.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Thx Mj

Hi. We used SafeStore on Cheetham Hill and ‘Grey Panther’ provided the service to lift and shift the goods for us. Multiple companies offer discount deals for students many dropping flyers off at NMH. So well worth keeping an eye out for them. 
‘Grey Panther’ even collected from storage and returned all items to in-time for our return in the Sept. An absolute blessing. No running around once in Manchester. It was all there waiting for us in the living room of the flat. 
Some storage companies offer the use of their own vans at an additional cost. Safe store don’t but work closely with Grey Panther on a regular basis so felt safe for them to arrange times for collection etc. 

Best packing advice. Don’t worry about  boxes. Pain to carry and take up too much space during the actual packing/unpacking process. We used the large checkered laundry bags, bought in a pack of 10 off Amazon. Easy to store afterwards and reuse the following year. 

Good Luck. I was always surprised (shocked) at how much they accumulated each and every year 😬🙄

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A tip for anyone checking out of uS accommodation this summer.

Speak to the staff very nicely and they will lend you the use of their parcel bucket type trundle. Fits the lifts perfectly and will reduce the amount of trips back and forth to bring the stuff down.  Absolute game changer.  

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

If anyone still needs accommodation for September, my daughter and her friend have just given up their rooms at Unite Mill Point. 10 mins walk to NBS. Both rooms are ensuite 44 week contracts.