Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2021

Dancers Dad

39 minutes ago, DancingShoes said:

My dd is in A on the 5th floor and its not too bad. It can't be as she's staying in A next year too! Once the booking is made they can download the Unite app and connect with the others in their flat - this helped them with planning what to bring

After visiting friends on the 5th floor my DD mentioned how much quieter it was up there. She didn’t realise just how much a difference on the noise levels a few floors would make. Great friends and memories of her time in Medlock. ☺️

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea of which  block or floor as that info wasn't given to me but I haven't received any other communication from Eszter since our convo this morning, still waiting on more forms.... I presume! 

Maybe I'll be phoning again tomorrow! 🤔

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

I have no idea of which  block or floor as that info wasn't given to me but I haven't received any other communication from Eszter since our convo this morning, still waiting on more forms.... I presume! 

It took a few days for us to get the forms through & then received details of accommodation. Eszter did apologise for how long it had taken. She has to get permission from her manager to allocate the rooms. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mjdb said:

If you or your DD use FB, maybe worth looking up Unites page. They post on a regular basis, mainly generic hints and tips for students across the country. Anything from safety/security to shopping/cooking on a budget etc. as well as useful info about checking in closer to the time  💻📱😃

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

Have just spoken to Eszter again & the room dd has been offered is block B she said that it was on the 6th floor. Won't all be same age / school year but are all NBS students. Still waiting Dada funding, let's hope it doesn't take to much longer. 

• Like 1

We have got our room booked: Block B - Floor 7. As others have said, Eszter has been very helpful (even if it does take a day or two to reply) and seems to certainly have the students' wellbeing at heart. She has told me this flat of 4 rooms will all be NBS students - just one more room to fill. The other two so far are first-years (not sure of ages though).

Seeing as you two guys on this thread are in different blocks, it does at least seem like there will be quite a lot of NBS students in Medlock.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

We have got our room booked: Block B - Floor 7. As others have said, Eszter has been very helpful (even if it does take a day or two to reply) and seems to certainly have the students' wellbeing at heart. She has told me this flat of 4 rooms will all be NBS students - just one more room to fill. The other two so far are first-years (not sure of ages though).

Seeing as you two guys on this thread are in different blocks, it does at least seem like there will be quite a lot of NBS students in Medlock.

Glad you’ve got sorted. It does sound as there will be quite a few now in Medlock. I’m sure they will soon get to know each other despite being on different floors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Have just spoken to Eszter again & the room dd has been offered is block B she said that it was on the 6th floor. Won't all be same age / school year but are all NBS students. Still waiting Dada funding, let's hope it doesn't take to much longer. 

It could still be a while yet. It’s all very stressful but exciting at the same time.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so hopefully I am doing everything correctly. My DD has a place at NBS for Sept and I'm just trying to sort out accommodation. It seems most NBS 1st years are going to Medlock, is this the case? I had applied to dwell, but so far no other NBS students have applied there and they won't house a 16yr old with older students. Is anyone else planning to apply to dwell? If anyone has any advice/thoughts I would be really grateful (stressed Dance Mum!)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so hopefully I am doing everything correctly. My DD has a place at NBS for Sept and I'm just trying to sort out accommodation. It seems most NBS 1st years are going to Medlock, is this the case? I had applied to dwell, but so far no other NBS students have applied there and they won't house a 16yr old with older students. Is anyone else planning to apply to dwell? If anyone has any advice/thoughts I would be really grateful (stressed Dance Mum!)

Hi Twinkle & welcome to the Forum. Does Medlock not have any rooms available now or was it your preference to apply to Dwell?

It does appear that those of us posting on here with first years starting in September have rooms booked at Medlock. It might be worth speaking to Eszter at Medlock (her contact details are on the accommodation list provided by NBS) if you haven’t already done so as she is very helpful. Good luck with getting it sorted.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Hi everyone,

Good morning twinkle, 

DWELL would have been our go to if we didn't get Medlock but we have now sorted a room do you have the direct number to Medlock to be able to speak to Eszter who is dealing with NBS students? 

2 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Thankyou for your replies. I think I'll give Eszter a ring to see if she can sort something out for us.

Eszter is very nice & approachable. Just say your dd is 16 year old needs peers want her to be safe ( drop in safeguarding). Needs to be with other NBS students I presume you have  the direct number 0161 number? 

Thanks. I have just spoken to Eszter - very helpful. I don't have her direct number though. I'm just going to email details to her and hope she can place my daughter. Might not be at Medlock though, although I think she has other NBS students to place too!

12 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Thanks. I have just spoken to Eszter - very helpful. I don't have her direct number though. I'm just going to email details to her and hope she can place my daughter. Might not be at Medlock though, although I think she has other NBS students to place too!

Sounds positive. I’m sure she will find something suitable for your dd. She seems to be fully aware of the need to place NBS students together. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mjdb said:

I don't think it helps with Parkway Gate ( next door ) closing for refurb so presuming a lot of students from there are also heading to Medlock. Fingers crossed & hope you are sorted soon. 

They’ve been trying to refurb Parkway for a couple of years. Obviously recent events have put paid to that 😷. The strange thing is that Parkway flats appear to be generally in really good condition but it could be based on what we don’t see rather than what we do 😉. Staff are great at Medlock. I’m sure they will look after the NBS pupils new and returning. When speaking to staff they always only gave compliments for them all as they are recognised as reliable, dependable and well behaved tenants. ☺️

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the NBS family. Congratulations to your DD. Exciting times ahead. If you have any questions about the school and generally about the area don’t hesitate to ask. There’s 2nd and 3rd yr (me) parents on this forum that I’m sure are all happy to share what info we have accumulated over the years. ☺️

Hi all. 

Just checking in. Wondered if anyone has been into see the accommodation. Last time I spoke to Eszter she said we could go have a look around but with an hour & 45 mins journey thought it was best we wait until we know about funding. Waiting is the pits!! Hope you have had positive accommodation  news Twinkle. 

4 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Hi all. 

Just checking in. Wondered if anyone has been into see the accommodation. Last time I spoke to Eszter she said we could go have a look around but with an hour & 45 mins journey thought it was best we wait until we know about funding. Waiting is the pits!! Hope you have had positive accommodation  news Twinkle. 

No, not been to see. We noticed that NBS are doing tours of the school over the next couple of months and as we've never been there, we might go. It would make sense to look at the accommodation at the same time I guess.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

No, not been to see. We noticed that NBS are doing tours of the school over the next couple of months and as we've never been there, we might go. It would make sense to look at the accommodation at the same time I guess.

Oh that sounds like a plan. Where did you see about the tours? 

22 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

I saw the tours advertised on their website & although dd has attended summer school there twice thought it still might be a good idea to visit. As Dancers Dad says it would make sense to view the accommodation at the same time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

The tours sound like a great idea and thankfully Eszter found some accommodation for DD at Medlock. Happy days!

That's great news! There should be a good mix of NBS girls there & all quite close to one another. Hopefully makes settling in easier. 

1 hour ago, Mjdb said:

On the website. I was just reading the website for the hundredth time and suddenly there it was! We did email to ask if the tours were suitable for us and they are - they're designed for people in our position as well as those interested in coming in the future.

NB We also asked when we'd hear about Dada - they couldn't say - sounded like they're waiting to hear back from Dada.

3 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

On the website. I was just reading the website for the hundredth time and suddenly there it was! We did email to ask if the tours were suitable for us and they are - they're designed for people in our position as well as those interested in coming in the future.

NB We also asked when we'd hear about Dada - they couldn't say - sounded like they're waiting to hear back from Dada.

Thanks for the update on DaDAs, had been wondering what was happening there. I was going to email about the tours but you’ve answered that too. Just have to pick a date now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

Just had another look on the website & found the dates too. Must have snook those on in between my many visits! Looks like we have the same pass time! Lol.... Also another question answered about whether we would benefit from the viewings. My dd has exams the last week of April so we would hope to go in early May. I would hope by the end of their Easter break  we should have Dada news... Well I'm hoping so! 

• Like 1

Sorry another question for you. Have any of you looked into health insurance yet. I have had a cpl of quotes varying from mid to full cover. I know it's a personal choice thing but what would your insurance need to have included?