Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2021

Dancers Dad

Hello, first time post from a nervous Dad...

My daughter has accepted a place at Northern Ballet School for September 2021. The euphoria of getting in is now giving way to anxiety about living away from home in the middle of Manchester at 16! Especially the accommodation, sharing the building with older students etc.

So I wondered if anyone else on here has a child going there?

And anyone who is there now or has been there recently who could offer any advice about the accommodation in particular - and anything else too!

Many thanks.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Dancers Dad said:

Hello, first time post from a nervous Dad...

My daughter has accepted a place at Northern Ballet School for September 2021. The euphoria of getting in is now giving way to anxiety about living away from home in the middle of Manchester at 16! Especially the accommodation, sharing the building with older students etc.

So I wondered if anyone else on here has a child going there?

And anyone who is there now or has been there recently who could offer any advice about the accommodation in particular - and anything else too!

Many thanks.

Hi. Congratulations to your DD.
My DD also started at NBS at 16.  Currently in her 3rd and final year there. Happy to answer any questions you may have.  ☺️

• Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern Ballet School (Manchester) 2021

Hi my dd has also been offered a place for this September. Just now waiting to hear from Dada funding. I have been looking at accommodation but already some are sold out & I believe 1 of the blocks is having a refurbishment so even less choice it seems! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DancingShoes said:

Yes, Parkway House is closed next year. Happy to help with any questions if needed.

I have emailed about Medlock House & they have said their is no availability for an en-suite room from Sept 2021!  Do you have any experience if Dwell MSV  accommodation? Or anywhere else that is good but not going to break the bank!!  Also if only non en-suite rooms are available... How many would be sharing as some have up to 7 flats. Do you think en-suite is a necessity!? 

Edited by Mjdb
Added more questions

17 hours ago, Mjdb said:

I have emailed about Medlock House & they have said their is no availability for an en-suite room from Sept 2021!  Do you have any experience if Dwell MSV  accommodation? Or anywhere else that is good but not going to break the bank!!  Also if only non en-suite rooms are available... How many would be sharing as some have up to 7 flats. Do you think en-suite is a necessity!? 

Hi. Just jumping onto your post if you don’t mind. My DD stayed in Medlock for her first year. There are 2 bed flats available with a shared bathroom. The larger flats do have 2 or even 3 bath/shower rooms. Especially when up to 7 are sharing. The early bird rates for bookings normally run until April time. With Parkway closing I can see why there is such a demand for Medlock. They were supposed to close Parkway last year fir refurb but for obvious reasons that never happened. 
En-Suite is obviously personal choice and budget. An en-suite is obviously handy. As it does mean there’s never an issue on having to wait to have a shower! I’m sure those that share would create their own rota that meets their needs. 
My DD and her flat mates are used to having their own shower rooms now but the same could be said if they had shared from day one they just would have got used to that as well. 
The NBS pupils don’t share (unless requested) with uni students. Unite accommodate NBS pupils together. So if there aren’t any en suite available they do share a flat and therefore bathrooms with like minded students, if you get my drift. Dwell is also used however from what I’ve seen the flats don’t always have a living room just a small kitchen then the bedrooms. So no communal chillaxing space. 
If I can help any further please just ask. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Hi. Just jumping onto your post if you don’t mind. My DD stayed in Medlock for her first year. There are 2 bed flats available with a shared bathroom. The larger flats do have 2 or even 3 bath/shower rooms. Especially when up to 7 are sharing. The early bird rates for bookings normally run until April time. With Parkway closing I can see why there is such a demand for Medlock. They were supposed to close Parkway last year fir refurb but for obvious reasons that never happened. 
En-Suite is obviously personal choice and budget. An en-suite is obviously handy. As it does mean there’s never an issue on having to wait to have a shower! I’m sure those that share would create their own rota that meets their needs. 
My DD and her flat mates are used to having their own shower rooms now but the same could be said if they had shared from day one they just would have got used to that as well. 
The NBS pupils don’t share (unless requested) with uni students. Unite accommodate NBS pupils together. So if there aren’t any en suite available they do share a flat and therefore bathrooms with like minded students, if you get my drift. Dwell is also used however from what I’ve seen the flats don’t always have a living room just a small kitchen then the bedrooms. So no communal chillaxing space. 
If I can help any further please just ask. 

Hi ballet bean,

Thanks for the informative answer. Daughter would prefer en-suite but looking at the situation with lack of them it may well be that it won't be an option.  I like to be prepared so that's why I'm looking now to see what's available. I didn't know that about the Dwell flats, I think communal space is also a good thing so something to consider when, ( if we need to) make our final decision. We'll fingers crossed that when we need to start booking accommodation that we will be well informed. 

Ps. My DD did enjoy her stay at Medlock, the staff are great, however with hindsight we would have requested a flat over in possibly Block D or E  and preferably on the higher levels. Having not visited the building we left it up to the staff 🙁
Block A where she was overlooked the main ‘Mancunian Way’ flyover. 2nd floor was a tad noisy to say the least 🙉

4 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi ballet bean,

Thanks for the informative answer. Daughter would prefer en-suite but looking at the situation with lack of them it may well be that it won't be an option.  I like to be prepared so that's why I'm looking now to see what's available. I didn't know that about the Dwell flats, I think communal space is also a good thing so something to consider when, ( if we need to) make our final decision. We'll fingers crossed that when we need to start booking accommodation that we will be well informed. 

Happy to help. 
I do have an old video I took of the kitchen/living room in Medlock if that helps.  They are all much of a muchness.
On the plus side the bedrooms at Medlock are generous in comparison to others.  

• Like 1

Hi,

My dd is in New Medlock this year and has decided to stay next year too.

She has friends in Dwell and they are moving across to New Medlock in September. The Dwell flats are quite small and only have a small space to eat in the kitchen. I have a direct number for someone at New Medlock who was really helpful in sorting out a flat for next year, I will dig it out and pm it to you in the morning.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DancingShoes said:

Hi,

My dd is in New Medlock this year and has decided to stay next year too.

She has friends in Dwell and they are moving across to New Medlock in September. The Dwell flats are quite small and only have a small space to eat in the kitchen. I have a direct number for someone at New Medlock who was really helpful in sorting out a flat for next year, I will dig it out and pm it to you in the morning.

Hi DancingShoes, 

Thank you! 

Do you all book accommodation this far in advance? 

Did you actually get to view the room or just a room?

Is it always the case that they will put the NBS students together? 

Sorry for all the questions. 

Haven't even had funding offer yet n getting all stressed! 😲

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Hi DancingShoes, 

Thank you! 

Do you all book accommodation this far in advance? 

Did you actually get to view the room or just a room?

Is it always the case that they will put the NBS students together? 

Sorry for all the questions. 

Haven't even had funding offer yet n getting all stressed! 😲

Hi. Just jumping in here slightly.

From my personal experience. 
We couldn’t view due to our geographical location but another student with her parents did and sent us a video. It wasn’t the particular flat that they would be sharing just a general view of one flat as they are all much of a muchness. Just varying in size and shape. 
There is an ‘early bird’ rate so many do book early. Including those that were awaiting a DaDa confirmation. I feel for you. 
NBS (unless specifically requested) will be accommodated together. There was an issue once when it was discovered a male uni student had been placed in one of the bedrooms in a flat of NBS girls. Quick phone call by just one parent was enough for the poor chap to be moved before he even before he got his key in the lock!  Simple oversight on booking system. The staff are so supportive of the NBS pupils. Whilst there is a centralised booking system for Unite, Medlock & Parkway have their own direct  telephone numbers with very helpful staff prepared to step up and sort any issues not just the students may have but any posed by a parent 😉
Staff are available 24/7. Either at the reception desk or when that is closed their security staff that patrol the complex. 
This was my first experience of ‘Halls’ so neither my DD or I have anything to compare it to.  Nothing is perfect but as far as my experience of Unite I have no complaints.  Yes, the kitchen units are a tad tired but they really are put through their paces by the sheer volume of students year on year out. However, the white goods are replaced when they think they do or when requested!  They even replaced the mattresses when the girls mentioned that they were too lumpy (Princess and the Pea, springs to mind 🤣).  Bless them all☺️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

Hi. Just jumping in here slightly.

From my personal experience. 
We couldn’t view due to our geographical location but another student with her parents did and sent us a video. It wasn’t the particular flat that they would be sharing just a general view of one flat as they are all much of a muchness. Just varying in size and shape. 
There is an ‘early bird’ rate so many do book early. Including those that were awaiting a DaDa confirmation. I feel for you. 
NBS (unless specifically requested) will be accommodated together. There was an issue once when it was discovered a male uni student had been placed in one of the bedrooms in a flat of NBS girls. Quick phone call by just one parent was enough for the poor chap to be moved before he even before he got his key in the lock!  Simple oversight on booking system. The staff are so supportive of the NBS pupils. Whilst there is a centralised booking system for Unite, Medlock & Parkway have their own direct  telephone numbers with very helpful staff prepared to step up and sort any issues not just the students may have but any posed by a parent 😉
Staff are available 24/7. Either at the reception desk or when that is closed their security staff that patrol the complex. 
This was my first experience of ‘Halls’ so neither my DD or I have anything to compare it to.  Nothing is perfect but as far as my experience of Unite I have no complaints.  Yes, the kitchen units are a tad tired but they really are put through their paces by the sheer volume of students year on year out. However, the white goods are replaced when they think they do or when requested!  They even replaced the mattresses when the girls mentioned that they were too lumpy (Princess and the Pea, springs to mind 🤣).  Bless them all☺️

Hi ballet bean, 

Feel free to jump in with as much info as possible!! Lol. I think I will be having to have that phone conversation soon with someone at Medlock House, as I said, due to their being no en-suite flats when I was checking their website I emailed to be told their were non available for the new school year of September 2021 & they don't do waiting lists.. PANIC! is the word that comes to mind as that doesn't leave many choices!!

I will have to check T&C as to if we book something now & we don't get Dada how we would stand with their tenancy contract. Who's idea was it to start dd dancing?!! 🤣🤔.

Thank you for all the information & personal experiences shared here by the members. 

6 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi ballet bean, 

Feel free to jump in with as much info as possible!! Lol. I think I will be having to have that phone conversation soon with someone at Medlock House, as I said, due to their being no en-suite flats when I was checking their website I emailed to be told their were non available for the new school year of September 2021 & they don't do waiting lists.. PANIC! is the word that comes to mind as that doesn't leave many choices!!

I will have to check T&C as to if we book something now & we don't get Dada how we would stand with their tenancy contract. Who's idea was it to start dd dancing?!! 🤣🤔.

Thank you for all the information & personal experiences shared here by the members. 

I understand your turmoil. NBS pupils are highly praised by staff at Medlock as good tenants, so they do try their best wherever possible. There are 2 bed flats with one shared bath/shower room. Obviously the larger the flat the more bathrooms there are. I appreciate it’s not the same as an en-suite (which are actually teenie) but as they are all NBS pupils sharing it sort of feels like no different to sharing the family bathroom at home. If that helps. 
Good Luck. 
Ps. Whilst the DaDa is still in the processing stage I would think that Medlock would accept an initial booking with just a deposit to secure a room. There used to be a delay before a tenancy agreement had to be signed and therefore locked into a financial commitment. After-all they know they will be full after results day in August for the uni students as Parkway looks to be unavailable. There’s the demand there so they won’t lose out. 
Oh, one last thing. Wherever you do book please check the dates of the agreement. NBS finish later in the summer than a uni. Some leases fall short by a week or two. Which can be overlooked at the time of booking. 😉

4 minutes ago, balletbean said:

I understand your turmoil. NBS pupils are highly praised by staff at Medlock as good tenants, so they do try their best wherever possible. There are 2 bed flats with one shared bath/shower room. Obviously the larger the flat the more bathrooms there are. I appreciate it’s not the same as an en-suite (which are actually teenie) but as they are all NBS pupils sharing it sort of feels like no different to sharing the family bathroom at home. If that helps. 
Good Luck. 
Ps. Whilst the DaDa is still in the processing stage I would think that Medlock would accept an initial booking with just a deposit to secure a room. There used to be a delay before a tenancy agreement had to be signed and therefore locked into a financial commitment. After-all they know they will be full after results day in August for the uni students as Parkway looks to be unavailable. There’s the demand there so they won’t lose out. 
Oh, one last thing. Wherever you do book please check the dates of the agreement. NBS finish later in the summer than a uni. Some leases fall short by a week or two. Which can be overlooked at the time of booking. 😉

Thx

I have already acquired the term dates from NBS as I has seen the different amount of weeks & start/ finish dates! 

6 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Thx

I have already acquired the term dates from NBS as I has seen the different amount of weeks & start/ finish dates! 

Brill. We experienced that simple oversight from 1st to 2nd yr when NBS tweaked their term dates! 😉. Life lesson learnt. 

A message from my DD for all of those looking at Medlock. 

There are two more ‘Halls’ that have just been acquired by Unite even closer to NBS. If that was at all possible.   

Bridgewater Heights. Formerly Liberty Heights. And the brand new build ‘Artisan Heights’. 
There are some NBS pupils already booked in. They are apparently marginally more expensive than Medlock but they are newer so it’s swings and roundabouts 

• Like 1

Good Luck to all of those newbies. Exciting times ahead and sometimes overwhelming by us all. Possibly overthinking things (speaking from personal experience). The 1st yrs grow up very quickly and adapt to their new surroundings with such maturity (much to my surprise 🤣) whilst making new valued friendships. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, balletbean said:

A message from my DD for all of those looking at Medlock. 

There are two more ‘Halls’ that have just been acquired by Unite even closer to NBS. If that was at all possible.   

Bridgewater Heights. Formerly Liberty Heights. And the brand new build ‘Artisan Heights’. 
There are some NBS pupils already booked in. They are apparently marginally more expensive than Medlock but they are newer so it’s swings and roundabouts 

Gulp!! 

The rents at those..... Anyone want to buy a kidney! Lol 

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic and on private messages too. It's the lack of information that is one of the most nerve-wracking aspects so all of your information and direct experience has been very helpful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dancers Dad said:

Yes, these places look lovely - but definitely at a price.

The Unite website still seems to be showing ensuites available in Medlock... 

Hi dancers dad, 

When I checked this morning it had 1 en-suite but couldn't change the amount of tenancy weeks as it was 51.... We would need 44? 

2 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

Hi dancers dad, 

When I checked this morning it had 1 en-suite but couldn't change the amount of tenancy weeks as it was 51.... We would need 44? 

Oh, I see. I think I just agreed to everything... 😬 I assumed tenancy period was a non-negotiable (not least as I've heard it has been non-neg for students around the country this year, despite them being at home for most of the time...).

1 minute ago, Dancers Dad said:

Oh, I see. I think I just agreed to everything... 😬 I assumed tenancy period was a non-negotiable (not least as I've heard it has been non-neg for students around the country this year, despite them being at home for most of the time...).

On some of the flats in their description it gives you an option to choose between different length of time eg : 51 weeks / 44 weeks etc the 1 I saw it was listed for 51. 

5 minutes ago, Mjdb said:

On some of the flats in their description it gives you an option to choose between different length of time eg : 51 weeks / 44 weeks etc the 1 I saw it was listed for 51. 

Yes, I noticed that but when you chose 44 weeks, the weekly price went up and the annual total ended up being higher than the 51 week total, bizarrely (well, certainly on the two that I clicked on).

8 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

Yes, I noticed that but when you chose 44 weeks, the weekly price went up and the annual total ended up being higher than the 51 week total, bizarrely (well, certainly on the two that I clicked on).

Hmm yep your correct I hadn't done the maths. OK so in that case doing the 51 weeks seems s better deal?....

Holiday home for 7 weeks! Lol