Athelhampton Ballet To Return 2021

Totally agree FionaE.  Although on the webite beforehand it said that the sight lines would be good for everyone, unless you were very close to the stage in the really expensive seats, it simply wasn't so.  To my mind the more classically based choreography generally worked best.  I love contemporary, but if the dancers were static or descended to floor level, much was lost.  However, having said that, the one who suffered  most was Anna-Rose in Dying Swan.  You couldn't see and appreciate her footwork and every time she sank down she practically disappeared!

Having said that, it was a wonderful performance and you could feel how much the dancers were loving being able to perform! 

Agree Pas de Quatre.  

Unluckily (or luckily) I’d been allocated the back row of the cheap seats ... which turned out to be better than most, as I was able to stand behind my seat to get a full view.   It was fabulous!    

The view would be better if seating was spaced out rather than in tight family groups and also if they asked audience members to remove hats 🤣

I wonder how they solve this problem at the summer outdoor ballet tour in Denmark that Steven McRae arranged? (Originally Johan Kobborg) 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Booking opened  early...the £200 seats for Saturday were already gone so that temptation was fortunately removed....!

Athelhampton Instagram post  states:

Lots of amazing dancers and some TBC...to name a few -
Miss Marianela Nuñez
Mr. Marcelino Sambe
Miss Akane Takada
Mr. William Bracewell
Miss Anna Rose O’Sullivan
Mr. Reece Clarke
Miss Fumi Kaneko and MORE!!!

Prices will be the same as last year. ❤️
Audience will now be covered so we can proceed rain or shine and the stage will be raised for better sight lines

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping Akane will still be OK for this, and indeed for next season at the RB ....she has now had to pull out of Dracula in August in Japan, which will be a great disappointment for herself and her Japanese fans. She is replaced there by Momoko Hirata , BRB principal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I will second that, I hope Akane will be there. Last year's Athelhmpton was the first time I had seen her live, and even in such illustrious company she shone!

She reports on the NBA website that the withdrawal is due to an injury during the (Dracula) rehearsal. Whether this is a resurgence of whatever she suffered at the end of May, or something new, is not clear. 

• 1 month later...
On 07/07/2021 at 06:52, Pas de Quatre said:

I will second that, I hope Akane will be there. Last year's Athelhmpton was the first time I had seen her live, and even in such illustrious company she shone!

She is back taking class at the ROH and looking as good as ever (at least to my eye)  so hopefully she will be OK for Athelhampton. ☺

• Like 1

Yes, on the Athelhampton site she is listed as appearing.  Have they increased the numbers in the audience now that social spacing is not required?   When I booked soon after the box office opened some categories had already sold out, now it seems there is availability at all prices.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Sp

4 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Yes, on the Athelhampton site she is listed as appearing.  Have they increased the numbers in the audience now that social spacing is not required?   When I booked soon after the box office opened some categories had already sold out, now it seems there is availability at all prices.

Yes I think there was reference a little while ago to more seats becoming available, although I don't recall that a reason was given. 

Unfortunately Marianela Nunez and Marcelino Sambe are not currently  listed  on the Athelhampton site as appearing, although they were both mentioned at the outset.  

That said, if the current listing holds, it will still be an amazing line up of RB talent. 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Unfortunately Marianela Nunez and Marcelino Sambe are not currently  listed  on the Athelhampton site as appearing, although they were both mentioned at the outset.  

Marianela Nunez withdrew from the World Ballet Festival in Tokyo earlier this month due to injury so perhaps not recovered yet?  

Oh that is a shame. Wishing her a speedy recovery. She was wonderful at Athelhampton last year. Not just the quality of her dancing, but the sheer joy she communicated being back on stage. Just like the proverbial kid in a sweetshop!

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 1

Super programme … I could do without ‘After the Rain’ which I’ve seen too much lately.

Personally delighted to see Johan Kobborg’s Les Lutins performed at an RB event for the first time since McRae, Polunin, Cojocaru original cast.  It’s been performed at independent galas elsewhere and by Svetlana Zakharova’s personal shows, most recently earlier this month in Tokyo.  

It will be very interesting to see how Raymonda male pd4 works outdoors on a smallish stage.  Or maybe the stage will be bigger.  And who will perform it? 

Edited by FionaE
Clarification

• 2 weeks later...

Full details now announced as follows:

Dancers

MELISSA HAMILTON

MEAGHAN GRACE HINKIS

FUMI KANEKO

SARAH LAMB

MAYARA MAGRI

LAURA MORERA

ANNA ROSE O’SULLIVAN

AKANE TAKADA

LUCA ACRI

MATTHEW BALL

WILLIAM BRACEWELL

LUKAS BJØRNENBOE BRÆNDSRØD

LEO DIXON
DAVID DONNELLY

DAICHI IKARASHI

TAISUKE NAKAO

CALVIN RICHARDSON

GIACOMO ROVERO

JOSEPH SISSENS

Programme

Overture: Paganini Capriccio  No. 5 played by Sergey Levitin

Rhapsody Pas de Deux  (Frederick Ashton) O’Sullivan ~ Donnelly

Raymonda Pas de Quatre  (Rudolf Nureyev) Rovero, Ishikari, Nakao, Sissens

Concerto Pas de Deux (Kenneth MacMillan) Hamilton ~ B. Braendsrod

Calliope Rag from Elite Syncopations (Kenneth MacMillan) Morera

Within the Golden Hour Pas de Deux (Christopher Wheeldon) Takada ~ Richardson

Quicksand (Erico Montes)  Donnelly

Grand Pas Classique  Pas de Deux (Victor Gsovsky)   Magri ~ Bracewell

Meditation from Thais (Frederick Ashton) Lamb ~ Ball

---Interval---

The Dying Swan (Calvin Richardson) Richardson

Romeo and Juliet Balcony Pas de Deux (Kenneth MacMillan) Hinkis ~ Bracewell

The Lightness of Being (Craig Davidson) Hamilton ~ B. Braendsrod

Chroma Pas de Deux (Wayne McGregor) O’Sullivan ~ Dixon

Manon Act I  - Des Grieux’s Solo  (Kenneth MacMillan)  Sissens

With a Chance of Rain (Liam Scarlett)  Morera ~ Ball

Traces  (Cathy Marston)  Magri ~ Acri

Rose Adagio (Marius Petipa)  Kaneko  ~ B. Braendsrod, Donnelly, Rovero, Dixon

Les Lutins  (Johan Kobborg) Hinkis, Nakao, Ikarashi

Super programme … really looking forward to this.

Only 1 female solo?

Good news that both stage and audience will be covered and … that the  stage will be ‘slightly’ higher than last year.  Although this doesn’t sound enough.  Last year I could see Marianela (first on) only from waist up when sat in my chair.  Beautiful as she and her upper body are … that’s still only half the dance and the dancer.  

It’s beyond me why these new outdoor dance events by RB (Athelhampton and Yeo Valley) can’t learn about effective stage height, for audiences on level ground, from Johan Kobborg and Steven McRae who’ve been holding successful outdoor dance events in Denmark for over 12 years.   Those stages are much higher.  And that works for the whole audience … provided the front row is not too close.  

And maybe that’s the point here 🤔 

That these shows are made for the elite front few rows.  

On 01/09/2021 at 22:34, Ingrid said:

Mayara Magri and William Bracewell will be dancing Victor Gsovsky’s Grand Pas Classique. And from the snippets I’ve seen on Instagram it looks incredible.

She danced it well at the Ukranian gala last night.  I think she will be more comfortable with Bracewell as partner!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

She danced it well at the Ukranian gala last night.  I think she will be more comfortable with Bracewell as partner!

I think they also had more rehearsal time together ( 2 weeks I believe) while she had maybe 3 days for the Ukrainian Gala. 

• Like 1