NYCB (New York City Ballet) Digital Offerings

A vintage recording of New York City Ballet's Apollo in Hamburg 1965.

https://www.ndr.de/orchester_chor/das_neue_werk/Strawinsky-in-Hamburg-Ballett-Apollon-musagete-1965,strawinsky160.html?fbclid=IwAR2gellg_uH09StG9-W5O7NfZWop8gi_SMzxL2dYXBMgi4x28_b2BJnv0gE

Jacque d'Amboise, Suzanne Farrell, Gloria Govrin and Patricia Neary, Karin von Aroldingen

• Like 3

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How wonderful to see this again- I have long since been unable to watch my Betamax tape of it. It's great to see Jacques d'Amboise, still in his prime, in one of his finest roles. He's such a remarkable performer that I regularly sit through the film Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which I detest for its mysogyny, just to catch glimpses of him. And Suzanne (Farrell) at the start of her career, an innocent Terpischore (so unlike Bussell who sexualised her) and the great Pat Neary, now such a fervent stager for the Balanchine Trust. And it's good to see the original version, not the abbreviated version that even Balanchine it is reported came to prefer, which many of us Balanchine addicts like better.

I wish current Apollos and directors would watch this tape. All too often nowadays Apollo is depicted as godlike from the very start, instead of gradually attaining that status.

Thank you so much, Naomi.

• alison changed the title to NYCB (New York City Ballet) Digital Offerings 2021
  • 4 weeks later...

Reminder about tonight’s premiere streaming of NYCB ‘s spring 2021 Gala & direct link to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/c/nycballet/videos

It’s basically 25-min film by Sophia Coppola that includes excerpts from Robbins & Balanchine works - plus  a new solo by Justin Peck for Anthony Huxley - captured in different spaces in their home theatre. Sounds lovely!

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 14:25, Jeannette said:

Reminder about tonight’s premiere streaming of NYCB ‘s spring 2021 Gala & direct link to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/c/nycballet/videos

It’s basically 25-min film by Sophia Coppola that includes excerpts from Robbins & Balanchine works - plus  a new solo by Justin Peck for Anthony Huxley - captured in different spaces in their home theatre. Sounds lovely!

It was lovely! The finale 'Divertimento No15' was just a joy (and reminded me why I love Balanchine so much), plus the dancers reactions on the stage after the curtain came down, speaks for us all I think. Not normally my sort of music, but perhaps the highlight for me was the waltzy bit in the middle (Liebeslieder Walzer, with Maria Kowroski and Ask la Cour, and again, choregraphed by Balanchine). Danced in the grand foyer of the Lincoln Centre, it is beautifully photographed, with all that natural light pouring through the huge array of windows. Exquisite!

• Like 2

Agree, Dave.  Thought that Coppola - (quite obviously a chip off her elder's block) - used cinematic artistry with great prudence and vivid punctuation here.  I so loved the formal opening with Garcia walking down the corridor before entering into the ghost of a space his body knew well and embracing it with the Brown Boy's welcoming ebullience.  So candidly poignant.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 03:15, Ivy Lin said:

They're adding a performance of Vienna Waltzes:

JUNE 3-17

As a finale to the 2021 digital season, NYCB will stream a complete performance of Balanchine’s Vienna Waltzes. Created in 1977 and set to waltzes by Johann Strauss II, Franz Lehár, and Richard Strauss, this work of grand scale featuring more than 50 dancers is only performed by New York City Ballet.

Through Rouben Ter-Arutunian’s evolving scenery, Ronald Bates’ lighting, and Karinska’s costumes, the last that the famed designer created for the Company, the ballet transforms from a sylvan forest glen to a dance hall to a glittering society café to, at last, a majestic mirrored ballroom.

This performance, which will be available to stream for two weeks, was filmed in 2013 and features Rebecca Krohn, Tyler Angle, Megan Fairchild, Anthony Huxley, Erica Pereira, Sean Suozzi, Teresa Reichlen, Ask la Cour, Maria Kowroski and Jared Angle in the principal roles.

Available now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpqhrYV7W3I

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 03:15, Ivy Lin said:

They're adding a performance of Vienna Waltzes:

JUNE 3-17

As a finale to the 2021 digital season, NYCB will stream a complete performance of Balanchine’s Vienna Waltzes. Created in 1977 and set to waltzes by Johann Strauss II, Franz Lehár, and Richard Strauss, this work of grand scale featuring more than 50 dancers is only performed by New York City Ballet.

Last day today!

• 1 month later...

Wasn’t sure where to place this -

NYCB booking for single-performance tickets opened yesterday (Aug 1).

https://www.nycballet.com/season-and-tickets/seasons

I’m all set for the grand reopening on 21 September & some special shows beyond that. Ready to show my vaccination card for entry...and to wear mask! Hoping that these come to pass...that the Delta variant doesn’t mess with ballet.

• Like 1

Thanks for alerting us, Jeannette.  Sadly British travellers are not allowed to enter the US at this point in time unless they are (to use American terminology) 'Resident Aliens'.  I see that US children below the age of 12 are not allowed to attend NYCB - nor the Met or Carnegie Hall - , they say 'before October'.  I assume that is because they feel they won't have vaccinated children of that age until then.  Of course your countrymen began vaccinating people over 16 on 19th April.  I have a feeling that British travellers may well be barred from US entry until that time ... if not longer.  I'm praying that we will be able to go by February of next year as I have a whole schedule of programmes that were re-arranged from first quarter 2020.  I pray for NYCB's sake that children under 12 are allowed to attend by late November or it will play havoc surely with the Nutcracker schedule - and they must sorely need those funds now.  

You really had me excited with the prospect of digital offerings from the forthcoming season (i.e., from the email notice I received with your new notation - entitled as above).  Now I find myself just disappointed.  One, of course, lives in hope - and remains hugely appreciative for the programmes we have received for free from NYCB during these dark days.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Oh, sorry for the false alarm on digitals,  Bruce! What a tough situation for traveling balletomanes!

Even though I’m going to the reopening, I’m hoping that the event could be experienced by ALL who wish, via a live stream, even if for a fee. As this show is close to being “sold out” - even the seats in the very spacious 4th Tier are nearly gone -  maybe NYCB’s unions might allow a livestream this one time? Who knows? What a gift to humanity that would be!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SheilaC said:

I've now had a response, stating "we have no firm details at this point but it's possible we may offer some streams in the future." They suggest checking the site periodically.

Thanks for trying, SheilaC. I just hope that any future livestream is for anything but Nutcracker. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2021 at 22:52, SheilaC said:

I've now had a response, stating "we have no firm details at this point but it's possible we may offer some streams in the future." They suggest checking the site periodically.

It is promising I think that in an article in today's New York Times Wendy Whelan is quoted as saying:

We do hope to keep some form of streaming and digital creativity alive; we know how important this year has been for developing and building a larger global outreach for City Ballet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

It is promising I think that in an article in today's New York Times Wendy Whelan is quoted as saying:

We do hope to keep some form of streaming and digital creativity alive; we know how important this year has been for developing and building a larger global outreach for City Ballet.

I like the streaming part; not so much “digital creativity”!  Just roll the camera as dancers perform to an audience, please.  

By the way, some problem is brewing with the NYCB Orchestra not having been paid what was promised during the COVID lay-off period. I hope that this is resolved before opening night on 21 September. 

https://slippedisc.com/2021/08/ny-city-ballet-is-told-it-does-not-have-to-pay-its-orchestra/

Edited by Jeannette

• 1 month later...

Didn’t know where else to put this...

THE DAY HAS ARRIVED! NYCB is reopening tonight! 

WHOOP - WHOOP! 🥳 

At Union Station, Washington, DC, about to Board my train. 

Curtain up on Serenade at 7:30pm...and the orchestra has agreed to play. Big applause to them!

• Like 4

Oh, lucky you ..... The rest of us here in the UK will just have to cheer ourselves up with Vienna's Sin3 and Pictures .... but a taste of the NYCB magic .... Enjoy and let us know - in detail - what you thought, Jeanette ... Etch the pictures for us ... We will be truly grateful.  

• Like 1

I’ll prepare a proper report later. For now, suffice to say that the grand NYCB reopening was a huge hit from an emotional perspective! The audience fired a volley of “Bravos” to dancers and orchestra, many times. 

The sold-out audience wore masks...but every seat was occupied.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0oPRbbNjqrmqFLjm8Vmse5i8Q

...ah, my train to Washington is approaching. More later, when I’m awake. :)

• Like 7

Here are links to a few photos of bows:

Serenade 

l to r: LeCrone - Sanz - Hyltin - Danchig-Waring - Bouder

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03Q6NSYup7UVSL-PTjlk86AZg

After the Rain pdd

Kowroski - laCour

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0w7oT-S6Aw59fP8jBpvJM4lFA

Symphony in C 

Andrew Litton and full cast...Tiler Angle with shaved head, behind Mearns (2nd couple from left)

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0uLaa814YVzSuYwSGp-EU1TEQ

I hope that I’ve done this properly...incursion into high-tech. 

As for a report, I honestly have little to add to the bits above except that I felt honored to be in the midst of an historic event!

Was it perfect dancing? No - how could it be, after 18 months away and the introduction of several novice or apprentice corps dancers (the raggedy edges to Bizet 4th movmt)? Even for principals, several coming from injury or motherhood (amazing Meagan Fairchild leading Bizet 1st mvmt after giving birth to twins a few months ago).

Yet, it was a magical evening, with soon-to-retire principals Maria Kowroski and Ask laCour taking the cake in a haunting rendition of Wheeldon’s After the Rain. (Wheeldon’s D.G.V. was the last work performed before COVID on 1 Mar 2020.)

The other “wow performance” for me was Joseph Gordon as the leading gent in Bizet-1st mvmt. His high leaps & zippy pirouettes unforgettable!

The sold-out audience cheered to the rafters, sometimes in the oddest spots of ballets - as Serenade’s ladies pique’ed in a giant circle. We just couldn’t contain our enthusiasm! Just as confetti rained from above at the final bows, love rained from the public. Welcome back, NYCB!!! ❤️ 💕 💗 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Many top NYCB stars (and a handful from ABT) are featured in this year’s Vail Dance Festival NOW: Premieres show, live-streamed last night but still up on their YouTube site. Not sure for how long. Watch while you can!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAOh1ni0Qr0

Most of the ten new ballets are rather brief, although the last one on the show, by Justin Peck, lasts about 40 minutes.

Watch out for Siesta…a solo for amazing Roman Mejia! Or the expressive Sara Mearns’ unusual pas de deux (MASS) with a bass-baritone. I also loved Tiler Peck’s pas de trois (Variations on a Theme, to Corelli) for the three young Ukrainian scholar-ballerinas. Oh…and the return of Justin Peck to dancing in that last piece, especially his tender pdd with his real-life wife, Patricia Delgado! Lots to love in this show. 💕 

p.s. Sorry about the title of this thread, as this is now 2022.  It’s still the tail-end of the 21/22 season…and the Vail Festivals are quite NYCB-centric. 😉 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, myrtle said:

If you miss it I believe there is on demand viewing until December 17.   

From the alert on this thread https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/47815-live-stream-from-city-center-today-630-est-balanchines-nutcracker/