NYCB (New York City Ballet) Digital Offerings

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Now my turn, Alison ... What is 'AmE'?    Not heard that one ....  

Perhaps American English?

4 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Perhaps American English?

Thanks so, oncnp.  I knew it must be something useful.  

I did suspect it might be something like that.  I looked 'AmE' up on Google and got this definition:  'Generally, a large (broad, tall, or buff) attractive man, who tends to be not very bright, but usually extremely nice and respectful. Think Kronk from The Emperors'

Didn't think Alison would be referencing Kronk somehow :) 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Some people here might enjoy PAW DE DEUX .... A mixture of NYCB dancers and their own personal guest artists (i.e. pets) ... attempting to communicate in a language (a) I very much hope we might all strive to understand and (b) find at least some communal joy in ... Certainly I found it worthy of a grin (or two) :) ... Not such a bad thing methinks in this day and age ... no matter what climb you may find yourself in ... 

• Like 3

Just had to log in to register my delight and joy to be able to watch the 2hr Balanchine tribute show from 1983 twice now in past couple of days! To see Suzanne Farrell dancing in her prime after only ever reading about her performances and to see more from the master choreographer.... such long awaited treats! 

• Like 2

SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) where NYCB has for decades held a summer residence in Upstate New York which - like this everything else this year - was cancelled for 2020 due to the pandemic - has sponsored a small digital season of its own during this month (commencing 14th July) in replacement.  it will involve four new works from four choreographers and seven NYCB dancers.  It is spearheaded by NYCB's Emily Kikta and Peter Walker with the musical elements being provided by members of the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center and The Philadelphia Orchestra - both of whom are also SPAC constituents.  You can follow this on SPAC's Facebook page here.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

The SAB (School of American Ballet, the official school of NYCB - New York City Ballet, both founded by George Balanchine) Workshop Performance Celebration, with pieces by Balanchine, Robbins and Peck, is available for your enjoyment until 13th July (i.e., up to and including 13th July) here ... 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Some may be interested in checking out Lincoln Center's entrancing and all-star concert performance of Rogers and Hamerstein's Carousel with the New York Philharmonic.  I only add this here as the dance sequences - based on the original Agnes De Mille - are performed by Tiler Peck and Robert Fairchild in 2012.  At that time BOTH were still principals of NYCB.

• Like 3

What joy to watch some Balanchine in real time again - even if it is virtually.

It's now finished - and wonderful it was too.  This is the opening segment of the City Center Studio5@Home series.  (Studio 5 in that illustrious address was where Balanchine created so, so many glorious ballets.)  Here we see NYCB stalwart Merrill Ashley briefly coach current NYCB principal Tiler Peck in three Balanchine solos (a) the Sugar Plum Fairy Variation - which - as I'm sure many here know - comes at the beginning of the second act of Balanchine's production of The Nutcracker; (b) the first ballerina solo from Symphony in C and the first leading ballerina variation from Divertimento No. 15

Enjoy.  (Certainly I did.)  

A brilliant conversation between Megan Fairchild and Wendy Whelan about the sadly late (LONG before his time) Albert Evans.  It so gloriously captures his wit, warmth and strength ... 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

If you are ever in need of having some flower arrangements made and hand delivered in and around Manhattan by a former NYCB principal then Robbie Fairchild's your man.  He says:  'Three years ago I dove deep into my love for flowers and enrolled at the @coventgardenacademyofflowers in London. I love the British floral sensibility and am so excited to bring that to NYC. Up and running and taking your orders now! DM me for any and all questions.'  You can see some samples here.  

The result:  @boo.kay.nyc

You just know they'd arrive with a certain flourish.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just HAVE to post this.  This is Megan Fairchild's - who has really become a wonderful host - interview with LaJeromeny Brown - a corps member from NYCB.  WHAT AN INSPIRATION THIS YOUNG MAN IS!!!  His father was in prison.  His attitude towards it/him is just SO refreshing.  (I can say that with confidence as I've dealt with many in similar circumstances.  I'm scheduled to be back and do a major project at Riker's Island [a massive prison in NYC] in the first quarter of 2022.  I'm going to bring LaJeromeny in - if he wants.  His example will be potent for the men.)  So too is his whole life story inspiring.  He is, it seems, blind in his left eye.  He didn't even let the Company know until one day at rehearsal when they were getting after him for being out of line and he was afraid to turn his head to look.  (This was the first Megan had heard of it.)  When the Ballet Master found out she simply said - 'turn your head'.  His attitude towards the Covid interval is a MARVEL!  He is definitely his own man.  As Megan says: 'You've got it all figured out.'  He has been foreign exchange trading ... and is opening up a fashion brand .. LaJeromeny is goin' places - fast!  A total breath of fresh air.  The amazing thing is - EVEN NOW HE IS ONLY 19!!!!!

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Thanks, Bruce. I totally agree. I’ll never forget his beautiful performance in Peck’s newest ballet, Rotunda, just before the pandemic shut-down. LJ was a last-minute substitute for the injured principal, Danchig-Waring...imagine that. I kept wondering, “Who is that sinewy gorgeous mover out there?” I’m sure that the world’s choreographers will be creating great things on LJ. And this interview just seals my great feelings about him.

• 1 month later...

On Tuesday 29 September at 8pm EDT, New York City Ballet will release an all-Balanchine programme of Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux (Peck and De Luz!!!) and “The Unanswered Question” from Ivesiana, with excerpts from Symphony in C, Liebeslieder Walzer, Episodes, and Stravinsky Violin Concerto

Leading dancers include NYCB Principal Dancers Ashley Bouder, Sterling Hyltin, Maria Kowroski, Lauren Lovette, Sara Mearns, Tiler Peck, Teresa Reichlen, Jared Angle, Adrian Danchig-Waring, Joseph Gordon, Anthony Huxley, Ask la Cour, and Taylor Stanley, as well as former NYCB Principal Dancers Janie Taylor, Joaquin De Luz, and Jonathan Stafford, who is NYCB’s current Artistic Director.

The second programme, which premieres on Tuesday 6 October at 8pm EDT, will feature two works by George Balanchine: Kammermusik No. 2 (First Movement) and Movements for Piano and Orchestra; two works by Jerome RobbinsOpus 19/The Dreamer (First Movement) and Glass Pieces (Third Movement); as well as Chiaroscuro by Lynne Taylor-Corbett and Red Angels by Ulysses Dove.

The performances feature NYCB Principal Dancers Sara Mearns, Maria Kowroski, Teresa Reichlen, Jared Angle, Adrian Danchig-Waring, Gonzalo Garcia, Ask la Cour, and Andrew Veyette; NYCB Soloists Lauren King, Ashley Laracey, Unity Phelan, and Brittany Pollack; and former NYCB Principal Dancer Jennie Somogyi, former NYCB dancer Giovanni Villalobos, and former NYCB Soloist and current Resident Choreographer and Artistic Advisor Justin Peck.

On Saturday 10 October, at 2pm EDT, NYCB will release its first “family-friendly” matinée programme, which includes three ballets by Balanchine: Tarantella, with Megan Fairchild and Joaquin De Luz; the first movement of Western Symphony, led by Abi Stafford and Taylor Stanley; and Scherzo à la Russe, performed by then-apprentices Olivia Boisson and Claire Von Enck, along with dancers who were students at the School of American Ballet at the time of the recording.

Each program will be available to view for one week.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The full breakdown of casting for the NYCB programmes noted above can now be found here:

https://www.nycballet.com/season-and-tickets/fall-digital-season/

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here but I’m not crazy about mish-mash excerpts programs. I realize that it’s free but I wish that NYCB would also be offering a paid option to see large (20+ minute long) complete ballets. 

Theyre all archival films, after all. The full films exist.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

• alison changed the title to New York City Ballet: Digital Spring - and now Fall/Autumn
13 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here but I’m not crazy about mish-mash excerpts programs. I realize that it’s free but I wish that NYCB would also be offering a paid option to see large (20+ minute long) complete ballets. 

Theyre all archival films, after all. The full films exist.

I, for one, am most grateful to NYCB for offering what they are.  One has to remember that they have had this catalogue - in one technical form or another - since the mid-80's - perhaps larger than any other Company on earth - and it has never previously been shared with the general public at large. 

I would suspect there are many practical reasons for the deployment of the excerpt format at the present moment in time.  It would be easier for them to present all full ballets certainly - but I'm sure there are many factors.  A few that spring to mind are: (i) allowing as wide a range of dancers (especially senior dancers who may be nearer to the end of their practical dancing careers) to be seen and works to be sampled during the time/weeks allowed; (ii) to perhaps fulfil as many different creative rights / judgements as possible (i.e., where segments rather than entire films meant originally for rehearsal purposes were deemed appropriate for greater exposure); (iii) or dealing - as they must - with a range of Union and professional guild stipulations given the original umbrella under which these materials were filmed, etc.  I would also imagine/suspect - although I do not know for certain - that much of the material - such as that filmed for ultimate residence in the Jerome Robbins Collection of the New York Public Library - would have been financially supported and filmed with a dictate (by Robbins, himself, I suspect) that it be given for view - where not restricted by the Company - free of any charge. 

I'm confident too that NYCB will be considering their future digital platforms with systems fully and legally geared towards our contemporary age; in a manner befitting our changing times.  They have indicated so in both their public and subscriber surveys certainly.  If a particular person - such as your good self, Jeannette - was to be disturbed/distressed by the excerpts format then might I respectfully suggest there is certainly no need for you to watch them.  None at all.  I am certain that - in time - full programmes will be restored and theatres of all nations will be relit. 

It is my personal belief that we all - at this point - are best to at least strive to live in hope; to keep at least one optimistic foot forward.  Certainly that is the philosophy I am now, myself, doing my best to adhere to both for my own well being and I earnestly pray for that of others.  Certainly that is my goal.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Thanks for the long and well thought-out answer, Bruce. Oh, I’ll watch but it’s frustrating. It’s been company after company (PNB, Wash Ballet) offering mostly a bundle of excerpts as their digital seasons. At least NYCB’s are free.

Many other companies in the US have not even announced excerpts. Look at how long we’ve been waiting for the Sarasota digital offerings.

I’d prefer to read a book than the Readers Digest magazine...but if Readers Digest is all available, I’ll pick it up.

Edited by Jeannette

Jeannette - perhaps best if you now look away NOW - but I am genuinely excited about a goodly number of these excerpts ... 

TUESDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 13, 8:00PM

(available until Tuesday, October 20, at 8pm EDT)

BRAHMS-SCHOENBERG QUARTET (First Movement)
Ashley Bouder, Russell Janzen*, Emily Kikta
Conductor: Andrew Litton, Filmed on 5/15/2019

DUO CONCERTANT
Megan Fairchild, Anthony Huxley
Solo Violinist: Arturo Delmoni; Solo Pianist: Elaine Chelton. Filmed on 4/30/2019.

DANCES AT A GATHERING (Scherzo and Finale)
Megan Fairchild, Sterling Hyltin, Unity Phelan, Tyler Angle, Adrian Danchig-Waring, and Peter Walker, with Ashley Bouder, Lauren King, Gonzalo Garcia, and Roman Mejia
Solo Pianist: Susan Walters. Filmed on 10/3/2019.

SYMPHONY IN C (Fourth Movement and Finale)
Erica Pereira and Troy Schumacher**, with Ashley Bouder, Maria Kowroski, Indiana Woodward**, Joseph Gordon**, Tyler Angle, and Sebastian Villarini-Velez**
Conductor: Clotilde Otranto. Filmed on 9/28/2018.

TUESDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 20, 8:00PM

(available until Tuesday, October 27, at 8pm EDT)

RODEO: FOUR DANCE EPISODES (Third and Fourth Episodes)
Brittany Pollack, *Justin Peck, Daniel Ulbricht, Gonzalo Garcia, Andrew Veyette
Conductor: Andrews Sill. Filmed on 5/11/2017.

PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION (Excerpt):
Tuileries: Tiler Peck
Bydlo: Sterling Hyltin, Sara Mearns, Claire Kretzschmar, Abi Stafford
Promenade: Gonzalo Garcia
Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks: Tyler Angle, Gonzalo Garcia, Joseph Gordon, Aaron Sanz*, Andrew Veyette*
Solo Pianist: Stephen Gosling. Filmed on 5/10/2017.

YEAR OF THE RABBIT (Year of Our Lord pas de deux)
Indiana Woodward, Taylor Stanley
Conductor: Daniel Capps. Filmed on 1/25/2018.

POLYPHONIA (Excerpt):
IX.: Lauren Lovette*, Andrew Veyette*
X.: Lauren Lovette*, Megan Fairchild*, Alston Macgill*, Sara Mearns, Andrew Veyette*, Jovani Furlan*, Roman Mejia*, Silas Farley*
Solo Pianists: Stephen Gosling, Alan Moverman. Filmed on 1/30/2020.

RUSSIAN SEASONS (Excerpt):
IX.: Abi Stafford, Sara Mearns, Amar Ramasar
Conductor: Andrews Sill; Solo Violinist: Arturo Delmoni; Soprano: Veronica Mitina. Filmed on 2/1/2018.

X.: Taylor Stanley*
Conductor: Andrew Litton; Solo Violinist: Kurt Nikkanen. Filmed on 4/26/2017.

MERCURIAL MANOEUVRES (Pas de deux)
Tiler Peck, Tyler Angle
Conductor: Andrew Litton, Solo Pianist: Alan Moverman. Filmed on 4/25/2017.

EVERYWHERE WE GO (Finale)
Maria Kowroski, Sara Mearns*, Indiana Woodward*, Teresa Reichlen, Russell Janzen, Taylor Stanley*, Gonzalo Garcia
Conductor: Daniel Capps. Filmed on 10/3/2019.

Edited by alison
To reduce font size
  • Like 2

Hey, Bruce, at this point, I’m grateful for whatever crumbs are thrown our way.

i didn’t watch last night’s initial Fall program because it conflicted with the live political event “Fight of the Clowns” a.k.a. “Harlequinade Pas de Deux”!

Looking forward to watching NYCB today.

Edited by Jeannette

Just watched the initial NYCB fall program...and realize that I was in the audience for the filmed Ivesiana, Liebeslieder and Tchaikovsky pdd...and weren’t Tiler Peck & Joaquin De Luz extraordinary in the latter?! This was just a few days before his farewell, which I also attended. In those “farewell days,” De Luz went all-out at all performances...as if he were beginning - not ending - his career. Happy memories. 😃 

I see this week NYCB are streaming a family event, in addition to their tue eve (or for me Wed) stream. 

This double-feature week also includes a program of family-friendly Balanchine escapades on Saturday, October 10 at 2 PM. Principal Dancer Megan Fairchild will welcome fans of all ages to a showing of TarantellaScherzo à la Russe, and the first movement from Western Symphony.

Access the streams, each available for one week after airing, on Facebook, YouTube, and our website.

Edited by Janite

On 30/09/2020 at 19:43, Jeannette said:

Just watched the initial NYCB fall program...and realize that I was in the audience for the filmed Ivesiana, Liebeslieder and Tchaikovsky pdd...and weren’t Tiler Peck & Joaquin De Luz extraordinary in the latter?!

Nice one! 🙂

The Tchaikovsky pdd was indeed sensationally scrumptious. I've only just got round to watching, as I had falsely believed it was pay-per-view. So glad I did! Also loved the first movement of Symphony in C (probably my fave of the 4 movements), and the finale of the Stravinsky Violin Concerto.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

More slivers of NYCB magic here.  

A real winner of a program. Three of the ballets were 100% complete - Movements, Chiaroscuro and Red Angels.

Totally loved Maria Kowroski in Movements. So nice that NYCB is featuring more of her in this digital season, given that she’ll be retiring next year...hopefully a proper live retirement.

• Like 1

Here is the programme Jeannette mentions above.  It is delightfully introduced - with inspired natural wit and charm - by Megan Fairchild.  Her performance in Tarantella with J. De Luz so reminded me of the two that A. R. O'Sullivan and M. Sambe - so glorious in Fille last night at the ROH - gave at City Center in NYC - which rightfully brought down the house.  This half hour programmes' all is charm personified - and a brilliant intro to the art of Ballet for anyone still young and open in heart. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Y3wH8ph1Q

• Like 2

The next of the regular NYCB digital fall 2020 programs premieres tonight - mix of Balanchine & Robbins works, incl first mvmt of Brahms-Schoenberg, featuring much-admired corps dancer Emily Kikta, who talks about it (near top of “videos” option):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg1UaFOsQ7BkCWAxNIpE4uQ

The link to tonight’s program should appear soon in that same YouTube channel.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2