Sarasota Ballet have announced a true 'Heritage' programme for their upcoming Autumn digital season and for which you can buy tickets to watch.  I have a feeling that many hereabouts may want to do so as it features some true Ashton gems that we don't oft get to see hereabouts nowadays. 

PURITY IN MOTION (Program 1)

23 – 25 October 2020
FSU Center for the Performing Arts

George Balanchine's Donizetti Variations
Ricardo Graziano's Amorosa
Paul Taylor's Company B

BEYOND EXPRESSION (Program 2)

20 – 21 November 2020
Sarasota Opera House

Sir Frederick Ashton's Birthday Offering
Sir Frederick Ashton's Dante Sonata
Sir David Bintley's The Spider's Feast

ROMEO & JULIET (Program 3)
18 – 19 December 2020
Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall

Sir Frederick Ashton's Romeo & Juliet
Composed by Sergei Prokofiev

Edited by alison
Struck through text which no longer applies
  • Like 7

Guest oncnp
59 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Sarasota Ballet have announced a true 'Heritage' programme for their upcoming Autumn digital season and for which you can buy tickets to watch.  I have a feeling that many hereabouts may want to do so as it features some true Ashton gems that we don't oft get to see hereabouts nowadays. 

The situation is admittedly worse here in the US but the e-mail also states they don't expect the dancers back until January.  

Guest oncnp
49 minutes ago, alison said:

So, is this a prerecorded "digital season", or what?

It sounds like new material....from the e-mail

"While we’re still finalizing the exact programming elements, this newly created  (emphasis mine) Digital Fall Season is something we’re all excited about,” explains Iain Webb, Director of The Sarasota Ballet. “Our aim is to continue to bring breathtaking works to the stage and ensure that we’re keeping the safety of our dancers in mind. Therefore, as we start this new project, we will focus on ballets and works that have smaller casts in order to limit the number of dancers rehearsing together. Additionally, we are continuing to investigate other innovative performance experiences for audience members and patrons of The Sarasota Ballet.”

The Digital Fall Season will emulate as close as possible the traditional experience audience members expect from The Sarasota Ballet. Additionally, the streamed performances will include extra features to bring audience members behind the scenes with special guest interviews and rehearsal clips, and a look into the process of a world premiere. The three programs will be released to ticket holders at approximately the same dates that the three in-theater programs were scheduled to open. The ballets will be filmed with multiple cameras to ensure audiences can see every aspect of the performance. These programs will then be emailed to ticket holders, who can watch the performance at their leisure over a period of time."

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Does anyone know when the tickets for the streamed Sarasota programme will go on sale or about how much they will cost? Sounds a great programme with some really different items in there. 

No specific date in the e-mail. "Full programming details for the October, November, and December programs will be announced in the future."

12 minutes ago, oncnp said:

No specific date in the e-mail. "Full programming details for the October, November, and December programs will be announced in the future."

Thanks oncnp. I'll just have to be patient. It's not as if they're going to sell out!

• alison changed the title to Sarasota Ballet digital season 2020
  • 2 months later...

List of works performed, for those who haven't caught it yet:

-Meditation from Thaïs - first performed by Dame Antoinette Sibley and Sir Anthony Dowell 21 March 1971, to music by Jules Massenet
-Monotones II - first performed by The Royal Ballet 24 March 1965, to music by Erik Satie orchestrated by Claude Debussy and Alexis Roland-Manuel
-Façade, Extracts - first performed by the Camargo Society 26 April 1931, set to William Walton's score originally created as a setting for the poetry of Edith Sitwell
-Romeo & Juliet, Balcony pas de deux - first performed by Royal Danish Ballet 19 May 1955, to music by Serge Prokofiev
-La chatte métamorphosée en femme - first performed by Merle Park 31 March 1985, to music by Jacques Offenbach arranged by Philip Gammon
-The Sleeping Beauty, Vision Solo - first performed by Sadler's Wells Ballet 20 February 1946, to music by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
-Les Patineurs, Extracts - first performed by Vic-Wells Ballet 16 February 1937, to music by Giacomo Meyerbeer arranged by Constant Lambert

I'm trying to re-locate the page which has details of the extras, including the coaching by Anthony Dowell, but can't find it at the moment :(

EDIT: Ah, that's why: the links to the other pages are in the confirmation email.  Suffice it to say that your money also gets you access to the extra content (over an hour of additional footage, including Dowell) and to digital copies of both the programme book for this programme and the (far larger) 30th anniversary programme book.

Thanks, Alison.  I very much enjoyed the programme and look forward to the other two presentations in the subscription series.  I was perhaps a little surprised that there wasn't more comment here about this specific programme - given the Board's dedicated interest in Ashton.  

• 2 weeks later...

Digital Program 2 - 20-24 November 2020

Featuring performances and excerpts of George Balanchine's:

Tarantella - first performed by New York City Ballet 7 January 1964, to music by Louis Moreau Gottschalk reorchestrated by Hershy Kay

The Four Temperaments, Extracts - first performed by Ballet Society 20 November 1946, to music by Paul Hindemith

Donizetti Variations, pas de deux - first performed by New York City Ballet 16 November 1960, to music by Gaetano Donizetti from the opera Don Sebastien

Western Symphony, 2nd Movement (Adagio) - first performed by New York City Ballet 7 September 1954, to an assortment of American folk songs arranged by Hershy Kay

Who Cares?, Extracts - first performed by New York City Ballet 7 February 1970, to music by George Gershwin

Additional content includes rehearsal footage and more to be announced.

Tickets for Digital Program 2 will be on sale until Tuesday, 24 November, at 2:00 PM EST. Upon becoming available to watch, Digital Program 2 can be watched as many times as you would like, until Tuesday, 24 November, at 11:59 PM EST, at which point the Program will no longer be viewable.

https://cart.sarasotaballet.org/digitalprogram2/4850?&promoApplied=true

Edited by oncnp

• 2 weeks later...

Some details of Digital Programme 3 are now available: https://www.sarasotaballet.org/digital-fall-season-2020

Digital Program 3 (from December 18 to December 22)

Featuring performances and excerpts of works including:

·                            Christopher Wheeldon's The American

·                            Sir Matthew Bourne's The Infernal Galop, Merman Solo

·                            Sir Peter Wright's The Mirror Walkers

·                            Sir Peter Wright's Summertide

·                            Dominic Walsh's Clair de Lune

·                            Sir Kenneth MacMillan's Concerto

·                            Ricardo Graziano's Amorosa, pas de deux

Additional one-act ballet and extra content to be announced

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update 

Therefore, today we announce that the remainder of The Sarasota Ballet's 2020-21 Season will be converted to a digitally formatted series of Programs, titled our Digital Winter - Spring Season.

https://www.sarasotaballet.org/digital-winter-spring-season

DIGITAL PROGRAM 3
1 - 5 January 2021
Peter Darrell's Othello
Christopher Wheeldon's The American, Pas de Deux
Sir Matthew Bourne's The Infernal Galop, Merman Solo
Sir Peter Wright's The Mirror Walkers
Sir Peter Wright's Summertide
Sir Kenneth MacMillan's Concerto, Pas de Deux
Dominic Walsh's Clair de Lune
DIGITAL PROGRAM 4
29 January - 2 February 2021
Paul Taylor's Company B
Paul Taylor's Brandenburgs
DIGITAL PROGRAM 5
26 February - 2 March 2021
George Balanchine's Donizetti Variations
Ricardo Graziano's Amorosa
DIGITAL PROGRAM 6
23 - 27 April 2021
George Balanchine's Serenade
Sir Kenneth MacMillan's Elite Syncopations
DIGITAL PROGRAM 7
21 - 25 May 2021
Sir Frederick Ashton's Birthday Offering
Twyla Tharp's Nine Sinatra Songs

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Update 

Therefore, today we announce that the remainder of The Sarasota Ballet's 2020-21 Season will be converted to a digitally formatted series of Programs, titled our Digital Winter - Spring Season.

https://www.sarasotaballet.org/digital-winter-spring-season

DIGITAL PROGRAM 3
1 - 5 January 2021
Peter Darrell's Othello
Sir Peter Wright's Summertide
DIGITAL PROGRAM 4
29 January - 2 February 2021
Paul Taylor's Company B
DIGITAL PROGRAM 5
26 February - 2 March 2021
DIGITAL PROGRAM 6
23 - 27 April 2021
DIGITAL PROGRAM 7
21 - 25 May 2021

Thanks for this. I see that the opening date for Digital Program 3 has shifted from Dec 18 to Jan 1...and Darrell’s Othello replaces Nutcracker pdd, which is ok in my book. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sarasota have just announced booking for Digital Program 3:

Digital Program 3 1 - 5 January 2021

The Sarasota Ballet's Digital Program 3 features:

Peter Darrell's Othello

Excerpts include:

Sir Peter Wright's Summertide, Pas de Quatre

"On the morning of January 1st, all ticket holders will receive a personalized email containing their private link to Digital Program 3 along with links to the Performance Program Book, our 30th Anniversary Season Program Book, and a tutorial video on connecting your internet device to your television.

If tickets are purchased after the morning of the 1st, you will receive these links via email several minutes after time of purchase. Tickets for Digital Program 3 will be on sale until Tuesday, 5 January, at 6:00 PM EST.

Upon becoming available to watch, Digital Program 3 can be watched as many times as you would like, until Tuesday, 5 January, at 11:59 PM EST, at which point the Program will no longer be viewable. Make sure you enjoy it before then!"

https://www.sarasotaballet.org/events/digital-program-3

I shall be very interested to see not only Darrell's Othello, but also Wright's The Mirror Walkers and Summertide, of which I have heard quite a lot in the past.

• Like 1

Goodness me. Just watched Sarasota’s Program 3 and am in seventh heaven. So many delightful rarities and discoveries in this...not least of all the Pas de Quatre from Peter Wright’s Summertide, in and of itself worth the price of admission. This entire show is so well filmed and danced...hands down the best of the three digital programs from the troupe thus far. BRAVI tutti!  

What a way to begin 2021. 

• Like 4

A fascinating and very unusual programme.  Was very pleased to see the Darrell Othello after all these years, even if it was a bit disconcerting  to see other choreography to music I would usually associate with Mayerling!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And now, announcing the Winter-Spring season:

"Continuing on from the Company's inaugural Digital Fall Season, The Sarasota Ballet will be offering unique and specially filmed performances that ticket buyers can stream from the comfort of their homes. These digital experiences will replace in-theater performances for the Programs 4 through 7 of the 30th Anniversary Season. The priority of The Sarasota Ballet is to safeguard audience members, dancers, and staff from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. These filmed performances allow the Company to continue to bring the enjoyment of dance to every home this season.

The Digital Winter - Spring Season is purposely designed to deliver the artistic excellence audience members expect from The Sarasota Ballet. Each program will be filmed with multiple cameras so that, no matter from where you are streaming, you have the best seat in the house. These digital performances will then be emailed to ticket holders, who can watch the performance at their leisure during a period of time.

Digital Program 4

Created by Paul Taylor and first performed by his Paul Taylor Dance Company in April of 1988, Brandenburgs brings to life selections from Johann Sebastian Bach's famed Brandenburg Concertos in a radiant, purely musical endeavor. The Sarasota Ballet was the first professional ballet company (other than the Paul Taylor Dance Company) to perform this work on its Company Premiere in January of 2020.

Paul Taylor's Company B
Company B
, another Paul Taylor creation first performed by the Paul Taylor Dance Company in June of 1991, serves as a grim reminder of American soldiers' fates during the Second World War. The ballet juxtaposes the colorful and effervescent dances of young lovers, set to the songs of the Andrews Sisters, against a background of soldiers' silhouettes collapsing against the horrors of conflict.

Digital Program 5

Balanchine created Donizetti Variations, named after composer Gaetano Donizetti whose music for the opera Don Sebastian is featured in the ballet, to mark the 100th anniversary of Italy's unification. New York City Ballet premiered this "cheerful and sunny work" alongside La Sonnambula and Monumentum Pro Gesualdo in November 1960 as part of "Salute to Italy," celebrating the Italian centennial event.

A January 2019 ballet by The Sarasota Ballet's Resident Choreographer Ricardo Graziano, Amorosa sets five couples clad in crimson and black to extracts from Antonio Vivaldi's Cello Concertos. This performance marks the first occasion for which Amorosa has been performed since its World Premiere.

Digital Program 6

An earlier Balanchine creation - in fact, his first ballet choreographed in America, Serenade was initially performed in June of 1934 by students of the School of American Ballet; after several revisions, it would see its official professional premiere with the American Ballet in March of 1935. Blue-costumed dancers, set against a blue background, gracefully interact through four movements of a score composed by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

This 1974 production first performed by The Royal Ballet demonstrates MacMillan in his most playful choreographic space; dancers engage one another in a mock "dance concert" set to rollicking ragtime music by Scott Joplin and others. Delightfully gaudy costumes designed by Ian Spurling infuse the ballet with a garish twist of joy, bringing a splash of colorful splendor to this relentlessly fun affair.

Digital Program 7

A rich and sumptuous display, Ashton's Birthday Offering was crafted as a pièce d'occasion for The Royal Ballet's 25th anniversary in May of 1956. Seven couples, in elegant costumes by André Levasseur, make a grand entrance to music by Alexander Glazunov, arranged by Robert Irving, then perform a dazzling series of solo variations, a bravura mazurka, and an enrapturing pas de deux, all concluding on a waltz for the entire ensemble.

Nine Sinatra Songs
saw its premiere in October of 1982 by Twyla Tharp Dance, set to many of Frank Sinatra's most popular tunes. Like the thoroughly classical Birthday Offering preceding it, Nine Sinatra Songs features seven couples, but there the similarities end; dancers swing and tango through Sinatra's music, giving physical form to the tales of life and love so intimately woven by the legendary vocalist."

https://www.sarasotaballet.org/events/subscribe-digital-winter-spring-season

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • alison changed the title to Sarasota Ballet digital season 2020/21

Sadly, I don't seem to be able to get at it: I've been trying to book since last night, but the site isn't accepting any of my likely passwords, and though I've asked for a password reset several times no email has arrived :(  A shame, because I've always loved Company B, and I get to see so little Paul Taylor.

20 minutes ago, alison said:

Sadly, I don't seem to be able to get at it: I've been trying to book since last night, but the site isn't accepting any of my likely passwords, and though I've asked for a password reset several times no email has arrived :(  A shame, because I've always loved Company B, and I get to see so little Paul Taylor.

Oh no! Have you tried calling tech support at 941.363.1164?

Hi Alison, I'm so sorry to see that you've had problems with our site. You shouldn't need to sign up or enter a password to purchase tickets, however, if you send me an email at jettore@sarasotaballet.org I'd be more than happy to organize a link to be sent to you so that you don't miss out on this program.

Sincerely,

- Jason Ettore (Marketing Director for The Sarasota Ballet)

• Like 2

Thank you Jan and Sim for your kind words about the Company. I know that Iain and Margaret would LOVE to bring The Sarasota Ballet to the UK, hopefully a theatre hears this and helps sponsor a tour!

I'll try not to make my shadowy lurking too obvious!

• Like 6

On 01/02/2021 at 19:39, Ettore said:

Hi Alison, I'm so sorry to see that you've had problems with our site. You shouldn't need to sign up or enter a password to purchase tickets, however, if you send me an email at jettore@sarasotaballet.org I'd be more than happy to organize a link to be sent to you so that you don't miss out on this program.

Sincerely,

- Jason Ettore (Marketing Director for The Sarasota Ballet)

Dear Jason

Thank you, that's very kind of you.  Unfortunately, my computer is recovering from a very nasty crash yesterday, and I'm still having problems, so I don't think I'll be able to manage it anyway.