San Francisco Ballet - streaming - feedback thread

Anima Animus:

It really is a fantastic ballet - I attended the premiere in San Francisco and it was so utterly beautiful I cried. But watching Sofiane Sylve live again and in a David Dawson ballet was not to be missed. She has always been one of my favourite ballerina's - and I'm so pleased she's returning to Europe, I plan on travelling to Germany - lots! Hopefully this brilliant ballet will encourage people to check out David Dawson's ballet's it future. One our most talented artists along with Cathy Marston, and I hope to see lots more of his amazing ballet's.

Edited by Jan McNulty
edited to add ballet title for new feedback thread
  • Like 1

Hmm, I liked this showing rather more than it seems I did when I watched it at Sadler's Wells last year.  Possibly the change in casting may have made a difference.  Or maybe just absence making the heart grow fonder ...  The more petite of the ballerinas was, as I had suspected, Maria Kochetkova, who I thought was excellent as well.

This week's ballet is Let's Begin at the End, choreographed by Dwight Rhoden with music by Bach, Philip Glass and Michael Nyman.

This was a new one on me but I really enjoyed it.  The Unbound festival in 2018 must have been incredible!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, charliewise said:

The Unbound festival in 2018 must have been incredible!

they performed many of the pieces from 'Unbound' when they visited Sadlers Wells last summer - and incredible it was indeed! 🙂

Sadly, the theatre wasn't packed out as to my mind it deserved to be - probably a poorly timed visit, coinciding with the end of the RB season, plus lots happening elsewhere at the same time. I hope next time they come to London they take this sort of thing into account

• Like 1

Loved Your Flesh... in general but was extremely impressed by the leading dancer, Benjamin Fremantle, in the final two songs. So touching. Too, I was absolutely taken by the music by Chris Garneau. There’s nothing like a traditionally tuneful score to take a ballet over the finish line!

So far, I’ve loved this one and Anima Animus the most, among SFB’s digital offerings. Very grateful for the opportunity to see them all, whether I like them or not. Bring them on!

• Like 3

Another piece that we saw when SFB visited Sadlers Wells - Infinite Ocean (by Edwaard Liang). And another winner for me! Danced to the backdrop of the rising sun (or so it looked to me anyway), the 12 dancers (2 main couples and a corps) danced some impressive choreography to music by Oliver Davis. Described as "hovering in the space between life and death, when spirits must let go of whatever ties them to the physical world. It’s a time he calls ‘the awakening' " - according to the choreographer, it worked for me!

• Like 1

I've only watched 2 of SFB's streamed performances and I have loved both of them.

I loved David Dawson's Anima Animus with it's eloquent and fluid choreography.

This morning I watched Edward Liang's The Infinite Ocean and was swept away by its beauty.  It is for 6 couples - 3 of them have duets.  The opening sequence really gave the impression of the ocean lapping (fairly gently) at the beach with the dancers gathered in a cluster and moving their arms.  I thought all 3 duets within the work were lovely and it was great to see ex-BRB favourite Tiit Helimets in the first one.  In the end all the couples are together and they gradually disappear over the back of the stage, possibly the tide going out.  One dancer is left and she leaps over - a surfer?

I would love to see both of these ballets live.

• Like 2

I totally agree with you, Jan. An extremely  moving, powerful work of art. Yuan Yuan Tan must possess the most lyrical and expressive instrument (physique) for ballet on earth! She may be petite but she registers “long.”  I can only imagine her Odette or Nikita

• Like 3

I loved Edward Liang's ballet - specifically because it featured my favourite, Sofiane Sylve in a wonderful pdd with the strong reliable Tiits Helimets. She displayed yet again why she is so admired. It was a refreshing and light hearted piece - enjoyable in the fact that no deep thinking or analysis was necessary. You could just sit back and enjoy the beautiful dancing. I particularly loved the quirky ending with Yuan Yuan Tan. I will definitely watch this again.

• Like 1

Between this latest offering (Infinite Ocean), Anima Animus & Your Flesh Shall Be a Great Poem, San Francisco has truly been “bringing it” during this COVID-19 season! (What else to call it? - “the spring 2020 situation season”?)

I didn’t particularly like Pacific NWBallet’s first stream - too modern for my taste - but they’ll be making up for it with next week’s historical Giselle (that one by donation).

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

I have just watched and enjoyed their R and J. I thought there were some good things in it - particularly liked Tybalt wiping his sword  after killing Mercutio, and I liked the way the Nurse was shown as a woman who had probably been more responsible for Juliet's upbringing than Lady C. I also like the idea of Tybalt 's body being in the tomb - not sure why this was dropped by the RB.  The crowd scenes looked a bit cramped, I don't know if it's a particularly small stage. I still prefer Macmillan, but this was pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...