Birmingham Royal Ballet - streaming performances comments

Here is a bit of an email I received:

We hope that you are still keeping safe and well during this challenging period of time.

We continue to create new content through our Home From Home initiative and re-share some of our favourites from past years to help keep you entertained in these difficult months.

The latest piece we would like to share premieres tomorrow (29 April) at 11am to mark International Dance Day.

Company dancers Kit Holder and Tom Rogers have created Alone|Together, a beautiful piece of isolation dance and music, featuring five members of the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, six of their fellow dancers, Assistant Director Marion Tait and Artistic Director Carlos Acosta.

You can watch this and all our other Home From Home creations on our website or you can keep up to date by following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

We are incredibly grateful to everyone who has supported our #BeRightBack fundraising appeal. Over £19,000 has been donated to help continue our work during these unprecedented times. For more details of this appeal please see below.

Stay safe and look out for one another.

The link to the performance, which starts shortly https://www.brb.org.uk/home-from-home

• Like 3

Very cleverly done and beautiful to watch. The dancing, the instrumental playing and the production are so professional and skilful. Congratulations to all and thank you for providing balm for the soul in these difficult times.

• Like 3

Some wonderful dancing from them all but for me the highlight was the beautiful dancing of Marion Tait; in her time one of the very best ballerinas in Britain, so versatile and such a powerful actor but rarely recognised for her exceptional qualities as she wasn't with the Covent Garden based section of the Royal. And since then she has contributed as much to SWRB/BRB as any of their directors. It was wonderful that her contribution to ballet was recently recognised by a life-time award.

• Like 9

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Birmingham Royal Ballet - Alone I Together - streaming performance comments

This was so full of joy it's quite set me up for the rest of the day.

I agree 110% with Sheila about Marion Tait.  I consider myself so very privileged to have seen her performing since I started watching ballet in 1984 - I was going to say in her prime but, of course, she still is!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

This was so full of joy it's quite set me up for the rest of the day.

I agree 110% with Sheila about Marion Tait.  I consider myself so very privileged to have seen her performing since I started watching ballet in 1984 - I was going to say in her prime but, of course, she still is!!

Make her a Dame!

• Like 4

Did anyone else like me love the inspired choice of music, Gustav Holst's Moorside Suite? Beautifully optimistic music to match the optimistic mood of the film. Does anyone know of any other ballets that have been created to the music of Holst?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, George C said:

The only ballet danced to music by Holst that I can think of is in the opera The Perfect Fool. I would have thought that someone somewhere has used The Planets but I am not aware of it. 

David Bintley for the Royal Ballet in the early nineties

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

BRB also had a choreographic event that used the Planets with guest choreographer Rosie Kay doing a wonderful Mars and David Bintley using his Venus from the work created for RB.  That was certainly an evening to remember.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

And I think Antony Tudor made a version for Ballet Rambert. 

In Bintley's version, there were some really beautiful moments (Bryony Brind in Venus springs to mind) iand although it didn't get a brilliant critical reception, in part due to the complicated set breaking down at the premiere, it was, to my mind, far more successful than many new ballets we have seen at Covent Garden since. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Birmingham Royal Ballet - streaming performances comments