Stuttgart Ballet: Mayerling - and other streamed performances

I may not be a huge fan of Brahms, but I thought this was absolutely delightful, and am so glad to have seen it.  It wasn't at all what I'd expected (which had been, understandably, four principals and ... whatever else) but how good to see the classical ballet vocabulary being used in such an imaginative and innovative way - and how much sadder that its creator was lost to the ballet world such a short time afterwards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I thought Initials RBME was a total delight, I loved everything about it.

I don't know if it is Lockdown Syndrome but I could feel tears welling up in parts.

No, I don't think it's Lockdown Syndrome! It's such a beautiful ballet, tells us so much about love, friendship, trust, fun etc. I think the most similar is DAAG - my idea,of heaven would probably be the two shown together! Not good for the dancers maybe, but that's something we don't need to think about in our fantasy programming!

• Like 4

I really, really enjoyed this piece and am so pleased to have had the chance to see it.

I had two regrets though.  As I am unfamiliar with the company, my loss indeed, and was watching it on a pretty small screen, I was sorry that the two Principal ladies were not in more easily distinguishable colours.

However, the second and far more significant regret is that we have so few chances to see Cranko's choreography and the Stuttgart company in general.  I remember so clearly seeing Haydee and Cragun in Cranko's pas de deux Homage à Bolshoi, music by Glazanov. I would so love to see it again.  It's very reminiscent of the first act mirror pas de deux in Onegin.  They were something very special indeed.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

However, the second and far more significant regret is that we have so few chances to see Cranko's choreography and the Stuttgart company in general.  I remember so clearly seeing Haydee and Cragun in Cranko's pas de deux Homage à Bolshoi, music by Glazanov. I would so love to see it again.  It's very reminiscent of the first act mirror pas de deux in Onegin.  They were something very special indeed.

I just found a very blurry extract from this on YouTube.  I'm afraid that, not only is the quality of the recording dreadful, but there's  a watermark for a software company across the middle of it.  Still, I assume it's better than nothing!

Edited to add that I've just watched it and found that the watermark disappears around a minute into the extract.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I just found a very blurry extract from this on YouTube.  I'm afraid that, not only is the quality of the recording dreadful, but there's  a watermark for a software company across the middle of it.  Still, I assume it's better than nothing!

Bluebird, thank you so much.  Far better than nothing.  Xxxx

I watched it this afternoon and am so glad I did - only a few hours left to catch it!

I agree with all the praise above and would only add that the choreography for the corps is wonderfully interesting and fresh.

Edited by Lizbie1
Missing words
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 16/11/2020 at 17:42, Angela said:

Stuttgart Ballet streams three ballets of "Angels and Demons", a quadruple bill that should have premiered in May 2020, was postponed to November 2020 and now has been postponed until further notice because of the new lockdown in Germany (actually, it’s supposed to be a "lockdown light", but theatres are closed). The online premiere will take place on Friday, 27. November 19.00 CET, it’s online until Sunday, 29. November 22.00 CET. The company thanks Jirí Kylián and the Roland Petit estate for the rights to stream the ballets - as we all thank the choreographers worldwide who were and are so kind to concede the rights to so many online ballets.

Angels and Demons

Falling Angels

Choreography Jiří Kylián

Music Steve Reich

Petite Mort (Stuttgart Premiere)

Choreography Jiří Kylián

Music Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Le Jeune Homme et la Mort (Stuttgart Premiere)

Choreography Roland Petit

Music Johann Sebastian Bach

on www.stuttgart-ballet.de and Stuttgart Ballet’s YouTube Channel

I watched this and thoroughly enjoyed all 3 ballets.   It’s a rare opportunity now to watch digital programmes free, for which I’d like to thank Stuttgart.  

• Like 5

• alison changed the title to Stuttgart Ballet: Mayerling - and other streamed performances

Yes, I've just watched it and been quite absorbed.  I've never liked Petite Mort when I've seen it from a distance in the theatre, but seeing it close up (thanks to the marvellous Frau Detrich again) was quite an eyeopener - as was Le Jeune Homme et la Mort.  Rather less keen on Falling Angels, though. 

I've just realised that most of our feedback on previous Stuttgart streamings was in the thread in News, so I've renamed this thread and will move the feedback over to here.

• Like 2

Yes, I did rather like the Le Jeune Homme too - not at all a bad performance for a young dancer (Ciro Ernesto Mansilla from Argentina) who actually hasn’t been with Stuttgart Ballet that long. He only joined the season before last. Since then he has impressed the local audience as a very lively dancer who really puts his heart into the role, never mind the occasional overacting or unusual step. But then, he is still young. and this was the first night. I thought the casting very successful with Hyo Jung Kang, a very experienced and strong first soloist as the femme fatale, a truly fiendish seductress. Between the two of them they developed a lot of drama.

I also enjoyed the two Jiri Kylian pieces: Falling Angels, too with its driving percussion and subtle shifts of movement in the music and the choreography, but perhaps that one’s more to the German taste, at least it always seems to be quite popular here. Petite Morte I really admire though, and thought the PDD with Elisa Badenes and Jason Reilly outstanding. Only the lighting was a bit dark. Or was it because I was watching on my laptop computer? Anyway, I couldn’t really make out the black dress half-shells against the black background at the end.

• Like 2