Sylvia and other streamings - Vienna State Ballet

If you are in need of a Sylvia fix, there is a free streaming of this production today 7.00 pm Vienna time. Available for 24 hours.

However you need to register and set up a login and password.  Then purchase a free ticket.  A little bit fiddly but worth it.  

https://www.culturall.com/ticket/ists/performance_schedule.mc?view=month&year=2020&type=month_menu&process_mode=normal

A big day with Mayerling as well. Might be a bit of a juggling act.

Edited by stucha
  • Like 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JNC said:

Thanks very much for sharing! I'm presuming this version will be quite different to Ashton's? 

Yes. Different. Choreography by Manuel Legris based on the original Paris Opera production by Merante and subsequent 20th century versions. The sets by Luisa Spinatelli are very lavish. I'll be interested to hear what you think if you manage to see it.

17 minutes ago, alison said:

Okay, so that's me trying to fit in a Mayerling, Midsummer Night's Dream and Sylvia all within 24 hours :) 

Sylvia is available for 72 hours, not 24 as I posted above.

While different choreography to that of Ashton, it follows the same story line.

Edited by stucha
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, stucha said:

Yes. Different. Choreography by Manuel Legris based on the original Paris Opera production by Merante and subsequent 20th century versions. The sets by Luisa Spinatelli are very lavish. I'll be interested to hear what you think if you manage to see it.

I did manage to catch this and I was very glad I did! Thank you for highlighting this on the forum.

The sets and costumes were very lavish as you say, very impressive and opulent (but in an elegant, refined way). The dancing and choreography were excellent. I hope Vienna releases some more live streams as I would certainly watch them based on the quality of this performance. 

Highly recommended to all. 

(I can't compare with the Royal Ballet/Ashton version as I haven't seen that...but now I'm very tempted to get the Royal Ballet DVD of this one if it's anything like this!) 

• Like 2

@JNC. So glad you enjoyed it.  They do have live streams from time to time but in normal circumstances they charge about €15.

You can find snippets of Ashton's Sylvia on YouTube which give you a taste of the production and which might sway you towards getting the DVD.  Or not as the case may be. 😀

• Like 1

This is a really wonderful production - lovely start to my Easter Sunday! Thanks so much for the link and recommendation 🙂

I've only seen Sylvia once before - on the Royal Ballet DVD a few years ago when I first started watching ballet. Will definitely re-visit and keep an eye out for other productions. A beautiful ballet!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, alison said:

It may well be, but I can't access it now :(  Bah!

It must have been taken down just before you looked, because I only finished watching it just over an hour ago.

I thought the production was lovely but I didn't find the plot very interesting. I've not seen Ashton's, apart from a snippet at the Fonteyn Gala last June, so don't know if he manages to make it any more interesting.

53 minutes ago, alison said:

And oh joy - there's another Mayerling on Tuesday :) 

From where? Evidently not Vienna, as their Tuesday stream is listed as Swan Lake.

6 hours ago, alison said:

Sorry you missed it. Not sure why it wasn't available.

But if you are willing to fork out €5 it is available in their video on demand section now. See link below. Scroll down.

https://www.culturall.com/ticket/ists/performance_schedule.mc?view=month&tab_seq_id=32206637&type=month_menu&process_mode=normal

10 hours ago, alison said:

It's still there,  Alison.  I just accessed it....

https://www.staatsoperlive.com/0/ad6dd783-42a8-4975-a92a-d23f9a033544/player

Edited to add that this might be because I watched it yesterday.  I just put the link above into another browser and wasn't able to access it there.  It seems only to be available to those who've already accessed it.  Sorry to get your hopes up.

Edited by Bluebird

8 hours ago, stucha said:

But if you are willing to fork out €5 it is available in their video on demand section now. See link below. Scroll down.

https://www.culturall.com/ticket/ists/performance_schedule.mc?view=month&tab_seq_id=32206637&type=month_menu&process_mode=normal

Thanks, stucha.  I might just do that ...

So, looking at the list of VODs, I see some which are scheduled to come up later in the month.  It would seem that you are either entitled to watch them free of charge at the time when they are streamed, or can access them for €5 if you want to watch them at a different time, in which case you are entitled to watch them for 7 days after payment.  Sounds good!  Wonder if the ROH could set up anything similar?

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Sylvia and other streamings - Vienna State Opera Ballet
15 hours ago, alison said:

Alternatively, it's currently scheduled again for 17th May, I see.

@alisonJust be careful here. 

Bear in mind that there are no  live performances at Vienna at the moment. The performance on 17 May is livestream of an actual performance which will probably not take place and will cost €15 or so if it does.

As you pointed out above it appears they are still selling performances. But if you try to buy, the site blocks the sale.

For the free streams stick to this list

https://www.culturall.com/ticket/ists/performance_schedule.mc?view=month&year=2020&type=month_menu&process_mode=normal

For video on demand which cost €5, this list

If you are interested in accessing these streams always remember to register in advance and get your ticket. Don't leave it till the stream is happening.

Edited by stucha
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, stucha said:

@alisonJust be careful here. 

Bear in mind that there are no  live performances at Vienna at the moment. The performance on 17 May is livestream of an actual performance which will probably not take place and will cost €15 or so if it does.

Ah.  I hadn't realised that.  It's very confusing, because everything is marked as "Live-Übertragung", even when dated from several years previously!  (Possibly they mean "live" as in you need to be watching at a specific time to view it?)  Although I notice that if you go into May it now says "Internetbuchung gesperrt", which it didn't last time I looked.  And I still don't know what I'm going to see tonight: Mayerling or Swan Lake?  Mayerling is still showing ...

Incidentally, I see there's an option to book a subscription for a whole month, for substantially less than the cost of a few livestreams.  Possibly something to consider when life eventually gets back to normal.

It does, doesn't it?  Oh well, I haven't seen the Nureyev production for years, anyway.  The streaming page clearly needs updating: it's still stating that all performances are cancelled until 3rd April!

How do you access picture and volume controls?  I want to get it full-screen, so I don't have to keep sliding the slider up and down.

Never mind, I've just realised there was another slider, and that's the one you have to slide up and down to get at the controls.

• alison changed the title to Sylvia and other streamings - Vienna State Ballet

things have changed on the Vienna opera site since I last looked.

For the free streams you no longer need to register and get a ticket. The link now takes you straight to youtube.

But for the paid streams the procedure remains the same.

Very confusing

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 13:00, alison said:

That must have been literally overnight, then, because it still looked normal when I looked yesterday (although it had moved to saying "Schwanensee", but still had a Mayerling photo up :) )

It may be to do with when your browser is updated. I haven't seen this particular site, but know that is the case for certain others.

I'm baffled by the Wiener Staatsoper's site. I signed up for it in mid-March & have had absolutely no problems using it (apart from yesterday's Nutcracker, which played fine but the picture looked like it had an interlacing issue throughout). I just go to https://www.staatsoperlive.com/live, select the video I want & watch it. However a few days ago my mother tried to sign up to the site, kept getting redirected to https://www.culturall.com & was unable to access any videos. When I tried with my login on her computer I had the same problem, though it works fine on my computer. Has anyone else had this issue?

Very much enjoyed the Armide/Sacre streaming last night. My knowledge of it was nil and it took me a while to sort out who was who. Sacre is a highly imaginative version, especially from the point of view of lighting, and I thought the whole ballet was extremely well danced. It has made me even more keen to see Hamburg's Neumeir offerings. I've only seen his Midsummer Night's Dream on stage, so the chance to see more is welcome.