• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A new stream from Vienna State Ballet:

Livestream of the premiere on 14 November 2021, free of charge via

play.wiener-staatsoper.at

im siebten himmel (In the Seventh Heaven)

Martin Schläpfer / Marco Goecke (New Work) / George Balanchine

Premiere 14 November 2021, 7 pm, Vienna State Opera

The dance universes created by Marco Goecke get under your skin. In his feverish and fluttering movement vocabulary, the dancers’ bodies act as if they have been filled with a high voltage current. Now Martin Schläpfer has succeeded in engaging the choreographer considered one of the most interesting artists within the international ballet landscape to work together with the Vienna State Ballet for the very first time – in a world premiere to excerpts from Gustav Mahler’s 5th Symphony.

The programme opens with Marsch, Walzer, Polka to music by the Strauß family – a thrilling homage to waltz dreams and the ecstasy of dance in which Martin Schläpfer also explores in an intricate manner what it is that we generally associate with the notion of »Vienna«. The work that was created in 2006 is now presented at the Vienna State Opera in a new design: Susanne Bisovsky, whose experimental works influenced by historical Tracht probe the boundaries between tradition and the avant-garde in a most congenial way, is responsible for the stage and costumes.

George Balanchine’s Symphony in C, staged by the former New York City Ballet ballerina Patricia Neary, brings the Vienna State Ballet’s programme Im siebten Himmel to a splendid and festive finale.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

When clicking on the link I get a request to install the Vienna Staatsoper app - which appears not to be available in the UK. Is there a way around this?

The same thing happened with me (message of the app not available in Japan) , but I had the app pre-installed and when I opened the app it became available. 

And with my PC I could watch this (log in is necessary)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/11/2021 at 19:44, Naomi M said:

A reminder that the above Vienna State Ballet’s program is currently streamed for 72 hours.

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/event/5c0fcbf7-b409-49fb-978c-824060c68ec6

I caught the “new lockdown” repetition of this program yesterday. Fantastic! Schlaepfer’s Marsch, Walter, Polka is a fresh and witty look at favorites from the Strauss family, with truly ingenious costumes, some based on Hungarian folkloric dresses. I’ll never think the same way as before when hearing the Radetzky March at the annual New Year concerts from the Musikverein!

Balanchine’s Symphony in C was neatly rendered by the Vienna dancers & magnificently filmed.

I’m looking forward to the Dec 4 “new lockdown repeat” of the September 21 stream…Balanchine’s Symphony in Three Movements among three works to be shown for free.

DEC 4 @ 19:00 CET:  TANZE BILDER SINFONIEN 

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/?fbclid=IwAR2q41MDKNQUidIlNvMsyIVXKXhDnaD_Ur7d9izjNZoHY4l7MBdl09KBjHs

I registered to the channel for free (“bitte app instalieren” button). It was easier to do from a regular computer than from my mobile phone.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Another live stream of a premiere from Vienna:

die jahreszeiten (world premiere)
Premiere 30 April 2022, 6.30 pm, Vienna State Opera
Live stream of the premiere free of charge at play.wiener-staatsoper.at

Music The Seasons. Oratorio for Soprano, Tenor, Bass, mixed choir and orchestra Hob. XXI:3 by Joseph Haydn
Text Gottfried van Swieten after James Thomson’s The Seasons
Choreography Martin Schläpfer
Musical Direction Giovanni Antonini
Stage & costumes Mylla Ek
Lighting Thomas Diek
Chorus Master Erwin Ortner
Vocal Soloists Slávka Zámecníková (Hanne), Josh Lovell (Lukas) and Martin Häßler (Simon)
Vienna State Ballet
Arnold Schoenberg Choir
Orchestra of the Vienna State Opera

The course of the year as a metaphor for life: In The Seasons the aged Joseph Haydn composed a large-scale secular oratorio about how mankind is integrated into the cycle of nature. Scenes bursting with life are placed next to gripping musical descriptions of nature, catchy melodies next to thoughtful reflections on transience, vast oratorio scenes alongside folkloric songs.

Haydn’s The Seasons have accompanied Martin Schläpfer for about 25 years and hence he decided for his second season with the Vienna State Ballet to bring it to stage as a full-length ballet – together with soloists from the vocal ensemble, the Orchestra of the Vienna State Opera and the Arnold Schoenberg Choir rehearsed by Erwin Ortner. We were able to win the renowned Italian Maestro Giovanni Antonini for the musical direction. The Maestro from Milan is a founding member and conductor of the baroque ensemble Il Giardino Armonico as well as Principal Guest Conductor with the Mozarteum Orchestra Salzburg and The Basel Chamber Orchestra. The Swedish artist Mylla Ek is responsible for the design of the stage and costumes. She has abstracted a stage space from the form of a conch shell as an image of home that changes in keeping with the season.
Martin Schläpfer about The Seasons: »I had only got to know Haydn as a composer relatively late, in the 90s, by reading Alfred Brendel’s musical thoughts. I was delighted by The Seasons, which enchanted me with its beauty and power, and its text that still touches and moves me now and which is so humble, so pure – and yet is able to celebrate so heartily, praise so devoutly and mourn so deeply. It comes crawling up from of another time with a different pace – but one that was real and that surrounds the work with a deeply human fluidity.«
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 17/12/2023 at 16:37, Don Q Fan said:

Vienna State ballet will livestream their new tripe bill - Shifting Symmetries on 27 December at 6pm UK time 7pm CET.

Hans van Manen - Concertante

Forsythe  - In the Middle Somewhat Elevated

Balanchine - Brahms Schonberg Quartet.

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/

That's a wonderful combination of ballets! The Balanchine ballet is joyous fun!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

All of which makes the tedious selection we get over here seem even more dire.

Concertante and In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated have been performed at Sadler's Wells a very long time ago, by different companies, so they are both due a revival!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Concertante and In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated have been performed at Sadler's Wells a very long time ago, by different companies, so they are both due a revival!

True to a point, although it seems increasingly the case that the longer the gap since the last performance, the less likelihood of the work ever being revived here in the UK. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I am definitely getting old because In the Middle was performed there less than six years ago - sadly no longer "a very long time ago" in my book.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 16:40, Emeralds said:

If only NYCB could bring BSQ here, @Scheherezade. Sigh. 

Oh I do wish NYCB were bringing just Balanchine. I don't like their newer stuff much. We are starved of Mr B in the UK. I'm toying with returning my Sadlers Wells ticket as I only want to see the Balanchine piece not interested in the rest, hardly worth the bother of train cost/travel to get to London and for such a short piece.  Poor show from NYCB imho or whoever decided the rep. 

• Like 5

On 17/12/2023 at 11:37, Don Q Fan said:

Vienna State ballet will livestream their new tripe bill - Shifting Symmetries on 27 December at 6pm UK time 7pm CET.

Hans van Manen - Concertante

Forsythe  - In the Middle Somewhat Elevated

Balanchine - Brahms Schonberg Quartet.

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/

This is the casting and credits:

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/event/b1a1d6a0-266e-47ea-ab76-e47e347991c6/cast

Apparently, the Forsyth will not be shown (although we’ve seen it performed recently in other COVID-era streams, including one from Paris). Glad to see the Van Manen and Balanchine works… and Brahms/Schoenberg is one of my greats!

• Like 2

I wondered about the Forsythe piece too, seems odd they won't show that as it's not the last piece so what will they show while that's playing on stage? I hope it's just an ommission in the information as I was looking forward to seeing it again! 

• Like 1

I have just seen on the website that the Forsythe can't/won't be streamed as generally Forsythe is only allowed to be done live/in person/theatre. What a shame! Thank goodness the Balanchine will be shown though and I'm interested to see the vanManen too. 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s amazing that Forsyth allowed the streaming of IN THE MIDDLE… at POB. Perhaps it was due to the COVID era?

The Van Manen piece is in an interesting double-bill DVD by the Bavarian State Ballet. The Balanchine is a rarity, rarely filmed and broadcasted (the 1st movement shown in a NYCB COVID stream; the full ballet in a POB Balanchine 3ple bill pre-COVID).

On 21/12/2023 at 17:24, Jeannette said:

It’s amazing that Forsyth allowed the streaming of IN THE MIDDLE… at POB. Perhaps it was due to the COVID era?

The Van Manen piece is in an interesting double-bill DVD by the Bavarian State Ballet. The Balanchine is a rarity, rarely filmed and broadcasted (the 1st movement shown in a NYCB COVID stream; the full ballet in a POB Balanchine 3ple bill pre-COVID).

The Forsythe work aired by POB a couple of years ago was VERTIGINOUS THRILL OF EXACTITUDE.

IN THE MIDDLE…aired in Russia when the Mariinsky performed it (Kondaurova prominently featured). Just double-checked my catalogue!