Sylvia and other streamings - Vienna State Ballet

Alison , I find their website confusing to say the least. I took out a subscription in December and watch it through my tv via Amazon Fire stick, where it appears as Wiener Staatsoper Live at Home with the www address you give. I think as I subscribe it takes me straight to the calendar page. According to the wiener-staatsoper.at website it looks,as though you may have to register (free). I sympathise - I have been unable to see any of the offerings by the Dutch National,Ballet. I'm on a particularly steep learning curve with all of these wonderful ways of seeing things, but let's hope we get there in the end!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, alison said:

HOW do you get at it, please?  I'm logged in at https://www.staatsoperlive.com/, but still can't find it.  The "Free" and "Browse" buttons don't seem to do anything.

Here's the direct link. They don't make it easy to find

• Like 2

I also find the site quite frustrating. 

This link is the one that usually works for me https://www.staatsoperlive.com/calendar or https://www.culturall.com/ticket/ists/performance_schedule.mc 

It is very user unfriendly and find myself going through several links/redirections to actually view a broadcast! I also found it quite confusing that the video trailer for The Nutcracker on one site actually featuring Raymonda, so I was looking forward to seeing Raymonda and then realised it was The Nutcracker (I thought the title was a bit suspicious, I suppose Raymonda is the same in any language...)! 

Whilst I found Sylvia absolutely delightful I got on less well with the Armide/Sacre double bill. I think for Armide part of the problem was I didn't really understand the story/know enough about the characters to really understand it, I wish there was a synopsis somewhere! And for Sacre, I know it is unfair to compare but after seeing Pina Bausch's version this didn't really strike me in the same way, perhaps if it was the first time I was seeing Rite of Spring I would have felt differently (or perhaps not, I had a feeling from Armide that perhaps I am not a big fan of the choreographer to be honest). 

I am looking forward to the upcoming Le Corsaire and would gladly see Sylvia again. I also hope that Raymonda becomes available. They seem to have very lavish costumes and sets in Vienna, so it all looks very beautiful, the performances are very high quality. 

I found the Vienna Nutcracker interesting when I watched it the other day. I've seen various doublings of roles in different productions but this is the first one I have seen th have Drosselmeyer & the Prince played by the same dancer. I found myself wondering what Freud would make of Clara dreaming about being romanced by a younger version of her elderly godfather! Unfortunately I had what looked like an interlacing issue with the picture for the Nutcracker so movement looked rather odd. I've not had this for any of the other Vienna streams I've watched (over 20 of them) so I don't know why that one had an issue.

19 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I found the Vienna Nutcracker interesting when I watched it the other day. I've seen various doublings of roles in different productions but this is the first one I have seen th have Drosselmeyer & the Prince played by the same dancer. I found myself wondering what Freud would make of Clara dreaming about being romanced by a younger version of her elderly godfather! Unfortunately I had what looked like an interlacing issue with the picture for the Nutcracker so movement looked rather odd. I've not had this for any of the other Vienna streams I've watched (over 20 of them) so I don't know why that one had an issue.

Particularly like this production and enjoyed it 

Edited by ninamargaret
Clicked the wrong button!

20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Try again! Liked this,production when the Royal did it, but agree there is something a bit creepy about the doubling of Drosselmeyer doubling with the Prince. The Arabian Dance in it was originally,danced,by Alexander Grant and I think was choreographed by Ashton, but I may be wrong. The version in the Vienna production was much changed. And I do love the costumes for the snowflakes! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Very much enjoyed the Armide/Sacre streaming last night. My knowledge of it was nil and it took me a while to sort out who was who. Sacre is a highly imaginative version, especially from the point of view of lighting, and I thought the whole ballet was extremely well danced. It has made me even more keen to see Hamburg's Neumeir offerings. I've only seen his Midsummer Night's Dream on stage, so the chance to see more is welcome.

Well, I've only watched the Armide half so far, and was very taken with it, although I too struggled with the characters - should have paid more attention to the cast list at the beginning, no doubt.  Must admit that I hadn't realised both sides of the bill were Neumeier, though - I was expecting something rather more traditional!

I too thought that Armide would be done sort of 18th century pastiche and was quite surprised when the characters were listed. Must look into it more closely and also watch the DVD of the Hamburg Nijinsky again.I wonder if Neumeier was trying to do a Nijinsky trilogy?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I too thought that Armide would be done sort of 18th century pastiche and was quite surprised when the characters were listed. Must look into it more closely and also watch the DVD of the Hamburg Nijinsky again.I wonder if Neumeier was trying to do a Nijinsky trilogy?

Neumeier is obsessed with Nijinsky and there are more Nijinsky-related ballets in his oeuvre.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I wonder if Neumeier was trying to do a Nijinsky trilogy?

The website for Pavillon d'Armide at Hamburg Ballet says this about the work:

The ballet takes place in the sanatorium "Bellevue" at Kreuzlingen, in the pavilion and park area of the institution and in Alexandre Benois' decoration for the ballet "Le Pavillon d’Armide" - and in the memory and imagination of Vaslaw Nijinsky.

So yes, it's some kind of sequel to his "Nijinsky".

13 minutes ago, Angela said:

The website for Pavillon d'Armide at Hamburg Ballet says this about the work:

The ballet takes place in the sanatorium "Bellevue" at Kreuzlingen, in the pavilion and park area of the institution and in Alexandre Benois' decoration for the ballet "Le Pavillon d’Armide" - and in the memory and imagination of Vaslaw Nijinsky.

So yes, it's some kind of sequel to his "Nijinsky".

Thank you for this I'll have a look tomorrow.

• 4 months later...

The Vienna State Opera has changed its details:

"Starting with the 2020/2021 season, live performances of Wiener Staatsoper will be accessible free of charge at the Wiener Staatsoper website (play.wiener-staatsoper.at) and on updated apps for Apple, Android, and Amazon Fire TV devices."

I assume this applies to the ballet performances as well.

• Like 2

Can't think what they've done. Logged in without pre a couple of days ago. Tried yesterday and was told my 'credentials' were inaccurate. I've emailed them to find out what's going on. I'm reluctant to spend £15 monthly at this rate, especially as their operatic offerings for 20/21 are not particularly interesting to me.

• 4 months later...

Giselle  from the Vienna State Ballet

18 January 2021, 13:00

Performance of September 28, 2017

Musik: Adolphe Adam

Choreography: Elena Tschernischova after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa

Musical direction: Valery Ovsyanikov

With among others: Nina Poláková, Masayu Kimoto, Rebecca Horner, Andrey Kaydanovskiy, Alice Firenze, Leonardo Basílio, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/event/bfed8cc7-f022-4ac1-a082-0e4605b774a4

• 3 weeks later...

The Vienna State Opera will continue to present recordings from its extensive online archive on play.wiener-staatsoper.at for the next few days:

The Vienna State Ballet can be seen tomorrow, Tuesday, February 2, 2020 with Peer Gynt in the choreography by Edward Clug - in the recording from December 2018, dance among others. Jakob Feyferlik, Alice Firenze and Eno Peci.

Debussys Pelléas et Mélisande from June 2017 will follow on February 6th, including with Adrian Eröd, Olga Bezsmertna, Simon Keenlyside, Maria Nazarova, Franz-Josef Selig and Bernarda Fink; Conductor: Alain Altinoglu.

All streams listed below are available free of charge in Austria and internationally on the website play.wiener-staatsoper.at

The start is at 7 p.m., the broadcasts are available for 24 hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Giselle from Vienna State Ballet Sat 27 Feb

Saturday, February 27, 2021, 7:00 p.m. - Ballet
Adolphe Adam
GISELLE (performance of September 28, 2017).
Conductor: Valery Ovsyanikov
Choreography: Elena Chernishova after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa.
Featuring Performances: Nina Poláková, Masayu Kimoto, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/

On 22/02/2021 at 15:49, oncnp said:

Giselle from Vienna State Ballet Sat 27 Feb

Saturday, February 27, 2021, 7:00 p.m. - Ballet
Adolphe Adam
GISELLE (performance of September 28, 2017).
Choreography: Elena Chernishova after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa.
Featuring Performances: Nina Poláková, Masayu Kimoto, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

Just be careful of the time as UK it is GMT  this is probably on at 6pm in the UK not 7.

39 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

Just be careful of the time as UK it is GMT  this is probably on at 6pm in the UK not 7.

Sorry - yes, it is 7:00 CET.  

It shouldn't matter as it's not live. I've watched masses of streams from the Wiener Staatsoper in the last year & the only time I've had a problem was when I was an hour out for the live Rosenkavalier back in December. All the pre-recorded ones you can start watching at any point after 6pm GMT so if anyone starts at 7pm rather than 6pm it'll be just the same.

Vienna State Ballet - DON QUIXOTE (performance of 28 May 2016).

Monday, 8 March 2021, 7.00 pm (CET)

Choreography: Rudolf Nureyev

Conductor: Kevin Rhodes

Featuring Performances: Maria Yakovleva, Denys Cherevychko, Ketevan Papava, Roman Lazik, Olga Esina, Corps des ballet of the

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

The Vienna State Ballet pays his tribute to Rudolf Nureyev - the exceptional artist would have celebrated his 83rd birthday on 17 March - with Swan Lake from 2014 with Olga Esina and Vladimir Shishov conducted by Alexander Ingram (17 March), as well as Raymonda from 2018 with Olga Esina and Jakob Feyferlik, conductor: Kevin Rhodes (19 March). Broadcasts can be accessed for 24 hours.

Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 7.00 p.m.CET - BALLET
Piotr I. Tchaikovsky
SWAN LAKE (performance of 16 March 2014)
Featuring Performances: Olga Esina, Vladimir Shishov, Eno Peci, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

Friday, 19 March 2021, 7.00 pm CET - BALLET

Alexander Glazunov

RAYMONDA (performance of 13 March 2018).

Featuring Performances: Olga Esina, Jakob Feyferlik, Vladimir Shishov, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

Conversation ealier this evening

Me: I'm going to watch Raymonda from Vienna this evening.

My mother: Is that the one where the man does big jumps in Act 2 or 3?

Me: That describes pretty much every classical ballet!

That was the third streamed Raymonda I've seen. Each has been about a year apart. It evidently takes me that long to forget what a boring ballet it is! So little plot, so much dancing-for-the-sake-of-it. Medieval settings definitely bring out the worst in costume designers, especially in the headgear department: the men's feathered helmets were particularly risable.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

So little plot, so much dancing-for-the-sake-of-it.

Maybe Petipa already saw the end of story ballets on the horizon? Fokine's Chopiniana/Les Sylphides is just eight years away...  When I watch the Raymonda reconstruction from Milano, I see a huge ballabiles at the end of every act, big abstract structures for the corps, with demi solos, solos, the principals. If you drop the very small story and the costumes, it could almost be Balanchine.  Petipa's contemporaries were bored of him for exactly that reason, I know, and Fokine moved towards expressiveness and drama. But hey, what if the old Petipa of Raymonda was an early Balanchine? Just a thought.

• 1 month later...
Guest oncnp

Vienna State Ballet    Wiener Staatsoper (wiener-staatsoper.at)

All streams listed below are available free of charge in Austria as well as internationally on our website play.wiener-staatsoper.at. Each begins at 7:00 p.m. and the broadcasts can be accessed for 24 hours.

Saturday, May 1, 2021, 19.00 - BALLET
Léo Delibes
SYLVIA (Performance of 10 November 2018)
Choreography: Manuel Legris after Louis Mérante et al.
Conductor: Kevin Rhodes
With: Nikisha Fogo, Denys Cherevychko, Davide Dato, soloists, corps de ballet and youth company of the Vienna State Ballet, among others

Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 7.00 pm - BALLET
Piotr I. Tchaikovsky
SWAN LAKE (Performance of 16 March 2014)
Choreography: Rudolf Nureyev
Conductor: Alexander Ingram
With: Olga Esina, Vladimir Shishov, Eno Peci, soloists, corps de ballet and youth company of the Vienna State Ballet

Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 7.00 p.m. - BALLET
Edvard Grieg
PEER GYNT (Performance of 4 December 2018)
Choreography: Edward Clug
Conductor: Simon Hewett
With: Jakob Feyferlik, Alice Firenze, Eno Peci, Zsolt Török, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

Friday, May 7, 2021, 7.00 p.m. - BALLET
Adolphe Adam
GISELLE (Performance of 28 September 2017)
Choreography: Elena Chernishova
With: Nina Poláková, Masayu Kimoto, Andrey Kaydanovskiy, Rebecca Horner, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet
Edited by oncnp

On 11/04/2020 at 22:21, JNC said:

I did manage to catch this and I was very glad I did! Thank you for highlighting this on the forum.

The sets and costumes were very lavish as you say, very impressive and opulent (but in an elegant, refined way). The dancing and choreography were excellent. I hope Vienna releases some more live streams as I would certainly watch them based on the quality of this performance. 

Highly recommended to all. 

(I can't compare with the Royal Ballet/Ashton version as I haven't seen that...but now I'm very tempted to get the Royal Ballet DVD of this one if it's anything like this!) 

On 12/04/2020 at 11:00, DanJL said:

This is a really wonderful production - lovely start to my Easter Sunday! Thanks so much for the link and recommendation 🙂

I've only seen Sylvia once before - on the Royal Ballet DVD a few years ago when I first started watching ballet. Will definitely re-visit and keep an eye out for other productions. A beautiful ballet!

Well, a year or so on, I've finally managed to get to see this Sylvia, and was very glad I did!  (It's available for another couple of hours, I think).  Very attractive, probably more dancing for Orion and Eros than in the Ashton version, but a little more "generic" in its casting - i.e. doesn't have many individuals, gods and demigods in the way that the Ashton has, but just general "villagers" and so on in Act III.   Which begs the question of where Ashton get Apollo, Ceres, Terpsichore and so on from - were they there in the original?  And also, is Aminta's Act III solo "borrowed" from Act III of Coppelia, or did Coppelia borrow it from Sylvia?  I would have assumed the former, but I might be wrong.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this Sylvia, glorious dancing for the whole cast, and isn’t Nikisha Fogo something special!  I can see why she was promoted to top rank by Manuel Legris around this show.  San Francisco are lucky to have her.

I also noticed Natascha Mair and am really looking forward to seeing her at ENB. 

Also spotted RBS trained Scott McKenzie ... who was joyous as one of the lead villagers.  I see he has moved to Canadian National Ballet.

On 03/05/2021 at 00:46, alison said:

Which begs the question of where Ashton get Apollo, Ceres, Terpsichore and so on from - were they there in the original?  And also, is Aminta's Act III solo "borrowed" from Act III of Coppelia, or did Coppelia borrow it from Sylvia?  I would have assumed the former, but I might be wrong.

@alison I'm glad you finally got to see the Sylvia of Manuel Legris  who went back to the original choreography by Louis Merante and the revival by Lycette Darsonval to get as close to the original as possible.

I read somewhere that the various gods and demi gods in the RB version were an invention of  Ashton himself who intended a Sleeping Beauty style divertissement featuring various dances for these characters but ended up by cutting them.

They were not reinstated in the last revival by Christopher Carr and Monica Mason. Only the ensembles for the gods and  the pas de deux for the goats remain.

I think your assumption  about Aminta's solo is correct

Edited by stucha
Clarity

• 4 weeks later...

ienna State Ballet will live stream A Suite of Dances program tonight and it just started.

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/event/4cad1ae9-b7c3-4ba5-92ce-91886cbcca05

Robbin's Glass Pieces, A Suite of Dances, The Concert and Balanchine's Duo Concertante. 

Program https://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/spielplan-tickets/detail/event/985677145-a-suite-of-dances/

the streaming will remain online for 72 hours. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

LIVE STREAM

tänze bilder sinfonien

On September 21st we will present a live stream – free of charge – of our production Tänze Bilder Sinfonien from the Wiener Staatsoper. The premiere of this triple bill evening took place in June and was celebrated by the audience with standing ovations.

The program includes three masters of contemporary ballet: Symphony in Three Movements is a perfect example of George Balanchine’s elegant virtuosity, Alexei Ratmansky sheds new light on the forms of classical ballet with great naturalness in his piece Pictures at an Exhibition and Martin Schläpfer gains his energies, imaginations, and movement for his ballet impulses from Shostakovich’s last Symphony for his new creation Sinfonie Nr. 15 for the Wiener Staatsballett.

Robert Reimer conducts the Wiener Staatsopernorchester which will play Symphony in Three Movements by Igor Stravinsky and Symphony Nr. 15, A mino, op 141 by Dmitri Shostakovich. Alina Bercu plays Modest Mussorgski´s Pictures at an Exhibition.

The evening will be streamed live and free of charge, starting 7 pm CET, 2021, and it will be available for 72 hours. It is a gratuitous and worldwide live stream presented on the following website: play.wiener-staatsoper.at/

• Like 6