Vocational school - are they very prescriptive about diet

ZooZoo

It's interesting of our children's perception of quality food. My DDs are at the same school as celeb and I hear similar wingeing of school food. However I recently he'd the opportunity to try it! Had to collect my younger DD as she wasn't well and as I arrived at tea time to collect her at the med centre. They

had brought over a selection of the tea menu for those children in the 'sick bay'. I was also encourage to eat so I sampled want was on offer and the quality and taste of the food was very good, veg was not overlooked, chicken stir fry was good, sausages were tasty and not fatty and the salad was crisp and varied. whole meal rolls were fresh nd the selection of yogurts good. We did receive an email last term about nutritional value of 'tuck'. We need to reinforce our family values of food which are generally in line with school values. At the end of the day though the kids put into their mouths what they want to.......so we need to reinforce and take as much responsibility as the school. It is more difficult for those who can't get home each weekend, parental influence does wain if they are only coming home at exeat weekends. Also not all families have the same approach to nutrition and so there is also peer pressure. Keep up the god work celb, good sense will prevail, as you say your DD looks good and healthy!

Edited by Nana Lily
  • Like 6

Ah yes - staying off topic with the button phobia. It is actually not that rare - koumponophobia or something like that. Ever since DS was about 2 has absolutely refused to wear buttons, but is not so bad he can't see or touch them (which some people are like!). Actually Steve Jobs had this, so perhaps my DS will become a multi-millionaire too!! Just in the last year or so, DS will wear buttons if needed because of costume etc! I have become an expert in button free dressing!

• Like 1

Ah yes - staying off topic with the button phobia. It is actually not that rare - koumponophobia or something like that. Ever since DS was about 2 has absolutely refused to wear buttons, but is not so bad he can't see or touch them (which some people are like!). Actually Steve Jobs had this, so perhaps my DS will become a multi-millionaire too!! Just in the last year or so, DS will wear buttons if needed because of costume etc! I have become an expert in button free dressing!

So doesn't he wear jeans?? How do his trousers do up?! Or is 1 button ok?!

• Like 1

Staying very much off-topic, this button phobia reminds me of a children's film (animated) which came out a couple of years ago. I think that it was called Coralline. In it, the girl finds an alternative, seemingly perfect family which she can become part of on condition that her eyes are replaced by buttons. This puts her off(!) and she decides to go back to her own family who she finds are better than she had previously thought. The part of the film where the "perfect" mother brings out her buttons and needle and thread is really quite scary. Did anyone else see this film? It was very good, very much in the genre of a dark, traditional fairy-tale.

• Like 1

I am also worried about my DD because of slightly different reason. If she ever makes it to vocational school she will spend her whole free time eating! She is the slowest eater you can think of! She is not fussy and eats right amount of food for her age and activity level but it takes her 30min to eat single sandwich, an hour to eat a dinner even if it's a dish which she likes! She is known at her school for being always last to finish her lunch (while others are already playing outside etc). Is there anybody else with a similar problem?

Happy mum I have the same problem with my DD. Family meals are painful as we can have finished eating, had pudding and washed up before my DD is half way through her meal. At school she seems to be slightly better but I think that is because the food is not as hot in the first instance. I have just given up trying to rush her and we now leave her sat at the table by herself, understanding that she will get upset if we force her to hurry up. I

We had the same issue with my eldest DD. When she was in key stage 1 it would take her an hour to eat two small squares of a sandwich. Over the years it has got better and there seemed to be an acceleration in speed of eating around 11, a few months before she went to vocational school. They all get there in the end "in their own time"! However on a family Sunday lunch my mother at 70 is still finishing of her main course when we have finished washing up and having a coffee, she was the same as a young girl apparently and that was during "rationing".... she or we just get on with things. We are all different aren't we?

edited...forgot how to spell. as usual. x

Edited by Nana Lily

Staying very much off-topic, this button phobia reminds me of a children's film (animated) which came out a couple of years ago. I think that it was called Coralline. In it, the girl finds an alternative, seemingly perfect family which she can become part of on condition that her eyes are replaced by buttons. This puts her off(!) and she decides to go back to her own family who she finds are better than she had previously thought. The part of the film where the "perfect" mother brings out her buttons and needle and thread is really quite scary. Did anyone else see this film? It was very good, very much in the genre of a dark, traditional fairy-tale.

My eight year old freaks at the meer mention of watching this film that I took my now 10 year old to see no problem. Even the advert freaked her out! The buttons for eyes and sewing needle in a box was very weird!

Well I am also trying to leave my DD alone and let her eat as long as she wants/needs. But I sometimes have a feeling that she is "waisting" her time. Her every day is full of different activities (mainly ballet or Pilates) and it would be all so easier if she could eat faster! She could have a bit of free time just to relax or play. Nana Lily, does your DD have (or had) any problems at vocational school? Was she late at school after breakfast or maybe she was walking hungry having not enough time to finish eating?

Edited by Happymum

My dd is fairly slow at eating (although chocolate cake disappears at high speed) and she tends to get indigestion if she rushes.

Sometimes I think a show of complete indifference is what's called for with children's eating habits. They need to be in control, and perhaps we need to give them the space to make their own decisions. if they find they are missing out on something else because they are eating too slowly, the penny might drop of its own accord and they will decide to speed up by themselves.

• Like 2

I've known a number of slow eaters over the years and we have just made allowances for them. As far as I was aware the advice is to eat slowly, which makes you feel fuller.

I know I am the opposite and eat too quickly. This started when I worked with a smoker who ate very quickly and then immediately lit up (in the days before smokers were banned indoors). I was so fed up of my sandwiches being corrupted by smoke that I started eating my lunch at the same time and speed as her. It's a habit I haven't managed to break yet.

I have bought the groupon deal and have read the smallprint. Think I need to be careful to cancel after the 4 boxes, otherwise they keep on delivering and debiting your account. Not sure what dd will make of it - more a chocolate and sweets girl, but worth a go for £5.