YBS (Yorkshire Ballet Seminars) Pop ups

Creakingstool

Hi,

Just wondered if people could give me a little feedback.

I'm considering booking one, maybe 2, of these pop ups for my daughter. She is 10 so would be the younger of the age groups. She can be a little shy and anxioud so I'm just wondering if these pop ups would be a good option or a little daunting for her going alone. Are they a nice nuturing class? Should she expect feedback etc from the teachers? 

It would be a first for us both doing something like this, outside of the dance school and just my daughter so I'm a little apprehensive. I just feel this might be a good taster before looking at longer courses.

• Jan McNulty changed the title to YBS (Yorkshire Ballet Seminars) Pop ups

My DD (12) did the YBSS Easter pop up this year. It was lots of fun and she was totally inspired by learning the Bluebird dance from Sleeping Beauty. I'm not sure how 'nuturing' it was - it was quite a big group. I think there was little individual feedback. She went with a friend and I don't think she would have gone on her own. Can you interest a friend in going with your DD? 

• 1 month later...

My DD done their pop up workshop at the end of the summer in Leeds, she too is only just 10 and can be a little shy. She LOVED the workshop, said it was the best workshop she’d done. She said there was nothing too hard but was very interesting, the teachers were lovely and it had a lovely atmosphere. 

We’ve booked again for the nutcracker one in Leeds.  

3 hours ago, Rose-ballerina-Mam said:

My DD done their pop up workshop at the end of the summer in Leeds, she too is only just 10 and can be a little shy. She LOVED the workshop, said it was the best workshop she’d done. She said there was nothing too hard but was very interesting, the teachers were lovely and it had a lovely atmosphere. 

We’ve booked again for the nutcracker one in Leeds.  

Oh thankyou for this :) I have booked DD on the Leeds nutcracker workshop too. The Birmingham one sold out before I made a decision!! Really glad to hear that your DD enjoyed the summer one.

Edited by Creakingstool

On 25/09/2019 at 23:07, Streetdancer said:

My DD (12) did the YBSS Easter pop up this year. It was lots of fun and she was totally inspired by learning the Bluebird dance from Sleeping Beauty. I'm not sure how 'nuturing' it was - it was quite a big group. I think there was little individual feedback. She went with a friend and I don't think she would have gone on her own. Can you interest a friend in going with your DD? 

Just realised I didn't acknowledge this, thanks for your feedback. It sounds really positive :)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Creakingstool said:

Hi. Anyone who has visited the Yorkshire Dance building, any advice on parking? Thanks xx

Yorkshire Dance is just down the road from Northern Ballet ( about 100m! ) opposite BBC! 

Parking is at Quarry Hill, like it would be for Northern Ballet, but at the moment about half the carpark is blocked off due to building works of some kind! Nightmare! 

I don't know where else to suggest parking but the Leeds markets and Victoria ( John Lewis ) car parks are not too far away. I don't know how much they cost. Quarry Hill is £7.50 if you are there for up to 5 hours ( £4 for 2hrs ) 

Enjoy. DD loves dancing in the Yorkshire Dance studios... says they are wonderful. 

38 minutes ago, Pixiewoo said:

Yorkshire Dance is just down the road from Northern Ballet ( about 100m! ) opposite BBC! 

Parking is at Quarry Hill, like it would be for Northern Ballet, but at the moment about half the carpark is blocked off due to building works of some kind! Nightmare! 

I don't know where else to suggest parking but the Leeds markets and Victoria ( John Lewis ) car parks are not too far away. I don't know how much they cost. Quarry Hill is £7.50 if you are there for up to 5 hours ( £4 for 2hrs ) 

Enjoy. DD loves dancing in the Yorkshire Dance studios... says they are wonderful. 

Thanks @Pixiewoo  thats really helpful. Travelling over from Manchester so want to be prepared. I'll check them out. DD is very excited :)

1 hour ago, sunrise81 said:

Parking is a nightmare at the moment. It's much easier to park in Leeds NCP Market car park!!!!

Thanks. Says £18.50 for 5 hours which seems a lot. Will look at other options though incase I cant get on the Quarry Hill carpark.

36 minutes ago, glowlight said:

If you are coming from Manchester - is getting the train an option?  There are direct trains from Manchester to Leeds, and Leeds station is about 15mins walk from Yorkshire Dance (or a short taxi ride).

I did think about train but it starts at 9.30 so its just too early really, still have to get to the station this end. Car is better option this time although I do like train vs driving most of the time!

Consider parking just a short time to drop off then go drive somewhere else for the day where parking free! Maybe a visit to a small town with good shops or a national trust property? Or out of town shopping centre? Then return & Park just time needed to watch any showing & to collect.....

I've been told by a friend today that Trafalgar Street Carpark is cheap and about a 10 min walk from Yorkshire Dance.

She also recommended The Brewery Carpark ... apparently cheap on a Sunday but a fair walk. 

Hope your DD has a brilliant time. 

Edited by Pixiewoo

Well we had a pretty nasty journey over the M62 this morning in the snow and rain plus the tyre pressure warning light coming on in the car so had to pull off and check it!! We managed to park easily on Quarry Hill carpark once we got to it around the building site.

Everyone checking us in seems lovely and friendly and DD happily went in with some tinsel tied around her waist!! I'm sure she'll have a great time 😁😁