Daughter's first injury

MummytoIzzy

Bless her.  My daughter is only 8 and adores dancing.  The day before yesterday she fell on her knee and was in a lot of pain.  She has been limping everyone. We took her to minor injuries and they x rated her knee.  They said a possible dink in her kneecap but believe it's ligiment damage strapped her up sent her home with the following advice.

Rest, elevation, pain relief, ice and physio after a week if it's still painful.  She is struggling and I hate it :( she is missing her royal ballet lesson today and is so sad poor thing.  She is missing stretching/dancing and mummy feel hopeless as I can't take her pain away.

Sorry for the essay but hate to see her sad :( my friend who does k taping has taped it for me which has helped.  She said she can feel swelling in the meniscus.  A positive that it's not the ACL?

Thanks for listening anyone that got this far x 

She's so young and really unlucky to be getting injuries like that, but one bit of advice I would offer is, when you think she's fit enough to start normal dance training, give it another week. In other words, don't rush it, hope it's sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Thank you.  Hospitalang she has chipped and slightly broken one of the bones but it wouldn't benefit from being immobilised so carry on doing as we're doing.  Tendon and ligiment damage start physio in 2 weeks when inflammation has gone down.  Said walk as pain allows elevate and pain meds etc.  Poor thing bless her x 

@MummytoIzzy so sorry to hear you little DD has injured herself. Just check that when she starts physio they have a good background in dance and dance related injuries - They need to understand the movement she will be making once healed - I had a friend who got told two different rehabilitation plans - One from the hospital physio and one from a private physio worth specific dance background/knowledge.

Remember you could do some core work and maybe shoulder/back flexability to keep her in the 'loop' of dancing. 

I hope it heals well and as quickly as safely possible. X

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. It’s horrible not being able to dance properly due to injury. Can she still attend classes to watch so that she can still learn and not feel like she’s missing out completely? 

Hope she has a speedy recovery xx

• Like 1

Poor thing, wishing her the speediest of recoveries! This will only make her stronger, though it must be so hard at the moment.

I find that watching other dancers improves my own dancing, so maybe she could have a watch of the Royal Ballet's live stream classes on YouTube, or just snuggle on the sofa and watch some ballets (maybe some happy ones like La Fille Mal Gardée or Don Q?) 

When I have an injury (I'm lucky to have only had minor tears really) I always like to practise my port de bras just stood or sat still, and try to make it as graceful as possible. I find that sometimes I forget about my arms in classes!

-AB x

• Like 1

Oh your poor little girl, that must have been a nasty tumble. On a positive note, at least it has happened just before the school holidays so there is a natural rest period coming up. Its not audition or exam season and I guess regular classes will be breaking up for the holidays soon. So her friends will soon be taking a break too and she has the summer to recover properly before hopefully getting back to classes refreshed and healed in September.

I can empathise with the frustration. My sporty son is currently injured (from a silly slip on a school trip so not even a "proper" injury in his book!) and it is right in the middle of his sporting season. He had got off to a pretty good start to the season but is now watching himself plummet down the rankings as he can't compete. But that is life unfortunately, and hard as it is these things happen. The temptation to return too early is very strong but needs to be resisted as it is likely to be counterproductive. A month or two of missed classes or even a written off season feel like a disaster to our kids at the time, but ultimately they aren't going to have a long term effect on their lives. But a permanantly damaged joint certainly would.

Keep her occupied other ways. Ask if non weight bearing activities are an option - my son has been advised to swim - but if not, find other stuff to fill the days. She will soon be back on her feet hopefully. Young tissues generally heal well if given the conditions to do so.

• Like 1

When she has physio in a couple of weeks I'll ask about swimming.  That would be a really good activity for her as she lobes swimming!

Her teacher has already said about hoping she's well and being able to take on her summer classes.  That's not really the forefront of my mind currently.  She does have a workshop booked mid August which is half a day (something pretty special) which instead of cancel I may see nearer the time of not well enough to participate if she is allowed to watch instead?

I did have other summer schools lined up but have cancelled them as I don't want her doing anything that intensive so she can rest.

Thanks again I didn't know you could watch royal ballet classes online?  She will love that!  

Amazing thank you.  I hope her physio is understanding.  She has to wait 2 weeks to start.  I have already had to stop her several times today from trying to dance and hurting herself.  She just can't help herself.

She just adores dancing!  I will show this to her emphasising the fact she has to stay still resting! 

It’s very difficult when they’re young.  If you can try to explain to her that no dancing now means a quicker return to dancing, that might help.  Every time she dances on a sore knee she’s delaying her recovery.  

Does she like colouring? This might keep her busy:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballet-Colouring-Book-Buster-Activity/dp/1780552858/ref=asc_df_1780552858/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310783995501&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18283998221734368427&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007198&hvtargid=pla-566097145137&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

• Like 1

As it's almost the end of term this suggestion possibly doesn't really apply, but how about seeing if she can watch her regular classes.  

As others have said you learn a lot by watching others and your brain is still doing the learning even if your feet aren't.  

Also it means she will still get to see her friends.

As they get older it becomes quite common to see students with injuries observing class.  Learning how to deal with injury is all part of the training!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, funnybunny said:

Does anyone know the figures of what % of dancers quits in young age due to injuries? 

I did read something recently about the number of those who have competed in the YAGP and continued dancing as a career.  It was a relatively small percentage.  Sorry but I cannot  find the article - maybe others on the Forum have seen it and can recall more details.

poor girl, definitely rest as much as possible, I remember damaging the ligaments in my knee falling down the stairs when I was ten and it is so hard moving around and doing things.

I was going to suggest practicing port de bras like a previous poster. work on her head, shoulder and arms is never wasted.

1 hour ago, Vonrothbart said:

At such a young age, the girl has time to fully recover and start again. I reckon that would be better than coming back with even a very slight injury.

Sorry to hear of her injury, and I hope she makes a speedy recovery. 

I agree with Vonrothbart, coming back too soon could cause a chronic issue that raises it ugly head in the future.

• Like 1