Adult Ballet Intensives Summer 19

sophie_rebecca

Hope everyone is doing great, I started to put a list together of the adult classes over summer as our regular schools often take a break so thought I'd share it here, please feel free to make me aware of anymore.

The Ballet Retreat 9th June (Corps de Ballet single day)
https://www.theballetretreat.com/

Aspire Ballet London 14th-20th July Summer School
https://www.aspireballet.org/summer-2019

Royal Academy of Dance 15th-19th July Adult Classes
https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/…/adult-summer-course-…/

Yorkshire Ballet Seminars 20th July
https://www.ybss.co.uk/…/adult-ballet-class-rep-masterclass…

Yorkshire Ballet Seminars 27th July
https://www.ybss.co.uk/…/adult-ballet-class-rep-masterclass…

Chelsea Ballet 5th-10th August Adult Summer School
http://www.chelsea-ballet.com/summerschool/

The Ballet Retreat 24th-26th August (Classical Rep)
https://www.theballetretreat.com/

• Like 4

Thanks for posting these, sophie_rebecca - however when I click on a lot of the links, they are trying to go through Facebook to the actual website, and as such they aren't working for me on my work computer as they come up as Blocked Content.  Not that I can't google them for myself, but this may cause problems for other forum readers who don't have Facebook accounts.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

I've also been meaning to ask - how quickly do The Ballet Retreat weekends (in Leeds specifically) tend to sell out? I'm tentatively considering the August Bank Holiday one, given that I'm free, and I just know if I wait for the convenience of the next time they announce a London date, it'll be on a weekend when I absolutely can't go... I have never done TBR before but seem to have become a regular in David's classes!

Oops! that's what I get for copy pasting from a Facebook post like a lazy person 😉  regarding The Ballet Retreat, August tends to be very popular, they used to sell out within a few weeks but as they do a lot of year it's tended to fall back to 2-4 weeks before the event they book up. there are a lot of regulars on the TBR weekend, for the first few years I wen't to them all but last year I scaled back to just the Leeds ones, if you do come let me know & I'll say hello.

• Like 2

If you are in London the Chelsea Ballet one can be very useful if you have flexible working hours.

This is because you just pay by the day for any classes you do.....you don't have to attend every class and there are several to choose from each day.

I know for sure there will be a lovely contemporary class every day from 1-2pm if you can get an extended lunch hour break etc.

And there will be a great Ballet and Rep class every day from 4-5.30pm if you can get off a bit early etc.

You don't even have to do any class every day so it's pretty much what you do you pay for so good for people who can't get the whole week free or more than a couple of days etc.

All the classes are in the big studio at the top in Pineapple.

• Like 2

Thanks for compiling this list Sophie. The Ballet Retreat does sound rather appealing. I'm always happy to hear of places outside London that cater to adult dancers.

Ballet For You in at WAC Arts in London have a couple of intensives - http://www.balletforyou.co.uk/holidayintensives (I went 2016)

WEEK 1: Monday 29th July - Friday 2nd August 2019
WEEK 2: Monday 5th - 9th August 2019

Dar Danse (a little bit further away in Morocco) has a couple of ballet retreats later in the year - https://www.bubbleonthebeach.com/ballet-retreats (I went 2018)

Beginners/Improvers: Sunday 22nd -Saturday 28th September

Intermediate (3+ years of regular ballet classes): Sunday 6th - Saturday 12th October

• Like 2

And of course, there are the original summer dance intensives for adult dancers, run by Sun King, in the USA. I know at least one of the posters here has attended. We collect information about summer intensives for adults, plus a useful guide to survival! over on Ballet Talk for Dancers, if anyone wants to combine vacation & ballet.

• Like 1

One could also include the City Lits Rep classes.......with Alexander Simpkins .....just four sessions all on a Tuesday evening starting Tuesday July 9th ( so also the 16th, 23rd, 30th ) 

These are two hours from 6.30 to 8.30pm and are listed as a separate course on the City Lit website from Alex's usual Tuesday evening classes so a separate summer course.

The last one in April was at The Place.....I'm sure Lucy who was the teacher last time said this one would be at the Place too but best  to check with them. 

The last one was a Bayadere inspired barre then some Bayadere inspired Centre work all as a warm up then we learned the whole of the Shades piece ...it was a brilliant two hours and I prefer the  shorter workshops these days!!

Oh thanks for finding all these, Sophie. Hmm, I'm very tempted by the York Ballet Seminar but given that I'm doing  the RAD summer course I don't think it would be feasible. I'd like to do Chelsea Ballet summer school but not sure I can justify hopping to and from London every week or two (as it is I'm already doing the London Ballet Retreat shortly before the RAD). Doing something in August would be good to spread the summer activity out a bit. (Goes away to count the pennies/look for cheap train tickets.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, balletgremlin said:

How quickly do you usually get a reply from the Ballet Retreat? I filled in their online form and haven't heard anything since.

Normally within a few days, you can give Hannah a poke at hannah@theballetretreat.com if it has been longer.

Thanks for all the posts everyone, I was going to update the OP but didn't realise I can't edit my own posts but at least we're creating a great directory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sophie_rebecca said:

Thanks for all the posts everyone, I was going to update the OP but didn't realise I can't edit my own posts but at least we're creating a great directory.

The forum settings allow you to edit a post for up to 30min after posting it, but not after that.

On 24/05/2019 at 21:57, LinMM said:

I loved your last workshop on La Bayadere and would do this like a shot but unfortunately will be away then ....can thoroughly recommend to others though 

Thank you so much LinMM!!! We are doing a R&J one on the 15th July at The Place if you’re free to come we’d love to see you there!

Best, Lucy

• Like 1

On 24/05/2019 at 22:25, Sheila Beelam said:

Where do the London Ballet Masterclasses normally take place please? Just trying to work out logistics of a trip down from Norfolk! X

Hi Sheila, yes as LinMM says, we are usually doing them at the Place. We have also used WAC Arts in Hampstead before but our website will let you where each one is.

Hope to meet you at one in the not too distant future!

Best,

Lucy

Well, I have booked onto the Chelsea Ballet summer school - I'm going to do the afternoon ballet class and the rep class each day. I will just have to book my train early to get the cheapest fare and impose myself on one or the other of my offspring. I was amazed that Louise not only remembered me from my Chelsea Ballet days but my (then dancing) children too. It must be around 35 years since my son was a rather fidgetty doll in Coppelia!

(Off topic grandparently boast: his youngest aged 3 has just started ballet, after waiting impatiently for several months on a waiting list. At the end of her first lesson she had a tantrum and had to have her fingers prised off the studio door - "NOOO! I. JUST. WANT. TO. DAAAAANCE!!!!" She speaks for us all.)

• Like 8

Bless her! My then two year old daughter cried with frustration watching her eldest sister dance in an end of term class. She was in the same class at the beginning of the next term thanks to a very kind and understanding dance teacher. Sorry if I have taken this off track. 

Edited by Fiz
Needed to add something.
  • Like 2

Oh that's great Red shoes will be so nice to meet you. Laura Hussey ( who is dancing a role in the ENB Cinderella in the round at the Albert Hall) takes that afternoon pointework and Rep class unless you are thinking of adding in Richard Ramsey's afternoon ballet as well? 

When I danced in Coppelia with Chelsea Ballet I often played Franz ( tall and loved jumping in those days) with Louise's dad as Dr Coppelia's!! we used to have such a laugh rehearsing! I was always terrified though of Clive making me laugh (which he had a great capacity to do) when I was supposed to be "asleep" on stage in the performance. Happy memories.

I was with them between 1974 and 1984 .....perhaps we will discover have met before!! 

• Like 1

Best add these to the list:

Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th August 2019 Glasgow; The Dance School of Scotland.

The Sleeping Beauty; studying  Aurora solo with Scottish Ballet Principal ballerina Bethany Kingsley-Garner

10am to 4pm  daily

Cost £150

http://www.enavantballet.co.uk/dayandminiballetretreats/

Saturday 14 and Sunday 15th September 2019 Dublin, The Dance Theatre of Ireland.

Don Quixote: various solo’s including Kitri, Cupid and Queen of the Dryads based on Carlos Acosta’s production for The Royal Ballet.

11am to 5pm daily

Cost 160 Euros

Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th October 2019 London, The Place.

Rep from Manon taught by dancers from the Royal Ballet Claire Calvert and Alexander Campbell

Saturday 12.30 to 6.30pm

Sunday 11am to 5pm

Cost £200

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Michelle_Richer said:

Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th October 2019 London, The Place.

Rep from Manon taught by dancers from the Royal Ballet Claire Calvert and Alexander Campbell

Thanks! We're already booked on the Dublin one (we did it last year, it was lots of fun) but we hadn't seen this one somehow. 

Thanks for the updates everyone, I had a bit of an idea today & I hope this is ok to share, I've added the intensives to a shared calendar & embedded it on my blog to make it rather easy to find retreats throughout the year, I'll keep it up to date as I find out about more dates throughout the year. it's now also the home of the adult ballet map so if you know of someone looking for adult ballet classes near them feel free to share the link.

https://sophiedancer.co.uk/adult-ballet-uk/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sadly, due to a family emergency, I've had to withdraw from the Chelsea Ballet summer school. And since I didn't book a place on the Leeds August Ballet Retreat that's no more dancing for me until the new school term. Pity, as I was feeling in great form by the end of the RAD summer course (it was challenging but excellent stuff) and I was just raring to continue.  I also met two other members of this forum at intensives this summer, which was a lovely surprise.

11 hours ago, The_Red_Shoes said:

Sadly, due to a family emergency, I've had to withdraw from the Chelsea Ballet summer school. And since I didn't book a place on the Leeds August Ballet Retreat that's no more dancing for me until the new school term. Pity, as I was feeling in great form by the end of the RAD summer course (it was challenging but excellent stuff) and I was just raring to continue.  I also met two other members of this forum at intensives this summer, which was a lovely surprise.

I do hope all is ok with the family ❤️

TBR August is on a waiting list at the moment but it's worth joining as a quite a few times people pull out a week or two ahead, they've also recenrly added October 5th-6th at Sadlers Wells & 24th Nov at Yorkshire Dance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sophie_rebecca said:

I do hope all is ok with the family ❤️

Thanks Sophie. It's a bad patch in a long term medical issue and we all have to help out. I had been wondering whether it was worth going on the waiting list for the Leeds August retreat. However I am already down for the October London retreat - I'm usually in there like a shot as soon as I get the email!

• Like 1

I’m still free over August Bank Holiday but have mainly been put off booking TBR by the eye-watering cost of accommodation (I visit Leeds quite frequently, and usually find it a very reasonably-priced city to stay in, but apparently not that weekend...) For future reference, does anyone who has attended this TBR session before have any hotel tips?