THE LONDON BALLET CIRCLE: NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it wholly fascinating … how he juggles Northern Ballet commitments with commissions from other companies, with TV and advertising work too.  The insights into pros and cons of creating ballet with less familiar dancers.  The conversations about lighting and film work.  With the all important caveat … film will NEVER replace live performance.  (Kenny’s own emphasis)  

I am in awe of successful choreographers like Kenny … they are truly creative geniuses.

And he is obviously thrilled to have one of his pieces featured in a triple bill … where the other works are by Jiri Kylian and Sir Frederick Ashton! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

*** In-person talk with MARA GALEAZZI ***

Our in-person talk with former RB principal Mara Galeazzi is fast approaching … 5 days time … Monday 11 July at 7.30pm at the Civil Service Club.  She will be interviewed by Graham Watts.

Mara had an outstanding and long career (20+ years) with the Royal Ballet, excelling in dramatic roles, especially Mary Vetsera in Mayerling with Ed Watson.   And also in contemporary works …Chroma, DGV etc.  She continues to dance and be involved in creative projects.  

Non-members are very welcome to attend, please book here 

booking link for Mara Galeazzi

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this up as our next ZOOM is on Tuesday next week with this delightful Royal Ballet couple …

YUHUI CHOE & NEHEMIAH KISH

Tuesday 2 August 2022

7pm UK time

Zoom interviews are offered free to members.

Non-members are welcome to join and can book at this link.  
https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/in-conversation-with-yuhui-choe-and-nehemiah-kish-via-zoom

Anyone considering joining as a member might be tempted by these current treats that are on offer to members only …

- a visit to a day of summer school classes at Masters of Ballet Academy in London, with lessons taught by school director and former ENB principal, Elena Glurjidze and guest teacher, former Mariinsky principal, Denis Matvienko.  

- free tickets to attend the launch of a new book ‘Cranko: The Man and his Choreography’ presented by author Ashley Killar, RBS trained, former dancer at SWRB and Scottish Ballet, and former AD in South Africa and New Zealand. 

More info on these here 

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/pages/27-upcoming-events

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are delighted to announce upcoming events with 3 high profile names…

ALEXEI RATMANSKY ‘in conversation’ with Graham Watts … via Zoom

Wednesday 7 September 2022

7pm (UK time)

FEDERICO BONELLI ‘in conversation’ with Leanne Benjamin … via Zoom

Wednesday 28 September 2022

7pm (UK time) 

TAMARA ROJO in person ‘in conversation’ … hybrid event with Zoom

Royal Ballet Upper School

Monday 17 October 2022

7.30pm (UK time) 

Advance booking is essential due to limited numbers at the venue. 

Zoom access for the first two events (Ratmansky, Bonelli) is free to members, anyone else is welcome to join by booking for £5 at https://www.tlbc.org.uk/pages/27-upcoming-events

Booking is limited to members only for this month for the ROJO event and costs £5 for in-person or zoom access.  Non-members may book from September at a cost of £10 for in-person or zoom access. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, alison said:

Can't even do that.  The antivirus screams every time I try :(

Alison - the Chair of LBC (Susan) will email you a copy of the Newsletter (next one due out early October).

If anyone else is experiencing similar problems, please contact the LBC direct via info@tlbc.org.uk

• Thanks 1

I finally managed to book for Tamara Rojo by the simple(?!) expedient of forwarding the LBC's latest email to one of the few of my computers which doesn't have Bitdefender installed.  Worked fine, so I still don't know what Bitdefender is screaming about. 

• Like 1

*** REMINDER - RATMANSKY TONIGHT ***

Alexei Ratmansky “In Conversation” with Graham Watts for the LBC

7pm 🇬🇧 time

Non-members are welcome to join.   Book here

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/in-conversation-with-alexei-ratmansky-via-zoom

Zoom-only events are free to members. 

The Zoom link has been sent to members and all who have booked so far.  It is also available to members in the ‘Members Only’ section of our website. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LBC said:

*** REMINDER - RATMANSKY TONIGHT ***

Alexei Ratmansky “In Conversation” with Graham Watts for the LBC

7pm 🇬🇧 time

Non-members are welcome to join.   Book here

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/in-conversation-with-alexei-ratmansky-via-zoom

Zoom-only events are free to members. 

The Zoom link has been sent to members and all who have booked so far.  It is also available to members in the ‘Members Only’ section of our website. 

THANK YOU LONDON BALLET CIRCLE, GRAHAM WATTS & MOST OF ALL MR ALEXEI RATMANSKY.  What a fascinating and uplifting evening it has been.

For people outside London (like myself) who are not usually able to attend "in person" events these zoom talks were a lifeline during lockdown and continue to provide much pleasure as well as being very informative.  Joining LBC has definitely been rewarding and I would recommend to everybody if only for the zoom events.

• Like 10

Sadly missed this…. Quick question (as a relatively new member…) 

Did/do we members automatically get ensured the links to join this & other zoom events or do we have to register/book our attendance tl get link?

I didn’t get an email today or any reminder email for event (actually seem to learn  more on here about LBC activities!) 

The Kenneth Tindal talk I watched was fabulous so really do want to ‘attend’ more!

9 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Did/do we members automatically get ensured the links to join this & other zoom events or do we have to register/book our attendance tl get link?

I didn’t get an email today or any reminder email for event (actually seem to learn  more on here about LBC activities!) 

The Kenneth Tindal talk I watched was fabulous so really do want to ‘attend’ more!

I got the zoon link at the bottom of a 4 Sept e-mail entitled LBC: Updates, Ticket Discount Offer, and, ZOOM link for RATMANSKY - 7.9.2022

Unfortunately being 5 hours behind, I can never see them.

8 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I got the zoon link at the bottom of a 4 Sept e-mail entitled LBC: Updates, Ticket Discount Offer, and, ZOOM link for RATMANSKY - 7.9.2022

Unfortunately being 5 hours behind, I can never see them.

Hmmm…. Will re-check my email inbox & junk folder but don’t recall getting that…. Will follow up….

A recording of zoom events would be really helpful for many I’m sure & get around time zone/work/family issues for many!

9 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I've always had an emailed zoom link a couple of days before the event.

I thought the zoomed events were going to be made available in the members area of the LBC website after the event but apart from one I can only find written reports.    Hopefully the film of Alexei Ratmansky's talk will be made available to members.

Regarding the posting of Zoom recordings on the LBC website.............

The original intention (implemented) was to post them in the Members Only area a couple of months after the event. Unfortunately, a number of them had videos embedded and were cancelled by YouTube. It is taking a while to edit out all the videos and catch up with the posting of the subsequent recordings - but we will 'get there' as soon as possible. [The two Trustees involved in doing this have full-time occupations so their voluntary work for the LBC has to be fitted in around work and study.]

Meanwhile, selected talks of particular significance are being posted in the News Listing section of the website: https://www.tlbc.org.uk/pages/26-news-listing There is a video of the interview with Leanne Benjamin and Edward Watson from October last year there now. Scroll down further to find a recording of Ivan Putrov's talk following his mounting of the amazing gala for Ukraine.

And, yes, all LBC Members are posted the normal Zoom links automatically two or three days ahead of the event. Additionally, the link is available in the Members Only section of the website.

Edited by LBC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Here are links to videos of our talks that the trustees chose to make available to all.  

Ivan Putrov, shortly after the ‘Dance for Ukraine’ event

”In Conversation” with Graham Watts

6 April 2022

https://youtu.be/3IoXUuaRyzg

Leanne Benjamin & Ed Watson

”In Conservation” with Sarah Crompton

2 November 2021

https://youtu.be/aoQArtYgUoE

Henry Danton

”In Conversation” with Monica Mason

18 May 2021

https://youtu.be/GYBdLVTYTrU

Written reports of our talks are also available to all here

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/pages/28-reports

And there is more info, including short reports of all events on our ‘News Listings’ page

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/pages/26-news-listing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Confession....I checked back through my email & I did indeed have the newsletter with the zoom link so my fault for missing....is there a way to get an email alert the day before or on the morning of the day? Noe to self...must get more tech savvy to set up alerts myself!!!

I look forward to catching up viewing recordings etc.

Thank you LBC

• Like 1

The trustees are delighted to share publicly the recording of Alexei Ratmansky 'in conversation' with the LBC on 7 September 2022

Alexei Ratmansky is choreographer and Artist-in-Residence at American Ballet Theatre.  He spoke to us about his life and career as a dancer, as director of the Bolshoi (2004-2008) and subsequently as a choreographer staging new ballets and reconstructions of existing ballets, using archive material, all over the world. 

He also specifically talked about his upcoming Giselle at the London Coliseum, 13-17 September 2022, that he is staging for United Ukrainian Ballet to raise funds for displaced dancers and the wider humanitarian cause.

The cast includes international stars such as: 
- Alina Cojocaru (RB, ENB, Hamburg principal, trained in Kyiv, principal at Kyiv National Opera Ballet)
- Katja Khaniukova (ENB first soloist, Ukrainian, trained and principal in Kyiv)
- Christine Shevchenko (ABT principal, born in Odessa) 

Full casting https://londoncoliseum.org/artists/giselle-cast/

Book last minute tickets https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/giselle/

Edited by LBC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We have TWO very special guests coming up next …

▪️On Wednesday 28 September 2022 at 7pm we have FEDERICO BONELLI, artistic director of Northern Ballet since May 2022.  I’m sure Federico needs no introduction here after his 19 years as a principal at the Royal Ballet.  He will be “in conversation” via Zoom, with another Royal Ballet luminary …. former principal Leanne Benjamin.  

This event is free to members, who will receive the Zoom link automatically a few days in advance.  Non-members are welcome to join:

Book for Federico

▪️Our Monday 17 October 2022 at 7.30pm we will be “in conversation” and in-person with TAMARA ROJO at the Royal Ballet Upper School.  She will be talking with Graham Watts about her new role as Artistic Director at San Francisco Ballet, shortly before she leaves English National Ballet.

We anticipate that in-person tickets will sell out for this event. They are well sold already!  So please book soon to be sure of a place.  We are also offering a Zoom option for those living further afield.

Both members and non-members do need to book tickets for this hybrid event, whether choosing in-person or zoom options:

Book for Tamara

Edited by LBC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, LBC said:

*** Reminder ***

Federico Bonelli interviewed by Leanne Benjamin … TONIGHT at 7pm

More info and booking for Zoom access here

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/in-conversation-with-federico-bonelli-via-zoom

Thank you Federico Bonelli, Leanne Benjamin and London Ballet Circle for a wonderful event.

• Like 5

Given the interest on here concerning the Nureyev Galas, we thought that Forum members might be interested to know that a written report of The London Ballet Circle interview with Nehemiah Kish and Yuhui Choe is now online:  https://www.tlbc.org.uk/resources/yuhui-choe-and-nehemiah-kish-in-conversation

A recording of this event will be made available in the Members Only area of the LBC website in due course. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 28/09/2022 at 22:10, Peanut68 said:

sadly missed due to a (very pointless)school parents information evening....sigh....😢

Any juicy bits of info re: upcoming programmes/plans?

Only what is publicly available 😉

Federico did mention how amazing choreographer Mthuthuzele November is … which was a good plug for our upcoming zoom interview with Mthuthu on 7 November 2022 at 7pm

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/In-conversation-with-Mthuthuzeli-November-via-zoom

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The London Ballet Circle (LBC) held its first hybrid event this evening when Tamara Rojo, who leaves for San Francisco in six weeks' time. spoke to the dance writer Graham Watts.

The talk was very well supported by people attending at The Royal Ballet School in person and many more on Zoom. Both groups of attendees had the opportunity to put their questions to Tamara at the conclusion of the evening.

The big news, as far as the LBC is concerned, is that Tamara has graciously agreed to become its first international Vice President. We are absolutely thrilled!!!!

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

If you were watching all the rehearsals on the WBD feed from the Royal Ballet yesterday, then you will have seen our next Zoom interviewee, Mthuthuzeli November, rehearsing his latest ballet ‘Wailers’ for Northern Ballet at the ROH.   ‘Wailers’ is currently being performed in the ROH Linbury Theatre.  

Scroll to 2.58.00 for the ‘Wailers’ rehearsal which is preceded by an interview with Federico Bonelli, AD of Northern Ballet