ROH ticket exchange fee increase

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It would really be better if they charged say 10% of the ticket price, given the huge differences in ticket prices throughout the House.

i suspect if they did that now, bridiem, they would say:  '10% of the ticket price with a minimum tariff of £4'.  Having made the change I don't think they would now reduce it ... or do you think I am wrong? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

i suspect if they did that now, bridiem, they would say:  '10% of the ticket price with a minimum tariff of £4'.  Having made the change I don't think they would now reduce it ... or do you think I am wrong? 

No, I'm afraid you're right, Bruce!

That would lead to £25 return charges for some operas - I can see that going down well ;) 

"You've replaced the headlining soprano with a Jette Parker Young Artist, and you want me to pay how much?!"  (Although one would hope they would waive, or at least reduce, such a fee in those circumstances)

• Like 1

Bruce, as you know, I'm a much less frequent visitor to Row T amphi than you are, but you're also aware of the number of no-shows - there have been times when only you and I, and possibly one other, have been there, out of a total of I think 6 standing places?  (It's a problem which sometimes afflicts lower-house standing as well, not to mention lower slips).  And these with a full house, so presumably no free seats for anyone to slip discreetly into.  I always ask here first if I have a spare row T standing, but there are rarely any takers - yet every time I take the trouble to return them - and it is trouble, in terms of the time it costs me, for minimal gain - they do vanish pretty much straightaway.  Given that it's pretty easy these days to return tickets, it really angers me when people don't, assuming that there aren't extenuating circumstances.

• Like 2

I'd "Like" your post if it wasn't so depressing, Lindsay.  Do all these people just not bother showing up?  (Are they perhaps the same people who book Bolshoi broadcasts at one of my closer Picturehouses and then never turn up to those either?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alison said:

I'd "Like" your post if it wasn't so depressing, Lindsay.  Do all these people just not bother showing up?  (Are they perhaps the same people who book Bolshoi broadcasts at one of my closer Picturehouses and then never turn up to those either?)

I wonder if some of it can be accounted for by touts. I recall reading (I think) Alex Beard talking about the problem of the cheapest tickets in particular being sold to the unsuspecting for hugely inflated prices. Maybe some of these unused standing places didn't find a buyer at a high price.

On 23/06/2018 at 11:08, bridiem said:

It would really be better if they charged say 10% of the ticket price, given the huge differences in ticket prices throughout the House.

I would be upset with that arrangement because it makes the assumption that those of us who buy expensive seats are loaded and therefore another £10/20 on top is of no consequence.

I always buy good seats because I can't handle the height upstairs, nor can I stand.  I spend most of my disposable income at ROH and am proud to do so, but that doesn't mean it isn't a struggle.  As I am also a Carer for an elderly relative and suffer from unreliable trains (yeah, boo-hoo!), I do have to return my tickets on occasion.  Losing another wodge of cash on top of not being able to attend the performance would cause me to re-think.

• Like 1

Like Penelope, I have problems with seating, and end up having to pay high prices, which means that my ballet going is restricted to just three or four performances each season. it's already eye watering enough (and opera has become unaffordable from this season) so please don't make it worse!

• Like 3

On 25/06/2018 at 21:05, ninamargaret said:

Like Penelope, I have problems with seating, and end up having to pay high prices, which means that my ballet going is restricted to just three or four performances each season. it's already eye watering enough (and opera has become unaffordable from this season) so please don't make it worse!

Yes, I have now had to scale my opera visits right back.  I haven't seen the prices for the new season yet as I am not a friend, but I doubt I will be able to afford opera.  Might save my pennies for Kaufmann, though.  His Othello was one of the great experiences of my life and I will pay whatever, especially as I see he is to be paired with Netrebko who was utterly amazing in Macbeth.