Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

Looking forward to that just packing bits and pieces now.

Just like to point out that that step being discussed has a French origine in name so is called pas de chat.....literally step of the cat!! See you tomorrow at some point.....I won't be there till 1ish though

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will write on this thread as probably not enough for separate one.

First day of Chelsea Ballet summer school and inspite of having to drag my suitcase up to the very top three flights of very steep stairs have had a great day. And the studio is nice and big.

Did Richard Ramsey 's Ballet and then the contemporary given by his wife Bethany. Richards class is always a joy as he does the masterclass sometimes and is a very clear demonstrator as well. I haven't done contemporary since doing a year of Limon based classes at Jacksons Lane in London around 1984/5. But this class has completely inspired me again!! We worked a lot with spirals and also using body weight. It was really good practice just keeping the rythym going and I can thoroughly recommend this style to help ballet students loosen up and come into expression more for anyone who has a bit of difficulty with this.

Our last piece across the room was to Nina Simone and suited the sequence perfectly!! Bethany has a lovely style of teaching too very inspiring!

So survived the first day with two classes. Tomorrow have added a Pilates class so fingers crossed will survive day two as well!!

• Like 3

Forgot to say while waiting to go into Richards class Lauren Cuthbertson turned up apparently she and Bethany were at the Royal together. She seems such a nice person and has had incredibly bad luck with her foot injuries. It looks like she is ready to go back now though. I would really love her to do Fille soon I'm sure this role would really suit her!!

• Like 1

Well Lin, I though you didnt have internet access in London, but it seems to be working well. I only have it when I go down for a meal at the Travel Lodge, although it did work from my room one night.

Anyway it was good to meet up with you again today, I also met up with one of the girls from the RAD Romeo and Juliet workshop. It seem that the pool of adult active dancers is not so big.

My only regret from todays class at Chelsea Ballet is not doing the pointe class, although I did sit in and watch. Unfortunitely my heels are extremely sore especially when I first get up in the morning, only thing that help is a long soak in the bath, I guess it just the amout of ballet Ive been doing, Fortunitely Chelsea does give me the opertunity to rest during Advance Pointe and Contemporary classes, just need to get through my two ENB classes tuesday night, then I will review my foot condition for pointe work on Wednesday. Otherwise I will have to give it a miss on this course.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

Well third day and still so far so good...touch wood.

Yesterday I tried the morning ballet class with Michael Branwell who I knew from my Chelsea ballet days so was long time no see!

The class was a nice dancey one with some really lovely music more on the Cechetti style and Mike is very knowledgable about dance history and has lost none of his passion!

He does take an adult ballet class at Central in London on a Thursday about 7.15 I think so if anyone wants to enjoy an elementary/ intermediate level class with an emphasis on "the dance" aspect then definitely worth a try.

I did the Pilates yesterday but because its so early and ALL the buses seem to be full (four passed me) and then had to stand all the way into centre am not sure if will repeat the experience even though the teacher is good and I do NEED to do more Pilates perhaps a step too far at mo on top of everything else.

So today I added the afternoon pointe work but on demi.......especially as she is teaching the Tchaikovsky pas de deux piece will be doing with Franziska in couple of weeks time......but boy is it FAST!!!! Those little releves passe are a killer. Doing repertoire really makes you appreciate just how good the professionals really are!!

Also carrying on with Contemporary......just wish Bethany taught this in London somewhere!!

Well ......."I'm still standing" as the song goes though could do with someone to really stretch out my lower back!!

• Like 4

Hi Moomin yes I'm lucky I can stay at a friends when in London so don't have to travel up everyday.

Last day tomorrow. It has all been really enjoyable and it has helped in knowing I can do more than I expected I could which is encouraging though will be glad of a rest next week....dance for a week rest for a week is probably what suits me really!! Probably couldn't keep up like this on every day basis!!! But will be sad it's finishing as well. Louise has a message on the Chelsea Ballet website to say watch this space for summer school 2014 so hopefully will be one next year.

So home to a nice soak in the bath now! A few twinges this pm so probably an early night too!!

Hi Moomin

Heels are still very sore, I’ve abandoned doing pointe this time round. As Lin said it will be sad when it finishes, I have also met a lot of lovely people there. I was tempted when Mike our morning teacher gave us flyer for his class at Central, I was in two minds as to go to it tonight or not, also Pineapple had a Salsa class on too. In the end I decided against both as I still need to pace myself for my Summer School next week. At the moment my feet are holding out once I get going. Im only doing the Morning classes on Friday as I have to my bags out of the Hotel by 2pm. Then it will be mowing my lawns if the weather holds for the weekend and sorting out two weeks mail.

Coming back to an earlier part of the thread around #790 (Muscle Groups), it was interesting Tuesday night at ENB, Tom from LAB covered our class as our regular teacher was away, and he spent some time describing the muscles groups being engaged as we were doing the different movements at the barre.

I also found a couple of books in the Royal Opera House shop “The Anatomy of Exercise and Movement for the Study of Dance, Pilates, Sport and Yoga”, by Jo Ann Stangaard-Jones. Also “The Anatomy of Stretching” by Brad Walker.

Alls well that ends well!! And the Chelsea Ballet Summer School certainly did!! So in five days did five ballet classes, three contemporary classes, two pointe work (but on demi) and one Pilates. Seem to have survived with a slight sore muscle in the left thigh and some sore skin on right foot around the big toe and pad......so not too bad at all!! I got over the latter problem by putting the pads usually used over the toes in pointe work shoes into my normal ballet shoes.....very comfy....and quite good protection when jumping as well!! I had to miss the last contemporary today to go and see friends son (brother of her DD) doing his end of summer school performance at the Central School of Speech and Drama as all the rest of family now back in Australia. What happened to that awkward teenager of three years ago....has morphed into a confident and engaging 18year old who CAN act!!!! (Last weekend he took part in the Olympic bike race which is pretty tough....so not just all voice!! )

It's so fantastic to have had this summer ballet school as there are so few around for adults and can definitely recommend. In fact Louise Hudson who runs this has already booked the same week for next year and using the same lovely studio....even more appreciated after going up all the steep stairs....and more to the point the same teachers which made for such a lovely atmosphere on the course.

Louise does limit the numbers though so that real teaching can take place so no horrible overcrowding as can be seen in some Pineapple classes!

Could do with a day on the sun lounge tomorrow...though looks like bindweed control is more in the offing!!

• Like 1

Could do with a day on the sun lounge tomorrow...though looks like bindweed control is more in the offing!!

Ugh, don't envy you that.  In fact, you've made me almost glad to be shot of my garden (though I've missed it in this hot weather): it was bad enough having bindweed coming through from one neighbour, but when the neighbour on the other side started neglecting it as well I couldn't cope with the attack on two fronts!  Paint-on glyphosate is the best thing, in my experience.

• Like 1

Unfortunately my sore heels are no better today Saturday (My first day without ballet for 12 days), if anything they are a little worse. It feels very much like bruising, as for Bloch Split soles, I wear them all the time. I just think I have overdone things a bit as I did all the ballet classes at Chelsea except Friday afternoon and all the Pilates classes too, together with my two classes at ENB Tuesday evening on both weeks. That was 12 successive days of ballet.

Today has been a bit manic too, up at 6am started on the lawns quite early and the after summer school washing, went up town to get the battery replaced on my car and then to get my hair done for next weeks summer school. Next on the agenda was grocery shopping for myself and my brother in law, took his shopping down to him and finally got back home at midnight.

A little bit of tidying in the garden tomorrow (Sunday), then sort time table and cloths for summer school next week, at least I will be home every evening, but I still haven’t had any notification of what scenes we are doing from “Phantom of the Opera”.

Still plagued with the heal problem once I stop using my feet, its getting really annoying.

Started the first day of my final Summer School for this year. Today was divided into three periods, Ballet, Lyrical and Repertoire. The class was made up of mostly teens, with one girl in her early twenties and two ladies in their forties, the two older ladies left after the ballet session. The Lyrical was a new one for me and quite fun, especially rolling around the floor, I’m sure I’m covered in bruises as a result. The session I liked best of all was repertoire, we did three solo pieces from Sleeping Beauty Act 1. We then had to choose one for later in the week, which will also be used in our performance on Friday, when some of the parents and friends come in.

However our teacher has asked for volunteers to perform their Sleeping Beauty piece at an event at Burley House on Sunday, needless to say I’m in. I’m not sure what we will be wearing but I know the school has a selection of tutu’s, but not sure about one’s to fit adults.

I’m not at the summer school tomorrow (Tuesday) as they are doing hip hop and similar stuff with a different teacher. I will be in London as it my day with English National Ballet.

Wednesday we get a guest teacher who will be doing two repertoire sessions of her own, it’s strongly suspected it will be from “Phantom of the Opera”, I will enjoy that.

• Like 1

Nice classes at ENB tonight, I dropped Pineapple this week, next week my two ENB classes will be my only ballet for a couple of weeks until my regular classes finish their summer break. Hopefully my ankles should improve with the rest. One of my ENB teachers spotted how I was standing (On my heels, with the ball of the foot just off the floor), I know that has developed in the last few weeks especially when I get out of bed in the morning. My balance in pretty normal and so is the strength in my ankles in spite of the tenderness, that effect is most prominent if I have been inactive.

Got the facebook video clip today of the Sleeping Beauty scene we are rehearsing this week and dancing on Sunday, I better get some practice in now. I went to Clair’s in my local town today to try and buy some fairy wings, but the only ones they had were far too big, as we are doing the Fairy Variations from Act 1and the dancer in the clip has two little wings at the back of her tutu.

• Like 1

Wings as well as tutu!! A bit tutu much for me!!

Actually somebody sent me a card recently with a painting of the fairies from the Water babies. They are depicted with floaty dresses and wings....could just about go along with this. (sorry on the tutu versus floaty again) But is wearing wings at our age tempting fate?!!!

• Like 2

Well it looks like I have registered for the Taster Level 2 class at the ENB for next Friday (23rd) at 7pm

I say looks like because still haven't had confirmation email so hoping this has gone through and no hitches turn up.

I'm not that sure will eventually register for weekly classes with ENB but it serves the purposes of :

Seeing what ENB studios are like.

Meeting Tom Linecar-Boulting......who is running Easter Intensive for LAB next year and have heard good things about.

Warming up for the repertoire day the next day(24th) with Franziska Rosenzweig......as no classes here at mo.

So here's hoping for that email reply!......

Hi Lin

I hope you get that reply, you will really like Tom, he’s a really nice guy, and so full of enthusiasm. He also talks you through the use of muscle groups when at the barre. He has been my level 2 teacher for the past two weeks as my regular teacher was on holiday. I get homework from my level 3 teacher, only because I ask for it, she is nice too.

As for the Fairy thing, my wings have been clipped, I was told in the nicest possible way that the show at Burley House was really for the little one’s, so I wont be going to that one but I will still be performing in the parents/friends show at the school.

At present there are only two of us from the adult class, the other girl (about 20years old) is very unsure about the performance when I told her I would not be going, unfortunately that will only leave only one girls to perform that scene, as there are several for the other two fairy scenes. Hopefully the teacher will persuade one or two of the other girls to join her. I guess I will finally have to accept I’m not young anymore and can’t do fairies, I guess I should look to perform as a wicked witch instead.

Today’s rep was quite fun, we did bits cobbled together from Phantom of the Opera, and also something from Masquerade.

• Like 2

Still no email so in the end I rang up and it looks like it has gone through and so am registered for the class next Friday. They said the confirmation usually comes within 24 hrs.....well still waiting!!

Today the other girl from the adult class was informed she wasn’t to do the Burley House performance; I guess that was no surprise.

I did take half a dozen masks in for the girls doing the Masquerade bit for the show, as several were without. Those were things left over from some of my old Salsa parties.

I did get a bit of a surprise this afternoon when we were scheduled to do lyrical, the session had been halved and the last half was a rehearsal which also included hip hop and Modern which I missed on the Tuesday as I was at ENB. The teacher said I could sit and watch those parts if I wished, there was three other girls who had not done them either, that were sat down. I cant sit if there’s dancing to be had, so I said I will follow what I can from the back or just ad lib it, needless to say I really enjoyed it, my tights were back at the knees, my ballet slippers too from rolling around the floor etc and I feel battered and bruised all over but it was worth it. The other three girls were sent to join me, not sure what they made of it. We also danced the 3 fairy variations for the ballet section in separate groups, our group did the first fairy variation “Candide”, I really love that part, but sorry no tutu or fairy wings this time.

For the Lyrical section were had our old routine which was constructed by the dancers. The dancers were divided into 4 separate groups. Our teacher had placed four piles of paper on the floor, each group was to take a piece of paper from each of the piles. We had 8 counts to perform our piece, the first piece of paper had the count number of what we had to perform, the rest of the counts were up to us, the second piece was which of the 8 sides of the room it was to be facing, the third was the type of movement “Balance” which could be an arabesque and the fourth is the feeling being projected, eg strong, happy sad etc. The pieces that were designed by each of the four groups were then strung together with a suitable connecting step. The original exercise took place on Monday, we created another sequence today by the four groups and both added together as part of the schools performance tomorrow for parents and friend.

The last thing in our rehearsal was our young man (the only guy) of about 16 – 18 performed a solo roll from “Phantom of the Opera”, he was fantastic, a really beautiful dancer, however he is not at the school tomorrow, so that was his only performance.

During today’s rehearsal there was a lady in the audience area, I though she was a school patrol or something, she stayed until the end and chatted to the teacher for a short while, everyone else had gone and I wanted a quick word with my teacher too, I was about to go and the lady finish with my teacher and came over to me, she was extremely complementary, I thought she must be looking at someone else, my teacher also back up her complements, which was really nice. The lady was our young mans mum, she must have been so proud seeing him perform, and everyone clapped so enthusiastically at the end of his performance, it was a nice ending to the day.

Today was our day for the performance, it started as usual with work at the barre and a little bit of centre practice, then the teacher started to reassign girls that were performing on Sunday at Burley House, as there was only one girl from my group. Relatively quickly we went into rehearsal, mainly to teach those that had been reassigned the new fairy variations from sleeping beauty.

Later that morning our teacher came along with bags of really nice light blue tutu’s, with each of the girls names on them, these belonged to the school. However their was not one for my 20 year old friend or myself. Our teacher did manage to find my friend a pink wrap round tutu type base, but my friend later decided not to do the show. Not sure if it was a premonition or not, but something told me to put my best “Odette” Tutu in my car just in case.  I told my teacher of this and I would collect it at lunch time.

So correction on my previous posting, I did get to wear my sticky out tutu to do the Candide Fairy variation from Sleeping Beauty. There were two girls in front in their blue tutu’s and me in the centre just behind in my white sparkly-out tutu, I think it was a nice combination. Dancing that piece went quite well too, I just loved it.

From there we went back to our leotards, many of the other girls changed into white t-shirts and black leggings for the hip hop and modern pieces. Although I could have done them as I had only been through them the once, after talking to my teacher I decided not to do them in the performance. However once the music started and I see the girls performing through the doorway, the routines all flooded back and would really have liked to done them, perhaps next time.

Our lyrical section was next, performed in our ballet leotards, lots of rolling about again, but somehow I managed to keep my tights clean.

Next came “Masquerade” again done in our leotards but the mask on our faces, that ended with the supposed sighting of the phantom, so we all dashed to the opposite wall of the stage so as to look like running in fear, there we removed our masks and hurriedly put on our tutu’s on top of our leo’s this time, as if in a panic. Then assembled in groups to the four corners of the stage in order to perform our piece from “Phantom of the Opera”.

Not sure how many was in the audience but somewhere between 50 and 60, it was well attended. Unfortunately no photo-shoot had been organised, so I manage to see our teacher before all the girls had changed after the show and suggested group photo’s. Both our teacher and those in the audience were taking group photos off us all, unfortunately we were all in tutu’s on top of leo’s, probably not very professional for a photo-shoot but it has a story to tell.

Finally managed to get back to one of my regular Salsa dances tonight, after weeks of absence due to my summer schools. Saturday I get a long awaited lie-in. The end to a really nice day.

• Like 3

Glad you had a really nice dancey time today!! You've certainly been busy this summer!!

Still no confirmation email for ENB taster class next week....I have been told its okay on the phone so guess this is my confirmation then. Hope you don't have to take copy of confirmation email along to the session as some sort of proof!!

Hi Lin

You name should be on the list at reception which you tick as you are going in and leave, they ARE very slow with conformations, just turn up and you should see Karl in reception, he is a nice helpful guy. I was almost tempted to do the level 4 taster, but I have already got enough on my plate. I have to work like mad for prep on next Saturdays Sleeping Beauty Workshop as I haven't had a chance to do anything yet.

A good night at ENB tonight, most barre exercises ended in the pirouette prep position on balance, only to be followed in both classes with pirouettes in the centre tonight, at level three we managed to get this balance/pas de chat thing to end our little sequence again.

Only three weeks to go before this term ends. At the moment ENB is the only regular classes I am doing and I think its helping clear up my ankle problem. Another three weeks and all my regular classes will be back off summer break, hopefully I will get some news from my teacher on our proposed Lincoln performance.

Just recently managed to access the Forum again.....guess the prob must have been my end!! (Earlier email)

Well tomorrow will try to book the Giselle day now I know will be back from hols by then.

Am sort of ready for this Saturday.....think I "know" the Tchaikovsky piece but haven't looked at the other one much at all! I lost Youtube for the best part of a week....who knows why.....took me that long to find out what to do to rectify the prob.

I don't trust these updates for Apps anymore as it was after downloading one for Youtube (to improve it....ha ha) that it all disappeared!

Luckily I don't seem to have lost anything all my favourites are still there etc but just haven't been able to use....very annoying!!

Anyway probably for the other thread but are you definitely doing the Giselle one?

Like you after this Frid/sat no ballet at all for next four weeks so hope this Giselle workshop isn't too advanced!

Fantastic repertoire class on Saturday with Franziska of Holistic Ballet, I chose the Sleeping Beauty option, Act III Aurora’s 2nd variation. Although I was short of time to prepare for it, the only bit I was worried about (the petit battement sequence) was totally substituted by Franziska. There were other changes too but all seemed to work well with the music.  However later that afternoon when I was on the train going home, I jotted some notes down covering the changes, as I was writing stuff down, more and more details came flooding back, however there was one bit that seemed to happen but I don’t think it was taught. Part of the music was slightly longer than the steps and most of us filled it with a couple of petit retire, just like flicks, it fitted perfectly.

I typed the changes up tonight (Sunday) and checked it against my practice track, the new bits do not seem to fit as well, which has also made me unsure about where I have inserted the petit retire’s. I’ve dropped an email to Franziska our teacher for clarification, I am also not sure that the music is identical.

Its now prep for Giselle in 4 weeks time with City Academy. Only ENB to come this week.

So much balet activity is wonderful to read! Sounds like Saturday was good Michelle - I had my first class back after 5 weeks off on Sat and that was tough - but good to be back :)

Now up early for a class in Richmond which I'm doing with my teacher and my good friend Winnie. The teacher is my teacher's old teacher!

Hope you all enjoy your bank holiday too :)

Sx

• Like 2

Hi Fiz

I never though I would ever say this, but I’m really enjoying the break from such intense ballet, and down to two classes a week from a dozen, is quite a break for me and no workshops for a month. Things soon pick up gain after the next 2 weeks, and then I guess we will be rehearsing for our Christmas show at Lincoln. At the same time with all the summer schools gone too, it’s a bit sad.

• Like 1

Having done no ballet since 9th August did rather intensive weekend in the end.

On Friday eve did the ENB taster level two with Tom (LAB). Loved the class and him but if was registering for regular classes would go for a level three for me. There might be a level three taster coming up or I may ask if I can try just one class first but I'm pretty sure that's where I would fit in.....preferably with Tom taking the class....and I do think he does do one of the level threes. However once a week regularly up in London is something I would have to weigh up....especially in the winter! So not sure yet.

The upper studio where we had the class is strange. It is HUGE but very darkish and certainly has an atmosphere of sorts!! It's what I would call a "winter" room. I imagine it must get pretty stuffy in there on hot days.....couldn't see that many windows you could open but then there aren't that many hot days a year I suppose. It has a VERY high ceiling so you definitely get a feeling of space in the room but I tend to like light rather than dark where rooms are concerned. The floor was fine really well sprung you could enjoy jumping on it!!

This class finished at 8.30 so didn't get back to where I stay till 10 pm.....as I bus everywhere in London where I can....as its free for me.

This could be why I started off the Saturday very tired already or could be I was going down with the full on cold I now have!!

I loved the day with Franziska but for once I just could not keep going right to the end like I usually can.

I had learned the Tchaikovsky piece which although is shorter is much very faster than the sleeping Beauty piece so I hoped she would start with this but we did the Sleeping Beauty first....taught in sections.

I enjoyed this and she went to some trouble to talk about the different styles of the two pieces as well.

Then we learned the piece I should have known better but it was marginally different in two places which threw me initially but once had absorbed the changes I still had to adapt the quick retirees....just too fast for me and my calves by then...BUT anyway I assumed we would have at least a mini break at this point because then she wanted us to perform one or both pieces in threes!!

I did go for both....but was flagging by the time got to Tchaikovsky piece.

After this there was a chance for people to have individual coaching on parts of the choreography which that person then did that bit on their own with anyone else who wanted to look at same bit joining in at the back.

Normally I would have been keen to join in at the back on a couple of bits but had no energy left by then so just sat this out but didn't feel I could go and get my sandwiches and munch away while teaching was going on.....and I was hungry by then!!

In retrospect I think the coaching part of the day which lasted about half an hour should have come BEFORE we finally performed in threes to create a sort of breather in which we would have been allowed to access sustenance discreetly and joined in where needed to. Perhaps too much packed in this time in the available time so day could have been longer but with a proper break.

It was very good though and I still loved learning the repertoire but not at my best that day I usually finish Franziskas wanting to carry on a bit more but this time I was glad to stop as had completely run out of energy!! Franziska pointed out that here had been a lot of mental work too going on in learning the pieces and this can sometimes be exhausting as well.

Am now thinking about the Giselle workshop still haven't made up my mind as will have done no ballet and just come back from holiday the day before!!! I am assured however that there is a proper break in the middle so......

• Like 2