Matthew Bourne: Red shoes vs Sleeping Beauty

We were talking about Matthew Bourne the other day and the general feeling was that RS was a bit of a disappointment compared to SB - and that maybe the reason was that there wasn't as much dancing in RS - or at least the dancing wasn't as easy on the eye.

It's been a while now (and we saw RS in the early days) and so my memory's not that clear, but I remember thinking that the innovations for SB really worked for me.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I know that these shows aren't so much traditional classical ballet as they are something else (although I get terribly confused on dance nomenclature and classification these days).

• Like 1

Ha! I tried editing it just after I posted, but was told that I had to wait 12s. I got side-tracked and now I'm told "This content can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited."

Edited by thewinelake

I feel the reverse thewinelake, I felt RS was more interesting and inventive than SB, although both were excellent of course.  Bits of SB, particularly the ball scene were similar to Swan Lake.  In the Red Shoes I liked the ballet within a ballet with the winter storm and the Priest trying to revive the girl wearing the Red Shoes, which made me think of Giselle Act 2.

• Like 1

I much preferred The Red Shoes. I found Sleeping Beauty a bit too camp for my taste. I think that RS could be improved; IMO, some of the characterisation could be deepened but I understand that Matthew Bourne does tweak and refine his works when they return. The music is terrific, really atmospheric, and the score has been so cleverly put together using the music of Bernard Herrman from several film scores.

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Matthew Bourne: Red shoes vs Sleeping Beauty

I am looking forward to seeing Cinderella on the telly. Been wanting to see it for ages. Can I ask a question, do you think that everybody does not like Sleeping Beauty because Matthew Bourne had the temerity to tamper with the ballet text?

I like the way that Mr Bourne did Sleeping Beauty, but I can understand why some people wouldn't.

9 hours ago, Sharon said:

I preferred SB to RS - I was quite disappointed with RS, and I wondered if my expectations were to high. I haven't seen Cinderella and I'm thinking of saving my money and just watch it on TV rather than buy a theater ticket....

I preferred SB to RS too, I just wish a ballet producer had the imagination to think outside the box in the way Bourne does and give us a wholly imaginative and original production.

Regarding Cinderella, do go.  I went last night and thoroughly enjoyed it as it's one of his best works and I don't think the small screen will do it justice.  Great atmosphere at the Wells last night and a very vocally appreciative audience,  they loved the curtain calls to the music of Glenn Miller,   Do go and join in the fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MAB said:

Regarding Cinderella, do go.  I went last night and thoroughly enjoyed it as it's one of his best works and I don't think the small screen will do it justice.  Great atmosphere at the Wells last night and a very vocally appreciative audience,  they loved the curtain calls to the music of Glenn Miller,   Do go and join in the fun.

I didn't know it had started its run :(

Not see SB live so not fair to comment but agree that it was a bit camp... I adored Red Shoes. Staging was so cleverand pacing of story done very well, loved the ballet within, loved music, loved the homage to the movie with the red haired Vicky Page. I would be interested to see it again and see if I still feel the same way. The Red Shoes film was much adored by my Grandma who I had hoped to take to see it but she became ill around the time it premiered and she passed away no more than 6 weeks before I saw it in London. Needless to say I was emotionally overwhelmed by the production.