Another audition leotard post

Picturesinthefirelight

So we thought that dd's first audition would be January, and its been brought forward to November.  I havn't a clue what to look for in an audition leotard.  She is going to be auditioning for mostly musical theatre type courses although the first audition will be a ballet class.

I know camisole leotards are often recommended for classical auditions.  Dd has never ever worn a camisole leotard.  She hates anything with a racer style back too.  Any ideas where to look?

A style and colour she feels comfortable and good in regardless of strap type. For upper school auditions my dd had a couple of Degas leotards. 

You will see all types and colours but dd didn't want anything uncomfortable or showy. 

33 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

If you like a simple cap sleeve with a little rouching at the front try Gaynor Minden. Available through eBay, all sizes and a range of colours. Dd wore one to all her Upper school auditions in Navy. It doesn't have to be strappy. Good luck 🍀

Dd has that one in a pretty blue too. It's a lovely leotard. 

My eldest DD auditioned for MT college. Far more relaxed on what can be worn in a ballet class for the audition than Voc schools.  Read the small print carefully, one or two state black but no particular style. Nothing too 'busy' as she can always change later when its the Jazz/Modern class. Wearing a pretty decoration around the bun can be good, especially if you keep that for later (when hair is in pony tail). I know numbers are worn but hair decoration is known to help to be seen. Subtle but effective. 

What surprised my DD was the standard (not) of a bun for the ballet class. Sounds silly but when your main genre has been ballet, a bun seems second nature. A few MT auctioneers don't class ballet as important (Commercial being favoured) and some have never attended a ballet class before!. For those that major in ballet it certainly settles the nerves at the audition as it is quite often the first class held.  

Good Luck

• Like 2

I think for the MT auditions they often have more than one leotard. Classic black leotard and pink tights for the ballet part of the audition - does not have to be camisole and I think simple is better than lots of straps, just something she is comfortable wearing and that suits her. But then they often change for the jazz or contemporary sections of the audition - and this is where the coloured leotards come into and black tights. Singing and acting - simple and classical. Most of DDs friends wore a dress with the leotard and tights underneath. Make up is another thing to consider. Some of the MT colleges do like them to be wearing makeup - especially the red lippy. You will need read the audition requirements for each college though as some do offer guidelines of what they expect them to wear at audition

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, balletbean said:

What surprised my DD was the standard (not) of a bun for the ballet class. Sounds silly but when your main genre has been ballet, a bun seems second nature

Yes dd has found that too.  She turned up for the first day of a residential MT summer school in a black leotard & bun and felt very, very overdressed!

• Like 2

I wonder if the black cap sleeved leotards may have changed Pictures? DD also finds it unflattering. When I've watched their classes I have also thought the leg cut could be higher..... I'm afraid I can't help with cap sleeved Leos but maybe ask Sheila at Just Ballet?

2 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Yes dd has found that too.  She turned up for the first day of a residential MT summer school in a black leotard & bun and felt very, very overdressed!

Oh yes, been there. My DD also turned up without any makeup for her first lesson at MT college. Oh no, a well known teacher insisted full makeup everyday and made her do the Plank as punishment. I think the Plank was actually a test of character to see if he could get a reaction (Diva) from her. She wouldn't play the psychological game and just did as she was told.  ;)

• Like 1

I would say simple black leotard for the ballet class, then change into coloured leotard and black tights for the jazz class. When doing the monologue and song a nice dress with heeled boots or shoes{ but not too high}. Also, change the hair slightly for each class if you can. You definitely need to wear make up at most MT colleges.