Beryl H

Important cast changes ROH

Sergei Polunin is out of M and A, no replacement announced yet.

Sarah Lamb is injured, and will be replaced by Olivia Cowley as Larish tomorrow, and by Akane Takada as Mary Vetsera on Saturday evening!

Noooooo! What happened? So predictable....

What a pity re Lamb too - by far her best role and Im going tomorrow for final hit of EdW!

What a shame - I hope Cowley and Watson have had adequate time to rehearse.  I hope it's not serious for Lamb - she has several other roles coming up, so I wish her a quick recovery.

• Like 4

:lol: The ROH chose a great picture with which to illustrate the Polunin announcement.

Sarah has been busy lately, Larisch and Mary in this run plus lots of rehearsals as well. Body saying enough? Nice to see Olivia dance it though.

• Like 1

It's disappointing but I'm casting his replacement - Matthew Ball anyone ? 

I raised my eyebrows at the idea of Takada as Mary Vetsera to McRae's Rudolf - no disrespect to either artist it's just not a combination that would have crossed my mind. I guess she must have been understudying the role and it's good that she's been given shot at it rather than a complete cast change. 

• Like 3

Firstly, all good wishes to Olivia and Edward and Akane and Steven. Last minute replacements are never easy and Mayerling presents a particular challenge. [Incidentally, Akane mentioned that she was 'covering' Mary in the recent Times article.]

Secondly, sympathies to Kevin O'Hare who must have had it in mind to cast Polunin in M & A for some considerable time but did not confirm this until relatively recently - only for things to go pear-shaped now for some reason. However, he does have some very attractive options at his disposal (Muntagirov; Ball; Clarke; Richardson no less) although all four seem to be very busy currently. It will be very interesting to see how things pan out.

Lastly, I hope that all the people who rushed to buy tickets when Sergei's name was listed will 'stick with it' and enjoy what promises to be a great Ashton programme.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, annamk said:

It's disappointing but I'm casting his replacement - Matthew Ball anyone ? 

I raised my eyebrows at the idea of Takada as Mary Vetsera to McRae's Rudolf - no disrespect to either artist it's just not a combination that would have crossed my mind. I guess she must have been understudying the role and it's good that she's been given shot at it rather than a complete cast change. 

It was mentioned in The Times interview with her that she was learning the role, admittedly as understudy ....

With no disrespect intended to anyone who's had to pull out, I for one am delighted to have an additional opportunity to see Olivia Cowley's Larisch. I thought she was brilliant.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, RuthE said:

With no disrespect intended to anyone who's had to pull out, I for one am delighted to have an additional opportunity to see Olivia Cowley's Larisch. I thought she was brilliant.

Ditto. I wasn't sure whether to go tonight or not (still having many memories of last Friday's Bonelli, Morera, Cowley et al show) but this has probably tipped the balance.

• Like 5

Sarah Lamb has posted that she will not be on stage for several weeks. She says on Facebook (I am not a 'friend' so it does not appear to be confidential) that she "slipped very badly on the floor in the studio and crashed on the outside of her foot. An X-ray later revealed a small fracture".

Poor Sarah.

It will be interesting to see who replaces her in Vertiginous and The Dream.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capybara said:

Sarah Lamb has posted that she will not be on stage for several weeks. She says on Facebook (I am not a 'friend' so it does not appear to be confidential) that she "slipped very badly on the floor in the studio and crashed on the outside of her foot. An X-ray later revealed a small fracture".

Poor Sarah.

It will be interesting to see who replaces her in Vertiginous and The Dream.

I feel really sorry for Sarah Lamb :( I was thinking only recently how often she's on stage - she danced two different principal roles in the Jewels bill and now two in Mayerling. I guess it's tribute to her versatility but what a workload. Wishing her a speedy recovery. 

Edited by annamk
  • Like 11

In case anyone's wondering where the rest of this thread's gone, I've moved it into the summer 2017 casting thread here: