36 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Thanks for the link, just wondering about this bit - 

In the event of cancellation of a show by the Opéra national de Paris, the value of the face price of the ticket paid by the customer to the Opéra national de Paris will be refunded within a maximum period of two months at the request of the concerned, provided that this request is made no later than three months from the date of the show, with presentation of the non-invalidated ticket and communication of bank details (RIB or bank card number or American Express with its expiry date ), to the exclusion of any other compensation or indemnity whatsoever. These conditions do not apply in the event of force majeure, to which are expressly assimilated the cases of requisition or closure of the Opera by any public authority for any reason whatsoever and cases of national strike.

But I thought they did refund tickets when they were on strike - or are they referring to transport strikes not being an excuse for a refund

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Thanks for the link, just wondering about this bit - 

In the event of cancellation of a show by the Opéra national de Paris, the value of the face price of the ticket paid by the customer to the Opéra national de Paris will be refunded within a maximum period of two months at the request of the concerned, provided that this request is made no later than three months from the date of the show, with presentation of the non-invalidated ticket and communication of bank details (RIB or bank card number or American Express with its expiry date ), to the exclusion of any other compensation or indemnity whatsoever. These conditions do not apply in the event of force majeure, to which are expressly assimilated the cases of requisition or closure of the Opera by any public authority for any reason whatsoever and cases of national strike.

But I thought they did refund tickets when they were on strike - or are they referring to transport strikes not being an excuse for a refund

I am on their mailing list and after the last strike they sent an e-mail saying  they were refunding tickets. This may be a policy change. 

Or they do not consider the dancer's actions to be a "national strike" 

Edited by oncnp

31 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I am on their mailing list and after the last strike they sent an e-mail saying  they were refunding tickets. This may be a policy change. 

Or they do not consider the dancer's actions to be a "national strike" 

Good to know, thanks. I am worried about a Eurostar strike that might stop me from getting there - but I have booked a morning one so should be in time for an evening performance.

My first time in Paris/seeing the POB so I am quite anxious!

I don’t think you can get your money back (unless they cancel). 

however there is the paris opera bourse website where you can list tickets for resale. It’s not guaranteed but if you genuinely can’t make it you have nothing to lose, and given most performances sell out you have a good chance of reselling I would think. So similar to roh’s policy if within the 24 hours I think. One difference is you can choose to resell your ticket for a lower (not higher) value than you bought for, to further incentivise a sale if you feel this may be necessary/helpful. 

• Like 1

I’ve had experience of both refund and resale.

I had a full refund for a show cancelled by the company.  The refund happened automatically and within the month.  

I’ve also offered tickets for re-sale via the official website, and they were resold at face value and I was reimbursed automatically.  It was a sold out show (Mayerling) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not sure exactly where to ask about this - I was wondering if anyone else is attending the Jerome Robbins bill in November. I have a ticket and was looking forward to going, but due to the whole bed bug situation that is hitting the news, I'm wondering about trying to resell my ticket and cancelling the whole trip (I still have free cancellation/ability to change my dates).

I got ticket insurance with my purchase but I'm guessing it wouldn't apply here, as the performances aren't actually being cancelled.

It's a shame though as I did really want to go :(

Bedbugs have been a problem for a long time, staying in a hotel anywhere is really a kind of insect Russian roulette.  I stayed in a budget hotel in Paris right by the Opera Bastille in May and survived unbitten.  On the other hand I found myself sitting next to a woman at ROH who was constantly scatching, as I left the building my ankle was itching.  One of her damn fleas had gone walkabout.  Life is full of hazards.  I wouldn't cancel a trip out of fear of mere bedbugs.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Life is full of hazards.  I wouldn't cancel a trip out of fear of mere bedbugs.

Thank you for saying that - I really don't want to cancel! This would be my first time in Paris/seeing the Paris Opera Ballet.

Just ran into a few very scare-mongering posts on Instagram, from BBC News and Vice News. Freaked me out a bit as I don't want to bring any bugs back to my family! (I live with 3 other people and a rabbit.)

I definitely think media sensationalism is exacerbating the issue, and I would rather not cancel due to that! I will be checking all the recent hotel reviews, maybe contacting the hotel to ask them.

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Thank you for saying that - I really don't want to cancel! This would be my first time in Paris/seeing the Paris Opera Ballet.

Just ran into a few very scare-mongering posts on Instagram, from BBC News and Vice News. Freaked me out a bit as I don't want to bring any bugs back to my family! (I live with 3 other people and a rabbit.)

I definitely think media sensationalism is exacerbating the issue, and I would rather not cancel due to that! I will be checking all the recent hotel reviews, maybe contacting the hotel to ask them.

The BBC report I read yesterday said that the ‘epidemic’ has been blown out of all proportion. French media apparently pick up the topic and run with it on ‘slow news’ days as a way of embarrassing the incumbent Mayor, social media accounts are amplifying the story without a factual basis (nothing new there).

Additionally it is hoped in some quarters that a scare will put people off from attending the Paris 2024 Olympics thus generating ticket returns for currently sold out events and last minute hotel room reductions that locals and their families coming from outside Paris will be able to pick up at a fraction of the price. 
Ah the French, such loveable rogues.

13 minutes ago, PeterS said:

The BBC report I read yesterday said that the ‘epidemic’ has been blown out of all proportion. French media apparently pick up the topic and run with it on ‘slow news’ days as a way of embarrassing the incumbent Mayor, social media accounts are amplifying the story without a factual basis (nothing new there).

Additionally it is hoped in some quarters that a scare will put people off from attending the Paris 2024 Olympics thus generating ticket returns for currently sold out events and last minute hotel room reductions that locals and their families coming from outside Paris will be able to pick up at a fraction of the price. 
Ah the French, such loveable rogues.

Somewhat similar to what happens her re the media!

• Like 3