Sixth form dance course qualifications

Jishui123

Hello,

Regarding qualifications from a sixth form dance course, can anyone tell me whether the qualification (diploma/degree etc.) they obtained has been asked for/useful when getting a job  a) within the dance world and B) outside the dance world?

Also is there a recognised difference in perceived standard between types of diploma - e.g. a Trinity level 6 diploma and a diploma accredited by the BDQT?

Is it better to attend a school accredited by the CDET and would that really make a difference on your c.v?

Thanks.

I have never heard of the BDQT but on the whole I would say that my impression of colleges offering the Trinity Diploma is that these institutions offer a very high level of vocational training. Both Trinity & OFSTED inspect these courses to ensure they are fit for purpose & they also monitor graduate employment.

In terms of having a qualification I don't think that anyone auditioning a dancer will be at all concerned whether a dancer has a degree or diploma, they will be more concerns that the dancer has trained professionally at a recognised institution (this may be what gets them the audition in the first place so yes the institution attended & its reputation can be very important ) & will judge what they see st the audition.

However if the dancer decides to go into another branch such as teaching then having a Level 6 diploma or degree (or dance exam board teaching diploma such as RAD) is very important. The employer will use the fact the applicant has a diploma to establish the level of training & understanding (the trinity diploma includes contextual studies) the applicant has reached & the employer will know the calibre of the institution authorised to offer these qualifications.

• Like 1

BDQT (Board of Dance Qualifications & Training) is a similar set up to CDET. Its affiliation fees are less though, so it tends to attract smaller organisations. Do your research,there are some smaller schools which do as well or better than larger ones, where individuals can get lost in the machine!

Chantry Dance is one of their accredited courses, and some members of this board have been very complimentary about their work.  

Edited to add last sentence. 

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Remember to check the CDET website

It is important that the college is accredited by CDET and that they are not only 'recognised' by CDET

Can I just add on from your post. CDET is also important when trying to secure funding. 

My local authority will only use the CDET list of approved colleges and vocational schools when they are considering Student Finance request. 

E.G;- Elmhurst and ENB are on the list but RBS isn't!  ;)

• Like 1

If you are looking for funding from your local authority, double check their own list of CDET schools is up to date. When I wanted a grant to go to Urdang, which was a CDET school, Trafford Council didn't have this school on their list. My mum got on the phone to the council asking when their list was compiled. It was a decade earlier, when Urdang didn''t even exist. Consequently, they updated their list, adding Urdang and I got my grant.

• Like 1

I didn't know local councils had anything to do with Student Finance these days, I thought it was all centralised.

Ah maybe not. I thought students at vocational schools still got awards from local authorities, as well as student finance.

Me neither Pas de Quatre. I thought student finance was to do with the course accreditation & awarding body, not CDET.

No I was at Urdang in 1984.

My eldest DD has graduated from MT college with a level 6 Dip, at the open auditions she has never been asked about her qualifications they ask for their headshots and sometimes their CV. 

If graduates want to work in the performing arts world then their skills count but also their look, height even hair colour etc.

A Dip qualifications no matter who they are accredited to, doesn't discriminate. Auditions can and do.  One girl auditioned as a blond and when down to the last few even offered to go brunette (for the part) within the hour if it meant her getting the job!. It is harsh but it is a reality.

I know of a few girls and boys, that are the most talented of dancers both classical and MT but have unfortunately had to withdraw from professional performing auditions etc after graduation, purely because of their height (5ft on a good day) something beyond their control. The constant NO's were not paying the bills.   

One girl who managed just a few months of a 3yr Dip course at an MT college, disliked it so much, attended an open audition one weekend. That was 5 years ago, she is still working for the same company that she auditioned for moving up from a general company performer to a soloist singer and dancer. Gaining experience and skills through sheer hard work, determination and proving herself to the dance company.

There are so many examples out there.

Other points to consider, looking a bit further than the Dip v's BA.   

What does the Establishment offer for post Graduation support. Do they invite agents to the college, do they help their students source work either performing or teaching, do they prepare them on the basic everyday requirements of working within the industry (searching for auditions, Tax, Health Insu, Equity registration, DBS check for teaching etc). A student may have a BA but studio and classroom qualified or a student with a Dip but armed with full knowledge of the industry, performance and is 'street wise' of the industry. If you get my drift. 

Now that really was a disjointed rambling reply to the OP. Too many cuppa's but so much I have learnt since my daughter left the confines of her academic school and entered the world colleges and the performing arts industry. Some of which I wish I had been told or knew of beforehand.

Good Luck, at the end of the day, as parents we can only do so much, the rest is up to our dear precious children  :)

PS  Just to add if a student has qualified with a Dip then decides to change their career later on and goes down an academic route. Some funding might be available for a BA but not another Dip.  Depending on the authority you come under.  

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 3

very thought provoking Balletbean thank you. I think some get caught up in auditions rather than the harsh reality that this is the college / school that should be passionately trying to get ALL their students work and prepare them ALL mentally to work in the industry for many, many years.

• Like 2

Balletbean it's so true what u have posted ! My DD is 2nd yr at MT sch she has workshops with people in the industry that say a lot of it is if u look the part my DD already knows there will be lots of disappointment with her chosen career !! getting into a sch now seems easy comparing with getting a job !! But she knows all this she still wants it so just have to hope she succeeds !! Good luck to all our DC x

• Like 2

Balletbean it's so true what u have posted ! My DD is 2nd yr at MT sch she has workshops with people in the industry that say a lot of it is if u look the part my DD already knows there will be lots of disappointment with her chosen career !! getting into a sch now seems easy comparing with getting a job !! But she knows all this she still wants it so just have to hope she succeeds !! Good luck to all our DC x

I wish her well and hope she is enjoying her time at MT college. As you said the college is actually the easy part. So many now have said all those graduating need to have a Alter Ego. One for home and friends and one for the audition panel. Some open auditions have been likened to a 'cattle market'. Graduates have to be prepared both mentally and physically for the knock backs. They can come thick and fast. 

Ruthie Henshall wrote a fab little paperback a few years back. "So you want to be in the musicals" Easy go to read and a handy reference book as a student progresses from regular dance schools then auditioning for a college and then the big wide world of the Performing Arts and beyond.  Many points covered are relevant even for those pursing the classical route.  

Fingers crossed for them all, braver than me that's for sure   :)

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

That book sounds good sounds like I better read it as well !! Today DD has come home talking bout headshot photos and show reels for nx year !! Better start saving sounds expensive!! I know it's like cattle market we were told that 500 can turn up for open auditions !! Thought MT would be easier than ballet route but think it could be just as hard !! ????????