First Pointe shoes Soft Pointes any advice appreciated on the best brands to try

MumToTu

Dd has reached this exciting milestone and has been asked to get her first pair of soft pointe shoes over the school holidays. It is literally all she has talked about for the entire 2 weeks we've been on holiday in France... We are home again now, so no excuse now for me to not take her now ????

She returns to ballet classes 1st week of September is now too early to buy in case of growth? She is going through her puberty growth spurts early, so grows quick at the moment?

She is 11 and a half hears old, size 4 feet, narrow very bony thin feet, with a thin ankle, also many (trainers usually...) shoes aggravate/rub her heel badly easily so quite awkward feet to fit shoes in general..., her toes aren't similar length, her big toe and second toe longer. And a very high instep on top and flexible foot, any good brands that flatter this as it looks very pretty would be sad for her to lose the line in the wrong type of shoe?

Oh and one foot half a size bigger than the other, how does that work hopefully I won't have to buy two pairs ????

Any advice/reviews of soft Pointes/pointe shoes /or first Pointe shoe stories too would be so so appreciated, thank you x

We are Manchester based.

• Like 2

We have so far tried Bloch (various models), Grishko and Sancha. I know quite a few people who started with Bloch Triomphe if only because they come with suede toes and need little prep. My dd loves the Sancha but I only know where to buy them in London. She also has very narrow feet and some brands like Merlet are just too wide. Find a shop with a good choice and be prepared to try on a lot of pairs. Its not usual to have one foot bigger than the other (us again) and something like a box liner for the smaller foot can overcome this.

Snowflake, if you are Manchester based and haven't already got a shop in mind, I can recommend Fouette in Urmston. Phone for an appointment first as first shoes can take a while to find the right one. If your DD isn't back at dance for a few weeks maybe wait until a little nearer the time as her dance teacher will probably want to check them. Good luck. x

• Like 2

Thankyou mnemo, we are in London late August so that is also an option. We've visited the dance shops around Covent Garden last year so easy for us to think I know the shop that sells Sancha, love the leotards too.

Dd is in the Grishko canvas split soles in the narrowest fitting Size 4 1/2 now and loves them, a lot of her other flat ballet shoes felt baggy and she kept having to tighten the laces, the Grishkos don't have laces and come in lots of different width fittings, so she now doesn't have that distraction ???? which is fantastic.

I've read online the Sancha split soles are a similar fit also good for narrow feet, so Sancha maybe a good option for her, we will put them at the top of our list X

Snowflake, sorry if I'm not clear but is it soft pointes/soft blocks/demi-pointe shoes you are buying? Or pointe shoes.

In Soft blocks/demi pointes I would recommend Freed if you are shopping in London. Beth (the Manager), Sophie and Jade are all excellent fitters. Try the Sansha store in London by all means but personally I have never had great service in there and as a result wouldn't go there for shoe fittings.

Dancia stock a wide range of makes and Bloch have lots of different styles but you may have to make an appointment there.

Edited to add: if you are in London in late August and want soft blocks for September, that should be fine.

• Like 1

Thank you Anna C, sorry yes it is soft pointe shoes only, but would love to hear any first pointe shoe reviews too,for the future of course ???? She is not allowed the proper pointe shoes just yet. Sorry to conguse you all.

Thank you, we will try Freed, Bloch and Dancia too, I suppose the best thing is to just try as many on as possible, I have found buying flats though shops will only have so many brands they sell, so are limited to those only and I had to research online to find a good narrow flat, so I am kind of hoping to find a fitter with lots of brands to choose from, to get the best comfortable foot friendly fit for her.

• Like 1

Is there a dance shop where she can try lots of brands on at the same time, so she can compare them more easily? Ive always been recommended Dancique in Birmingham as they have lots of brands and a great fitting service, but may be a bit far for you xxxx good luck, I bet your dd is so excited xxx

For the future regarding pointe shoe fittings in Manchester you could try Centre Pointe in Denton or Barnum in Warrington. You definitely need to try various brands. Finding a well fitting pointe shoe has been easier for us than flats! I have been told by lots of fitters that Freeds are not suitable for narrow feet - don't know if this is the case for pointe shoes as they never try them on DD but the Freed soft blocks were too wide.

Edited by sarahw

Thank you Balletmummy55, it is so exciting for dd ???? Yes that's what I'm hoping for a shop that sells lots of different brands to compare, would feel terrible going into a shop trying on everything they had and then leaving empty handed as we wanted to try amother brand they didn't stock in the search for the perfect shoe ???? I've googled Grishko stockists near Manchester, and found one very close called Move so will try their first ???? As have been so happy with her Grishko flats X

Have used Dancique in Birmingham twice. They stock numerous brands. Our fitting took 1 and half hours with so many shoes tried on til best fit found. The owners both have physio background and are excellent. Are suppliers for most in area including Elmhurst. Worth thinking about for pointe shoes if happen to be in area.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but I think most brands only have one style of demi pointe/soft block shoe. Possibly Grishko and Sansha have more than one style.

In London Dancia have more than one brand of Demi pointe, think dd has had Grishko, Bloch and possibly Freed from them. Freed and Bloch shops their own make only. Freed a more thorough fitting than Bloch in our recent experience.

Dd finds Freed go soft too quickly for her liking, she describes them as soggy. Grishko look lovely but hardest to break in. Bloch her Demi pointe of choice, last longest for dd. Never had Sansha, staff friendly enough when we went to try shoes but trying to serve more than one person at a time just doesn't work and dd decided shoes to wide and deep for her.

• Like 2

Freed are probably the softest and easiest to "work in". Our dance teacher always recommends that students buy them for their first soft blocks. My daughter has found them comfortable and fairly long lasting. She says she would never try anything else. She also has supremely thin feet with narrow heels. They come in a range of widths and the narrowest fit her feet perfectly.

Freed are probably the softest and easiest to "work in". Our dance teacher always recommends that students buy them for their first soft blocks. My daughter has found them comfortable and fairly long lasting. She says she would never try anything else. She also has supremely thin feet with narrow heels. They come in a range of widths and the narrowest fit her feet perfectly.

Snowflake, DD's class have to wear demis (aka soft blocks) this year for RAD Intermediate and they all HATE them, so I hope your DD isn't the same, after looking forward to them! I suspect they have been spoilt after wearing split-sole shoes that conform to their feet easily. DD outgrew her first pair of demis and flatly refused to be fitted for any more. Instead she took her outgrown first pair of pointe shoes, which still fitted when the Ouch Pouches were removed – de-shanked them and squished the box in a door frame. Apparently one of her teachers recommended this. So when you are a little bit further along and have a pair of old pointe shoes, this is an option as presumably they are already the right width for her feet! (AND no cost involved!)

Thank you everyone for your advice Grishkos sound good, after a little online research Move Dancewear don't appear to stock Grishko Demi/soft Pointes well they aren't listed online, plus charge £10 for fitting. So I think we may go to Centre Pointe first, as I've spoken to them and they didn't mention a fitting charge. I did notice the Sancha pointe shoes on Move Fancewear online seem to be by far the most reasonable in price. With the Gaynor Mindens the most expensive. Then we will try Foulettes in Umston.

Dd is fussy with her flats, she wears a full sole satin ballet shoe with ribbons for her regular dance school and RAD lessons, I think the full sole helps strengthen her feet, these wear out so quickly !!! And canvas Grishko for everything else, associate classes, workshops etc, auditions, these are so hard wearing, fit better and look fabulous on her feet. I think she can't sew ribbons onto them, or they would look right with ribbons on and her dance school like to get them used to ribbons early.

I think she needs these soft Pointes for her inter foundation and proper Pointes too, but only a small part of the exam thankfully, they do look quite awkward to have on the feet ???? Especially if not used to moving around with then I expect the initial excitement will wear off when it comes to using them in class !

We are going to go next week will let you all know how she gets on, and which brands we try x

Just to add, her dance school recommend leather flats as they are hard wearing, but she loves the look of satin.... She is very picky, another reason I am praying we find a good pointe shoe she is happy with, are the back of soft Pointes soft like a flat ballet show around the heel? And the Pointe shoes hard? It's always the heel which can badly rub and be loose on her in a lot of regular shoes especially converses etc. So if the heels are soft like a ballet slipper I expect she's get on fine.

Just to add, her dance school recommend leather flats as they are hard wearing, but she loves the look of satin.... She is very picky, another reason I am praying we find a good pointe shoe she is happy with, are the back of soft Pointes soft like a flat ballet show around the heel? And the Pointe shoes hard? It's always the heel which can badly rub and be loose on her in a lot of regular shoes especially converses etc. So if the heels are soft like a ballet slipper I expect she's get on fine.

Demis are the same as pointe shoes, just without the hard shank along the length. So both demis and pointes are just satin at the back, with the drawstring running around. That's what tends to rub if you have it too tight. For RAD, teachers tend to recommend demis before starting pointe to get kids used to the feeling of a block at their toes and also to make them work  harder at articulating their feet. For the IF exam they don't have to wear demis and there is a small amount of pointe work. They wear demis for their Intermediate exam, until the pointe section. (In another NZ difference, I have never seen anyone wear satin practice shoes. They look so flimsy!)

Edited by Cara in NZ

Thank you so much Cara in NZ, thats great news all types of Pointe are soft backed and adjustable. And Yes, I think I am going to clam down on her love of satin shoe wearing, she's going through a pair every 2 months! It wasn't so bad when she only had one class a week last year, but she now has 3 regular ballet classes per week from September, excluding her associate classes. Her school recommend always leather. I think she thinks the appearance of them look more like real pointe shoes, they are pretty.

Yes Taxiforballet, a charge of £10, but only for your first fitting, if they stocked the Grishko Demi's I would like her to try it wouldn't be so bad. Didn't know if this was the norm or not, could get very expensive if you wanted to try few shops and they all charged.

• Like 1

Thank goodness ???? It isn't the norm Picturesinthefirelight, she is costing me a small fortune already, I am sure for the charge you are guaranteed an amazing lengthy fitting ???? But after knowing the outcome of many lengthy school shoe fittings with dd at John Lewis and Clarks where they couldn't fit her because of her narrow feet, I would hate to 1. Pay a charge and they couldn't find a suitable shoe or 2. Have them try to sell us the most suitable shoe they have for her, which isn't a great fit, because they feel they have to fit with something her as they've already charged us.

Lol, my dds feet definitely aren't small, she's a size 4 1/2 already at age 11 ???? She is tall though so they are in proportion.

I am half tempted to drive to Birmingham to try Dancique, after hearing so many positive posts about them, especially for her first fitting. I have been before called in after her Elmhurst Audition last year and I treated her to a beautiful leotard and leg warmers. The lady in there was lovely.

Ironically, I buy most of her leotards and Dancewear a from Movedancewear online, and I can't fault them at all for Dancewear, as they stock the most amazing selection, but have never visited the store, even though it's very close to where we live.

Thank you dancing shoes. Just looked at planet dance online, wow they have an amazing selection and some very reasonably priced shoes too £18 for the Sancha Demi Pointes, And they stock the Griskhos too. Already planning a good day for a trip out to Yorkshire next week. I have used planet dance before online for their wonderful selection Wear Moi leotards in practically every colour, they seem to stock everything!

• Like 1