Ballet in the cinema, 2016-2017

I didn't realise that we hadn't got an overarching thread for next season's cinema broadcasts, so I'll start this one off with a quote from Duck's posts in the thread on next year's French season:

The much-discussed documentary "Releve" about the creation of Millepied's "Clear, Loud, Bright, Forward" for POB last season will be shown in cinemas in France from 7 Sep http://www.kmbofilms.com/#!relve/csap

If anyone is aware of a launch in cinemas in the UK, thank you in advance for sharing related information :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Short notice, I know, but I've only just retrieved the email from my Junk folder: if you fancy signing up to Stratford Picturehouse, you can get a year's membership half-price if you sign up by midnight today:

Hurry! Offer Ends Midnight 29 August
  Get 50% off a year's Picturehouse Membership this weekend!

We're seeing out August with an unbelievably good deal! Become a Picturehouse Member between now and midnight on Monday and you'll only pay half price on the annual fee.

No catches! You still get all the usual great benefits: free film tickets*, generous discounts on tickets and 10% off food and drink, plus much more besides.

Membership prices (50% discount already applied)
Stratford Picturehouse
Individual Member £12.50   Member Plus £25

Our Plus Memberships come with eight free tickets and give ticket discounts to the cardholder plus three guests. An additional Membership card is given too.

To buy a Membership, please visit us in person at Stratford Picturehouse or telephone our Membership Hotline on 020 7733 2229 (lines open between 9.00 and 8.30).

Terms and Conditions.

*3D shows carry a supplementary charge of £2, or £1.30 if you are reusing glasses. Free tickets cannot be used for premium-priced events.

I think that includes a £5 discount on Bolshoi/Royal Ballet screenings :)

Ahah - it was still in my recently deleted folder - 

Get 50% off a year's Picturehouse Membership this weekend!

We're seeing out August with an unbelievably good deal! Become a Picturehouse Member between now and midnight on Monday and you'll only pay half price on the annual fee.

No catches! You still get all the usual great benefits: free film tickets*, generous discounts on tickets and 10% off food and drink, plus much more besides.

Membership prices (50% discount already applied)
Individual Member £22.50   Member Plus £40
Retired Member £20   Retired Member Plus £37.50

Our Plus Memberships come with eight free tickets and give ticket discounts to the cardholder plus three guests. An additional Membership card is given too.

*IMPORTANT* To buy a half-price Membership online, you'll need to sign up with an alternative email address to the one that received this email – or you can visit our Box Office in person. Should you require any help, just email our team on customerservice@picturehouses.co.uk. 
Memberships cannot be bought over the telephone for this promotion.

Excludes Student Membership. Terms and Conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who like “A Month in the Country”!

You might be interested to learn that there is a film based on this play.

Not a ballet but a sweet film, an allusion or rather the background material.

… In fact, in 1926 Sir Frederic Ashton as a young man saw Turgenev’s play produced in London by a Russian director Theodore Komisarjevsky - and exactly 50 years later he was inspired to make the ballet which we know.

So the new film is shown in 10 cinemas in UK now. Ralph Fiennes plays Rakitin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3EaK7hXirU

The Guardian already had a review: “This charmingly lugubrious adaptation of Turgenev’s A Month in the Country stars Fiennes…”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/15/two-women-review-ralph-fiennes-turgenev-month-country

I found that it is shown this week at Gate Picturehouse, 87 Notting Hill Gate, W11 3JZ.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Golder Age is coming on the 16th: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bolshoi-in-cinema-ballet-the-golden-age_us_57f4fea8e4b03254526295c1

Not a very good teaser in my view. There is no much movement here and it looks more like a photo session for a fashion magazine.

The ballet itself is very engaging, with a fast developing plot. The duets in this ballet - adagio, tango - are masterpieces and the group scenes were choreographed by Grigorovich with a brilliant skill, so typical of him.

It was well demonstrated in the Bolshoi's streamed rehearsal on the 4th. 

Edited: the last line added.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 3

A RARE opportunity to see

The Bolshoi Ballet (1957, UK) – 60th anniversary screening

November 2 @ 19:30 - 21:30      http://www.davidleancinema.org.uk/event/bolshoi-ballet/

Venue: David Lean Cinema, Croydon Clocktower, Katharine St, Croydon, CR9 1ET

(5 min. walk from East Croydon Railway Stn.)

A rare opportunity to see this film featuring: Galina Ulanova, Raissa Struchkova, Nikolai Fadeyechev.

Filmed in 1957 at ROH and Davies Theatre, Croydon.

Synopsis

Film version of a number of divertissements and a full length version of "Giselle" as performed by the Bolshoi ballet company on their visit to London in 1956. 

"Divertissements":

1. Dance of the tartars (B. Asafiev) 2. Spanish dance (Tchaikovsky) 3. Spring waters (Rachmaninov) 4. Polonaise and Cracovienne (Michael Glinka) 5. Walpurgian Night (Gounod) 6. The dying swan (Saint-Saens) and abbreviated version of

7. Giselle (A. Adam)

The evening starts with a 15 min. talk by a historian Carole Roberts.

Edited: The first line added.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 1

Blast. It clashes with the live relay of Anastasia, doesn't it?

Thanks for the info, though, Amelia.

Actually, this isn't available on DVD, is it? I know I have a DVD (sadly still in storage :( ) with Ulanova's Giselle and some other bits on it.

It's not actually a full version of Giselle, a main pas de deux in Act 2 is not included and other sections are cut, too.  Nevertheless, the Giselle is wonderful, both Ulanova and Fadeyechev, and Karelskaya as Myrthe; but Struchkova is amazing, too, in Walpurgis Night, her technique quite as good as anyone today and with a fantastic vivacious personality. Definitely worth seeing.

• Like 1

I'm shocked.  I just did some dummy runs of booking for Anastasia for next Wednesday, to see where I fancied watching it.  It appears that all the Picturehouse Royal Ballet performances (at least in London) are now so expensive (even in the cinemas which are notoriously difficult to fill) that even with my member's discount it's cheaper to go to my local Odeon (and even cheaper Odeons than that appear to be available!).

I'm shocked.  I just did some dummy runs of booking for Anastasia for next Wednesday, to see where I fancied watching it.  It appears that all the Picturehouse Royal Ballet performances (at least in London) are now so expensive (even in the cinemas which are notoriously difficult to fill) that even with my member's discount it's cheaper to go to my local Odeon (and even cheaper Odeons than that appear to be available!).

SHOCKING!

Actually, while scrolling through the listings for Odeon in general, I've spotted another series, All'Opera 16/17.  Most of them are indeed opera, but there's also Coppelia on 15th January.  As it features Roberto Bolle, I guess it must be La Scala getting in on the act.

• Like 1

Actually, while scrolling through the listings for Odeon in general, I've spotted another series, All'Opera 16/17.  Most of them are indeed opera, but there's also Coppelia on 15th January.  As it features Roberto Bolle, I guess it must be La Scala getting in on the act.

That is good news regarding La Scala - I hope that they will broadcast the Ratmansky reconstructions at some point.

If It's Jan 15 and coming from La Scala it will be Romeo and Juliet, not Coppelia. It was supposed to be a new version of Coppelia by Mauro Bigonzetti, but when he quit as AD last month they replaced Coppelia with R&J.

And having been sent via an Opera Forum thread to Empire Cinemas' website, I thought I might as well check availability at Bromley Empire, where I went to see The Nutcracker last year, firstly because it had availability where none of the others had, and secondly because it was cheap.  Turns out it's changed hands, become a Cineworld, and if I want to go to Nutcracker there this year it'll cost me £3.80 more than last year :(

And having been sent via an Opera Forum thread to Empire Cinemas' website, I thought I might as well check availability at Bromley Empire, where I went to see The Nutcracker last year, firstly because it had availability where none of the others had, and secondly because it was cheap.  Turns out it's changed hands, become a Cineworld, and if I want to go to Nutcracker there this year it'll cost me £3.80 more than last year :(

I fear this is just the beginning of the fall of the pound beginning to bite; the Brexit effect if you will.  (We have been promised there will be more!)  So many of these live/recorded cinema transmission costs are priced in dollars ... and I think that is what is currently being - and for some time here will continue to be - felt.  

Also I fear it may have an effect on certain foreign companies coming to the UK - certainly with any regularity as some have previously enjoyed - as the fiscal guarantees that British producers are required to offer are frequently priced in dollars as well.   (There is no question but that the prices for such events when/if offered will have to - of necessity - be considerably increased and new axioms will have to be built into future presenting agreements to accommodate current commercial uncertainties such as are frequently highlighted by certain BBC commentators.)  Surely there must come a point where even they (i.e., the presentation of international ballet companies) are priced out of the market for a spell.  That can only be I suppose good for the native balletic market sales.  Still, that said - look at Japan.  Although there is certainly less international exposure there than there once was ...  it does still continue to sponsor international balletic spectaculars (albeit of conservative fare) at mouth watering prices.  Would those continue to sell in the UK at similar rates?  I wonder.   Perhaps they would in London with an ever increasing tourist population.  Still, that too will depend on the relative balance.  As ever it is a merry dance.  Time it seems will - as it always does - tell.

Of course at some point things will have to turn upwards for the indigenous crowd.  [i'm not sure I will now live to see this.]  It is, I believe, the force of nature.  While that entity - nature that is - may be retarded, it is, - at least in my experience - impossible to defeat!  I have always taken that potential as a definite blessing.   :)

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 1 month later...

If It's Jan 15 and coming from La Scala it will be Romeo and Juliet, not Coppelia. It was supposed to be a new version of Coppelia by Mauro Bigonzetti, but when he quit as AD last month they replaced Coppelia with R&J.

And Misty Copeland???

http://www.odeon.co.uk/films/all_opera_romeo_amp_juliet/17017/

Don't they have any home-grown Juliets?  What's Copeland's Juliet like?

Wimbledon the only London Odeon showing this.

• 3 weeks later...