Where to go from here?

AmelieMum

As we are quite new to auditions etc, just wondered if anyone has any advice. Had a very disappointed daughter this morning after receiving a no fro

London ja's. quite hard to take after short wait list last year, but we obviously knew how hard it is to get in. Thing is Amelie is determined to audition again next year but has also asked me if there are other things in our area she could audition for. We are in Essex, so quite close to London. I'm pleased that she wants to pick herself up and keep going, but have no idea about any other places apart from royal ballet. She did a guest roll with the Chelmsford ballet last year and really enjoyed it, but at 9 is not yet old enough to audition for a place there.

Thanks for any advice you could give me, it's been a tough day, Hayley xx

I new to this too so perhaps not the best person to advise buti'd have thought you could look into:

DanceEast Academy inIpswich from age 10 and other classes there, Royal Academy of Dance have extra classes/ courses etc., london childrens ballet, Central ballet , look and see if ISTD have a scheme. Sure there must more more...

Do try London Junior Ballet. Having known Nicola Bowden as one of the annual guest teachers at Harpenden Summer Dance School, I can certainly recommend her as an excellent teacher.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

I'd agree; try LJB for Associates. Central don't take children younger than 11, so you have a little while to wait before you can audition there. EYB is always a lovely experience, and you could audition for LCB whose auditions are in October, I believe.

If LJB's June audition date has passed, they have another audition in September, so you haven't missed the boat. http://www.ljb.org.uk/

As fantastic as the RBS Associate Scheme is - and it is an amazing achievement to get a place - it's most certainly not the only route to a classical ballet career. Plus your dd is very young, so there's plenty of time! In some ways I think the earlier children learn that a "no" in the ballet world is not personal, the more resilient they become.

Don't worry too much at this stage though! Your ballet journey is just beginning. There'll be plenty of "no"s along the road, but I think they make the "yes"s even better. :-)

• Like 6

My dd and I were in the same situation 3 years ago having moved from Worcester to Essex at Xmas. After 4 grade 3 ballet classes her lovely ballet teacher suggested she auditioned for a RBS JA year 5 place and also for the National Youth Ballet of Great Britain. We didn't know anyone and coming from doing one ballet and modern class a week it was very daunting. Needless to say we had a lovely no letter from RBS encouraging us to try again the next year (we didn't as had a family wedding to attend that clashed with the auditioned dates) but she was sucessful with the NYB who are based in Tonbridge and they have a lovely annual gala somewhere in central london ie Palladium or Sadlers Wells. It is quite expensive, but a fantastic experience which she has done for 3 years. Auditions for next year will be Feb/March.

DD's ballet teacher was head girl at London Senior Ballet and highly recommends it. Central Ballet School run an Associate Programme. My dd would love to audition for London Junior Ballet and the standard here is again fantastic - however our dance school is very festival committed and dd is doing 2 solo's, 2 duets and numerous groups so we haven't looked at it in detail.

A few beautiful senior dancers from dd's school also dance with the Chelmsford Ballet Co - again standard excellent.

Really wish we'd known about EYB - again another lovely experience.

So PLEASE don't give up hope - your dd is very young and if like my dd you have a fantastic teacher who encourages and motivates her she will find success at some point. There are so many lovely ballet opportunities and this forum has helped us to be realistic about things.

A little friend of dd's who auditioned for that year 5 RBS JA place also got a no - a year later got a year 6 place and then got a YEAR 7 place at WHITE LODGE - never give up!

Just thought ameliemum, think your dd can join chelmsford ballet company as a guest member as she's not old enough to audition as a dancing member, my dd joined for a short time she needs to be at least grade 3 & classes were held once a month (had to pay a small charge) dd was only 9 at the time, but the class was with other junior members of the company; might be worth thinking about until she can audition next year x

Hi Ameliemum, My dd also had her second 'no' letter from RBS JA's today :(

I would highly recommend LJB. My daughter started as a JA last year and is loving it despite the early mornings. They are not so concerned with a certain type of physique, more on ability and a love of ballet. The teachers are really lovely with the children and they learn really great technique through non syllabus work, plus some flexibility and revision. They will however be moving to West Acton in September and depending on where you are in Essex it may be a jaunt around the Nth Circular or perhaps too far? Some people travel way farther to get there though and some stay over the night before!

Don't give up, there are loads of other opportunities and so many stories of dancers who were never accepted into RBS but had amazing careers! :) X

• Like 1

Hi Ameliemum, as you are in Essex have you thought about Three Counties Youth Ballet? They cover Essex as one of their counties. They take children from year 4 (they can audition in year 3 for Sept of year 4) They have JA's, MA's and SA's who perform with them. They have auditions coming up next weekend for their next season. If you want any more info let me know :)

• Like 1

This is my first post so hello everyone :) I have been part of Three Counties Youth Ballet for the last two years and have loved it. The company is small which means we get to dance absolutely loads. I would tell anyone who wants performance experience to give the auditions a go :)

• Like 1

Ballerinax and Pippinpointe - we are also looking at 3 counties for my dd who is keen to audition. Can I ask where which areas the dancers are mostly from? We are v v south Herts and although Hertford is not a bad journey, I don't know what it will be like on a Friday so would be good to find someone to share the travelling with.

AmelieMum don't get too disappointed about it. DS auditioned for JA's and was short listed one year and rejected the next (he wasn't allowed to go out of the audition to get water so dehydrated and developed a headache that kept him from concentrating). He went on to getting an MDS and DaDA at Tring.

hi Lemongirl. there are dancers from all over the place such as Cambridge, Harlow, Waltham Abbey, North london New barnet, Dunmow, Hitchin and other places but not sure on all of them.

if you want to see a short snippit of what they do, my friend had to put together a compilation for an audition over seas, so she used bits from the show, obviously the focus is on her and not the whole company (which it normally is) but hopefully you will be able to see costumes, set etc. if you want to know where to look on youtube let me know :)

• Like 1

If Clapham isn't too grim for you to travel to the London Russian Ballet School have a variety of classes through the week and weekend. Teachers are mostly ex Bolshoi and extremely good, classes are standard price but lots of funding available to help with fees if they think child has potential. I think a few of the posters here have dancers at London Russians and have been very positive about the teaching there....

• Like 1

I would also suggest Three Counties Youth Ballet. The company is professional, every child is given an opportunity to shine in their performance, and the overall experience is special to every individual...what more could you want?! Having been involved for the past 2 seasons, I can honestly say that I have been very impressed with all aspects of the company!

• Like 3

I highly recommend London Junior Ballet / London Senior Ballet currently held in Kings Cross at London Studio Centre, which I believe is moving near to the Acton area. The teaching is a very, very high standard and I know of a girl who chose London Senior Ballet over SA's as she enjoys it so much more!!

I have been doing Three Counties Youth Ballet for two years now too and I am auditioning again this year so hopefully I can be in it for the third time. It is so much fun and I've made great progress in my ballet and my performing during it!

Edited by ballet118