Misty Copeland "Barbie" doll - are her shoes brown or pink?

GTL

The new Misty Copeland "Firebird" Barbie doll appears to me to be wearing pink shoes:

http://www.thebarbiecollection.com/whats-new/misty-copeland-barbie-doll-dgw41 .

In the Firebird pictures on her own website Miss Copeland wears brown shoes:

http://mistycopeland.com/ .

Am I mis-reading the colour as too pink? I gather that black dancers often have difficulty finding suitable shoes - Eric Underwood spoke recently about it. For these not to be brown would be such a missed opportunity by the manufacturers.

I think the shoes are the right colour for the doll... but the doll not only doesn't look like Misty Copeland, it doesn't really look black at all...

THAT would seem to be the bigger "missed opportunity"...

• Like 3

I agree, Ruth. That doll looks lightly tanned!

Fair play, the plastic "pointe" shoes are definitely brown/dark nude as opposed to ballet pink, but the doll's colouring does not represent Ms Copeland accurately at all.

• Like 2

The image shows a barbie doll with darker colouring than the usual mildy white complexion. 

I am slightly puzzled by the statement that black dancers have trouble finding the right coloured shoes.  Don't the shoes normally match the tights? And if all the dancers are dancing bare legged, how many people of any ethnicity have skin that is the pale, candy pink of normal pointe shoes?  Off hand, I can't remember what colour shoes male dancers wear when dancing bare legged.

I think the shoes are the right colour for the doll... but the doll not only doesn't look like Misty Copeland, it doesn't really look black at all...

THAT would seem to be the bigger "missed opportunity"...

Missed opportunity and Miss Copeland are not really things you hear together, even with her claiming to be the reason Prince liked ballet on the day of his death.

As I understand the current situation, dancers with darker skins use makeup on their shoes to make them similar to their skin tone.

As I understand the current situation, dancers with darker skins, use this for a few more headlines. Eric included. She is only known for one thing, and her doll isn't even coloured. It certainly doesn't even look like her physically. Which i thought was the whole point of all of her press.

Edited by SwissBalletFan

As I understand the current situation, dancers with darker skins, use this for a few more headlines. Eric included. She is only known for one thing, and her doll isn't even coloured. It certainly doesn't even look like her physically. Which i thought was the whole point of all of her press.

Not a nice thing to say SBF.  There are more darker-skinned dancers than the 2 you mention.  And they are not making a fuss but still have the same problem.

• Like 4

Not a nice thing to say SBF.  There are more darker-skinned dancers than the 2 you mention.  And they are not making a fuss but still have the same problem.

I agree totally with what you say Janet. I was being a bit off, but the personal promotion of body type,vs life style, vs colour of skin, vs talent vs coverage.

I would say that Michaela de Prince, the most talented, the most able to talk about a difficult life, the least column inches, would be my hero as coloured dancer these days. I also don't remember Carlos Acosta talking much about the issue. If you are going to release a doll, then in my opinion it should follow the body image of an african american body type Misty says is also suitable for ballet. Not a lightly tanned copy of a Barbie, to me it flies in the face of the whole reasoning she is 'famous'

Edited by SwissBalletFan

"The doll features a brand-new ballerina body, with a face sculpted to Misty's likeness!"

So why don't I recognise it as being of her, then? And what is this "brand-new ballerina body", which I hope doesn't reflect the shape of *any* ballerina, Misty included.

• Like 2

My first impression of the doll was that the skin tone was surprisingly pale but on-screen colours can be deceptive and I assume Misty Copeland approved the product. I had visions of her being talked out of the shoes matching the legs on the grounds that little girls expect pink shoes.

Yes, in the white acts of Swan Lake etc all the swans wear pink or white tights and shoes but, as Janet says, it does not often happen otherwise. Just google images of Dance Theatre of Harlem or Ballet Black to see what is possible.

Comparing this particular Firebird costume as worn in real life and on the doll, there is a compromise. I wish there wasn't, but at least progress has been made.

And of course, Barbie would fall forward under the weight of her chest if she were a real woman, so I think a realistic female body shape is too much to expect! (Can't wait to see what they do if they ever get round to a "Bishop Barbie" doll).

• Like 1

It's very creepy - calf same size as thighs?? With modern technology you should be able to get an exact body shape match..... But it would be naive to expect a Barbie to be realistic. Just a shame she chooses to take this particular commercial opportunity. ...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...